http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patapon for the PSP looks awesome - demo impressions!  (Read 3774 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2007, 05:05:37 PM »

From the creators of LocoRoco comes Patapon for the PSP.  Looks like a lot of fun.  Basically, you command an army of eye-looking dudes - you're a flag carrier dude in this army.  The face buttons on the PSP acts as four different "beats" - showcased in this trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wodbiCT2JBI

Different beat patterns make your dudes do different things.

It looks like a lot O fun.  Here's a preview:  http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7868&Itemid=51

It almost looks like a side-scrolling RTS of sorts (as seen during the video - the Headquarters part...).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:24:43 PM by depward » Logged

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:08:41 PM »

Absolutely hilarious seeing those little things saying 'OMG...'.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 06:23:38 PM »

The PSP is finally hitting it's stride.  This game is looking like awesome fun

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »

Nice!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:34:39 PM »

Whoa thats crazy looking man.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 02:11:04 AM »

Go do yourselves a favor and watch a video with sound, it's a really fun sounding game.  There's 4 beats corresponding to the buttons on the PSP, Pata, Pon, and two others that I forget.  A combination of 4 beats is a command, and more commands open up later in the game.

I like this rhythm game because it's not one where you just have to match the notes falling down the screen.

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 02:45:23 AM »

I must say ... I'm intrigued.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:18:19 PM »

According to Worthplaying, it's coming to the US in February.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:34:34 PM »

There's also some nice information posted on the official playstation blog - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/12/11/things-that-go-pon-in-the-night/

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »

UK Pocket Gamer has some extensive hands-on impressions of this:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Patapon/news.asp?c=5290
There are some additional elements that we haven't touched upon - unit creation, mini-games, collecting rare items - that should further broaden Patapon's appeal.

What matters though, is that Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has once again created a remarkably unique game. The core gameplay seems brilliant - it ought to prove easy enough for anyone to play - and yet also seems to possess plenty of depth with its tactical twists.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 06:19:21 AM »

Even better news:

It's going to retail for $20.

Now there's no reason a PSP owner should pass Patapon up.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »

I do not understand this game.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »

Read the Pocket Gamer link. It explains it about as thoroughly as anything (the game won't make any sense from watching the trailer).
The game exalts you as the almighty god of the Patapon tribe - adorable one-eyed creatures who have been driven from their ancestral land by the evil Zigotons. Marching to the beat of their god's drum, the little warriors embark on a war to retake their old home. Skirmishes between the cutesy Patapons and their Zigoton nemeses come to life in gorgeous 2D side-scrolling scenes brimming with colour and style.

You control your army of Patapon warriors via beats tapped out on the PSP's face buttons. Each of the buttons correspond to a musical sound: square sounds off 'pata,' circle 'pon,' triangle equals 'chaka,' and X is 'don.' Issuing a command requires hitting a specific four-beat combination. Moving, for example, is done by tapping square-square-square-circle ('pata-pata-pata-pon'). Ordering an attack takes circle-circle-square-circle ('pon-pon-pata-pon').

Just pressing buttons hurriedly won't have any effect though since these tribal warriors need rhythm to act. A thin white border encompassing the screen pulses to the beat, giving you a visual indication of when to press buttons. Of course, the percussive music in the background helps too. Hit the buttons in sync with this in-game metronome and your warriors will respond.

Before giving the next command, however, you'll need to pause. Skillfully timing your button presses and waiting through the pauses will accumulate a combo. But if you miss a beat or play through a measure of rest, the combo resets. You'll need to build up a combo to 10 to get your Patapons into fever mode. This sees them moving faster and attacking with more power. Naturally, this make it easier when confronting hordes of enemies or some of the massive bosses.

Before heading into battle, you need to outfit your warriors and form them up into three squads. Each squad consists of different units with specific abilities. Yaripon spear-throwers make up your initial fighting force, while the up-close-and-personal Tatepon melee attackers join you after a couple stages. Later on, Yumipon archers made up a third squad.
Since I found Elite Beat Agents exasperating (the game was unforgiving, and I couldn't replicate the proper rhthyms no matter how hard I tried), I can't guarantee this'll be my cup of tea even if I'm intrigued.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 03, 2008, 06:19:21 AM

Even better news:

That's awesome.  VERY cool.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 04:35:15 PM »

Quote from: depward on January 03, 2008, 04:26:46 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 03, 2008, 06:19:21 AM

Even better news:

That's awesome.  VERY cool.

That is great, because I probably would have waited until it hit that price anyway.  I'm much more willing to take a chance on a $20 game than a $40 one.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »

Playstation store download hopefully?

gellar
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 03, 2008, 05:28:50 PM

gellar

That'd be cool. I'd like to try this, but not willing to get a PSP to do so.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 01:54:34 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 03, 2008, 05:28:50 PM

gellar

Yeah that might actually get me to try it.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »

I'm still mystified how Eurogamer reviews things well before release, but they've already reviews Patapon (8/10):
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=90341
The way it works is that you issue commands to your army of tribesmen by tapping out simple, predefined rhythms using the PSP's face buttons.

Different rhythms make them perform different tasks as they advance across a horizontal, side-scrolling battlefield.

The game is broken up across some 30 different missions, with the early stages introducing each new rhythm gradually. Starting off with just one type of drum, within a short while you and your tribesmen will discover new drums for each face button, allowing you to tap out new rhythms that correspond to new commands, such as advance, attack, defend and so on.

Stringing together combinations of these commands triggers Fever mode, which, for as long as you can maintain it, spurs your little chaps on to ever greater feats of valour.
It's apparently a complicated, challenging game with lots of micro-management. If that doesn't send you screaming in terror, then you may find it charming, it seems.  ninja2

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 09, 2008, 02:37:48 PM

I'm still mystified how Eurogamer reviews things well before release, but they've already reviews Patapon (8/10):
The way it works is that you issue commands to your army of tribesmen by tapping out simple, predefined rhythms using the PSP's face buttons.

Different rhythms make them perform different tasks as they advance across a horizontal, side-scrolling battlefield.

The game is broken up across some 30 different missions, with the early stages introducing each new rhythm gradually. Starting off with just one type of drum, within a short while you and your tribesmen will discover new drums for each face button, allowing you to tap out new rhythms that correspond to new commands, such as advance, attack, defend and so on.

Stringing together combinations of these commands triggers Fever mode, which, for as long as you can maintain it, spurs your little chaps on to ever greater feats of valour.
It's apparently a complicated, challenging game with lots of micro-management. If that doesn't send you screaming in terror, then you may find it charming, it seems.  ninja2

Um, review copies? Euro edition coming early? It's not really that complicated.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 09, 2008, 02:46:19 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on January 09, 2008, 02:37:48 PM

Um, review copies? Euro edition coming early? It's not really that complicated.

It's already released in Japan. As usual. frown
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 04:31:09 PM »

Picked up the demo from Gamestop yesterday -

Hol-y crap.  What a fun game!  It's a rhythm side-scrolling RTS!  It's nuts but I loves it!  Graphics are spot on, there's strategy involved, and it's just kinda cool having every patapon worship you, say things like, "Oh mighty Xian!" and stuff (You're the Mighty Patapon...).  Do your little drum beat "pata-pata-pata-pon", which is the one you'll be doing a lot of (moving forward), watch them move forward.  Next four drum beats, command them... then watch them do their thing the next four.

Very fun!  Truly awesome price @ $20 when it comes out..

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »

I also picked up the demo. Got it when I plunked down my $5 for a pre-order. The demo rocks! It only lets you play with three drum patterns, the last of which doesn't appear till the last stage in the demo. But still, it is quite addicting to make the drum patterns and watch the little guys respond to my commands.

The sounds they make and the drumming beat as they march or fight brings me back to the old Shogun:Total War game, when the Japanese troops would march along to the beat of a drum and shout "hoi!" in response to your commands. I'm guessing thats also the origin of their naming convention for the units, ex. yari is the japanese word for spear, yumi for bow, hata for flag.

I can see how multiple drum patterns would be a challenge in the heat of battle, especially if one wants to sustain the "fever" level - which is obtained by doing several successful drum beats in a row.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 04:57:18 PM by raydude » Logged

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 10:26:22 PM »

We posted up a few videos yesterday that might interest you guys.  Check it out:  http://gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=11176

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »

I think the demo is available on PSN for everybody starting today.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:10 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 14, 2008, 11:41:37 PM

I think the demo is available on PSN for everybody starting today.

Indeed it is and today's content is already up...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 12:04:22 AM »

the combination of me sucking at rythmn games & my hands being a bit too big for the psp is making playing this a little tricky, but it's indeed a cool game, very pretty & funny, & not quite like anything else, for sure smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »

Ha that was awesome!  At first I had absolutely no idea what I was doing-there aren't really any visual cues or anything.  But once you get the hang of it it's really fun.  I'm going to look like a complete idiot on the train swinging my PSP around trying to get into the rythym!  If this is available for purchase on the PSP store then I'm definitely picking it up.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »

This game is so awesome! I think I might just go out and pick up the Japanese version.  I just cant get PATA PATA PATA PON! out of my head!  Is there only PATA and PON? Or do they use the triangle and X buttons as well?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

Later on there's a total of 3 beats.  Word is that the third mission has the third beat in it towards the end.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 04:42:53 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 15, 2008, 02:56:05 PM

Later on there's a total of 3 beats.  Word is that the third mission has the third beat in it towards the end.

Indeed the triangle button is the "Chaka".  Chaka-chaka-pata-pon is a defensive beat.  I used it and found eh, I wasn't sure it was working very well against the "boss" of the demo.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 05:27:02 AM »

I just cant figure out how to keep the fever going. I can get to it easily enough but as soon as it starts it ends.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 05:37:29 AM »

God dammit.  When the hell do you start the rhythm after the Fever pops up? I can never get the timing right.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 05:55:33 AM »

Wooo I kept the fever goin for a LONG time that time!! Hopefully it's one of those things that once you can do it once it just becomes ingrained.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 05:59:58 AM »

Nope frown
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 10:03:29 AM »

Wow I kept the fever going for almost the entire time the last mission! That was awesome! Just a matter of finding the rhythm.  I'm also a little bit confused as to how or when to use the defensive rhythm.  I went through the last mission without even using it.  I heard that when you beat the demo, you can use your save game to unlock a weapon in the actual game that you wouldn't ordinarily be able to get!  That's pretty cool! I was going to go out and get the Japanese version but was extremely disappointed to find that it retails for 4500 yen instead of 20 bucks like the NA version is going to!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »

I'm talking to myself here, but what the hell!

IGN gives it a 9.2

Patapon, which is not only one of the best rhythm games ever released, it's also one of the best titles for the PSP.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »

Do I need a PS3 to download the demo?  I'm kind of new to the PSP and I'd like to try this out.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on February 17, 2008, 02:38:05 PM

Do I need a PS3 to download the demo?  I'm kind of new to the PSP and I'd like to try this out.

Nope:

http://store.playstation.com/store/product.vm?id=UP9000-UCUS98721_00-PATAPONPSNDEMO08

gellar
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »

Thanks gellar.  So, I've never downloaded a demo for my PSP before.  How do I, you know, get it on the PSP?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: