http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OXM Sudeki Demo  (Read 2959 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2004, 11:12:28 PM »

This is my type of RPG!! Kind of a cross between KOTOR and Dynasty Warriors with some PoP-ish puzzling going on.

After about 10 minutes I'm liking it!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 06:49:51 AM »

I'm too tired to post in depth impressions right now, but I've played the demo a couple of times and I'm impressed enough to buy the game when it is released. First off, the graphics are really nice. The demo level itself is somewhat bland, but there is a slide show that plays at the end of the demo that shows some really incredible environments with colorful landscapes and spectacular vistas.

Gameplay was a little derivative. The combat engine doesn't try to do anything original but is a lot of fun. Melee combat provides the option of performing combos by timing button presses to a meter at the bottom of the screen or performing special moves which affect multiple enemies in a clearly defined radius. The game slows down to bullet time when you bring a menu, which is a nice touch. The second playable character uses ranged attacks, so the game puts you in a first-person viewpoint when you select the character. As most of the character's ranged attacks affected multiple enemies, precise aiming with a gamepad really isn't an issue.

I didn't notice any slowdown in combat, which is one complaint that I've read in multiple previews. The only combat in the demo is with two of the four playable characters, so it'll be interesting to see if the framerate stutters when all four characters are on screen with multiple enemies.

Besides combat, the demo had a couple of crate puzzles (oh, joy :roll:) which were pretty simple. Voice acting is a little on the iffy side, with some of the characters having some really strange accents.  The demo didn't reveal too much of the story, but the story in the demo is pretty standard RPG story conventions. Noble savage must go kill boss character alone to save the character's honor, and stuff like that.

Well, I guess I wrote more than I intended. I was already leaning toward buying the game, and the demo has sealed the deal.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 04:57:37 PM »

Goodie - yet another RPG I have to buy...

The worst part? Tales of Symphonia (which is a must buy in my mind) comes out the week before...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 06:06:45 PM »

What else is on the demo disk?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 06:17:41 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
What else is on the demo disk?

Nothing much (I have my non-demo copy of the mag here, waiting for my demo version to come).  Freestyle Street Soccer, NBA Ballers and Wallace and Gromit in Project Zoo.  Exciting!

Video Showcases sound kinda cool though:

Behind the Scenes: Ghost Recon 2
Doom 3
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Fable
Forza Motorsport
Jade Empire
MechAssault II: Lone Wolf
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict

Outside of playing Sudeki I'll probably spend most of my time watching those.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 06:56:48 PM »

The Fable and Jade Empire demos are very impressive. Fable's especially.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 03:53:27 PM »

OK.  So, I just tried the Sudeki demo.

This is so much fun.  

Since Concole RPG's aren't really my thing, and I'm talking even remotely my thing here...

Do you guys know of any others that are already out for the xbox that are like this game?  Turn Based Combat is fine with me by the way.  I am more interested in all those cool powers and skill points and stuff like that.  

I am open to suggestions as well as education on this topic, as I seriously know almost nothing about console RPG's.  I think I played Final Fantasy III for about an hour back in the day, and this Sudeki demo.... that is pretty much my experience.   :oops:

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 04:39:05 PM »

Do you guys know of any others that are already out for the xbox that are like this game?  Turn Based Combat is fine with me by the way.  I am more interested in all those cool powers and skill points and stuff like that.  

Based on how the game is described (as I haven't played the demo), I'm guessing that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is exactly what you're looking for. It's technically Turn Based (although it doesn't look like it in action), and is one of the best RPGs ever made.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 03:15:11 AM »

Based on how the game is described (as I haven't played the demo), I'm guessing that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is exactly what you're looking for. It's technically Turn Based (although it doesn't look like it in action), and is one of the best RPGs ever made.

Of course there's also the fact that, other than Morrowind, KOTOR is the only other RPG on Xbox.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 05:25:06 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Of course there's also the fact that, other than Morrowind, KOTOR is the only other RPG on Xbox.

Well, there was Metal Dungeon.  However, it was pretty much universally panned by all reviewers.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 09:10:08 PM »

Heroes is kinda a RPG, there's also the Baulder's Gate action/Rpgs....

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 11:44:28 AM »

Well Destructor -

I started playing KotoR, but I ended up going with the PC version because of the graphics.   ...which sorta defeats my original question of finding a good RPG to play on the xbox....

Anyway, KotoR is different from Sudeki, and not exactly what I was "looking for" as far as games similar to Sudeki.

On a positive note however, I am now completely hooked on KotoR, and am wondering how in the world I avoided this game for so very long, considering it won like 600 Game of the Year Awards.

It is absolutely a tremendous game.... and I have only just begun.

This should occupy all my time until the release of ESPN Football 2k5  -  which is perfect!

Thanks.

LD

LD

phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 02:03:14 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

...if only... frown

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 07:16:38 PM »

From what I've seen, Sudeki bears the most resemblance to Summoner 2, which is only available for the PS2 and Gamecube.  It has lots of characters with unique skills and a similar action-oriented combat system.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 07:19:49 PM »

Quote from: "phormio"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

...if only... frown

:oops: Oops, I meant videos. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2004, 07:35:54 PM »

On a positive note however, I am now completely hooked on KotoR, and am wondering how in the world I avoided this game for so very long, considering it won like 600 Game of the Year Awards.

It is absolutely a tremendous game.... and I have only just begun.

This should occupy all my time until the release of ESPN Football 2k5  -  which is perfect!

And I have gotten yet another person addicted on a console/PC game thanks to my discussion. My work here is done.  :twisted:

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2004, 07:39:52 PM »

I enjoyed Sudeki from the demo, I just hope they have sped up the movements a bit from this demo by the time the game comes out.  It seems like it could be a good RPG and I can see the similarity with Summoner 2 as well as Kingdom Hearts, but it doesn't really go for either gameplay wholly.

I am intrigued, but I don't know if I'll buy the game when it comes out.  This might be a rent to see how I like it or something...or maybe we'll be provided with a review copy or soemthing.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 08:10:43 PM »

Considering how many RPGs are coming out in August/September, I think I'll save my dough and won't buy either this or Tales of Symphonia.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 08:25:52 PM »

I finished the demo last night and thought it was a lot of fun.  Graphics were nice and the auto center camera is a plus.  Gameplay and combat was smooth, but I thought it could use a target lock (unless I missed it).

I'm going to wait on some more reviews before picking it up, just because with NCAA, Tales of Symphonia and this, I have to decide on one that's worth of my $50.  It may boil down to whichever one goes on sale first.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2004, 04:35:50 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Well, there was Metal Dungeon.  However, it was pretty much universally panned by all reviewers.

could it be because it was basically a rough interface to a table-top dungeon crawl? The game mechanics are fine in the game, but when you move backwards and your char's animation shows you walking forward, it tends to put a 4.99 budget tag on the product.

Oh, and the opening movie was horrid. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: