http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:49:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC magazines are too high!  (Read 1293 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2005, 10:50:54 PM »

Ok let me get out front here and say I have not purchased a magazine in 5 years or more. But I do still gawk at the covers and see the pricetags. These babies run $7.99 on up. And you get 100 pages or less it would appear. These scant pages are filled with pictures and 85% advertisements. They are getting all this ad money and yeat charge near $10 for a pithy little scrap of paper magazine. I find this to verge on robbery!

Oh sure you might get a demo cd. But you can get all this free online. Why do they bother? Probably to make you think its worth the cost. Each disc most likely costs them 1 cent, but they'll ad in $5 for you in the cost of the magazine Im sure.

Todays PC mags are just a ripoff for a shadow of what they once were. In the mid 90s you could buy a 300 pager filled with all your dreams for about $3.99 or so. I had tons of them. I spent weeks reading through a new one, taking my time, enjoying it all.

Those same mags are either dead in print or dead to me if they are still sold. They are nothing now and it makes me sad.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 11:07:26 PM »

I agree, which is why I don't buy them.  That and I can find everything online.

I do like that some of them can be had without the demo disc, which knocks a few dollars off the price.

Still, CPU is a magazine I liked to read but it has no demo disc and is still very expensive.  Maximum PC is one that can be had without the disc (or it used to be) but it's still quite an investment.

It must be difficult to be a PC mag in the internet age.  Perhaps that is why they charge so much despite the fact more than half of the pages are ads.

If you REALLY want one there are some great subscription deals to be had.  Just have to search them out.  I got sick of reading things like PC Magazine and the like even when I had free subs.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 11:32:15 PM »

The UK and Europe based magazines are much better.  You can usually find them in the magazine section of places like Borders, Barnes and Noble and Hastings.  They are pretty large and come with at least 2 CDs or DVDs with full (but older) programs on them.  The only drawback is that they run about $14.99 and with the shipping distance, usually run about 4 - 5  months behind.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 12:18:27 AM »

Given how much money they must be making from advertising, one would think they could be cheaper.

Take a look at a women's magazine, like Cosmo, and look at a game magazine.  Both are almost entirely advertisements.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 03:16:41 AM »

those are exactly the reasons i cancelled my subscription to PCGamer a couple years ago after getting them every month since their second issue.  what used to be a large, well-written bit of gaming news and reviews slowly turned into little more than a pamphlet with articles that tried harder to be entertaining than informative.  add to that fact that magazine news is often outdated thanks to the instant access to info as it happens on the internet, and i saw little reason to keep my subscription running.  i do miss the days of a reading a great gaming mag though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 04:11:13 AM »

I have yearly subscriptions to PC Gamer ($20), Computer Gaming World ($20) and GamePro (which I got like 2 years for $24 w/o disc). I enjoy them all and their porability to the porcelain throne. The ads never bothered me since they are all relevant to the subject matter of the magazine. I like seeing the latest Alienware computers, cheap drives from New Egg and all the ads for upcoming video/computer games.

If the ads are relevent to what I'm looking at, fine. If not I just turn the page.

As far as price goes hasn't bother me yet. I pay the subscriptions once a year and am done with it. Plus each month I at least have something to look forward to in the mail other than more, well, advertisments.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 04:20:33 AM »

I find that since I can get the info on the internet, I am better of saving the money, although I do enjoy reading the actual mags when I can get them for free through one of those promos. I really think the problem for me is that I can get the info quicker and in more detail on the net usually.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »

Not sure what people are talking about. The Gaming mags I get(CGW and CGM), are not %85 ads. Can't rememebr what CGM editor Steve baumen said over at Qt3 but the ad ratio was less than half the magzine. Pull out a muscle mag or Bride magazine it you want to see tons of ads.

If you have a subscription the magazines are about $2.50 an issue.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 02:15:38 PM »

A couple of thoughts.

newstand prices are extreme on all magazines. They want you to subscribe or to screw you on an impulse purchase.

Most game magazines are free if you lurk around the "hot deal" forum on this site and others like it.

At the risk of offending any writers reading this, the ads ARE the content of most of the gaming Magazines. You can see where the studios are putting their money by who they are buying ads for.

If you lurk on this board and others like it, 90% of the reviews and preview and demos in printed magazines will not appear timely to you. That's just the nature of the beast.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 02:33:37 PM »

I work for a daily newspaper and the general rule of thumb they shoot for is a 60/40 split. 60% ads and 40% content.

Not sure if this same thing applies to mags, but I'm guessing it's close. Although they appear to be ~80/20.
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 03:53:30 PM »

Just subscribe.  20 - 24 on a subscription is not bad at all, comes out to approx $2 a mag.  Like someone else said, great toilet reading (I can't lug my pc into the bathroom).

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 05:58:33 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Ok let me get out front here and say I have not purchased a magazine in 5 years or more. But I do still gawk at the covers and see the pricetags. These babies run $7.99 on up. And you get 100 pages or less it would appear. These scant pages are filled with pictures and 85% advertisements. They are getting all this ad money and yeat charge near $10 for a pithy little scrap of paper magazine. I find this to verge on robbery!

Todays PC mags are just a ripoff for a shadow of what they once were. In the mid 90s you could buy a 300 pager filled with all your dreams for about $3.99 or so. I had tons of them. I spent weeks reading through a new one, taking my time, enjoying it all.

Yup - I have a CGW mag from 1997 that's over a half-inch thick... just massive.  In comparison, I've taken to ripping out all of the two-sided ad pages of recent gaming magazines, and by the time I'm done there's less than 50 pages left (and most of those have ad content on at least one side of the page).  THe only magazine I read regularly is Retro Gamer - unfortunately it's $12, but it's published in the UK, it's higher quality than most of the US gaming mags, and you get a disc, so the cost is understandable.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 07:47:18 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Yup - I have a CGW mag from 1997 that's over a half-inch thick... just massive.  

I have a couple of old Computer Shoppers that I use to hold things up that are a good 3 - 3 1/2 inches thick.  Easily phonebook size.  The newer Computer Shoppers are pretty weak, but then again who needs the magazine when you have the same kind of thing at www.pricewatch.com and you can even order off that website.  

I get a couple of game mags a month, but only because I get them free with my Gamestop card or from freebie websites.  The only magazines I actually buy are Computer Music (for the free VST instruments) and PC Plus (for the free programs) and both of those are UK-based.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »

Quote from: "Qbert"
Just subscribe.  20 - 24 on a subscription is not bad at all, comes out to approx $2 a mag.  Like someone else said, great toilet reading (I can't lug my pc into the bathroom).

Get a laptop. biggrin

On a more serious note, I somehow have gotten ahold of a third party magazine seller that has some of my mags at great rates. I think I'm paying something along the line of $10 a year for PC Gamer (whatever it is, it's far less than what the usual subscription price is), and it includes the CD/DVD.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: