http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:14:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Molyneux leaves Lionhead and Microsoft  (Read 630 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

Eurogamer

"It is with mixed emotions that I made the decision to leave Microsoft and Lionhead Studios, the company that I co-founded in 1997, at the conclusion of development of Fable: The Journey," Molyneux said in a statement issued to Eurogamer by Microsoft.

"I remain extremely passionate and proud of the people, products and experiences that we created, from Black & White to Fable to our pioneering work with Milo and Kate for the Kinect platform.

"However, I felt the time was right to pursue a new independent venture. I'd like to thank the team at Lionhead, as well as our partners at Microsoft Studios for their support, dedication and incredible work over the years."

Molyneux has joined a new Guildford-based company called 22 Cans, a venture he described on Twitter as "something really amazing, scary and brave".

22 Cans was founded by former Lionhead chief technical officer Tim Rance, who left the studio in January.

This is probably good news overall,because Lionhead were slowly becoming like RARE under Microsoft..it will be interesting the direction Lionhead now take,with them having a few key people leaving now,probably even more like RARE

It is still a strange decision to announce this just a day or two after the announcement of Fable Heroes,was Pete not happy with having to make another Fable game?

peter molyneux ‏ @pmolyneux
Today is 7th day of 3rd month of 12th year. Add them all up and you get 22. 22cans
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:44:41 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »

He was never someone who should have been a corporate shill.  He talks a little too much, which is bad for the company, and he's passionate about what he's working on, which makes having to talk about things he doesn't care about hard.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 07, 2012, 01:47:31 PM

He was never someone who should have been a corporate shill. 

Pretty much. I am not really surprised by the news, most of all the creative forces behind the older LH games (and bullfrog) has jumped the ship a long time ago (wonder what Media Molecule are up to) and Molyneux was clearly not thriving under MS and wasn't under EA either. He might seem crazy at times but I like his crazy ideas, sometimes brilliant games comes out of it and he should be out there experimenting with new ideas, not milking fable of every last drop of milk.

Hopefully he can start a new independent developer yet again and this time be smart enough not to let himself be bought by any big corporation.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »

Last time this happened, I was sad  (as Bullfrog croaked). This time, I don't mind.

I'd like to see where Pete takes us next, when he's forced to step away from any existing IP. Too bad we're looking at more than 2 years before we get any PM games.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:32:17 PM »

https://twitter.com/#!/pmolyneux/status/177406047613493248  icon_biggrin
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 07, 2012, 01:47:31 PM

He was never someone who should have been a corporate shill.  He talks a little too much, which is bad for the company, and he's passionate about what he's working on, which makes having to talk about things he doesn't care about hard.

This. He must've gotten tired of being a corporate whore for Microsoft and of developing yet another 'Fable' sequel. Microsoft doesn't practice innovation, and he's always struck me as an innovator.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »

Yup, no suprise there - I'm actually surprised it too him this long. I never thought there was much gain in the role for Molyneux and thought MS was the real benefactor in the deal, despite his habit of saying too much - uh hmm, way too much. slywink   MS got a spokesperson who's well respected and known for creativity and pushing the envelope, While Molyneux got the equivalent of a corporate straight jacket with gold and 'warm and fuzzy' lining.   Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »

Fable 4 should be interesting.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:18:01 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2012, 07:30:52 PM

Fable 4 should be interesting.

Especially considering the original Big Blue Box guys that started Fable also left to form their own company a while back.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: