http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:19:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfect Dark Zero - Huge Hit or Colossal Failure?  (Read 6903 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »

This is the game that Microsoft has everything riding on for launch. It's the game that nearly everyone wants to play.

So what is your prediction? Huge hit? Failure?

Here is the first review that I have seen for it, from OXM in the UK:

score = 9

highlights -

* Superb Replay Value
* Colossally addictive on Xbox Live
* More weapons than Charlton Heston
* Better-than-high-end PC visuals

The only minus was

* Embarrassingly Wacky Voiceovers

Some quotes:

"And the level design never deviates from 'impressive', except towards the realm of 'astonishing'".

"PDZ is easily the most graphically gorgeous first-person game ever seen on a console. But its the exceptional replay value both offline and on, the multitude of weapons you'll entertain yourself with for weeks, and the balls-to-the-wall, last second way this game came together without imploding that makes you glad to be a gamer"

Off topic a bit, but the other scores in the mag :

Kameo - 9
Tony Hawk - 7
Condemned - 8
Tiger Woods - 7
Call of Duty 2 - 9
Gun - 7
NBA Live 06 - 6
Quake 4 - 8

I'll be getting my copy later today, I have high hopes....but my expectations have been lowered due to negative pre release buzz....that is why the above review was a nice little treat. It's nice to have low expectations. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:52:35 PM »

This is the biggest launch wild card - You need to let us know!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 03:01:59 PM »

I wonder how much Microsoft paid for that ad? smile

---
XBox Live: ScottW
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 03:09:35 PM »

$800. Hetz did get -2- 360's, after all. smile
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 03:19:24 PM »

I have zero interest in this one.  I can't explain why; but if I'm going to get a FPS for my 360, I'm leaning heavily towards CoD2 or maybe Quake 4.

So I predict 'flop' even though it was what they were trying to push as the killer app.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 05:34:05 PM »

I trusted Rare not to screw this game up (and go back to the Rare I remember from a decade ago), so I preordered both of their launch titles.

PDZ was starting to worry me though. No reviews of the game until now. And that review looks really promising. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 07:51:14 PM »

Hetz, have you gotten your copy of this yet?  My local EB didn't get them and said they haven't even shipped yet that they are aware of.  This and Quake 4 are the only launch titles they haven't gotten in so they said.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 07:56:29 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Hetz, have you gotten your copy of this yet?  My local EB didn't get them and said they haven't even shipped yet that they are aware of.  This and Quake 4 are the only launch titles they haven't gotten in so they said.

Just called them and they said it just arrived!

On my way soon....

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 08:27:55 PM »

PDZ is certainly an interesting case- as of yesterday most of the major websites had yet to receive reviewable code from MS despite the fact the game is arriving at retailers today.  Certainly not a good sign.

To make matters worse, MS actually began pressing the game *before* it completed certification.  

My gut feeling is that MS thinks PDZ will be a disappointment and is hoping to get it in the hands of launch day gamers before the reviews hit.

That said, I'm hoping it will be fun even if it isn't quite the Halo-killer MS was hoping for.  Graphically it has come a long, long way since E3.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 08:53:17 PM »

I think the game is going to be good. I have no reason why, its just one of those hunch thingies where I guess out of my ass and hope I am right  :  :wink: The game is a big draw for me though, I would love to get it if I ever get a 360.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 08:55:50 PM »

Slightly off topic but I never really played the first Perfect Dark.  I assume it was pretty good?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 09:12:01 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Slightly off topic but I never really played the first Perfect Dark.  I assume it was pretty good?

Depends on who you ask.  The game was generally well recieved but some perceived it as a disappointment when it didn't measure up to Goldeneye.  The framerate also sucked horribly.

Probably won't apply much to PD0 though- Rare is a much different organization than the N64 games and also had an exodus of a lot of their key people.

Not to say that PDZ won't be good but just that I wouldn't use their prior pedigree to judge.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 09:22:08 PM »

It got good reviews at the time, since the N64 was getting its ass kicked by the PS1 and even creamed crap was acceptable since it was creamy, but nowadays it's considered to be grossly overrated, contrived, and butt-ugly.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 09:22:13 PM »

Of all your impressions, Hetz, this is my most anticipated.  PD0 IS AN GODDAMNED ENIGMA!

TheMissingLink on PSN
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 09:36:43 PM »

Come on, Hetz! Review! Review!

Quit playing Kameo and review PD0!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 09:48:43 PM »

Just got back from Gamestop with the Limited Edition version with the bonus DVD....but I have to go take my daughter to get snowboots now, so impressions will have to wait for a bit. I should be back in an hour or so...then it's gametime.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 09:51:12 PM »

Such a tease.....  :wink:
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 10:48:38 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Just got back from Gamestop with the Limited Edition version with the bonus DVD....but I have to go take my daughter to get snowboots now, so impressions will have to wait for a bit. I should be back in an hour or so...then it's gametime.

I hate you too, Hetz. biggrin

I picked up my LE edition as well. Between that and Kameo I'm all set for some Rare goodness Tuesday.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 12:03:17 AM »

Damnit I want impressions before I buy my 5th game for a system I don't own yet!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005, 12:32:57 AM »

Things are looking good!!!

1UP's first impressions....

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3145794

Maybe it's been all the hype surrounding this game. Maybe the delays, the editor tantrums -- maybe all of that was just a ploy by Microsoft to elevate the hysteria when the game finally lands in the laps of gamers nationwide. But one thing is certain: Perfect Dark Zero is electrifying. Everything from the production values of the opening trailer, which is probably both homage and aping of the James Bond tradition, to the ultra-sheen interiors and hectic, Hollywood-paced final moments of the first level tutorial, screams quality. This isn't hyperbole and it isn't based on hype: PDZ looks fantastic and moves even better.

I going to start playing after dinner....can't wait! smile

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 01:16:30 AM »

Woah...I just got done with the first level and holy crap was that intense....

Quick impressions:

Graphics - Amazing

Sound - Outstanding

Gameplay - Lots of fun, I had no problems controling the game and it's very easy to find your way around the level. I never played the original Perfect Dark, so I don't know how this compares, but I am having a ton of fun.

With Kameo and this game, Rare are the big winners at launch. If this game holds up it could be the best game at launch.

Oh BTW, I am ranked #6 in the world right now for score on the first level !   Tongue

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2005, 01:27:15 AM »

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2005, 01:28:32 AM »

Perfect Dark Haters = Owned

This game is really blowing people away with how improved it has become since E3.

Some of IGN's Editors first impressions:

If you liked Perfect Dark or Goldeneye, pick this game up. If you like a good FPS, pick this game up. If you like beautiful graphics, pick this game up. For the rest of you, go pick up a copy of NBA Live 360 and cry yourself to sleep, because you're not invited to my house to play PDZ splitscreen.

All-in-all, PDZ looks like it will be a big thrill from start to finish. Gamers will love it, because there's really no other game like it on the system. It's definitely got some muscle behind it and will probably gain an unhealthy amount of enthusiasm. This is certainly worth picking up on launch day, but it's not the second coming of Goldeneye. That would be me. I am the second coming of Goldeneye.

I had high expectations for Perfect Dark Zero -- high expectations for it to suck. However, playing the first two levels, I was pleasantly surprised to discover Rare's first-person shooter isn't half bad.

From what I've seen of PDZ it's difficult to form solid first impressions. So far I've only blasted through the training mission and the first level but a few things come to mind. This game should have never received so much flak for its visuals. For some reason, people were expecting this game to have better graphics than life itself, and it certainly doesn't reach that level of quality. However, it does look just as good if not better than other launch titles and puts a whole bunch of recently released PC shooters to shame with its smooth framerate and visual tricks.

Nothing adds more fun to a good first-person shooter than co-op mode. In Halo, the first time I jumped on the back of a warthog and started gunning down baddies while my buddy drove, I was hooked. After playing the first two levels of Perfect Dark: Zero today with fellow Xbox 360 editor Charles Onyett, I came away with a similar feeling of giddiness. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't the office coffee.

The first level of PDZ is simply a training mission to familiarize you with the new controls and features of the game. My favorite new addition is the ability to take cover behind walls or crates, made famous by the third-person action game kill.switch. From first-person mode, you press A at a wall and switch to the third person. You then aim the reticule at an enemy and hit the right trigger to pop out and fire a couple rounds. When you release, you pop back behind cover. Then you press A again to return to normal mode. This is much better than typical first person shooters in which you strafe around the corner, shoot, and strafe back, and Rare implemented the feature very well.

At the beginning of level one, you guide some scientists around a pretty dull looking compound to an elevator, which takes you outside to a gigantic rocket launch site. It's awesome to get out into open space, to look at the gigantic rocket and be able to snipe at enemies from afar, just like it was in Rare's mega-hit GoldenEye 007. While I dispensed with the bad guys, Onyett ran over to the launch pad and took an elevator several hundred feet up to the top of the rocket. Players keep track of each other in these big environments by following a series of yellow arrows on the ground that lead to your partner. From my position at the base of the rocket, I could see a fierce firefight taking place hundreds of feet above me while Onyett fended off some enemies with rocket-packs. It was, simply, awesome.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 01:29:25 AM »

Quick impressions:

Graphics - Amazing

Sound - Outstanding

Gameplay - Lots of fun, I had no problems controling the game and it's very easy to find your way around the level. I never played the original Perfect Dark, so I don't know how this compares, but I am having a ton of fun.

With Kameo and this game, Rare are the big winners at launch. If this game holds up it could be the best game at launch.

Oh BTW, I am ranked #6 in the world right now for score on the first level !   Tongue

:shock:

Are you superman?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2005, 01:41:06 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Quick impressions:

Graphics - Amazing

Sound - Outstanding

Are you superman?

No, there are only 7 people ranked right now in the whole world!   :lol:

but damnit....I"m #6 in the world for right now and you can't take that away from me!  biggrin

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2005, 01:45:36 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Are you superman?

Just remember - he's only one out of one or two thousand people who have an Xbox 360 in their hands right now. Subtract a few who might not be online for any given reason, and divide by the number of people who actually bought the game today, and you end up with about 10 people who could actually be in the 'world' ranking. biggrin

And Hetz, I'm only screwing with ya. Just hating you for having access to a console this early. smile

We want some pictures, man. Pictures!

EDIT: I posted this post at the same time Hetz posted his, and apparently my estimation of 10 people was pretty damn close.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2005, 01:55:45 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Depends on who you ask.  The game was generally well recieved but some perceived it as a disappointment when it didn't measure up to Goldeneye.  The framerate also sucked horribly.

Perfect Dark was superior to Goldeneye when it came down to features... the problem was, Perfect Dark had no soul :-(

Still, I really did like the XRay gun :-)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 02:21:53 AM »

SNAP!! This sounds great. STOP MAKING ME WANT THIS GAME!!
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 07:23:56 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
It got good reviews at the time, since the N64 was getting its ass kicked by the PS1 and even creamed crap was acceptable since it was creamy, but nowadays it's considered to be grossly overrated, contrived, and butt-ugly.

Your chic cynicism has gotten the best of you in this post.  Perfect Dark is one the best console FPSs ever released, and it continued the N64's trend of having a handful of the best games ever made in its library (and little else).  Its single player is technically excellent, and not quite as souless as others may claim.  It's still no Goldeneye or Halo in that department, though.  Coop and counter-ops give the campaign mode great value.  PD shines the strongest in multiplayer, with arguably the best and most enduring split screen FPS implementation in existence.  Tons of levels, tons of bots, tons of weapons, tons of customization.  The game still holds up pretty well inpsite of its now ugly graphics, largely due to the multiplayer.  Single player campaign, full coop and counter-op implementations, 4 player splitscreen + 4 bots, 8 player botmatch, botmatch ladders.  The game has yet to be touched by any console FPS in terms of sheer content and replayability.  With no mentions of a counter-op mode in any of the previews, sounds like the sequal may not be topping it.

Here are some "good" reviews.

Here are some "grossly overrated" user reviews.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2005, 08:06:09 AM »

What other MP modes are included?

I heard something about a counter-op mode, where one player plays Joanna Dark and the others play the nameless mooks on the map.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 08:38:37 AM »

Quote from: "Luke"
Your chic cynicism has gotten the best of you in this post.
May 2005, EGM calls Perfect Dark the fifth most overrated game in memory.  A link:  http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdegm/is_200505/ai_n12934561

It also was reviewed as part of a 'Retro Review' section in the now-defunct Game Informer.  I think they gave it around a 4.0.  If I can dig up a link to that, I'll post it.

Its single player is technically excellent, and not quite as souless as others may claim.
No, I'm pretty sure most would agree that technically, PD was crap.  It pushed the N64 well beyond its limit, even with the RAM expansion.  Instead of going attractive but minimalist, like, say, Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time, Rare tried to send the system into overdrive with fancy crap, the results being atrocious image quality and lumpy framerates.

You want to argue story, or 'soul,' or whatever, go for it.  IIRC, the game stopped trying to be serious halfway through and deteriorated into a 'Mars Attacks!' like storyline.  I really don't remember, the game wasn't, you know, worth remembering.  But from a technical standpoint, it was a dog.

PD shines the strongest in multiplayer, with arguably the best and most enduring split screen FPS implementation in existence.
Goldeneye, Halo, Halo 2, the Timesplitters series, and Red Faction were all more satisfying.  Goldeneye remains the champion, perhaps not for bots, but for most enduring SS FPS.

Tons of levels, tons of bots, tons of weapons, tons of customization.
And absolutely no incentive to do anything with it since it all lacks oomph and soul.  Like Timesplitters, which had all that stuff, plus a level editor.  So Timesplitters remains dominant in that soulless-lump-o'-content department.

The game still holds up pretty well inpsite of its now ugly graphics, largely due to the multiplayer.
According to who, you?  I'd take any modern SS FPS over Perfect Dark, just because I'd get more than 10 frames per second in my little viewport.  Hell, I'd take Goldeneye over Perfect Dark.

Who in their right mind would play Perfect Dark over any of the games mentioned above?  I mean sure, there's the novelty aspect, but once you get that out of your system, no one's going to endure the blurry graphical soup of an N64 game far beyond the system's capabilities.

The game has yet to be touched by any console FPS in terms of sheer content and replayability.
No, it's been felt up pretty good, actually.  Timesplitters easily beats it in lump-o'-content, like I said above.

There's a reason why Goldeneye comes to mind long before Perfect Dark when someone prompts "Best Multiplayer FPS on the N64."  That's because it's a vastly superior game, both in terms of technical and creative design.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 12:52:01 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
What other MP modes are included?

I heard something about a counter-op mode, where one player plays Joanna Dark and the others play the nameless mooks on the map.

Here are the modes:
Deathmatch
Killcount
Team Killcount
Capture the Flag
Territorial Gains
Darkops
Eradication
Onslaught
Infection
Sabotage

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 01:20:23 PM »

More 1UP impressions:

Total playtime: 3.5 hours
Where did the day go? I stepped away from PDZ's singleplayer missions to hop online against Microsoft on Xbox Live an hour ago. Now I look out my window and it's dark as night outside. In short, PDZ is a blast online. We only played free-for-all and team deathmatch, as well as capture-the-flag with a bunch of editors, testers, and bots.

What's immediately impressive about the multiplayer mode (and I imagine this stands for the game in offline, splitscreen as well) is that the bots behave mostly realistically. They hang back in groups at choke points on maps and take shots from behind cover, as well as take plenty of aggressive opportunity to rush objectives, especially if they see little in the way of defense. I've even had a bot creep up behind me while sniping and whack me on the back of the head. Since there aren't a whole lot of "real" PDZ players online at the moment, we mostly had to resort to creating large 16 player games with a mix of bots and humans. At one time, we put all player characters on the Dark team against all bots as Datadyne on the hardest difficulty, and we got a royal spanking from the A.I. From my hands-on time so far, the bots don't appear to be too cheap with their tactics or shoot with amazing accuracy.

What also surfaces during these multiplayer sessions is the desire to jump over small obstacles (y'know, so you can get down to a platform faster). Since you can't jump, you find yourself taking the long way around to get to places. It all feels a little restrictive for my liking. Also, by the way these bots move in multiplayer, it's clear that Rare knows how to program A.I. suited for combat. It's strange then, that they couldn't use any of that code in PDZ's single-player levels, which feature decent, but not stellar enemy A.I. Unlike their multiplayer counterparts, these enemies are true to their fodder roots and would rather charge you (and get shot at) than pick you off from afar. But recognizing that single-player and multiplayer modes serve different purposes, I think the move to make the A.I. more simplistic during missions does make the game more fun and accessible.

Other stuff I've noticed are the graphics. While they can be hit or miss during cutscenes in singleplayer, they're mostly awesome when playing deathmatch over Xbox Live. There was worry from fans that Rare would downscale the graphics when it came to multiplayer. Well, they'll be happy to know the game looks just as good to the naked eye in multiplayer as it does single. Combat effects during deathmatch retain the same over-the-top particle-filled explosions, dust clouds and debris. And some of the levels we've been playing in (the desert stage seen in EGM's PDZ debut article, for instance, or the subway level where we first met Wallace Guyford) are downright huge (as they should support 32 players). In one CTF game, it took literally several minutes just to trudge back to base. I think the secret behind PDZ's good looks actually has a lot to do with artistry and textures (character designs notwithstanding). Like the Halo games, the maps and objects in PDZ take on a sort of hyperrealism that's neither photographic nor cartoony. It's a stylized reality all its own and it makes a lot of visual sense.

So does it feel like Halo 2 multiplayer? Not really. It feels more like a faster, crazier version of Perfect Dark on N64, this time with near-perfect framerates and not a slowdown hiccup in sight.

But enough talk! I'm going back to single-player

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 03:56:53 PM »

Keep this up and I may just have to pick this up when it hits $35 somewhere.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 04:05:48 PM »

May 2005, EGM calls Perfect Dark the fifth most overrated game in memory.  A link:  http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdegm/is_200505/ai_n12934561

Three titles on there have me wary of the list: Ico [PS2], Banjo Kazooie [N64], and Donkey Kong Country [SNES]. I'd also heard that Shenmue [DC] was great as well.

So if you guys think those titles were overrated, then I guess you can lump PD in there as well.

And Hetz, don't mean to be an ass in the slightest, but I found your IGN quotes a little selective. I read the impressions article, and it seemed rather mixed.

From the same article:

What do I really think so far? PDZ is good so far, but it's not hammering in the next generation in a striking new fashion. Every little part of PDZ looks good but familiar. Nothing is really stunning ... It's looking good so far. Is it great? Not sure of that yet.

and

With all four quadrants of the screen going, the game can feel choppy in a firefight -- and it doesn't help that it's so easy to push down on the left stick and inadvertently enter sluggish crouch mode. Not into that.

Also, a few of the weapons -- including a hyperactive Frisbee -- were more odd than useful (granted, we've just started playing). Apart from these frustrations, Perfect Dark Zero's multiplayer feels like straightforward split-screen multiplayer. So far, it's nothing horrible, and it's nothing fantastic. Microsoft may be hoping PDZ will be a killer app the way Halo was, but the spark that was so obvious in Bungie's title just isn't here. No doubt it looks pretty, but I'll need more time to see how the controls and pacing settle in.

and

PDZ is not going to be the killer app that Microsoft needed and wanted it to be. The level of quality just hasn't seemed balanced enough to be that, and though it may get a heck of a lot better later, I haven't seen anything to make me confident in that.

and

It's a shame that this game is getting pushed out at launch when it clearly could have used more time polishing and tuning. Then again, Rare's had years to make this game, and I'm not sure extra time wouldn't have just dragged out the inevitable. Perfect Dark Zero is what it is -- something of a throwback, something of a vanguard. It's not a must-buy yet from what I've seen (and true enough, we've had a lot of laugh at spots that weren't supposed to be funny ... there's plenty that haters will hold over it to keep fans wincing for years) ...

For what it's worth.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 04:46:01 PM »

I played PD on the N64 over at a friends house for the first time, about a year ago.  

I was expecting some Goldeneye fun and boy was I disappointed.   I frankly thought it outright sucked.  

LE isn't alone in his opinion on PD.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 05:57:24 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
I played PD on the N64 over at a friends house for the first time, about a year ago.  

I was expecting some Goldeneye fun and boy was I disappointed.   I frankly thought it outright sucked.  

LE isn't alone in his opinion on PD.

I don't know, LEs description describes my impressions of GoldenEye, which I player for the first time last year...
I have never been more disappointed by a hyped game in my life.  However, I certainly understand that it might have been something special at the time.  FPSes just flat out don't age well...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2005, 05:58:45 PM »

Funny, I never played Perfect Dark, but I really didn't like Goldeneye at all. I think it is one of the most overrated games ever.

Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2005, 06:37:11 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"
Your chic cynicism has gotten the best of you in this post.

It also was reviewed as part of a 'Retro Review' section in the now-defunct Game Informer.  I think they gave it around a 4.0.  If I can dig up a link to that, I'll post it.

I think its pretty clear upon reflection that many of the comments in my previous post were coming from that warm, fuzzy place called nostalgia.  Even still, the lack of a counter-op mode in any game since Perfect Dark is a bit disappointing, and not completely made up for by the inclusion of more multiplayer maps and modes (as well as some of the laggiest Live! play I've ever experienced) in the TS series to me.  Perhaps Game Informer is on to something with their 4.0 score, but that EGM list is quite useless (ICO? BK64? come on).  In spite of the press consensus on the game (which apparently comes down to GI's low score in a Retro Review.  They must speak for everyone.), there are still tons of user reviews at Gamefaqs and Gamespot that laud the game.  Go figure.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2005, 06:49:22 PM »

Is PD0 similar enough to the original to be comparing them and arguing about how good it was?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: