http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 11:00:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfect Dark Zero - Huge Hit or Colossal Failure?  (Read 6929 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2005, 12:52:01 AM »

More of your impressions Hetz, who cares about the review sites.  smile  Is it fun enough to keep you away from some of your other games?  How'd you rank the games so far?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2005, 01:59:06 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
More of your impressions Hetz, who cares about the review sites.  smile  Is it fun enough to keep you away from some of your other games?  How'd you rank the games so far?

I will get some more gametime in on it as soon as my wife stops hogging the Xbox 360, she's addicted to Bejeweled 2 Deluxe on the Xbox Arcade....   smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2005, 02:07:35 AM »

I will get some more gametime in on it as soon as my wife stops hogging the Xbox 360, she's addicted to Bejeweled 2 Deluxe on the Xbox Arcade..

And I bet Bejeweled 2 looks tons better on the 360 too ;-).  Go play, show her who is boss smile.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2005, 03:41:31 AM »

and it's a HIT!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/perfectdarkzero/review.html

9.0 from Gamespot, best rating of all the launch titles!

and the MS haters are crying....sellouts everywhere...PD:Z gets a 9...can it get any worse for the bashers? LE?  :wink:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2005, 03:42:45 AM »

Good to hear!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2005, 03:54:21 AM »

Well, I'm glad to hear there's a good game in there. I actually bought this title based on the movies that I watched of it in action, and it just seemed FUN to me.

Good stuff.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2005, 04:14:59 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
and it's a HIT!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/perfectdarkzero/review.html

9.0 from Gamespot, best rating of all the launch titles!

*drools*

And the console will be mine in a bit under 3 hours. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2005, 04:31:53 AM »

Good to hear- already picked PDZ and Condemned up.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2005, 04:42:23 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Funny, I never played Perfect Dark, but I really didn't like Goldeneye at all. I think it is one of the most overrated games ever.

I'll second that. And I *LIKE* FPS's

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2005, 05:14:04 AM »

Fantastiche!! My gut feeling turned out correct. Now just to find a 360 biggrin
warning

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2005, 02:46:06 PM »

Gamespot gave Perfect Dark Zero a 9.0!

Their conclusion:
Taken as a whole, Perfect Dark Zero is decidedly one of the best, fully featured Xbox 360 games so far, and it's a compelling reason to spring for the system if you've been on the fence. While the game doesn't reinvent the first-person shooter, which has been a mainstay of action gaming for more than a decade, it delivers one of the most highly refined and spectacular examples of this brand of gameplay to date. From its ravishing good looks and totally first-rate audio, to the believable feel of its outstanding weapons, to its wealth of single- and multiplayer options, Perfect Dark Zero delivers just about everything you could hope for from a first-person shooter.

Sounds very good!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2005, 03:00:20 PM »

Picked it up yesterday and it kept me for playing Gauntlet with Hetz last night sorry man.  Was having too much fun

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2005, 07:03:00 PM »

Another 9/10 score.....from 1UP!

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3145846

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2005, 10:37:31 PM »

PDZ is just more proof that reviewers judge games on multi-player content only. This game has some of the worst, most laughably-bad single-player levels I've ever seen in a game.

I'm playing Mission 1. It's a stealth mission where you're supposed to ID some criminals without being detected. If you are detected while playing, however, every enemy in the immediate vicinity runs toward you and forms a half-circle and starts shooting at you. They don't dodge for cover or perform any evasive actions. If they run out of ammo, they just stand out in the open and calmly reload while bullets whiz by.

That in and of itself wouldn't be terrible, mind you, except for that that it's impossible to die! You literally can stand out in the open facing ten different enemies all shooting at you and calmly line up head shots on each one before your health meter runs out.

But, if you do die, or want to restart because you've been detected, you basically have to restart the entire level over again. There is no save system whatsoever. Every level does have a mid-level checkpoint that you can restart from, but the checkpoint doesn't save certain mission states, like your current location. I restarted Mission 1 from a checkpoint, and it dropped me in a portion of the level that I had never been in before!

Again, this might have been bearable, except most of the first mission is trial-and-error gameplay. Walk through a door and -bam- alarm goes off because there's a metal detector in the door, that no one ever mentioned their might be. I'm the last person to complain to about save anywhere, but this is completely ridiculous.

This is basically an N64 game with HD graphics applied to it. It's like Rare ignored every advancement in the FPS genre from the last five to ten years! And don't even get me started on the unclear mission objectives in the training level...

Alright, I feel better now. Cool I'm just very disappointed in this game. I knew going in that the single-player wasn't going to be great, but I can't believe I just flushed $50 down the toilet since I have no interest in multi-player.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2005, 10:54:13 PM »

Everything you just described are THE very reasons that this game had me skeptical.  Every video I have seen seemed to show just what you described.  I will rent it just so I can say to myself that I played it, but I am sure I would never buy it no matter the price now.    Funny thing is though that Kameo, a game I thought I would never even rent, has me now wondering if I might just go ahead and buy.  Reversal of fortunes in action.  Ofcourse, assuming I even open my 360 and not just return it.   Have two sitting in my front room and little desire to open either.  Wierd.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2005, 01:11:24 AM »

Everywhere I've heard how playing this one reminds people of the old PD or Goldeneye.  How this game is sort of a throwback to those days.

That's not a good thing.  FPS' have evolved since then and I don't want to play some stale single-player that hasn't changed from the N64 games.  I hear the co-op is the saving grace of the SP.

Even with the meh singleplayer impressions, I've heard the multiplayer is fantastic online and Rare plans on adding downloadable content and whatnot.

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2005, 02:15:04 AM »

So it's like Halo 2 and SOCOM 1/2/3 in that it has limited single-player appeal but strong multiplayer?

I enjoyed Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but was never banging on the doors of Rare for a follow-up.  Like TML said, put on those nostalgia goggles and game on!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2005, 03:09:53 AM »

Wife authorized me one night of play to "test" the 360 after all of the bug reports and I have to agree with Andrew- I'm not very impressed with PDZ.

To add to his comments, I find the controls very clunky and the walking speed abysmally slow.  It just doesn't have the finese of Halo or Halo 2.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2005, 09:06:40 AM »

After a bit more playing, I have to say that my attitude has really come around and I'm really starting to appreciate PDZ.

The map design is incredible- areas are large and there are multiple ways to get through an area and optional objectives along the way.

Combat also became a lot more satisfying once I started using the cover mechanic on a regular basis.  Combat probably has more in common with "Everything or Nothing" than a traditional FPS.  

Andrew is right- the stealth mechanics are very clunky and its a pain in the butt on the order of the first NOLF if you trip an alarm.  However the varity afforded by the mission design has gone a long to making up for that and I'm really starting to have a good time.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2005, 01:30:53 PM »

I'm loving the game - around all the constant crashes that is. After about 20 minutes of playing I get a hard lock every single time. And it's not heat related either, as everything is outside of my entertainment center.

But still a great game though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2005, 01:48:53 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
PDZ is just more proof that reviewers judge games on multi-player content only. This game has some of the worst, most laughably-bad single-player levels I've ever seen in a game.

I'm playing Mission 1. It's a stealth mission where you're supposed to ID some criminals without being detected. If you are detected while playing, however, every enemy in the immediate vicinity runs toward you and forms a half-circle and starts shooting at you. They don't dodge for cover or perform any evasive actions. If they run out of ammo, they just stand out in the open and calmly reload while bullets whiz by.

That in and of itself wouldn't be terrible, mind you, except for that that it's impossible to die! You literally can stand out in the open facing ten different enemies all shooting at you and calmly line up head shots on each one before your health meter runs out.

But, if you do die, or want to restart because you've been detected, you basically have to restart the entire level over again. There is no save system whatsoever. Every level does have a mid-level checkpoint that you can restart from, but the checkpoint doesn't save certain mission states, like your current location. I restarted Mission 1 from a checkpoint, and it dropped me in a portion of the level that I had never been in before!

Again, this might have been bearable, except most of the first mission is trial-and-error gameplay. Walk through a door and -bam- alarm goes off because there's a metal detector in the door, that no one ever mentioned their might be. I'm the last person to complain to about save anywhere, but this is completely ridiculous.

This is basically an N64 game with HD graphics applied to it. It's like Rare ignored every advancement in the FPS genre from the last five to ten years! And don't even get me started on the unclear mission objectives in the training level...

Alright, I feel better now. Cool I'm just very disappointed in this game. I knew going in that the single-player wasn't going to be great, but I can't believe I just flushed $50 down the toilet since I have no interest in multi-player.

I agree, Mission 1 sucks bigtime. It does get better after that though.

As for the multiplayer.....give it a try. I had a blast playing Capture The Flag the other night in PD:Z. It was quite fun....and yes, this game will be the next Halo 2 in terms of multiplayer. Lots of people playing.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2005, 06:52:37 AM »

After playing more, I can pretty much guarantee that PDZ will be in my Top Ten for the year (maybe Top Five).  This feels like the true sequel to Deus Ex but without the stats.

All kinds of value here too.  The missions are enormous and with 13 of them it will likely be one of the longest FPSs in recent memory.  Plus, like Thief (and previous Rare shooters) you get additional objectives as you increase the diffiuclty level giving even more to do.

The biggest compliment I can give the game is that my 360 somehow crapped itself overnight and deleted all of my saves (not PDZs falult- my Condemned save was gone too) and I didn't mind replaying the levels at all.  In fact, I've probably played Mission One four or five times just because I enjoy trying different tactics out.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2005, 06:57:45 AM »

I've found out that the setup of the missions changes a little.  When you play through solo it will be set up one way, then going through co-op things will be different.  Usually requiring some teamwork in places.  It also seems like it changes after you gone through the level.  I went through co-op on a couple of levels with different people helping me, and the patrols were a little different for instance.

The splitscreen vs. bots is where I've had the absolute most fun so far.  Just found out tonight that when you play on the bigger maps there are points you can hack.  Once you've done that you can spawn closer to the action.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »

I have only played the first 3 missions and some MP but I like this game (never played the original so can't compare).

About the saves, it seems there is an option to save but I don't understand what exactly it saves because there is no "load" option other than the load checkpoint (which is a preset save).

Gameplay has been fun so far and I like it that it's really hard to die even if you screw up the stealth because you can at least complete the mission without many reloads and frustration.  I don't understand the reviews raving about graphics however.  Most recent PC FPS look better than this game.  Not saying that the graphics are bad, they are certainly acceptable but not a selling point.  (maybe some of the later levels are amazing looking?)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2005, 10:48:15 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
I don't understand the reviews raving about graphics however.  Most recent PC FPS look better than this game.  Not saying that the graphics are bad, they are certainly acceptable but not a selling point.  (maybe some of the later levels are amazing looking?)

I've played all of the best looking PC games and I think PDZ definitely holds its own.  The artstyle is likely to turn off some people but the neon-future look they go for really lets them let loose with every DX9 shader and effect to an almost obscene amount and still have the style work.  

The character models aren't very hot and it doesnt' have a Doom 3/FEAR style lighting engine but it really doesn't need it.  I was pretty skeptical of the game based on the early media released but I have to admit I'm pretty blown away by the visuals in the finished product.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2005, 09:04:59 AM »

Why didnt someone tell me eradication was so damn fun?  Just got done playing an hour or two and had a lot of fun.  Reminds me of counterstrike in a way.

MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2006, 03:54:11 PM »

well, i like PDZ mostly for the fact that it has a multiplayer skirmish mode that actually involves drones -- you don't have to fight *against* your friends, and you don't actually have to do a ridiculously difficult mission.

i also liked the co-op campaign a lot (at least on the first two difficulties...haven't done much on the third difficulty), even though the movie texture mapping was absolutely DREADFUL and Joanna ran like a pansy little princess (despite the fact that she's supposed to be some badass secret agent).  the game graphics were great, especially with the foliage etc. in some of the multiplayer arenas, but the plot sucked a bit, and the characters did some really retarded stuff (like Jack rushing Mai Hem with a handgun when there were much bigger guns nearby).  i don't think i would give pdz a 9 out of 10, but at least a 7.

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2006, 08:53:16 AM »

Maybe it was because of all the negative talk surrounding this one, or the fact I was never a fan of PD for the N64, but I rented this today because I have always wanted to play it and honestly, it's really not a bad game.  I'm actually enjoying it (FOR the most part).

In fact, I would group it into the above average / good catagory.

I've played 11 of the 13 missions in one day and while I came across two or three annoying parts in the first 6 or so missions, it seems like Rare decided to throw every annoying FPS idea ever contrieved into the last half of the game.

A timed stealth mission.  Seriously.  TIMED.  STEALTH.  I eventually had to GameFaq it and realized it was more run & gun, but whatever.  Seemed silly.

I really think the game looks nice, it's got a great sense of style, the music is fantastic, Joanna is cool (but I want more badass) - the single-player just has a few shortcomings.  But really, I've played far-worse.  And complaints about getting lost and whatnot; I never felt helpless.  The few times I had no idea where to go, those little arrows showed up and I was on my way.

I even think PD0's single-player is better than Halo 2's.  Easily, in fact.

And multiplayer was quite fun, as well.  I found it pretty easy to get used to aiming for headshots because of my Halo 2 playing days, and I really like the fact that a headshot = instant death.  Adds a certain amount of tension with every battle.

Why all the Perfect Dark 0 hate!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:27 PM »

Finished it, I'd probably give the single-player a 6.5 and the multi-player around an 8ish (limited time with it, thus far) and tilt it for a 7.5 or 8.  Certainly not as bad as many made it out to be, and I'd snatch up a sequel if one were to ever be made.

TheMissingLink on PSN
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »

heh.  Jarrodhk and i come from the "if i kill them all, they can't tell anyone they saw me" school of stealth, as far as PDZ goes.

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PSP> dead head
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2006, 08:13:21 AM »

Quote from: "MerianMoriarty"
heh.  Jarrodhk and i come from the "if i kill them all, they can't tell anyone they saw me" school of stealth, as far as PDZ goes.

Ah, a woman after my own heart.  Tongue

And thankfully, I've got an inch thick strike plate covering it.  slywink
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:37 PM »

ooh, strike plate you have!  wise are you in the ways of dealing with gun-happy people, mmm.

Currently Playing:
<XBox> ...
<PSP> dead head
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2006, 02:05:22 AM »

I just found this for $20 at Circuit City (along with Kameo for the same price) and it is enjoyable, though it feels like a bad console FPS....
I've only gotten past the first real mission, but I really hope it picks up. If not, it'll be multi-only.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2006, 05:28:06 AM »

Multiplayer is interesting, but the sluggish aiming will get on your nerves there too.  It creates a real problem with the guns being so accurate, the aiming is so sluggish, and the players moving so quickly that the experienced players of the game who have mastered the aiming will simply waste everyone.  Normally this is okay because that's just how MP games are, but in PDZ, instead of learning the tactics of the game you're just fighting with the aiming system.

Not to mention the funkyness of the weaponry in this game, some guns have up to 4 functions, that may seem good but all the buttons you need to know to use them are weird.

Still, despite all those problems, I'd buy this game for $20, especially if they come through on the Counter-Op mode.

I'd actually like to see them continue the series, maybe remake Perfect Dark 1.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2006, 03:18:28 PM »

I played a few more missions SP, and it is pretty fun. The real problem is the lack of saves and at times, the lack of clear objectives. There is a big ship I need to shoot down, but it is hard because the instructions I get read "He's smart enough to make the cockpit bulletproof, but also upgraded the engines." Does this mean the engines aren't bulletproof? Can I just not shoot down this stupid machine?

And yes, Turtle, the aiming is really difficult in multi player.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2006, 04:19:01 PM »

Shoot the engines.  Then shoot the engines some more.  After that... more shooting of the engines.

I was really glad to come back with unlocked weapons and knock this thing out fairly easily and quickly.  The first time through I was ready to pull my hair out.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2006, 04:27:58 PM »

I'm stuck a few levels later. level 7 Ibelieve. ::sigh::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2006, 06:48:53 PM »

stage 7?  hmmm...which is that? ^_^;;  i don't remember anything about what order the stages came in...

Currently Playing:
<XBox> ...
<PSP> dead head
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: