http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:06:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC gamer thinking of buying a handheld  (Read 2108 times)
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2005, 12:04:49 AM »

I've been solely a PC gamer (mainly like RPGs and strategy games) and have recently thought of buying a handheld game device.  The last time I played one of these things was various sports games (Calico?) when I was a kid and all it was was flashing lights on a square grid.  I see they've come a long way since then  smile   What game device should I buy and can you recommend some games I might like?
stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 12:27:15 AM »

This is an interesting question...  Do you really think you need a handheld that bad?

Console RPG's are different from their PC counterparts.  It really depends on what kind of strategy you are looking for as well.  Strategy-RPG's are available on handhelds, but not deep wargames or even RTS titles.  Again, I don't have any examples of your tastes to work with, but don't go in looking for Baldur's Gate/NWN or Korsan Pocket/Warcraft III on a handheld.

If you are looking to play sports games that are similar to that on the PC and console then you might look at the PSP.  No doubt it will have some great original titles in the future, but most will agree that the moment is not now.  One plus it can boast (besides the fantastic screen) is the multimedia capabilities.  This might matter to you or it may not depending on your needs.

Otherwise, at least at this point in the cycle, I'd reccomend the GameBoy DS due to the vast catalog of GBA games and the upcoming DS titles.  There are sports games but they thend to have that Nintendo look to them.  Despite this cartoon look they play very well!  Developers seem to be getting the hang of the dual screen/stylus deal as well.

Just my opinion.  If you give us some ideas of what you are looking for we can probably help you further.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting a handheld, just letting you know things are a bit different in console land!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 12:37:07 AM »

I feel I may be missing out on some gaming goodness if I don't try a handheld.  I've been PC gaming forever, and haven't tried a console for umpteen years.  So I'm curious and would like to try one.

I'm not interested in sports games at all.  I like RTS, turn-based strategy and RPGs the most.  I also enjoy FPS and action RPGs from time to time.  It appears the Nintendo DS has the most available games right now, correct?  What are the "must have" games for it?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 01:13:52 AM »

Quote from: "ioticus"
I like RTS, turn-based strategy and RPGs the most.  I also enjoy FPS and action RPGs from time to time.  It appears the Nintendo DS has the most available games right now, correct?  What are the "must have" games for it?

I think you might want to start with Gameboy Advance games which would play just fine on your DS.  The great DS games are coming quickly.  For GBA games I'd certainly recommend both Fire Emblem games and Final Fantasy Tactics advance.  They are RPG/strategy hybrids and are excellent.  For a pure turn-based wargame you can't go wrong with either of the Advance Wars games.

And personally I couldn't live without Mario Golf for the GBA but that's me.  I'm weird.
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 01:32:23 AM »

In looking at the DS, I'm seeing an Electric Blue variety.  Is the only difference between this and the regular DS the color?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 01:40:43 AM »

In looking at the DS, I'm seeing an Electric Blue variety.  Is the only difference between this and the regular DS the color?

No, just the color.  I think it is limited edition, but I'd just pick the color you like best and go with that.  Currently most stores are also giving Super Mario DS away with the DS as well.

As far as games, I will just echo warning's list!  That's really the cream of the crop right there as far as strategy goes.

ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 02:19:22 AM »

Looks like a lot of those games are hard to find.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 02:30:38 AM »

The first Fire Emblem might be.  The second just came out last month so it shouldn't be too difficult to track down.  As for Advance Wars 1 or 2, those are most easily (and cheaply) found used at EB or GameStop.  Finding FFTA new might be a bit of a chore as well, but there should be ample numbers on the pre-owned market.

Good luck!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 03:35:57 AM »

All of them (except the first Advance Wars) are in stock at http://www.gamequestdirect.com/.  They have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance in stock and I've had a hard time finding it elsewhere.  I've bought from them before and they have been very reliable.
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 04:51:28 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

All of them (except the first Advance Wars) are in stock at http://www.gamequestdirect.com/.  They have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance in stock and I've had a hard time finding it elsewhere.  I've bought from them before and they have been very reliable.

Thanks for that link!

By the way, do I need to buy anything extra for the DS?  Any hidden costs?  I read something about "memory cards" but I don't know if I need those.  How do you save games?
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »

Since the GBA and DS use cartridges (well, the DS is closer to a Flash card), games that support saves will do it directly to the game media.

No other hardware except the console and the game are required.

Chris.
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 06:17:14 PM »

Europa Universalis and Jagged Alliance for the DS (eventually) make the DS a no-brainer here.  Enjoy.  smile
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 12:09:06 AM »

There are also people trying to get Linux to run on the DS, so you may actually be able to surf the internet wirelessly from your DS someday.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 03:58:07 AM »

By the way, do I need to buy anything extra for the DS?  Any hidden costs?

Along this line, what about the extras such as the screen protectors and car charger? Are these or any other extras necessaties?
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
There are also people trying to get Linux to run on the DS, so you may actually be able to surf the internet wirelessly from your DS someday.

If you want to run non-first party apps the PSP is your best bet.  You can arleady surf wirelessly, it doesn't require a wide open wireless connection (pet peeve), has emu's available, an AVI player, a kit to downgrade the firmware, etc.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 04:43:18 PM »

I'd recommend trying some of these games before you make a decision.  While GBA RPG's and strategy games are cool, they are NOT the same as what you've been playing on your PC.  The Game Boy Advance is, in technical terms, a portable version of 10 year old console technology, and the games reflect that.  Since you say you have no recent console experience, you may find that you don't like the console style of these game types. The PSP is closer to current technology, but once again there is a difference in what "RPG" and "strategy game" mean on a console and what they mean on a PC.

Also, how are you going to use the system?  In other words, are there regular situations (long flights, commute, etc) where having a hand-held gaming device will be useful?  Lot's of people buy portable gaming devices and never hardly play them because most of their gaming time coincides with access to their PC or home console.  The portable's generally don't compete well against their more powerful relatives.  

See if you can borrow a Gameboy or go to a store that let's you try a system out.   Most places that sell used will let you try the system beforehand.  Keep in mind that for most retailers (online or off) once you open that new box it's defective exchange only.

Good luck.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »

Quote from: "Sterling"
Quote from: "unbreakable"

If you want to run non-first party apps the PSP is your best bet.  You can arleady surf wirelessly, it doesn't require a wide open wireless connection (pet peeve), has emu's available, an AVI player, a kit to downgrade the firmware, etc.

Can wireless surfing be done without using hacks?  If it can, that would be a big plus in my book, but I would likely end up using at least some hacks anyway; playing emu's would kick ass.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 07:20:31 AM »

I'd be weary of buying a PSP now for emus and homebrew. As far as I know, a lot of them on sale are 1.52 firmware, and that's not being hacked yet.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 09:11:00 AM »

I was also like you. Now I own a psp and a ds. Both are great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: