http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 12:30:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC games you want to love but can't  (Read 4032 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:59:55 AM »

This has probably been done before but I can't ever remember seeing it and anyways it probably needs updating anyways.  I'm going to me one for the Console forum as well because I've got a bunch for there as well!

Anyways here goes:

Europa Universalis 3- Wow grand strategy! So much potential, so much-I have no idea what the hell is going on!  Same goes for the Hearts of Iron series except more so.  I love most hardcore wargames but I guess my IQ just isn't good enough for this one.

Birth of America- EDIT- Well this one finally clicked on about my fourth attempt in a year and a half or maybe two years.  I'm not loving it per say but I'm finally understanding what this game is about.  It's 1:06am and I'm just finally going to bed-I had to keep clicking next turn, 'just to see how that attack will turn out' I kept saying to myself. smile
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 04:07:02 PM by Canuck » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »

I really wanted to love a few MMOs.  Namely Shadowbane (the town building stuff was way cool) and World of Warcraft (the setting and storyline mostly)  Neither panned out for me and I just ended up quitting. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

Pirates of the Burning Sea-  I mean, it's got pirates, so it should be awesome, but any combat outside of ship to ship combat sucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »

The Civilization series.  I almost picked up the Civilization Chronicles the other day, but for some reason I just can't get into it.  Granted, I only played the first one, and I really didn't have any idea what I was doing or what the figures represented.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »

Sins of a Solar Empire

I got it. (bought it)

I just don't "get it" yet. Not giving up yet, but for now, it falls under this topic for me.  icon_neutral But I was trying to be brave and venture into a territory (4X) that I never had before. Maybe it was a dumb notion (most of the time, if I buy a game too far out of my comfort zone, it just doesn't work out), but I really am tired of the same old thing and this seemed like something refreshing to me.

I bought one of the Sid Meier Civ games, but I never could get into it either. I had 999 gamers telling me it was the best game ever, but I just didn't "get it."

And of course WoW, which I bought, played the free month, never had any desire to play it or try it again. And about 8-9 million people disagree with me strongly.  Tongue

I have spotty luck when it comes to trying games because others are crazy about it. I got Hellgate and TR due largely to some positive things here and had a lot of fun, but I'm not currently playing either of those (I couldn't get Hellgate to update properly with the last patch and gave up on it for now). I tried City of Heroes and LOTORO late in each game's beta process because some folks I knew were excited about it and got me into the beta, and fell in love with both (3 1/2 years for COH, maybe 6 months for LOTORO). In both cases I think I actually ended up more excited about the game post launch than the people who got me in.

Blah, blah, I'm rambling. Well anyway, neat thread topic idea. I commend three, Canuck. smile
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:46:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:39:57 PM »

Black and White 1 & 2.
F.E.A.R.
FarCry
Quake 4

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 21, 2008, 07:39:57 PM

F.E.A.R.
FarCry

Agreed!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 11:02:30 PM »

Honestly (and I think I'm gonna catch some flak for this) Universal Combat, and Flight Sim X.

The concept behind UC is great, I think it's wonderful.  It's hampered by the interface.  Kudos to Derek Smart for designing the game he wanted to play.

Flight Sim X - I've gotten to the point that I need in-game objectives on some games.  Just taking off and flying is boring to me.  so I keep going back to LOMAC and IL2. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 11:29:24 PM »

Oooh that reminds me.  Flight sims in general.  I've bought and sold a couple of joysticks now.  I haven't sold the last one but I haven't used it in over a year either.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 02:06:33 PM »

Dark Meissah of Might and Magic.

I really wanted to like the game but it was just ok.
Ending was crappy and some part of games are just boring.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »

I'll probably get a lot of hate/disagreement, but here goes.

Two games from this year:

Crysis
Team Fortress 2

I played Crysis up until shortly before the alien part (I think) got distracted by some other stuff and haven't felt the need to go back.  It's odd because I loved Far Cry, having played it through 2 or 3 times, but Crysis just falls short.  It feels more linear than Far Cry and with seemingly omniscient and headshot-immune enemies, I felt railroaded into a rush style gameplay rather than the stealthy version I usually prefer.  The suit powers are creative, but the energy depletes too quickly to make it more than a novelty.  Not to mention the story is paper-thin, even worse than Far Cry.  I want to like it as I usually like games similar to this, but it just doesn't pull me in.

I got Team Fortress 2 as part of the Orange Box.  After beating Portal and Episode 2 I decided to try it out.  Usually I don't care for FPS multiplayer, but I've logged hundreds of hours into Counter-Strike and its mods.  Combined with the hype that put TF2 as the Second Coming, I was hoping for a good time.  TF2 isn't bad, but like Crysis I put in maybe 5 or 6 hours and never felt a desire to go back.  I was mildly entertained playing it, but it failed to sink in any hooks.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »

Bioshock and The Witcher, the witcher should have grabbed me, but the combat machanics, and the 'trick' boss fights just annoyed me. Give me NWN, BG, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, JA, Freedom Force,  The Fall, Soilders of Anarchy over Witcher anyday smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 05:27:40 AM »

F.E.A.R., FarCry, and SWG pretty much sum up my feelings on the subject.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »

Starcraft/Myth/just about any real-time strategy - I just can't get the hang of these games.

Civilization/SMAC/just about any turn-based strategy - I always just get bogged down in the complexity.  The only turn based game that has ever worked for me is Combat Mission, since it gives you one basic task to do.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 12:32:32 AM »

Yeah, with the Civ games, they are only going to be fun if you get into the number crunching required in a turn-based game with such complexity.  I kind of like that myself.  Here are some I couldn't get into:

1.  Tabula Rasa:  No grouping made me very sad.  Seemed a bit too simple, and everyone is too much alike.

2.  Heroes of Might and Magic V: For some reason the graphics actually hurt the gameplay for me.  Still nothing beats HOMM3.

3.  Neverwinter Nights 2: I may go back to this one, but I stopped playing about the time you have to start building a fortress.  Seems like too much "work" to play.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »

NWN 2.  I've now purchased this game 3 seperate times, hoping that one of the times it would 'click'.  Never did. frown
The Witcher - It's a game that should be right up my alley, but I can never shake the feeling the whole thing was written by a snickering 12-year-old.
Any RTS game - I really used to enjoy RTS, back in the AoE and Starcraft days.  Maybe it's just my old age, but now every one of them seems far too complicated for me to enjoy.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »

Jade Empire: Special Edition. It looks like they spent a lot of time on the PC version but I'm having a difficult time getting in to the game. I like RPG's, I like Kung Fu, but something about this game just isn't clicking. I boot it up every once in awhile and play for 15-20 minutes then get bored and stop.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 07:43:09 PM »

There's a lot of games I want to love and can't.

Master of Orion 3 - I played it for about 2 hours and wanted to like it but I felt as though I had no idea what I was doing the entire time I played. Too much depth killed this for me. (That and the fact everyone says it was a bad game. It was only five bucks anyways when I bought it 3 years ago).

Pool of Radiance: The Ruins of Myth Drannor - as a kid, my first RPG was the original Pool of Radiance. I played through it three times, easy. When this game came out, I pre-ordered it ($100 Canadian for the collectors edition) and ... was it ever a crapfest.

Neverwinter Nights (1): As a huge fan of all the games running under the Baldur's Gate engine, I was really looking forward to NWN. I was really excited to make my own levels. Then I got it, with both strat guides. And I tried messing around with the world designer. And I realized something - I was 2 - 3 years into programming, and I was not ready to learn another scripting tool for this. If this game came out now, I'd be all over it I think. But at that time, I just didn't want to work on making my own stuff. I felt the gameplay engine wasn't up to par either - the main game that shipped with it, I never got very far into it. It was all so meh.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 04:30:45 AM »

Star Wars: Empire at War - Man, the RTS battles in this just kill it for me, and the auto-resolve feature is wonky at best (along with the rest of the game not being deep enough to have lasting interest without the battles playing out). Though admittedly, I'm not a big RTS fan, but a Rebellion-esque Star Wars game was too much to pass up. It's due for a third attempt to "click" with me sometime soon.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »

Any of the Combat Mission games.  I get really excited reading the manual about all the stuff they have modeled.  But when it comes to playing, I just can't get into it.  It's a combination of bad graphics, debatable UI, no handholding (like a tutorial campaign), no overall goal (just a bunch of scenarios) and overall roughness of low production value.  I like the core gameplay concept.  If something like this was made by a bigger studio with a lot more money invested in production, I'd be all over it.  I know many people will say that my complaints are petty and that's probably true but I'm still hung up over them.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »

Anachronox- can't make it through the beginning.  I know it's supposed to get better afterward, but I've never been able to make it through.  I'm still keeping it, just in case some day I magically have three years with which to catch up on all my backlog (and WoW ceases to exist).

Fallout 2- Worst... beginning... ever.  I can't even understand how this beginning made it through playtesting.  You sit there for 20 minutes or more making your guy... and then get killed by the first giant scorpion that hits you as soon as you enter the game.  W... T... F.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 07:05:39 PM »

Team Fortress 2.  I absolutely LOVE the style they went with this game, but I couldn't play it for more than a couple sessions before I was so bored.
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »

X3 Reunion.  Really wanted to love this game, but a proper flexible slot view is important to me for realism and to really feel the expanse of space while flying through it.

The graphic of an immovable rear end of a space ship just kills the game for me.  sigh. crybaby
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 04:03:08 PM by ANZAC » Logged

Byte me
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 02:09:40 AM »

Republic : the revolution.

I so wanted a political game that was good but it just didnt live up to what anyone expected, i still play it from time to time but it's really bad and only alternative are democracy 1 and 2 but they crash on me alot.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »

Starcraft for me. I liked it but didn't love it. Its not special to me. Yet to millions of others that makes me a heretic. Its a fun RTS But not great and again not special. For it's time it was different yes. But thats it. Sorry. Best part about it and what I actually liked the most, were the CGI cutscenes in it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 02:47:51 PM »

Sins of the Solare Empire.  It just didn't click.

Privateer 2 -Again, just didn't click

Portal - Got stuck on a puzzle and never looked back. 

Planescape: Torment - Another game that I have that is unfinished.  Got stuck somewhere in the middle and ddn't care to move on

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 14, 2008, 02:47:51 PM

Planescape: Torment - Another game that I have that is unfinished.  Got stuck somewhere in the middle and ddn't care to move on

yeah, add that one to my list too.  I've owned it twice and gave it a couple of shots on Gametap but it just won't click.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 14, 2008, 02:53:13 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 14, 2008, 02:47:51 PM

yeah, add that one to my list too.  I've owned it twice and gave it a couple of shots on Gametap but it just won't click.

Then you are just an irredeemable facet of humanity that shouldn't associate with the rest of us.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »

Planescape Torment.

The game that reads like a bad D&D novel.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 14, 2008, 04:41:28 PM

Then you are just an irredeemable facet of humanity that shouldn't associate with the rest of us.

and you're just figuring that out?

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 14, 2008, 04:45:39 PM

Planescape Torment.

So, ok, you go to hell and you die?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 14, 2008, 05:10:44 PM

Planescape Torment.

I just thought the reading to playing ratio was way too high for my tastes.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 14, 2008, 05:16:23 PM

Planescape Torment.

I just thought the reading to playing ratio was way too high for my tastes.

It's definitely not for everyone-for my money though, when I play recent story heavy RPGs (NWN2 at least tried), even if the core gameplay mechanics are better (and NWN2 has a far superior combat engine for example) they always fall short of PS:T (or BG2 for that matter). I would just rather read more and have it make for an incredible gaming experience then deal with the overall mediocrity we get too often in RPGs these days.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 12:24:10 AM »

Planescape Torment.

good thing you didn't say Two Worlds was better written.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 12:37:54 AM »

I finished Planescape but due to all that reading Ive never replayed it..and never will. My eyes are even worse now than then and I think it hurt them some itself.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 01:30:40 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 15, 2008, 12:37:54 AM

I finished Planescape but due to all that reading Ive never replayed it..and never will. My eyes are even worse now than then and I think it hurt them some itself.

Shocker.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 05:17:42 PM »

* Gothic 3. So, so buggy. Could never finish it. Yet I had such fond memories...
* Darkstar One. Just bought it (It's $10 on Steam). Everything seems a bit too much like Freelancer, yet Freelancer seems to do everything a bit better. The more I play this game the more I want to reinstall Freelancer.
* Two Worlds. Also just bought it (was $10 on Steam). The voice acting is so horrid I want to rip my ears out. Instead, I'm just not playing it. But Horse Combat was kinda fun, so I might go back to it.
* Forged Alliance. I loved Supreme Commander, but Forged Alliance got so little of my love compared to SupComm. Just got worn out of the formula, I suppouse. frown
* World of Warcraft. Monthly fees? No thank you.
* Guild Wars. No monthly fees? Awesome. Not having friends to play with you? Boring.
* Team Fortress 2. Great game on the outside, but it lacks depth in my opinion. Never was a huge fan of the first TF, though, so maybe I just don't like the formula.
* Resident Evil 4. No mouse support. &@#$. But I heard there was a patch enabled mouse support AND better graphics? I may just reinstall this bad boy.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »

Any real time strategy game. I played lots of Warcraft 2 but it seemed like, in multiplayer especially, you'd spend all this time just building and building then you'd have one big battle and it would be over. All that time and work was just over so quickly. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it just sort of boils down to that for me. And I don't like having to make decisions so quickly in the real time games. I like to have time to think a little bit before acting.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

The Witcher - I may love it after it's patched, but how can you love a game that crashes every 30 minutes?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 08:26:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 16, 2008, 07:10:48 PM

but how can you love a game that crashes every 30 minutes?

easy: be one of those lucky bastards who have very little problems with the game  Tongue

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: