http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:35:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penumbra- any impressions?  (Read 1091 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:16:16 AM »

so, was the Penumbra series worth playing?  I've seen them on Gametap, but never got the time to play them and the demo I tried felt kinda lukewarm, like it has potential but it just wasn't showing up yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:31:11 AM »

I'm waiting for a collection, but I'm looking forward to it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:44:07 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2009, 01:31:11 AM

oddly enough...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 06, 2009, 01:44:07 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2009, 01:31:11 AM

oddly enough...

Wow, same name and everything.  And it's soon!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:08:15 PM »

I played the original and I have to say there is a creepiness to it that I haven’t experienced in many games.  The way you interact with the world adds a lot to that.  In most first person games opening a door is just clicking a button and it magically swings open.  Having to stay there and push or pull them makes you feel vulnerable especially when you never know what’s on the other side.  The same goes for every other aspect of the game.  Most of the time the enemies aren’t that bad, it’s the anticipation for them that gets you.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:13:53 PM »

Just picked up the collection for $17.99 on Steam (I hate you Valve).

The latest one got 5 stars at Adventuregamer.

I'll post impressions.

"Goonies never say die"
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »

The collection is on Steam?  All I see on there is the first two.    Never mind, I see it, but it's a strange way to get to it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:38:33 PM by Chaz » Logged

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »

These games work (natively) on Linux too, if anyone's interested! smile

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 03:11:17 PM »

[quote ]

I'll post impressions.
[/quote]

Please do. I have been rather curious about this one and the few reviews out there haven't really helped me that much. I always do better on games I'm on the fence about just hearing from regular gamers in forums.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 05:45:42 PM »

Alright, as my previous post stated I picked up the Penumbra collection from Steam.  I enjoy adventure games, and love anything with a horror atmostphere.

After 1 hour of play of the first game Overture, I give it a solid Meh.

Graphics are serviceable, nothing amazing although the atmosphere is pretty effective.
Story is ok, but certainly nothing has happened that has made me want to rush back and start playing again.  It seems that the engine and how you interact with the environments is the main focus in this game.  It's done via a full FPS mode (there is no combat from what I understand), and you manipulate things in the environment to solve puzzles. 

This mechanic lends itself to some tense situations where you actually manually open doors, instead of an animation a la Resident Evil.  So you don't know what's behind the doors.

Anyway, sort of mad at myself for buying it on impulse, as I'm not sure it has legs for me.  I might try the latest one, as it may have improved on some of the things.

If you are a die-hard horror/adventure fan, than pick this up.. otherwise there are better things you could spend your money on.

"Goonies never say die"
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »

There is some combat, or at least there was in the first one, but it’s handled in a more reserved fashion than most FPS.  No guns if that’s what you’re looking for but I remember being able to set enemies on fire in creative ways.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »

I picked up the pack on steam and am enjoying the first one quite a bit. The atmosphere is intensely creepy and the puzzles are intuitive physics based rather than being of the ol' cat hair mustache variety. There is combat in the game but it is deliberately very clunky and difficult-the intent is for you to sneak around and set traps using the physics rather than direct confrontation. The pacing is aimed at being that of a Lovecraft story-slowly cranking the dread meter up as you progress. Great game for the price and far better than the Adventure Company titles.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 09:24:56 PM »

I played through the 2nd one first and really enjoyed it.  It reminded me of Half Life if they took out the fighting and added more puzzles.  I don't recall any combat just a lot of tension waiting for an enemy to go by without tipping him off.  I thought the "stealth" system was pretty clever. 
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 10:18:55 PM »

Quote from: RedJak on March 10, 2009, 09:24:56 PM

I played through the 2nd one first and really enjoyed it.  It reminded me of Half Life if they took out the fighting and added more puzzles.  I don't recall any combat just a lot of tension waiting for an enemy to go by without tipping him off.  I thought the "stealth" system was pretty clever. 

I don't think there are any situations in the game in which fighting isn't completely optional. There's always a way to do just as you described-hide and wait then sneak past. Or, as the case may be, run like a schoolgirl until you you reach something approximating safety. That being said, I quite enjoy setting up elaborate traps at times. Today I moved several propane tanks inside of a boxcar then dropped a piece of jerky next to it to attract a nearby zombie dog. Once he went in I shut the door and slid a crate in front of it to keep him in there for a few seconds then tossed a lit stick of dynamite through a slit window in the door. Highly entertaining way to take out a zombie dog.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: