http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:21:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 Thread of S. Link of awesomeness maxed out  (Read 20022 times)
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 02:43:40 AM »

I can't wait to get this. It makes me regret that I ordered from Amazon to save a couple of bucks. Hopefully, they will ship my copy pretty soon.
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 05:26:20 AM »

I also ordered this from Amazon, well Amazon.ca that is. So I'll probably have played and beaten BioShock by the time it arrives Roll Eyes
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »

P3 P3 P3 in one more day!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 01:51:09 AM »

Wish I could afford this game.  I'll have to get it later biggrin
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »

Is there another delay?  My Amazon order was delayed until the 22nd.  icon_frown

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »

Nope, picked up a copy about an hour ago, and it's staring me in the face as we speak.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 15, 2007, 06:04:55 PM

Nope, picked up a copy about an hour ago, and it's staring me in the face as we speak.
crybaby

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
depward

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »

Picked it up today - WOW is that art book really an actual artbook!  Hardcover and everything!  Love it.

Packaging is just top-notch.  I can't wait to play it - GAH ONLY four more hours til I can!!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 09:47:43 PM »

Some impressions after about 30 minutes -
As depward said, the packaging is beautiful.  The artbook is hardcover with quality glossy pages and even contains notes from the art director about the designs for the characters and areas.  The packaging and game just ooze style.  From the lengthy, stylish and intriguing anime opening to the art and even the look of the menus and manual, everything has a distinct style, and they all work together to form a cohesive package.  The graphics aren't exactly pushing the PS2 to its limits, but the art style and design is excellent, and the great voice acting, large, animated character portraits, and the occasional comic-book style panels do a great job of drawing you into the characters and world.  I also got a chuckle out of the selections in the vending machine - Cielo Mist (a reference to a character from Digital Devil Saga), SoBay, and Mad Bull slywink  I can't wait to play some more tonight.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 11:20:58 PM »

listening to the soundtrack (very nice - as megaten soundtracks always are) while reading the luminous arc manual... so many games, so little time (just happy i managed to finish brave story)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 11:52:58 PM »

Another impressive aspect of the game is the amount of choice you're given in how your character responds.  Even in the first half hour, there were 5 or 6 times where I could choose what to say, and the other characters responded with comments unique to what I chose.  Given that this is all voice acted, it's very impressive.  I usually don't like silent protagonists, but it looks like this one is well done.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2007, 01:04:48 AM »

I got it.

You guys, and Atlus, kill me!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2007, 01:12:02 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on August 15, 2007, 05:57:44 PM

Is there another delay?  My Amazon order was delayed until the 22nd.  icon_frown

Mine shows a estimated ship date of the 19th but I think it has shown that all along. I could be wrong though.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2007, 03:27:58 AM »

just did the first tartarus run, & this's gotta be one of the most immediately likeable & user-friendly rpgs i've ever played. just about perfect so far (i really like the character art) - hopefully, the environments in the tartarus are varied enough to keep things interesting, as that's about the only potential drawback to the way the game's set up that i can see...

way more impressed than i thought i'd be smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2007, 03:25:13 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 16, 2007, 03:27:58 AM

just did the first tartarus run, & this's gotta be one of the most immediately likeable & user-friendly rpgs i've ever played. just about perfect so far (i really like the character art) - hopefully, the environments in the tartarus are varied enough to keep things interesting, as that's about the only potential drawback to the way the game's set up that i can see...

That surprises me, as I've found almost all the Shin Megami Tensei games I've played, save for Devil Summoner, to be extremely NON-user-friendly. This is good news!

PSN ID: EduardoX
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »

I'm gonna pick this game up later today. I have a few concerns, but it's really hard to argue with its high review score average.

My PS2 is proving to be the little console that could. After God of War 2 recently (possibly the best game ever released on the system) I've been playing Odin Sphere a lot and now Persona 3. Quite the opposite of the original Xbox's insta-death.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:00:34 PM by rrmorton » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2007, 04:26:05 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 16, 2007, 03:25:13 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on August 16, 2007, 03:27:58 AM

That surprises me, as I've found almost all the Shin Megami Tensei games I've played, save for Devil Summoner, to be extremely NON-user-friendly. This is good news!

surprised me, too smile ...

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »

One thing to remember about the game:

You are not able to do EVERYTHING in one play through. While it's possible to form S.Links with everyone needed to unlock all the Tarot Cards (to boost your Personas), you just don't have enough time in the day to level up their relationships, as well as keep up with schoolwork.  Thats why the game has New Game+ mode...when you beat it, you start all over with all your current stats and so forth, and ALL maxed out S.Links.

A couple FAQ's Ive read said to basically play exactly how you want, since there really is no penalty for not completing anything...the contract you sign in the beginning tells you to take responsiblity for your actions, and the game expects as such. Myself, I just study when I can to raise my Academics (I aced my 1st Semester mid terms and got a badass sword), and only have 3 S-Links I work on....when those are maxed, I'll see what month Im in, and work on starting new ones from there....

Other things that took me awile to figure out:

- Full Moons are "Major Events", which you can't skip or sleep through. Luckily, even if your members are Sick or Tired the previous night, they will be recharged for the situation.

- The more your characters level up, the longer it takes em to get "tired". Try to avoid letting your team get tired, as then there is a very good chance one or more of em will get sick the next day, which basically leaves you a member short for next night, which therefore limits your progress up Tartarus. Sick and Tired members are pretty much useless in combat as they miss constantly and get hit for megatons.

- WHen you form S.links, try your best to equip a Persona of the same type as the S.link, as you'll get a 50%bonus to all relationship points gained for the encounter. (Example: Kenji is the Magician Tarot. Equip Jack Frost, and help him get a date with his teacher. Instead of 30+ points for the event, you get 45 and jump from Level 2 to Level 4 instead of just 2 to 3.

- The game lets you know when you are fighting mobs below you by only giving you 5 xp points a battle. Keep moving up the tower until you get normal XP for combat.

- The tower is basically divided into "wings" of 4-5 floors, with waypoint gates at each division. You'll find an instant warp at floors 1, 5, 10, 14, and so forth. A good rule of thumb is you'll find a mini boss at each- waypoint, and a big boss every 20 floors. The look of Tartarus changes every 20 floors, so you'll be able to visually keep track of where you are.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »

- WHen you form S.links, try your best to equip a Persona of the same type as the S.link, as you'll get a 50%bonus to all relationship points gained for the encounter. (Example: Kenji is the Magician Tarot. Equip Jack Frost, and help him get a date with his teacher. Instead of 30+ points for the event, you get 45 and jump from Level 2 to Level 4 instead of just 2 to 3.

Japanese RPGs are so weird.  The SMT series is even weirder.

Can't wait to start playing this one.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »

This is another Atlus title that I am just waiting to be able to get...

More Persona goodness!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on August 16, 2007, 05:06:31 PM

I aced my 1st Semester mid terms and got a badass sword

Only in this discussion could that sentence make any sense slywink

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 10:20:49 PM »

What?  Your school didn't give out weapons for grades??

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2007, 11:54:35 PM »

I wish I had a PS2, I wouldn't mind a quirky JRPG right now.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »

I should've pre-ordered this game in hindsight.  I live in San Jose, CA and I couldn't find a copy within 15 miles!! I got lucky today since an employee at Gamestop sold me a pre-ordered copy that no one picked up.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2007, 01:28:24 AM »

O happy day!  Amazon shipped mine and I should be getting it on Monday.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2007, 02:49:17 AM »

I watched the nonsensical intro movie and I have no idea what the hell I've gotten myself into. It's intriguing, that's for sure. I just hope it's the good kind of Japanese weirdness and not the irritating kind.

Nice little bonus with the hardcover book and CD.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2007, 03:33:49 AM »

took care of the floor 5 business tonight (as well as joining the kendo team), & am enjoying how the game is opening up - very nicely paced...

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »

I started it last night, and was apparently very tired, because I kept nodding off.  The early area really doesn't have a heck of a lot to do in it apparently, and it took quite a while to get to a save point. 

This is not a critique about the game.  I was just really tired, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing more.  At least it wasn't as bad as the MGS3 opening, where it's 45 minutes until you get to press a button.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:52 PM »

Chaz -

I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. Was really tired and fired it up only be half dozing off while I was fighting the thing on the roof...then had to go through almost another whole day before you could save.

To the guys further into the game - Are there more opportunities to save as you get deeper into the game and, I assume, things aren't as scripted?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 17, 2007, 01:16:52 PM

Chaz -

I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. Was really tired and fired it up only be half dozing off while I was fighting the thing on the roof...then had to go through almost another whole day before you could save.

To the guys further into the game - Are there more opportunities to save as you get deeper into the game and, I assume, things aren't as scripted?

there are permanent save points in the dorm & at the entrance to the tartarus (&, once things get going beyond the intro stuff, that's really pretty much all you'll be needing)...

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2007, 03:34:14 PM »

I really dislike all the time restrictions. The game is fantastic, don't get me wrong but between social links, studying and going to that tarty place my guy is way to tired. I'll have to take a look at the strategy guide again because I'm not sure what I should be doing with my time. All that aside the game is super fun, one question is there a way to buy and equip new gear on your team mates or is it only for yourself?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »

Quote from: Ascendent on August 17, 2007, 03:34:14 PM

I really dislike all the time restrictions. The game is fantastic, don't get me wrong but between social links, studying and going to that tarty place my guy is way to tired. I'll have to take a look at the strategy guide again because I'm not sure what I should be doing with my time. All that aside the game is super fun, one question is there a way to buy and equip new gear on your team mates or is it only for yourself?

so far, anyway, buying them stuff seems to be something you do on your own. you can equip it when you check them out / talk to them...

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »

The strategy guide doesnt mention it, but go to the shrine every day!

Not only can you buy a fortune for 100yen, but theres a good chance you can "find" 100, 500, 1000, or 10,000 yen right there depending on your "luck" that day. Of course, you can loose 5000 yen if you get "Terrible Luck". but Ive only seen it twice in 3 months.

The best part is you can walk over to the shrine right next to the fortune booth, donate 1000 yen every day for a 75%+ chance to get 2 Academic points. AND IT DOESN'T MOVE THE CLOCK  icon_lol

So, if you dont really want to bother with studying every night, just go ahead and make a trip to the shrine whenever possible and get some free money and academic points smile
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »

I played up to the Tarturus entrance last night and had to go to bed right when it was getting interesting. Definitely a long ramp up to the meat of the gameplay, but I went in prepared to be patient so it didn't bother me much. Now I want to get back and see what kind of wackiness is in store.

I read in the NY Times a while back about a growing epidemic of Japanese teens who are too depressed to do anything. They don't even leave their rooms for years on end. Is this game really tackling that issue as if it were some kind of evil plague cast upon young adults? Between the talk of "apathy disease" and the shooting-myself-in-the-head game mechanic, I'm starting to think it is. Crazy idea!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2007, 06:30:38 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on August 17, 2007, 04:49:39 PM

The best part is you can walk over to the shrine right next to the fortune booth, donate 1000 yen every day for a 75%+ chance to get 2 Academic points. AND IT DOESN'T MOVE THE CLOCK  icon_lol

And I thought getting swords for doing well on tests was crazy enough. Now you can toss money around and suddenly do better at school.  eek icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2007, 07:01:49 PM »

Any game that combines the mysteries of Japanese High School and blowing your brains out to summon your soul to fight demons from hell, and pulls it off without being a new R.Kelly Trapped in the Closet video deserves praise Tongue
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2007, 07:44:39 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on August 17, 2007, 05:48:29 PM

I played up to the Tarturus entrance last night and had to go to bed right when it was getting interesting. Definitely a long ramp up to the meat of the gameplay, but I went in prepared to be patient so it didn't bother me much. Now I want to get back and see what kind of wackiness is in store.

I read in the NY Times a while back about a growing epidemic of Japanese teens who are too depressed to do anything. They don't even leave their rooms for years on end. Is this game really tackling that issue as if it were some kind of evil plague cast upon young adults? Between the talk of "apathy disease" and the shooting-myself-in-the-head game mechanic, I'm starting to think it is. Crazy idea!

See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikkomori

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2007, 12:51:39 AM »

You can save anytime you're free to walk around the dorm, so it should be less than a half hour after you start that you can first save.

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2007, 02:13:47 AM »

After reading through this thread, I had to go buy the strategy guide. At least I'll have something to look at while I'm waiting for my Amazon order to arrive.  icon_biggrin
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2007, 04:30:34 AM »

Damn, I owe you guys.

I'd never even heard of this series before.  My only console RPG experience was FFX and FFVII.  Now that I've touched this... I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back.  Damn.

The combat is quick, almost entirely non-random and brutal.  Almost everything you run into can kill you if you screw up more than once in a battle.  That said, the combat is surprisingly non-frustrating.  I think it is the lack of the random swings common to most RPG combat.  You just have to make sure that every move you make is the perfect move.  Since your character is capable of an incredible variety of nastiness, I rarely run into situations where I'm well and truly screwed.

The story is great.  The atmosphere is fantastic.  Somewhere, a Buffy the Vampire Slayer writer is raging, but he's also probably playing this game and enjoying the hell out of it.

More than that though, everything is so damn streamlined.  Want to get your party healed?  Just mention it to your healer and she takes care of it.  Two-clicks of the "x" button and you're set.  Want to dart all over town in your down time?  It won't take you more than a few minutes because your character moves quickly and the load times are negligible.  All the game concepts that should have come out as annoying chores turned out to be marvelously well-designed.  I haven't been so impressed with a game designer since Sid Meier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: