http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 04:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penny Arcade burns CliffyB  (Read 1857 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/02/27

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »

Did you actually read the comic?

It's just making fun of the reaction something he said has gotten from all the raving lunatics online.

This so does not deserve a thread.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »

Hope he never comes back to the PC.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »

Who?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »

Great thread Daehawk.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:43:03 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 27, 2008, 10:42:38 PM

Did you actually read the comic?

It's just making fun of the reaction something he said has gotten from all the raving lunatics online.

This so does not deserve a thread.

so, do we submit thread for approval through you, and if so what kind of turnaround are we talking for approval/disapproval?  Is there a set of guidlines to follow in order to get approval?  What kind of sanctions do we face if we don't get approval and post anyways while giving you the  finger?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:04:42 AM »

I'll paraphrase Ike and say that everything from VE does not deserve it's own thread.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:41:47 AM »

Honestly, might as well start a thread entitled "PC Gaming Is or Isn't Dying" and throw all these links into it.  drillsergeant

I mean, when CGW digs up numbers showing the ballyhooed Crysis (you can bet EA is not going to allow the dev to do a PC-only shooter title again) and Unreal Tournament's latest PC incarnation each couldn't top even 80,000 copies sold in the U.S. while comparable console shooters sell 1-2-3 million in a few weeks time (or in pre-orders in Halo 3's case), even a PC gamer like me can't wave my sign with any rationality at publishers and developers and tell them not to give up on my favorite platform.

Hell, some underselling cult-PC-games that I did fan sites for like Incubation and Darkstone were considered flops for selling 35,000-50,000 copies in the U.S. Today that would apparently almost be considered successful given the dwindling interest in the platform for games not named World of Warcraft or The Sims. I'll give LOTORO a shout-out because it apparently topped 100,000 subscribers at least for a time.

I'm trying to look on the bright side. If PC gaming and the idea of games actually made for PC (it seems like every big release will be multiplatform eventually) sink into the abyss and my hobby becomes a ghetto that people remember fondly like point-n-click adventure games and space combat sims, then perhaps the few surviving PC developers will go back to basics. They'll go underground. Maybe you'll see the kind of originality and gameplay fun that small dev teams did in the early to mid 1990s. Maybe shareware will make a comeback as a means of PC gaming survival.

I'm all for it. I'm all for not doing the 77th iteration of Battlefield 1942 and Team Fortress and Counter-Strike, I'm all for not doing the same MMO that does what the previous 73 did, not for continuing to attach roman numerals and numbers to the same RTSs all over again. Maybe PC gaming's real hope is thinking small instead of making high-sys requirement games that the majority of gamers out there just don't seem to want or have (esp. not the way the economy's going).

OK well that's all my insane thoughts for the day. I always find Penny Arcade's thoughts amusing but it's not something I worry about. smile
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:46:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:11:25 AM »

Dont let Crysis and UT scare you about PC gaming. Neither are good indicators. Crysis did poorly due to the high system requirements and UT stunk because its really just a console port. PC gaming is doing fine.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 05:23:45 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 28, 2008, 03:41:47 AM

I mean, when CGW digs up numbers showing the ballyhooed Crysis (you can bet EA is not going to allow the dev to do a PC-only shooter title again)

EA doesn't own Crytek, they just published Crysis like Ubisoft published Far Cry.  If they decided to do a PC only shooter EA has no say in it beyond refusing to publish it, at which point someone else would more than likely pick it up.

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 28, 2008, 05:11:25 AM

Dont let Crysis and UT scare you about PC gaming. Neither are good indicators. Crysis did poorly due to the high system requirements and UT stunk because its really just a console port. PC gaming is doing fine.

UT stunk because noone realised it was released IMHO and they didn't change it much from the previous version. I have a friend who has it who is enjoying it but from how he describes it I can't see any reason why I would want to pay money for it. agreed re crysis - at some point devs will realise that top end requirements is not always the way to go - unless they can cater for both crowds.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 01:46:21 PM »

Well with respect to crysis, it has sold over a million copies worldwide last I had heard.  It didn't fail apparently.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »

I'm fairly sure Daehawk is contributing to the decline of pc gaming as we know it.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 28, 2008, 01:46:21 PM

Well with respect to crysis, it has sold over a million copies worldwide last I had heard.  It didn't fail apparently.

Agreed that is a very respectable figure.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 28, 2008, 10:39:52 AM

UT stunk because noone realised it was released IMHO and they didn't change it much from the previous version. I have a friend who has it who is enjoying it but from how he describes it I can't see any reason why I would want to pay money for it.

I think UT3 was a step back from what they did with UT2K4.  2K4 had a nice flow to it and the speed was spot on, with UT3 brought back the twitch factor that 2K3 had.  Plus, yeah, they should have held the release until after the holidays.

Because I can,
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 12:52:16 AM »

I most likely will never own a console gaming system so the PC will always remain my platform of choice. Regardless of this I still maybe only buy a game or two a year. Why? Because I'm really tired of FPS and RTS games. I'm also at the point where I'm tired of having to upgrade my pretty decent system every time a new game comes out pushing the tech envelope. Most people aren't going to upgrade every year so the game companies need to either slow down new tech or push forward and suffer the obvious consequences.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 03:28:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay
so, do we submit thread for approval through you, and if so what kind of turnaround are we talking for approval/disapproval?  Is there a set of guidlines to follow in order to get approval?  What kind of sanctions do we face if we don't get approval and post anyways while giving you the  finger?

This is no different than all the youtube videos that end up with their own thread in the off topic board.

Last I checked it seemed ok for people to say "This doesn't deserve a thread" over there, so you'll have to forgive me for returning the gesture:

finger

XOXO

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 04:56:35 AM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 29, 2008, 03:28:21 AM

Quote from: CeeKay

This is no different than all the youtube videos that end up with their own thread in the off topic board.

Last I checked it seemed ok for people to say "This doesn't deserve a thread" over there, so you'll have to forgive me for returning the gesture:

finger

XOXO

Excellent rebuttal.  However, as far as I know, it is still permissible to make fun of people who say "This doesn't deserve a thread", so I'll have to see your  finger  and raise you a .

CeeKay

Because I can,
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 06:08:51 AM »

Indeed. Clearly, there is only one real response to that.

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 29, 2008, 06:08:51 AM

man, what happened to the happening, fun loving guy we see below?

come back happy Thin J, you're our only hope!

Tongue

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on February 29, 2008, 06:08:51 AM

I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

I fart in your general direction.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 29, 2008, 03:28:30 PM

man, what happened to the happening, fun loving guy we see below?

come back happy Thin J, you're our only hope!

I'm reasonably sure I shot him in the back (accidentally) in our last game of R6:Vegas.  The old Thin_J is therefore gone forever.  What we have now is merely an inferior clone of the original version.

My bad.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »

Shoot him again, lets see what we get in the next version!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 02:03:25 AM »

That's an awfully big risk. I might come back as a guy that spams goatse in every thread Ceekay posts in and get banned or something.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: