http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:24:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paging Purge!!  (Read 1068 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:35:22 PM »

I remember that in another thread you'd said that you were getting the keyboard/mouse adapter for your x-box. Have you had a chance to try it out yet? Wanna give a review?  Tongue

With Halo 2 on the horizon I am very interested in hearing if this thing works as advertised.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:28:17 PM »

still waiting. It's on backorder at Lik-Sang.

I'll post a thread when I get it! smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 11:54:51 PM »

doesnt the xbox have a USB port?  Wont any usb keyboard work?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 12:03:41 AM »

My understanding was that USB keyboards only worked if you had a modded xbox, and even then they don't work in games.

This adapter lets you use a keyboard/mouse combo, and the key layout is supposedly mappable so you could play Halo or other xbox fps games just like you would on your PC.

If the preview video is an actual indication, it doesn't work as well as some are expecting. On the other hand, the video just could have been out of sync. I'm hoping it's a turd of a product personally.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 02:07:18 AM »

I'm hoping it works great since I'm utterly unable to play an FPS on x-box with existing controllers.  I wanna see what all of the fuss is about with Halo 2 but the thought of using an z-box controller for it is enough to cause me to skip it frown

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 06:15:38 AM »

I would just rather not get on Live only to get utterly destroyed by people using what I would consider is definitely a more accurate control method. One of the great things to me about Live is that it's a level playing field. No worries.

This topples it. I'm not going to say it ruins anything, because it doesn't. And it's possible that all the people that are really great with the kb/mouse combo will be so high on the skill rating that they'll never get to play against anybody but each other anyway. So in the end it may all work out just fine even if the thing does work..

I just don't personally see all that quite happening.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 01:01:18 AM »

I don't have mine yet, however IGN got their hands on it.

The SmartJoy FRAG is somewhat of a hard unit to review and give an overall score to. On the one hand, it's built well and has some smart and easy configuration features. On the other hand, how well it works control-wise is almost entirely dependent upon the game you're playing.

The way we figure it is that if you own more than one first-person shooter on either PS2 or Xbox, you'd do yourself well by picking one up. It works great with some of the best software on either system, especially Halo (and presumably its sequel) on Xbox. And you gamers out there looking forward to Killzone should pick up the PS2 version as it'll do you well in your killing of zones.

9 for value. 8.5 overall.

Linky-linky

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 02:11:06 AM »

Cool smile

Seems that it works for Halo and (presumably) Halo 2 which means I just might get to play these after all! biggrin

flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 05:49:19 AM »

You should understand... this kb/mouse setup emulates a kb/mouse, by having your mouse movements translate into joystick moves that the xbox interprets.

This means that, number one, it's going to behave fairly sluggishly... also, it won't make anyone turn around any faster than they would if they were using a controller.

Think of this as playing Quake3 with mouse sensitivity really low, and mouse acceleration on. Personally, as a kb/mouse lover, I'd never touch this thing... sounds more frustrating than even using a controller.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 04:29:24 AM »

Quote from: "flyinj"
Think of this as playing Quake3 with mouse sensitivity really low, and mouse acceleration on. Personally, as a kb/mouse lover, I'd never touch this thing... sounds more frustrating than even using a controller.

You can't say yuck until you try some of this delicious broccoli. Now eat up. Tongue

Actually, mine was shipped from HK on friday, so I expect it heartbeats before Halo2 is in my hands. As to the accelleration thing, have you tried playing Halo 1 with the vert and horiz acceleration cranked? the response time is pretty quick... but then you lose precision... that's what this is supposed to fix. It's not like I'm installing a 3000dpi Razor Boomslang and somehow magically having an unreal response.

Simply put, it's an alternative. I've heard (far too often) from die-hard PC gamers that the downfall of consoles is controls. Now lets just see if that is the case. IF the performance grade (IE response time, accelleration) is the same, will the mouse/kbd be better or worse? I enjoy my controllerS, but I'd like to see the other side of the fence (on an Xbox).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: