http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:17:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Payday : The Heist  (Read 1401 times)
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:45:48 AM »

I downloaded PayDay: The Heist over the weekend after hearing some good things about it.

In short: a fantastic co-op game for around $20. Really well done and worth checking out.

The developers are supporting it really well: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1225

Worth checking out-

R
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:24:45 AM »

I posted about this game elsewhere.  I was interested in it until I saw a game trailer that was just scene after scene of cops getting shot by players.  I had hoped it was a bit more stealth and tactics.  Plus, it was kind of disturbing,IMHO.  Is it different in execution than the trailers seem to depict?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »

Hepcat,

I think the trailer pretty well captures the gameplay. Objective based, and waves of killing. Not always law enforcement, but most of the time. Some of them are quite terrorizing on the player end (the taser cop get's your attention). I hadn't even considered what you pointed out- I didn't correlate the gameplay with real life but I can see the point.

It is very much like L4D, without the Zombies and co-op only.

R
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:25:20 AM »

Yeah, it is indeed very much fighting off or through wave-based cop attacks, but I agree that it doesn't feel "wrong" to me.  There isn't much real stealth at all, although some of the maps do have you trying to find a target (like the bank manager) and avoid guards before you pull out your guns to start the heist.

I'm not a huge zombie fan so I didn't play enough L4D to make a fair comparison, but the levels have several different objectives, generally last quite a while and some are pretty lengthy in both distance and number of enemies to take out.

I tried a few single player missions and while it was interesting, it was nowhere near as fun as when I played multiplayer.  It is neat how even if you go down for good and get captured, your teammates can take hostages to ransom you back into the game.  And of course the AI could never be as competent and reactive as real players.

Since I am a fan of heist movies in general, and Heat in particular, this is definitely a must-play.  Very intense and fun cooperative heist takedowns.  It really makes you feel like the guys from Heat, trying to complete a botched job at all costs.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »

Looks like Overkill has just released a huge update with a bunch of changes and additions.  Patch notes in the spoiler, but they include advanced graphics settings, better team and enemy AI, improved animations, some Christmas presents and more:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Thanks to all you players who have robbed countless banks, snuck off with thousands of diamonds and scooped up gold bars by the tonnes!
OVERKILL Software has monitored you closely through the security cameras and here are our counter measures:

PAYDAY Xmas achievement!
Find a Christmas present on any of the levels in multiplayer - take it and you will be given a Santa mask! Plus you will get the chance to be surprised later on...

Big features
Player drop-in ability in load-out and in-game!
You can now join an ongoing game! You will no longer be locked out of games just because they have already started or because you dropped out during play. Just rejoin and continue collecting those precious dollars and gems!
These are the rules: Players who are downed or in custody and drop out only to rejoin the same game will respawn in custody. Drop-in is disabled during the "point of no return" phase of the heist, as well as on the end screen.

Heavily improved fighting and acting by team AI and enemies
New features and fixes include:
•   New events and enemy tactics on all levels
•   Team and enemies now pick better cover and firing positions, and use more intelligent firing lanes for suppression and sniping
•   Enemies now master additional acrobatic moves (such as dashes and slides) and they can fire at you while doing them!
•   More cover moves for team AI and enemies
•   Enemy AI move in tighter formations and coordinate better
•   Team AI now keeps up with human players much better
•   Smoother turn and aim on team AI, and reduced animation glitches on movements
•   Better looking weapon recoils on team and enemies
•   AI teammates now pick weapons that better suit the current combat situation
•   Combat will now be more mid ranged and not run-in gun battles
•   Team AI no longer has "ants in the pants" (they don't move around so much) when there are no enemies around

Advanced GFX settings menu (AG menu)
Custom visual settings and optimizations, including:
•   Texture resolution setting "low" to "high"
•   Texture filtering "off" and up to x16
•   V-synch on/off
•   AA on/off
•   Light streaks on/off
•   Animation level-of-detail setting for better performance
•   More suitable default resolutions to fit laptops etc.
•   AlienwareFX on/off (for Alienware computers)
•   Added eight color grade filters (inspired by a range of heist and action movies)
"Payday +"
"Dinero"
"In Traffic"
"Bastard"
"BHD"
"Xgen Brown"
"Future of Gaming"
"The Matrices"

New masks
To celebrate that yet another bunch of military shooters was released recently, we've added four new masks to Payday!

Improved network code
Disclaimer: We did not fix the Internet. Please talk to Al Gore about that.

We've added a red toothbrush to Panic Room, and we've made sure this one's worth the hullabaloo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1HShMInUs&feature=youtu.be

Additional features and fixes
Slaughterhouse and Diamond Heist are now available in the Normal difficulty setting
Single Player has improved scenario and difficulty balancing
Added more money bundles to First World Bank
The legendary όber killer sniper removed from Heat Street
Teammate "mugshot" icons (lower left corner of the screen) now flash to indicate who is talking over VOIP
You can now see the cash value of the "near completion challenges" in the TAB menu
Fix to better hear team AI voices
Fixes for random crashes
Fixed the drill that kept resetting to full time for some people
Fixes for fake lobby appearing
Changed [Enter] to $Continue; to fix binding of enter to block the final stats screen.
More camera impacts on explosions
All weapons now have alert ranges, unique for each weapon
Chains is no longer replaced by Wolf on rare trade occasions
Bain will now correctly call the equipment "saws" (not "drills") in Panic Room

Now have fun, fellow heisters! DLC is of course in the works, as well as Patch 4! :-)
/The OVERKILL Crew and Sony Online Entertainment

This was probably my favorite patch note
Improved network code
Disclaimer: We did not fix the Internet. Please talk to Al Gore about that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »

for those of you curious about the game, it's free to play until 1pm PST Sunday on Steam.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:17:12 AM »

new update:

Key features of the new game update include:

Masks of Disguise: Presidential masks are now available to those players that have reached level 145. Players can grab a Golden mask when all heists are completed on OVERKILL 145+. BEEEF masks have also been added to the game, and can be picked up in the lobby.

OVERKILL 145+: Players that have reached level 145 can now play on a new difficulty called OVERKILL 145+, which opens up the possibility for new events and achievements. It also unlocks new weapons, such as the crowbar to open doors, as well as leaderboards.

Drop-In: With the added in-game drop-in ability, players can set the server to allow for others to join the game mid-heist. Players can also filter players by setting server reputation and difficulty requirements.

SWAT Tactics: The SWAT captain has trained a slew of new recruits, resulting in challenging new tactics and counter measures for players to face on each of the heists.

Sweet Moves: Players can check out new weapon animations for the Shotgun. Law enforcers now move more tactically than ever before. Even civilians have new dance animations in the DIAMOND HEIST.

Portrait Window Additions: Players can now see the name of the character they are currently playing in the portrait window while in game.

Compare Worldwide: PC Players can now view statistics on how many players in the world have completed the different heists on all difficulties through the "SELECT HEIST" menu.

Expanding Field of View (FoV): PC Players can now choose what FoV they want to use ranging from 60 to 100 through the advanced graphics menu.

DIAMOND HEIST Music: For PC players, as a token of appreciation to the community, 200 of the most dedicated career criminals' nicknames have been immortalized in-game. The DJ has added a new music track, doing shout-outs to 200 players in the community.

This game update is available for download at no additional cost on STEAM

I really need to finally install this bad boy.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »

Left 4 Dead crossover coming.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 05:45:57 AM »

I can't say I'm excited by the prospect of zombies in Payday, because honestly that's just L4D, but hopefully this means some quality collaboration with Valve.  And a bigger audience for Payday, which is awesome. 

BTW, you can buy a 4-pack of this on that Amazon sale for $15, or $5 for a single.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:50:43 AM »

Payday: No Mercy.

Have you ever wondered how the Left 4 Dead series began? It started with a heist.

Because I can,
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 04:42:31 AM »

I've got an extra code if anyone wants the base game for free.  PM me.

Edit: and it's gone.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:40:12 PM by Hrothgar » Logged

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: