http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 09:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC Gamer....  (Read 6372 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2006, 04:21:50 PM »

Wow...if this isn't hype....

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=80884

Originally Posted by PC Gamer:
"We've got a world-exclusive announcement that is so big, so juicy, and so unbelieveably mind blowingly fun that you're probably going to wet yourself upon seeing the cover. Prepare yourself: either stuff your shorts with absorbent easy-to-get-ahold- of household materials (old T-shirts and socks should do the trick), or break down and invest in some Depends. Whichever way you go, so long as your're prepared to get a little damp in the seat, you'll be ready for our March issue."

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:46:16 PM »

Guesses anyone ?

My money is that is involves Blizzard somehow.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »

More BS lameness spouted by an idiot.

My guess is Star Wars Empire at War demo which of course everyone will already have off the net.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TomAEG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »

Yeah, I'd say Diablo III, Starcraft 2 or Baldur's Gate III. Who knows!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 06:34:55 PM »

I feel very confident in saying that there's no way this will be any of those three projects.  Word would have managed to leak out somewhere already if it was.

My guess is that Daehawk nailed it on the head.  It's that stupid scooter thing all over again.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
TomAEG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:50:51 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
I feel very confident in saying that there's no way this will be any of those three projects.  Word would have managed to leak out somewhere already if it was.

My guess is that Daehawk nailed it on the head.  It's that stupid scooter thing all over again.

I don't know. More and more, dev teams are getting excited about making a huge splash with their product announcements. I have little doubt that if it's one of those three titles, the teams responsible could do a great job of keeping their mouths shut--particularly if they've been told by management that any leak would equal termination. So the options for folks involved in the games are: Tell someone about it and risk getting fired or keep quiet and be involved in making one of the most anticipated games of all time.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 07:13:45 PM »

Quote from: "TomAEG"
Quote from: "Big Jake"

I don't know. More and more, dev teams are getting excited about making a huge splash with their product announcements. I have little doubt that if it's one of those three titles, the teams responsible could do a great job of keeping their mouths shut--particularly if they've been told by management that any leak would equal termination. So the options for folks involved in the games are: Tell someone about it and risk getting fired or keep quiet and be involved in making one of the most anticipated games of all time.

And we like seeing these...to an extent.  After awhile, it is human nature to start putting them in the 'Cry Wolf' category, especially if the title didn't live up to its hype or had a flaw.  Marketing a game is hard.  Each dev wants their own title to be AAA list, so they start by building the attention on it.

Those of us who are reporting on these thing do care about these titles as well, but to a lesser degree (unless it's something important to an individual reporter), and then the masses care just that much less about it.    *Sigh* So many titles, not enough time to review/promote/play them all properly. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 08:28:36 PM »

My guess? Duke Nukem Forever exclusive preview!

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
TomAEG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:45:49 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
And we like seeing these...to an extent.  After awhile, it is human nature to start putting them in the 'Cry Wolf' category, especially if the title didn't live up to its hype or had a flaw.  Marketing a game is hard.  Each dev wants their own title to be AAA list, so they start by building the attention on it.

Yeah... the thing that piques my interest the most is that it's PC Gamer making these claims in their own mag. Will the fact that this news has spread across the net sell more copies of the magazine? Not likely--it'll be on the cover anyway. So that leads me to believe that it will be a damn huge announcement. PC Gamer gets enough stories that they don't need to hype up the ones that aren't going to be interesting. That's my 2 cents
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 09:41:33 PM »

Quote from: "Mattc0m"
My guess? Duke Nukem Forever exclusive preview!

Heard on another board that this has been denied. To bad though... was hoping that it was duke soon done news...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 10:13:52 PM »

There have been a lot of rumors lately about Diablo 3, which would be my guess as to what it is.  Either that, or it's nothing slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »

paint ball 4 and deer hunter combo pack!!  biggrin

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:58:19 PM »

Their new editor in chief, Vedermen, is an outspoken Diablo nut, and the above quote has his writing style stamped all over it.  I'm reaching, I know smile
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:01:21 PM »

I bet it is an announcement that we are all incontinent.

PSN ID: EduardoX
solarisgax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 11:34:05 PM »

greg vederman is running the magazine now...

so it could be anything...
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 12:09:20 AM »

Blizzard doesn't need a PC Gamer exclusive to get everyone tight in the pants.  But hey if it's Starcraft 2 then hell yeah.

My guess is an exclusive Oblivion review.

Just Hiro will do.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 12:43:32 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
Blizzard doesn't need a PC Gamer exclusive to get everyone tight in the pants.  But hey if it's Starcraft 2 then hell yeah.

My guess is an exclusive Oblivion review.

Oblivion isn't much of an announcement, much less a review.  Plus, hasn't it already been on the cover?

My money is also on something from Blizzard.  I can't imagine what else would get people to piss themselves over.  To ring the hype bell so loud, well it's got to be something both huge and unexpected.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 02:17:25 AM »

Couldalso be Bioshock or System Shock 3.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 03:04:37 AM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"

Yeah, but PCG and Blizzard are still pretty linked.  IIRC, PCG got the "exclusive" first review for both Diablo 2 and Warcrarft 3 by flying to Blizzard's offices and playing them onsite before they were even finished.  

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it were a Blizzard game they are referring to.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 03:39:44 AM »

*Crosses Fingers*

KOTOR 3

*Uncrosses Fingers*
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 04:06:07 AM »

What if it's a playable demo of Spore smile

unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 04:21:18 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Couldalso be Bioshock or System Shock 3.

I think they already did a pre-preview of Bioshock.  SS3, from recent rumors, was in a state of pre-development, but may have been cancelled.  Or not.  But either way, it would (reportedly, anyway) only be in a pre-development stage right now.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 08:31:32 AM »

It's an announcement, so it's not going to be any game we already know of.

My money is on Diablo III.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 10:31:45 AM »

World of Starcraft.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »

While that would definitely rock, I'm not sure Blizzard would launch a competing product to WoW.

But then again, I've always said that if you have to compete against someone, it may as well be yourself.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 02:52:19 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
While that would definitely rock, I'm not sure Blizzard would launch a competing product to WoW.

But then again, I've always said that if you have to compete against someone, it may as well be yourself.

Actually... if they compete against themselves, they'll lighten the load on the WoW servers and solve some of their technical issues with that game by default, but without losing any of the revenue.  slywink  Especially since the Blizzard fans would probably pay for both subs at the same time.

I've done two mmo's at once before; only thing that stopped me was the lack of time.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 07:46:15 PM »

The only EXCLUSIVE I'm interested in is Vederman being fired.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 02:25:13 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Actually... if they compete against themselves, they'll lighten the load on the WoW servers and solve some of their technical issues with that game by default, but without losing any of the revenue.  slywink  Especially since the Blizzard fans would probably pay for both subs at the same time.

I've done two mmo's at once before; only thing that stopped me was the lack of time.  smile

My guide in such things is looking at shopping malls.  A few years back, I found out that most of the stores in the malls are owned by a small handful of companies.  For example, Gap - Banana Republic - Old Navy, or (now) Babbage's - GameStop - EB.  Then, of course, there are the music stores which are almost all the same company, and the trendy clothes stores, which probably comprise at most fewer than ten companies.

So yes, they have competition in the mall.  But, they are competing with themselves; all the money is going into different pockets in the same pair of pants.  That's a far better position to be in than having a bona fide competitor.

Hey, if they did a World of Starcraft, and included it along with the subscription price (or even a tiny bit more) with my WoW account, I would be all over it.  IMO, this world NEEDS a really kick-ass Sci-Fi RPG.  Fantasy is SO overdone.
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 03:06:24 AM »

Wasn't there supposed to be a sci-fi theamed one comming up?  "Citizen Zero" or something like that?

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:15 AM »

Quote from: "Hapfloyde"
Wasn't there supposed to be a sci-fi theamed one comming up?  "Citizen Zero" or something like that?

Citizen Zero was originally going to come out for the Xbox and PC, but it was something more like Planetside.

Imperator looked to be interesting and I had high hopes for it, but that got canned shortly after E3.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 09:42:07 AM »

A friend mentioned RF Online, but I have no idea what kind of game it is, beyond that it has sci-fi with an elf looking race.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »

RF Online is another MMO.  From what I understand, it mixes sci-fi with fantasy, but not in a cyberpunk way... more like a japaneze comic way or something.  Codemasters is doing the U.S. release, or at least has some role in it.

My prediction:  It will be mediocre at best, with lots of people hyping it up because they are so excited about something sci-fi'ish finally being released that isn't 5 years old.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 12:21:41 AM »

Yeah, the MMOG part I noticed, but I also noticed they really didnt discuss their system that much (which may be understandable, considering they are just starting beta testing).  

Anyway, I guess if you preorder, you can get in the beta.  To me, that just screams that you will end up paying for post-release beta testing.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 01:50:21 AM »

DIABLO 3!!!
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 04:14:01 AM »

D3 would probably compete with WoW too much, especially if it used the free Battle.net model that Diablo games have used in the past.

Not that I wouldnt love to see it, however.

Hey- here is a choice.  If you could have "World of Starcraft" or "Diablo 3", which would you choose?
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 04:34:17 AM »

I believe it is a Diablo 3 announcement.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 04:37:37 AM »

World of Diablo?  World of Starcraft?  Diablo III?  Starcraft II?  Warcraft IV?

I'm betting it's one of those 5 possibilities.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 04:42:44 AM »

HHhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm maybe it IS Diablo 3.

Blizzard's Battle.net posted an MP3 player that has all 23 original tracks from Diablo series. "Players can now listen to their favorite in-game music from the Diablo series with just a few mouse clicks. The Diablo 2 MP3 player features many unforgettable tracks from the game, including: Tristram, Toru, and Hell!"

http://www.battle.net/

So they are releasing a MP3 players with all the Diablo music....related?

Man o man does that music bring back memories..awww.

unbreakable
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 08:50:02 AM »

A few weeks ago they released a WoW MP3 player.  I'm guessing more that it was a project somebody was screwing around with, and they decided it would be cool to put all their stuff up there with it.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 01:50:11 PM »

I will be getting this day one.  I am really looking forward to this game

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: