http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 01:02:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC/XBox Gamer Needs Some Wii Advice Please  (Read 912 times)
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »

Hello.  With the recent $50 price drop and the extra $25 gift card from Amazon, Im finally taking the plunge and getting a Wii.  This will mostly be for my two girls 8 and 5 but Id like to play some of the great Nintendo style and platform games for myself as well. 

For those of you with a Wii and small kids, what can you recommend for games (remember, I have girls ages 8 and 5).  Based on my limited research, Im looking to get the following games:
-   Mario Kart
-   Littlest Pet Shop (my girls love these things)
-   My Sims (maybe)
-   Animal Crossing (maybe)
-   Mario Galaxy
-   Namco Museum
-   Super Paper Mario

Can you guys recommend anything else for the kids?  Any other advice?

What about for adult gamer?  Ive got an Xbox 360 and a gaming PC where I play the typical shooters and RPGs.  Recent games I have enjoyed are Sacred 2, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Neverwinter Nights 2, LEGO Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Batman, Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Gears of War 2, Crackdown, Soul Caliber 2, etc.

Thanks for your help!

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »

My daughter (6) loves Animal Crossing, Mario Party and the Disney Princess game.  We enjoy the Boom Bloxx games a lot.  And she really enjoys Smash Bros and Mario Kart.  Mario Strikers, too.  I tried to get her into Freddie Fish, but it didn't quite click.  Although we don't play it on the Wii, Rock Band can be a great family game.

We also really enjoy Bubble Bobble, Bomberman, and Jungle Speed from Wiiware and the original Mario Kart as well.

I just did a write up for MySims Agents, which I think is pretty great.  Maybe not girly enough, though. 

There are others, but those are the main ones.  I'll let you know if anything else occurs to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »

Great suggestions, thank you!

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:50:16 PM »

i just bought a (pink) ds & a copy of animal crossing for one of my wife's friends. no nintendo console's complete without a copy of animal crossing smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »

My daughters 8 and 10, have had a Wii since launch.  They love it, and I don't even buy them new games.  They still have the original games I bought them.
Favorites are Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Mario 8 and of course the Wii Sports/Wii Play.  This reminds me I have to pick up Sports Resort.

As far as myself, I'm a HUGE Survival Horror fan, and the Wii has some good games.  The graphics are the only letdown.

"Goonies never say die"
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 12:51:35 PM »

Check out Zack & Wiki... the kids will like it and you can help them solve the puzzles. It's one of the largely 'unsung heroes' of the Wii.

xbox live: nude rick james
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 01:55:13 PM »

Besides the ones mentioned, my 5 yr old also likes de Blob and Wario Land. His fav are the lego games but you already mentioned you played them on the xbox.

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »

Adult Gaming:

Resident Evil 4
MadWorld (graphic violence and language)
House of the Dead : Overkill  (see above)
Wii Fit
EA Active

I liked Sam & Max
KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »

Boom Blocks
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

+1 to Boom Blox and Zak & Wiki.

The best thing about the Wii is that it's 100% backwards compatible, the not so great thing about it IMO, is that the Gamecube had better games for kids. In particular the GC Zelda game -Wind Waker- was much more appropriate for younger kids. If you can afford, and can find, a GC controller I'd recommend these games as well:

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Pikmin 2
Mario Kart Double Dash
Luigis Mansion
Super Monkey Ball
Mario Toadstool Golf
Sega Soccer Slam
Pacman Vs
Rayman 3
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »

I'm excited for:

The Grudge
Silent Hill
Fatal Fram 4

Survival Horror goodness!

"Goonies never say die"
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:08:37 AM »

Cool.  I appreciate the great recommendations.

I managed to pick up Boom Blox and My Sims on clearance at the Target secret shelf.  Also, I see TRU is having a sale next week.

I'm going to get Wii Fit and EA Active for the Wife as well.

I'm intrigued by the backward compatibility.  I've seen what I think are gamecube controllers even at Target.  These would be wired, correct?

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »

Get the Metroid Prime Trilogy set that just came out. You should love it if you are into FPS games. It combines FPS gameplay with the classic metroidvania power up and explore mechanic.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »

Every Wii owner who didn't own a gamecube is mandated to get Eternal Darkness. I still prefer Eternal Darkness to any game that's come out this generation.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »

Quote from: Dunamis on October 05, 2009, 04:08:37 AM

I'm intrigued by the backward compatibility.  I've seen what I think are gamecube controllers even at Target.  These would be wired, correct?

Yes, the standard controller that came with the system was wired. Nintendo did later introduce a wireless called the wavebird, but they're hard to come by these days. If you can find one I do recommend getting at least 1 as it's an awesome controller in both comfort and quality - doesn't have rumble though. As well, some adults find it more comfortable due to the slightly larger size and heft resulting from the the 2xAA battery housing.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 07:50:06 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 05, 2009, 05:32:58 PM

Every Wii owner who didn't own a gamecube is mandated to get Eternal Darkness. I still prefer Eternal Darkness to any game that's come out this generation.

Agreed, next to RE4 it's the best mature game that was released for the system.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »

Don't get Super Paper Mario.  It's all right, but there's a ton of reading and your kids might be put off by it.  On the other hand, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game of this decade.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 12:29:59 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 05, 2009, 11:43:37 PM

DOn the other hand, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game of this decade.

saywhat

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 05:22:01 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 05, 2009, 11:43:37 PM

Don't get Super Paper Mario.  It's all right, but there's a ton of reading and your kids might be put off by it.  On the other hand, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game of this decade.

Agreed, although I did like SPM a lot, SMG is superior and a better game for kids. Even more suitable for kids IMO is Super Mario 64, which you can download on VC for $10. The 1 caveat being that it's best played with a GC controller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: