http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:34:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Molyneux and Lionhead bought by MS  (Read 1650 times)
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:18:29 AM »

Yes it's sad but true lionhead have been bought by microsoft...

Peter Molyneux pisses of everyone yet again.

Read it all
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 11:41:54 AM »

Peter is the most overrated game designer in the last 10 years.  Seriously, what has me made that's been good since Populous and Syndicate?  It's a list of flawed games.  I've always found that his designs are imaginative, but they don't play well.  Unfortunately, I've purchased most of the games below, but not one has held my attention for more than a day or so.

Black and White?  Laid an egg.  Fable?  Decidedly mediocre.  The Movies?  Fun for the first 4 hours, dull as hell after that.  Dungeon Keeper?  Great for 3 scenarios, boring after that.  Theme Hospital?  Magic Carpet?  Theme Park?  Only Magic Carpet was in any way fun.

The game designs are clever, but they're not that good as entertainment.  Maybe Microsoft can make his games fun....that'd be a major accomplishment.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »

Quote from: "Blackadar"
Peter is the most overrated game designer in the last 10 years.  Seriously, what has me made that's been good since Populous and Syndicate?  It's a list of flawed games.  I've always found that his designs are imaginative, but they don't play well.  Unfortunately, I've purchased most of the games below, but not one has held my attention for more than a day or so.

Black and White?  Laid an egg.  Fable?  Decidedly mediocre.  The Movies?  Fun for the first 4 hours, dull as hell after that.  Dungeon Keeper?  Great for 3 scenarios, boring after that.  Theme Hospital?  Magic Carpet?  Theme Park?  Only Magic Carpet was in any way fun.

The game designs are clever, but they're not that good as entertainment.  Maybe Microsoft can make his games fun....that'd be a major accomplishment.

Loved Fable, still play Dungeon Keeper.  The Movies didn't interest me but I have quite a few friends who play it and love it... I enjoy watching it being played.  I actually enjoyed Black and White, but suppose I was in the minority for that.  I guess part of the reason I have enjoyed his games so much is I don't buy in to the hype.  I went in to fable expecting a fun quasi RPG and that is what I got.  Hopefully this means that BC is back on track for the 360.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:55:49 PM »

I like Fable, The Movies, Black and White 1&2, and Dungeon Keeper. They did have flaws, but I still enjoyed them.Theme Park was OK.  Didn't like Theme Hospital and can't remember if I played Magic Carpet.

I have nothing against Microsoft and I figure that the addition funding should help them more than hurt them.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »

Dungeon Keeper 2 was the *ahem* keeper of the pair. B&W is synonimous for being overrated, and personally I still like The Movies. I'm anxious as hell for the expansion pack to add the free cam though which would have made a solid game great.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »

Quote from: "Blackadar"

Disagree on pretty much every count except B&W and Fable, including Magic Carpet.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 05:29:19 PM »

You're freakin' high if you say Magic Carpet wasn't a blast. Cool

Truly deformable terrain...years before Myth.  MC2 had some of the best explosions ever (the spell Meteor III comes to mind, particularly when launched into a swarm of bees).

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »

Wow, forgot about Magic Carpet. If ever a game needs an update its that one. And then they had Hi-Octane which was released on the same engine an I raced that game to death on the Amiga.

I also have a very special spot for Flood which, for me, has one of the most memorable game endings.

Molyneux just needs to shut his trap about what his future games will include as he overshoots and expectations get crushed.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »

Molyneux just needs to shut his trap about what his future games will include as he overshoots and expectations get crushed.

Bingo!  I was at Activision yesterday and we had a lengthy conversation about this.  Microsoft will do a much better job of putting tape over his mouth if they own his studio I imagine, but time will tell.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 12:37:03 AM »

To each his own, I suppose.  I've found virtually every one of his games to be shallow and dull.  They're all great concepts that don't translate as great games.  I've been universally disappointed by his games and I'm now to the point I won't buy any more.  I've been burned too many times - I've purchased every single one of the games below.  None of them captured my attention for longer than a weekend.

Fable was on par with Dungeon Siege - good concept, mediocre execution.  For a game that's supposed to allow you to make your own choices, it does nothing of the sort.  Jade Empire, which had its own flaws, was a far better RPG for the XBox.  

Theme Park?  Try RCT, which just kills it.  It's not even close.

Theme Hospital?  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Who the hell thought this would be a good idea for a game?

Black and White?  Perhaps the most overrated and disappointing game since Outpost.  Words can't describe how bad this game was.

Dungeon Siege?  Fair, but not very exciting.  After 3 scenarios, you're really just rebuiding the same design over and over again.  It didn't have any legs for me.  

The Movies?  The Sims (and the Sims 2) is a far better game and a helluva lot more fun.  While playing the Movies, all I could think about was playing the Sims again.  That doesn't say much for The Movies.

As I said, Magic Carpet was the only one of the bunch that I even enjoyed.  It probably didn't blow me away because I got it late.  It was such a resouce hog that I couldn't try it until almost 2 years after it came out.  At that point, it was an OK game, but nothing really spectacular.

It's funny, because I played the ever livin' hell out of Populous and Syndicate.  But ever since then...meh.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 01:24:07 AM »

MS's first project for him should be Syndicate 3.  If that doesn't pan out, fire his ass.

IMO, all of Molyneux's recent failures had one thing in common: him.  He hasn't done one thing worth anything since he pissed away Bullfrog into that sad attempt at a superhero game.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 02:54:54 PM »

Well, frankly, I have enjoyed almost all of his games.  I still enjoy B&W, Fable, The Movies, Dungeon Keeper series, etc...  Sure, he talks a lot, but at least he tries to do things that are different and innovative.  I applaud him for making an effort that most people are afraid to make.  I've also met him and found him to be an interesting and nice man.  I hope that good things come of his collaboration with Microsoft.

xbox live: nude rick james
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 03:02:40 PM »

Populous and Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 are gold.  The rest, I've either not played or sucked.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »

Blue's pointed out an Incgamers interview with the lead designer of the original Syndicate, who's skeptical EA will ever get a remake or sequel off the ground:

Syndicate Creator Sceptical About Sequel
http://www.incgamers.com/News/17111/SyndicateCreatorScepticalAboutSequel?gr_i_ni
During his time at EA, Cooper claims he saw a few demo builds of a new Syndicate title and was unimpressed.

"One of [the prototypes] ... it was something about using different senses. Something was leaving a scent and the agents were following it. I remember seeing them demo it in a conference room and thinking 'what are they trying to achieve? what are they doing?'"

"The essence of the game was killing people - and that was it,” he added.

“Big guns. Strong dudes. Terminators essentially. If I have to kill everyone, I will. That to me was the essence of the gameplay."
Hmm, and here I thought the game had deep "1984" type meaning. Oh well.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »

while he rarely delivers on his designs on his games, I for one applaud his willingness to not just make another game like all the rest, because he knows financially it will do ok. He tries to go beyond, as one of the few big developers that I know off, what is the standard.... You go Peter! Pave the way for the rest of the gaming industry!!

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »

I agree with you, Razgon.  Molyneux is like a mad scientist.  The stuff he tries is always innovative but almost never works, but at least he's original.  Fair play to him, really.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »

And this changes what?  Lionhead was pretty much MS's 2nd party already so it's no surprise MS would snatch up the studio, and Peter himself considering the success of Fable 2.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »

I put the Syndicate post here cause I didn't know where else it might fit.  icon_smile

As for Peter M., I just want MS to give him the leash to help develop "outside the box" stuff like The Movies, or a Magic Carpet, or a Dungeon Keeper. I'm not saying do those games again, but let him keep thinking creatively rather than doing "Grand Theft Auto Clone 2731" and "First Person Shooter Clone 2815" and "Tomb Raider clone 2341" and "Resident Evil Clone 2145" and so on... Roll Eyes

I think Bullfrog did a lot of interesting games, and the fact that most of them didn't become blockbusters didn't mean they weren't memorable or charming. I just don't know that a monster studio will give him and his devs that kind of freedom. I think some of Bullfrog's stuff was mismarketed or mis-focused. I don't really know why The Movies didn't become a hit, other than its marketing played it up as a Roller Coaster Tycoon/Sim Studio wannabe, instead of a marvelous little machinima/content creator (which is what most of us who loved it loved about it).

Fables is OK (I bought the PC version), but I hope MS didn't buy him out just to make him do Fable 2 through Fable XXVIXVI. If you're going to hire a mad genius, let him create, and damn the torpedoes.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:33:49 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 26, 2009, 03:30:01 PM

Fables is OK (I bought the PC version), but I hope MS didn't buy him out just to make him do Fable 2 through Fable XXVIXVI. If you're going to hire a mad genius, let him create, and damn the torpedoes.  icon_razz

He was just promoted to creative director of MGS Europe, so he mostly gets to do what he wants (see, for example, Milo).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: