http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:37:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC Games - Graphical Showcases  (Read 402 times)
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »

This is kind of a lame question, but I figured I would ask the community.  So I mentioned in another thread that I recently upgraded my video card (along with some other components).  I game in spurts and often miss great games.  I went to Steam to look for a game to really show me what the new video card could do but nothing jumped out at me.  I'm curious to see if there are any obvious ones I am missing as the sites I go to focus mostly on recent games, but often times there are older games I have missed.  What I have:

Diablo 3
Tomb Raider
Dishonored
Borderlands 2
Fallout 3
Bioshock Infinite

It's altogether possible I have it covered, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on something.  Any suggestions for me to try?
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

The Metro games are supposed to be pushing the PCs capabilities.

IMO, none of the below are graphical showcases:

Diablo 3
Dishonored
Borderlands 2
Fallout 3
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »

Borderlands 2 for PhysX., play the Siren.

Also, Batman Arkham games use it as well.

Lastly, Assassin's Creed. You should have that with any 7xx series.

Splinter Cell Blacklist should look pretty spiffy too (also included with a new Nvidia purchase)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »

Far Cry 3 maybe?
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't saying any of the listed games were graphical showcases, just that I had them in the case they were considered good.

For AC, I briefly played the first one but was turned off by the Sci Fi concept.  Silly, I know, it was just my reaction.  How are the stories once get into them?  Is the out of body part a big portion of the games or just an excuse to constantly move environments/settings?  I haven't followed the series at all.  I see AC4 was released today.  Would that perhaps be a good place to start?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »

Skyrim - download of the texture packs out there.  It will certainly push your card

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »

Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 are probably the two best looking games around.  I have a very high end PC and Crysis 3 still doesn’t run great at maximum settings.

Also, I love Dishonored but it is a rather ugly looking game.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on November 19, 2013, 06:48:33 PM

Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 are probably the two best looking games around.  I have a very high end PC and Crysis 3 still doesn’t run great at maximum settings.

Also, I love Dishonored but it is a rather ugly looking game.

I read some reviews on Metro Last Light and it sounds very interesting.  I'm not very good a FPS, so it's a bit daunting at that level.  What also is interesting is the reviews knock the visuals as being drab, but also say that it looks good and has high production values.

Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 definitely popped up on the graphics front in my initial searches.  Far Cry 3 sounded a bit more interesting due to the RPG elements.  Witcher 2 has also popped up as a great graphical game.  Any merit to that?

Dishonored is fun, but I agree it is ugly.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Travis on November 19, 2013, 07:01:57 PM

Witcher 2 has also popped up as a great graphical game.  Any merit to that?

It's definitely a great looking game.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »

Witcher 2 is a great looking game once you get past the initial areas, and character models look great, but animation of them can get a bit poor. It's still a beast of a game graphically. I had to turn down settings on my Crossfire 7870 to get it to run well. But on the 780 GTX its more than playable with all settings turned up.

I saw it come up on GOG for $12 or something during the "insomnia" sale they are running. May come up again or will probably go on sale during Steams Fall sale.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:46 PM »

it's also one of the best games on this list.  Far Cry 3 is great fun but if you aren't that into FPS, it really takes away some of the appeal.  it's not a run and gun CoD game, but has a great stealth mechanism and lets you set up great ambushes and stalking enemies through the high grass.  I recommend it completely for FPS fans. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »

another + for Far Cry 3 and Witcher 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »

I am a big RPG fan.  Perhaps Witcher 2 will win out tonight.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »

It's not that I dislike FPS, it's just that I kind of suck at mouse aiming.  I loved the Bioshock games but I set them at Easy.  I guess I'm a pretty big story fan as well and the FPS genre can be a bit light with story in my past experiences. 

How about Max Payne 3?  That one is getting mentioned as having great graphics as well which kind of shocks me as it didn't look that good from the screen shots I saw.  Perhaps it's a "when everything is motion" sort of deal.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »

Quote from: Travis on November 19, 2013, 06:02:44 PM

For AC, I briefly played the first one but was turned off by the Sci Fi concept.  Silly, I know, it was just my reaction.  How are the stories once get into them?  Is the out of body part a big portion of the games or just an excuse to constantly move environments/settings?  I haven't followed the series at all.  I see AC4 was released today.  Would that perhaps be a good place to start?

The first one was almost a tech demo - you can safely ignore that one.  AC2 and AC: Brotherhood are considered the best of the series by a lot of people.  Not sure how AC4 stacks up yet.

The sci-fi stuff is around the periphery, but the meat of the game is exploring the historical eras and being a general badass.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »

From the original list, Tomb Raider is a very good-looking game, especially with the PhysX hair turned on.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on November 19, 2013, 11:27:46 PM

From the original list, Tomb Raider is a very good-looking game, especially with the PhysX hair turned on.

It is, but I have beaten it already smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »

Quote from: Travis on November 19, 2013, 06:02:44 PM

My time with the earlier chapters of AC4 suggest it would be one of the best points for a newcomer to jump in.  It basically tosses you in and says, "You're this guy.  Go be a pirate!"  If not for the number in the title, you might not know it was a sequel at all.

The sci-fi framing around the Assassin's Creed games is pretty low key in most of the games.  II, Brotherhood, and Revelations barely pushed it on you at all - you could play practically the whole game without visiting the modern day if you didn't want to.  The third game had more than most, partially because it was wrapping up the main story arc, but it was still a lot better than how the first game handled things.  I liked seeing how they were able to incorporate AC-style parkour into current day environments.

The part that never goes away, however, is the glitchy Animus tech veneer they use to stylize the interface.  Chests will always glow with floating data bits, landscapes will always unfold and collapse like digital pop-up books between chapters, and major assassinations are often followed by a quiet chat in the Matrix.   If the intrusiveness of that veneer is the part you like the least, I might recommend Dishonored or Hitman: Absolution as good alternatives.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: