http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:38:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC Game That I Can't Put A Name On  (Read 1787 times)
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2005, 10:00:11 AM »

Allright, I have been thinking about this old game for a while now, I had some fun with it when I first played it, but then I encountered a bug and would have had to start all over again, so instead, I took it back to EB and they gave me something else.

Thing is, I have kinda been wanting to play it for a while now.  Even though it was a bit buggy.

It was made by the old Red Storm game company, and it was about aliens who had conquered the planet, and you play a woman who reluctantly joins the resistance and fights the aliens.  It was more of an adventure game than an action game, as I recall, and although some of it was bad, I still kinda liked it.

Anyone have any idea what game I am talking about?

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 10:07:37 AM »

Eww... That would be Freedom: First Resistance.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 10:53:23 AM »

Yes, I'm familar with it as well. http://www.oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/60.html

Ascendent
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 02:45:33 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Yes, I'm familar with it as well. http://www.oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/60.html

Ascendent

Heh.  Not an OMM review!   :lol:   Poor game never had a chance....
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 03:30:12 PM »

Oh my that's a funny review.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 06:48:24 PM »

Ahh yes, Freedom: First Resitance.  That is the name of it.

As for why anyone would want to play it, I am somewhat.... "quirky".  Sometimes I enjoy the hell out of a game no one else likes.  For instance, I really loved Project Eve.  I played it from start to finish, and loved every minute of it.

I tried to get a friend of mine to play Project Eve through with me, and after 4.5 minutes of it he just looked at me, as if to say "We aren't friends anymore dude. Perhaps you could leave now."

I do remember that OMM review.  I also remember (with the help of OMM) the strange monitor noises, and the stupid way of reloading after death.  And still I hope to find a copy of it somewhere.

:oops:

Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 07:35:17 PM »

If you do play it, let us know how long it takes before it BLOWS UP YOUR MONITOR.   :lol:

(HBZ)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 08:39:47 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
Ahh yes, Freedom: First Resitance.  That is the name of it.

As for why anyone would want to play it, I am somewhat.... "quirky".  Sometimes I enjoy the hell out of a game no one else likes.  For instance, I really loved Project Eve.  I played it from start to finish, and loved every minute of it.

I tried to get a friend of mine to play Project Eve through with me, and after 4.5 minutes of it he just looked at me, as if to say "We aren't friends anymore dude. Perhaps you could leave now."

I do remember that OMM review.  I also remember (with the help of OMM) the strange monitor noises, and the stupid way of reloading after death.  And still I hope to find a copy of it somewhere.

:oops:

odd, we must be the only people on the planet who liked project eve.  funny enough, i got the same look too from my friend when we tried playing it together.  i think we ended up playing tribes 2 instead.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 09:56:54 PM »

I don't have a CRT monitor any more, it will be ... interesting ... to see what happens when Freedom First Resistance puts my Flatscreen through its paces...

I sure hope it doesn't blow it up.  But if it does, I will have an excellent excuse for buying a newer, better flatscreen.

As for people not liking Project Eve, I have noticed that when I play with my friends, most of them would rather compete with me and try to kill me than play a game where we work together to accomplish goals.  The only exception to this rule were the Rainbow Six games.  We had fun playing together against the computer, but I think even that was (for them) a competition to see who would be the last player standing...

Personally, I prefer working with my friends, and not trying to kill each other.  I have never enjoyed competition.  I have never cared if I was better at something than one of my friends, and it infuriates me when I am lousy at something, and they inevitably rub it in.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 01:17:35 AM »

How come I can find any links to Project Eve?If it's a quirky Sci-Fi game, I might like it, too.

Ale
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 09:47:21 AM »

Well.... Perhaps it is because I am a moron, and I called it Project Eve, when it is in fact, Project Eden.  :oops:   An older Eidos game.

I see copies of it all the time down at my EB.

Perhaps, armed with the correct name of the game, future searches for information will provide results.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 08:46:24 PM »

Quote from: "Hamsterball_Z"
If you do play it, let us know how long it takes before it BLOWS UP YOUR MONITOR.   :lol:

Man, how I remember laughing at this review.

And, in short, for anybody else who thinks that making games out of books is a good idea - don't.

Unless your name is Tom Clancy, anyway.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 10:13:58 PM »

Well, if you haven't been dissuaded yet, you can find F:FR here:
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/pcd/11833520/prd/17879031/ccsyn/260/_x_/NothingButSoftware-com-Anne-McCaffrey's-Freedom:-First-Resistance

They actually have a lot of older PC games dirt-cheap; you might wish to scan their listings for other games to take the sting off shipping costs.

And now I wash my hands of this affair entirely...   Cool
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 12:42:22 AM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
Well.... Perhaps it is because I am a moron, and I called it Project Eve, when it is in fact, Project Eden.  :oops:   An older Eidos game.

I see copies of it all the time down at my EB.

Perhaps, armed with the correct name of the game, future searches for information will provide results.

and i helped so much by agreeing with you.  man, i must have been wearing the drunk goggles when i saw that.  time to see the eye doc.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 11:23:34 AM »

Today, my copy of Freedom First Resistance came in...

Now, do I dare install it and run it?  Will my monitor BLOW UP?

I don't know if I should do it or not.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: