http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:25:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perfect Dark Zero: First Impressions [IGN]  (Read 1151 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2005, 05:04:56 AM »

I'm not a big IGN fan and I don't much like Douglass C. Perry, but he does have a Perfect Dark Zero Impression story from a behind closed doors meeting today.

Today, I saw a demo of Perfect Dark Zero running on a Xbox alpha kit (a PC) using an old ATI graphics card, not the final GPU from the Xbox 360, and was told the game was only using about 25% to 30% of the system's full power. And Perfect Dark Zero looked incredible. Incredible. It looked nearly as good as Gears of War, which, in my humble opinion is the best looking 360 game of the show so far (I saw that running in realtime too). So, simply put, Perfect Dark Zero shocked me.

I'm waiting to see what others say to make sure Douglass isn't putting his rose-colored glasses on with this.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 05:08:22 AM »

Nevermind...Gamespot has theirs up as well

Get ready for this...

The build of Perfect Dark Zero that we were looking at was eight weeks old and running on alpha development kits that, we were told, have only a fraction of the power that will be available on the Xbox 360. The game still looked really great, although the frame rate was a bit choppy at times. In the final game, Rare is shooting for a solid 30 frames per second, whether you're playing solo or with three other players on the same screen.

30 frames?  Already not looking good...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 05:37:13 AM »

EGM Staffer on Gaming-Age had this to say about IGN's preview:

I saw it behind closed doors today and umm... well, it looked better than the screens, but still really really underwhelming.

And here's what I'm saying:

PDZ looks nothing like Gears of War. It looks better than the screenshots we ran, but I'm puzzled at Doug's hyperbole. I'm not saying the game will suck. I certainly hope it doesn't. But right now, it looks like it needs a lot of work.

[/quote]
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:01:55 AM »

30 frames is perfectly fine, just as good as 60 frames.

The big thing to remember is constant framerate matters more than the frame count itself when over 30fps.  Although many still can discern the difference between 30 and 60 fps, almost everyone will know when something that had been running at a constant 30fps suddenly starts fluctuating between 15-40fps, and that's what people really notice.

So, don't worry so much about the actual number of frames.  Heck, you don't see hardware reviewers placing as much emphasis on it as they used now.  Now it's about graphical features and consistency.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 07:28:55 AM »

It's really way to early to make judgements about PD0 or any other X360 game for that matter.  Hell, Halo looked like crap just a month before the XBox shipped and that turned out fine.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 07:43:38 AM »

J Allard on Tech TV when asked if PD0 will ship on launch day:

"We'll see."

BTW, Adam Sessler did a real good job grilling him on PD0's absence from the show floor.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 08:25:27 PM »

I don' get the angst of "only 30 FPS" either. Forza runs at that I thought the game played fine. If its a solid not below 30 fps then I don't see the problem. People need to understand the diffrence between always running at like 30 fps and a timedemo of 30fps.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 09:02:27 PM »

I just point out the 30fps thing because I know a lot of people out there will react this way:

"This is next generation with awesome graphics and they can only get 30fps out of a game?"

I honestly could care less if a game is at a solid 30fps or 60fps, I just know a lot of people will feel it is a downgrade for such a powerful system.  I remember when Bizarre Creations said PGR2 would be at a solid 30fps and people about got the torches out ready to burn them about it.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 09:12:47 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
BTW, Adam Sessler did a real good job

does not compute

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: