http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:00:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Mario-The thousand year door!  (Read 2213 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2005, 08:14:28 PM »

I just grabbed this finally. What a great game so far. If you like M&L superstar saga for gba and the original paper mario I`d think you`d love this one. I know I`m a little late to the party on this one, but wow. I played only a few hours so far and the whole thing is tons of fun so far. The graphics are great(especially in progressive scan), and the audio is just as good. The gameplay seems to be lots of fun, and the whole world just seems "right". I`m floored by this so far, I simply couldn`t be more happy about picking this one up.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 08:38:17 PM »

Yup. Paper Mario 2 is second only to Pop: Sands of Time as my favorite game of this console generation. Enjoy it!
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 08:45:26 PM »

I heard it`s REALLY long. About how long would you say?
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 08:48:29 PM »

It took me 49 hours to complete and I didn't do some things, like the 100 Level dungeon. Also, once you finish the game, new side quests open up as well.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:31:08 PM »

Yeah, it also took me about 49 hours and it was one of my favorite games of last year.  Although there is some slight repitition through some running around later, each chapter is remarkably unique.  Its definitely not 50 hours of filler.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 01:02:37 AM »

between paper mario 2 & the ratchet & clank trilogy, i spent the past winter playing as funny a bunch of video games at one stretch as maybe possible?...

it's a treat - one of those rare games where it's almost impossible for someone to describe it's magic to you if you haven't played it, but, as soon as you do begin to play, there it is...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 08:06:28 AM »

I just put some more time into it. This game is sweet!!! Very enjoyable experience so far, and very hard to put down!

Spoilers!!!

I just got those stone keys and wow this game is really seeming to take off now. I also just got a 3rd party member. I`ve heard some people say this game starts slow and gets only better and better. If this is slow, and I like it this much...I`m really going to be spending some time this one Tongue .
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 06:36:52 PM »

Good right up until the end when you're sent on the "find these random bomb-ombs scattered all over the world" quest.  I pretty much just quit at that point.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 07:48:09 PM »

I heard it gets hard toward the end. I`m sure I`ll be a trooper and get through it though :wink: . I seriously can`t wait `till I can sit down and play this tonight. It is THAT good so far IMHO.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 09:05:50 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I heard it gets hard toward the end.

as far as the fetch quest, not so much 'hard' as just plain irritating, & glaringly (considering the rest of the game) unimaginative...

but that's way down the road - enjoy!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 09:35:24 PM »

Kinda reminds me of the WW toward the end of the game :wink:. I`m sure I`ll push through it though, I`m going to HAVE to finish this game!
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 05:50:46 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
Quote from: "Harpua3"
I heard it gets hard toward the end.

as far as the fetch quest, not so much 'hard' as just plain irritating, & glaringly (considering the rest of the game) unimaginative...

but that's way down the road - enjoy!...

I highly recommend just using a walkthru for that quest.  I would never have finished the game otherwise.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 08:55:11 PM »

I`ll do if need be. This game so far, is just super-enjoyable!!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 09:14:50 PM »

Thankfully, the 'fetch' quest is just small part of the game that you can blow thru in 10 minutes if you use a walkthru (I got frustrated and went the walkthru route).

As far as difficulty level goes, the game's difficulty level ramps up pretty linearly up until the very last battle - which is very tough when compared to everything else in the game.  The only other part that was overly difficult was the 100 challenges, which I still have yet to complete frown

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 09:25:10 PM »

Isn`t that 100 challenges things optional? I`d like to find a printable guide for this game. But no luck so far.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 12:12:35 AM »

Yes, the Pit of 100 Trials is optional.  It's even recommended that you finish the game first before trying the harder levels.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 09:41:38 AM »

Ah. It seems like there`s ALOT to this game.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »

Got this last night.  Woohoo. smile  It is fun... and not bad looking.  My first wow moment would be when I activated the bridge in Petal Woods.  That was too cool.  My wife laughed out loud when I got 'cursed'.  I'm looking forward to finishing this one.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 07:50:23 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
Got this last night.  Woohoo. smile  It is fun... and not bad looking.  My first wow moment would be when I activated the bridge in Petal Woods.  That was too cool.  My wife laughed out loud when I got 'cursed'.  I'm looking forward to finishing this one.

I agree 100% w/ you on ALL of that :wink: . That bridge was pretty cool, same w/ the "curse". Everyday it seems I`m looking forward to playing this more and more.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 08:37:50 PM »

Wow, this game really takes off once you get down the road a bit, so to speak.

Spoilers(maybe)...

Once I finished the first chapter this game really takes off. I like how you control the princess and other characters. It`s almost like a interactive cut-scene, where you control other characters but only to advance the story. I loved everything up to this point so far, BUT wow...it really seems to go places after the first chapter. Great game so far!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 09:17:57 PM »

One of the best parts of Paper Mario 2 was how each chapter is so much different than the previous, yet each one rocks so hard (I didn't even mind the battle arena portions).  I seriously can't remember playing a game that made me grin from ear to ear so much.

Chapter 3 was probably my favorite, as it starts out pretty conventional and then throws you a pretty big twist.  Chapter 2 was really good too....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2005, 10:15:39 PM »

I absolutely LOVE the humor in this game. They make jokes about themselves and the game left and right. Funny stuff. If my wife and I weren`t in the middle of playing other stuff, I`d play this with her alongside my ongoing game. She`d love it, it`s just so entertaining as a whole. I`d really recommend this to anyone who does/or doesn`t normally like turn-based games. I`m really picky w/ my selection of turn-based games.

Kotor, I tried TWICE to get into...I didn`t like it.
 Mario and Luigi:superstar saga...I loved it, and still am. I`m not done w/
 it yet!
 Final fantasy tactics for gba I LOVE!
 Advanced wars 2, I liked quite a bit too.

I guess this PM2 is the first non-handheld turnbased game I`ve enjoyed in years! It is simply a GREAT game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: