http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 02:24:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Mario review up at Gamespot  (Read 2897 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 11:42:59 PM »

They like it.

This game can't show up here fast enough.  I guess I'll have to finally push thru Mario & Luigi tonight in preperation...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 12:04:05 AM »

Excellent  Can't wait for this one.  Now to fit it in among all the other great games ... R:TW, Baiten Katos soon, HL2 soon...

Grinfin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 12:17:50 AM »

This might be my first GC purchase since.... I can't remember.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 12:59:28 AM »

IN!!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 01:18:40 AM »

Can't wait for this one.
Al
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 01:51:52 AM »

Anyone read the Game Informer review? According to GameRankings it got 6.75 out of 10 from them.

Random Bookmark: something positive
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 02:31:27 AM »

Yeah I saw that too, however I personally feel that GI has never been too reliable for anything other than pretty pictures..

On top of that, in their forums Jeremy, one of the reviewers explicitly stated that GI docks games on the score if they don't feel like it will be a mainstream game. In otherwords if they feel more people will dislike the game than like it, they'll lower the score, regardless of whether the reviewers absolutley loved it. He even cited examples. Pretty effed up and essentially kills any kind of credibility they may have had.

http://forums.gameinformer.com/gi/board/message?board.id=ask_gi&message.id=40825&view=by_date_ascending&page =4

Hopefully that link will help. Check out page 4 I think. GI-Jeremey really makes a poor post there.

Also IGn Gave Paper Mario a 9.1... methinks that GI is wrong...

Well it looks like Gi just realized how stupid they are killed that thread... however I have the post copied...
GI-Jeremy wrote:

Lisa and I both knew that our Paper Mario scores were going to cause controversy. Yes, we know that many people out there will love it. We also know that it is a well-made game. However, it also WILL NOT appeal to many people - I would safely say that more people will dislike it than like it. Why? Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

FOr example, I really like the bizarre frog golf game Ribbit King, and I gave it a 7, because it's just not for everyone. Paper Mario 2 also scored low because it's just not for everyone. If you think it's a 10 in your book, it's a ten in your book, and that doesn't change if we disagree. We're here to guide you on what games to pick up, but ultimately your personal opinion is what will make you buy a game or not.

I hope this helps.

Yeah....

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 02:44:39 AM »

I gotta agree with Tebunker here. I like Game Informer enough to continue my free GameStop subscription after it expires, but I just can't take their reviews seriously at all. Their average review score seems to be about an 8, and there's a lot of times when the review text is totally incongrous with the score the score they give a game. I love the previews and production values in the magazine, but I read their reviews for entertainment only.

As for Paper Mario, woo hoo! Glad to see that it's getting good reviews (outside of GI).  I think Intelligent Systems is a fantastic development house, and if this one is as good as GameSpot says it is I'll be a happy gamer.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 02:47:51 AM »

Don't you love when reviewers don't bother telling you what they thought of a game, but instead read your mind and tell you whether or not you like it.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 03:00:19 PM »

I just read the review - wow!  Now I have another game to buy!!! Crap.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 06:54:32 PM »

This probably isn't uncommon.  The last time I read PC Gamer, they even stated in their score explanation that "niche" games wouldn't score over 90% no matter how good they were.  This is very stupid, though.  Even a cursory glance at a game like Paper Mario is enough to tell you that it's not going to be some sort of dark, adult-oriented game.  It should be easy to tell from the review if it's a kind of game you would be personally interested in.  There's no need for that to be reflected in the score.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 09:37:25 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
This probably isn't uncommon.  The last time I read PC Gamer, they even stated in their score explanation that "niche" games wouldn't score over 90% no matter how good they were.  This is very stupid, though.  Even a cursory glance at a game like Paper Mario is enough to tell you that it's not going to be some sort of dark, adult-oriented game.  It should be easy to tell from the review if it's a kind of game you would be personally interested in.  There's no need for that to be reflected in the score.

It also seems to me that it ignores a games merits in favor what's popular.   So only the Brittney Spears of games is great....but as we all know great music isn't defined by being popular....nor are great games.  

It also seems like they then must just sway in the wind.  Back when Fallout came out the RPG genre on PCs was in a big slump.  So GI would have had to say the game wasn't great....however now RPGs are quite popular so GI would have to say it is great....same game but the reviews would have to change based on when they came out.

I don't think I like that kind of reviewing.  I guess the folks at GI can go buy Christina Agularia's new album, and curl up to play whatever game is selling best right now but I want a bit more from my reviews.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 09:48:06 PM »

Does look good, I just don't think I have time to sit down and play an RPG any more.  frown
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 10:51:04 PM »

Mini first impression: If you liked the first one, you'll like this one.  It's a sequel plain and simple, same gameplay with some new goodies added on.  Nearing the end of Chapter 1, and having plenty-o-fun so far. :)
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:32:01 PM »

Bah, no one anywhere near me has this in stock yet. :evil:

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 05:12:48 AM »

Crap. I shouldn't have read that Gamespot review. My stash is already overflowing with unfinished RPGs... And yet, this game looks REALLY interesting.

I NEED MORE TIME!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 07:14:43 AM »

Alas, I am weak.  With all the RPGs coming out, I was going to limit myself to the more obscure ones, and buy the bigger ones down the road.  Needless to say, I'm now playing the game and loving it slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 02:07:45 PM »

Played the demo at EB last night (they had plenty in stock btw) and I thought it was neat. All I did was wander around a town for a few minutes, but I really lked the quirky graphical style. (I never played the first one.)

Thankfully, I was able to resist. I am not allowing myself to buy and cube games until I finish (the seemingly endless) Skies or Arcadia Legends. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 05:10:15 PM »

Ok, I was able to get my hands on a copy yesterday.  After 8 or so hours of play I must say this game is hilarious!  And fun, and has plenty of character.  I'm very impressed so far.

Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 03:22:50 PM »

I'm new here at CG so maybe this has already been covered somewhere..

Does CG cover Gamecube games in their reviews anymore ? I didn't do an exhaustive search but I didn't notice any reviews of recent games.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2004, 05:22:04 PM »

Pretty high marks... really hit a homer run on the humor it sounds like...  Wouldn't mind checkin this out for myself... thanx for the heads-up.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2004, 06:29:41 PM »

I finally got to put in a couple of hours last night.  It is very reminiscent of Mario & Luigi RPG, which is a good thing.  The dialogue is great, with a lot of the same types of humor as the previous game (although so far I've found Mario & Luigi's to be a little bit more clever).

The game mechanics are very fun, and combat has yet to become dull.  The sprites are extremely sharp, and while the paper look holds up most of the backgrounds are unfortunately pretty static.  The music is great too!

Looks like another quirky little winner for BigN & Co.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: