http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 10:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over 30, 40... or, erm... 50? Read this now!  (Read 2006 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2005, 05:47:02 AM »

http://www.slate.com/id/2125300/?nav=tap3#ContinueArticle

What a great article - many of you have probby seen it already, and it's outdated some -  no mention of the XBox 360 - it's all about being over 30 and trying to play on XBox Live.

But it is oh, so, true...  :lol:

When we "older folks" play Ratchet Deadlocked "live" - we call the whiny, snot-nosed, "tweener" players - "squeekers"...

Read the whole article, it's great!   Cool   Well, except for the part where they call over-30's "Gray Beards" - yikes!  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:38:37 AM »

Damn, I need to find the link again, but I saw some hilarious video the other day.  Some guy recorded a match of some XBLive match.  You could hear one of their teammates arguing with his mommy!

The kid was swearing too, if that were my kid I would put him through a wall.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 06:50:28 AM »

I don't have my headset on during random pickup games for most of the reasons stated in that article, no way I need to listen to inane teenager (or younger) chatter.  Of course not all teens are like that and greybeards could also exhibit such behaivor so unless I know the person from somewhere else the headset remains off.  I was playing a friend in a private game of PD0 with his son playing split screen with him (kid is 10 yrs old) and even then the talk I could hear over my friends mike was hard to take and I think sonnyboy ended the night with a early bedtime  biggrin .
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:05:36 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Damn, I need to find the link again, but I saw some hilarious video the other day.  Some guy recorded a match of some XBLive match.  You could hear one of their teammates arguing with his mommy!

The kid was swearing too, if that were my kid I would put him through a wall.

"Mom, gimme my chocolate milk!"

Isn't it reassuring to know that Cartman has a real life counterpart, and he's active on Xbox Live?

Edit: link

And, as much as I'd love to (severely) punish that brat for his iniquities, isn't his behavior just a reflection of bad, possibly dismissive, parenting (not to mention a media culture that's constantly subverting the efforts of parents to raise their kids in a loving and cohesive family)?  When I think about this video, I can't help but conclude that these are the consequences of letting the television/Xbox babysit her kid.  Not strictly suggested by the video, but easily concluded from watching it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 12:37:55 PM »

Great article.  I am smack dab in the middle of the 30-something crowd.

And yes, I realize it everytime I log on.  Thank God for the GT Friends list.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 01:04:18 PM »

"Mom, gimme my chocolate milk!"

It precisely kids like this one that I Live play does little for me.  It only takes one, just one of these little worthless bastards to ruin the whole experience.  And I agree that mother arguing with him that long and counting down and so on and doing nothing is the kids whole problem.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 02:56:04 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"
And, as much as I'd love to (severely) punish that brat for his iniquities, isn't his behavior just a reflection of bad, possibly dismissive, parenting (not to mention a media culture that's constantly subverting the efforts of parents to raise their kids in a loving and cohesive family)?  When I think about this video, I can't help but conclude that these are the consequences of letting the television/Xbox babysit her kid.  Not strictly suggested by the video, but easily concluded from watching it.

Bad parenting? Never. Never blame the parents as far as raising a kid goes.

Blame the video games. They're always at fault.  :roll:  biggrin

What happened to the 'good old days' where the parents actually raised their kids?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 03:10:56 PM »

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to play any game on Live without being "entertained" by some 14 year old kid.

Microsoft has created something really special with Xbox Live and now it's even advanced even more with the Xbox 360.  The one thing that they need to do now is to create an age filter.  Have an over 30 section, a under 30 section, and maybe even a teen section.

I love Xbox Live and playing games with people with similar abilities, but that rarely happens as all too often I wind up playing a Tom Clancy game with some 12 year old, Mountain Dew infused, whiny little bastard.

It's not just us 40 somethings or 30 somethings that are sick of it.  A lot of these punks are ruining it for the good teenagers as well.  My 15 year old son won't even put the headset on anymore when he plays anything because for the most part, these idiots are an embarrassment to him and he doesn't even want to hear any of it.  It's really sad how many kids are allowed carte blanche in their home instead of having some adult supervision.  I know my Xbox and Xbox 360 are both within earshot of where I am most of the time and my kids are well aware that I won't stand for any disrespect or trashtalking when they play online.  Of course, I've also taken the time to actually raise my kids so they know better anyway.

Xbox Live is a two headed beast.  It's fun and exhiliarating at times, and downright frustrating and awful at others.  I know Microsoft is constantly trying to find ways to improve the service, but I wish their number one priority would be an age limit.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 04:21:34 PM »

Great article, and it describes the exact reasons why I have never enjoyed multiplayer gaming.  1)  I simply don't have the desire to put in the time to be remotely competitive at these games, which in turn means they aren't a lot of fun for me when/if I play online.  2)  Every time I've played on-line, it's been against some obnoxious 12-year-old either talking l33t or cursing like a sailor.  

I'll just stick to my single player games that I can play at my own pace, thanks.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 08:05:19 PM »

Yeah, the whiny kids with their all-encompassing "fag" insults and team-killing tendencies are bad, but I usually just shrug them off with a "kids will be kids" excuse. I'm far more put off by the older guy who wants to know if there are any "niggers" in the room. Microsoft created a great service with Live, but then seemed to decide that they had no responsibilty beyond a "game experience may change during online play" disclaimer. Negative feedback should be far more detailed and have greater consequences. I would love to be able to connect to an Xbox CSR via Live and report bad behavior while in-game.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 08:29:54 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
The one thing that they need to do now is to create an age filter.  Have an over 30 section, a under 30 section, and maybe even a teen section.

That's a good idea.  I'd like to see 21 be the middle and have rooms/games for people over and under that age.  I think that's sort of an age where gamers "grow up."

I really hate logging onto Live and being confronted with that sort of thing.  Microsoft really needs to do something about it, rather than just ignore it.  I swear, every game I play on Live, I run into a little punk who just spews the most racist garbage I've ever heard.  I mean, Counter-Strike's got the 1337 speak, but Live is far, far worse than things I've experienced on CS!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 08:59:33 PM »

This is why I only play with you guys!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 10:41:45 PM »

How would microsoft police this? Do you think this twelve year brat plays on his own credit card? Microsoft could require parental approval, but that would be less useful. Anyway, I think the XBox Live experience (something I'm just experiencing) is a reflection of your "friend" list. I have little desire to play outside that.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 11:01:43 PM »

Wow, listening to the whiny brat reminded me of why I won't use headsets or voice online.  Also, that kid needs the $hit knocked outta him!  Cmon mom, show him who's boss!

sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 06:23:20 PM »

This is why I hardly used--and ultimately cancelled--my Xbox live subscription. The level of idiocy on XBox live is pretty incredible. It's like someone took a bunch of idiots, blended them with more idiots to create a more potent sort of idiocy, and then added a bit more idiot for flavor.

Every once in a while I'd find myself with a group of laid back 30-something's (generally late at night), and it was like a religious experience for me ... but that was pretty rare.

The Gamer Zone's are a nice idea, but probably aren't going to help. I can't imagine that all of the griefers are going to go to the underground zone. What fun is that for them? Can anyone who has a 360 speak to their experiences in--for example, the recreation zone?

On a final note, if I ever heard my teenage son on XBox live talking like those idiots, that would be the last time he ever logged-on. Where are the parents at?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 01:10:02 AM »

Quote from: "sclick"
On a final note, if I ever heard my teenage son on XBox live talking like those idiots, that would be the last time he ever logged-on. Where are the parents at?

Apparently mom is getting the #$^&! chocolate milk! :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 08:29:48 AM »

I'm in the 30-something crowd as well and I seldom played on Live with the original XBox for most of the reasons stated in that article.  Amazingly, I have yet to encounter a non-stop profanity spewing kid.  With the release of the 360, I've decided to try and play online a bit more so that's why I've been making a little more of an effort to hook up with the GT crowd.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

Apparently mom is getting the #$^&! chocolate milk! :lol:

biggrin

Yeah, I wasn't specifically referring to that example (which I hope was staged), but just in general.
QWAYVE
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 06:40:35 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
http://www.slate.com/id/2125300/?nav=tap3#ContinueArticle

But it is oh, so, true...  :lol:

When we "older folks" play Ratchet Deadlocked "live" - we call the whiny, snot-nosed, "tweener" players - "squeekers"...

Read the whole article, it's great!   Cool   Well, except for the part where they call over-30's "Gray Beards" - yikes!  :roll:

Myto and I are members of the same Deadlocked Clan...in fact the kids have now created an alternate clan for just stupid game playing (putting aside the intense competition that the Sqweeks crave)

This is my first true online gaming experience so all the trash talking and obnoxious behaviour is new to me...I asked the guys if it existed everywhere and they all just laughed...duh...OK...
 I consider our guys a safe haven in the Deadlocked universe..they range in age from 15 -33  ( I think most of them are in their late teens and early 20's)  Myto and I are the only females, we both hate being called "girls" are both over 50...the guys know it..and still accept us...

It is one of the things that I love about the internet, being able to have good times and friendships with people you would normally bypass in actual reality.  

Our  clan forum is run by a very talented wunderkind...(I am sworn to secrecy regarding his true age... :shock: ) and am amazed everyday by what a great group of boys we are protected by.  In fact a link to the "chocolate" kid was posted on our forum and the boys reacted pretty much like all of you...Beat the little bastards ass....what is wrong with his mother?  They can and DO trash talk with the best of them...but only if someone tosses the trash first...they do not stand for verbal abuse of any kind..Myto hates kicking people out of our staging areas, but I have been in enough now to know who the trouble makers are and realize that kicking is a necessity to keep the playing experience "fun".  Sometimes the guys will let in a disguised Sqweek and I am the first one to start yelling at them to "SHUT UP YOU LITTLE MORON! "

Worse than the sqweeks are the racist older players...so how do you control that?  We once played a game with a guy who just kept crapping on about niggas during the entire game..our clan mates were very upset and tried to get him to shut up...by pummelling him relentlessly..until eventually he quit the game...

I enjoy my gaming with the boys and being accepted as one of them...but worry that it does not exist in any other games..so if Xbox comes up with something that can assure me a pleasant trash free gaming experience...I might finally give in to Myto's urging and get myself one....  :wink:  and apologies about the excruciatingly long post..but this has actually been on my mind for a while now....
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 05:53:51 PM »

Interloper:
Cmon mom, show him who's boss!
- I'm afraid that's exactly what she did, lol.

Qwayve:
Worse than the sqweeks are the racist older players...so how do you control that? We once played a game with a guy who just kept crapping on about niggas during the entire game..our clan mates were very upset and tried to get him to shut up...by pummelling him relentlessly..until eventually he quit the game...
Yeah, that particular match was absolutely horrid, but everyone ganging up on the racist was extremely satisfying!

The funny thing is, Deadlocked was also my first online experience, and I was surprised that it wasn't worse, after hearing all the horror stories.  Maybe XBox Live (pre-360?) is actually more prone to the kid/ jerks somehow?  Even most of the bad stuff I experienced was merely annoying, not usually offensive.

That leads to a funny story actually!  One night our usual gang was playing,  when a quiet staging area player turned into a Sqeek during the game - and especially in the post-game stats area.  Just annoying, childish singing and gibberish... but it was tiring.  I finally said something like "Oh, just go do your homework" - got it in just before the leader started another game.  When we all joined, so did the Squeek - he didn't know I'm a woman, because I sound like a young boy on the PS2 headsets.  The first thing he does is type in (the left half of the PS2 staging room is for keyboarding):  "Myto is my Ho" ... we all saw it at once, we were cracking up long enough for him to hear several seconds of derisive laughter.  I asked the game-creator where his "kick" button was now, and he said, "oh, he probably doesn't know..."  When I replied, "lol, too bad!" the Sqeek instantly disappeared.  Followed by more hysteria on our parts.  :lol:  Now that was fun!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: