http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 03:32:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outrun 2 [not fun]  (Read 1389 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2004, 03:04:39 PM »

Anyone else think Outrun 2 just can't stand up at all to Burnout 3, PGR 2, or any of the other racers out today?  

I played the original, and Outrun 2 does a good job recreating that same feel.  But that feel is outdated now, making Outrun 2 about as enjoyable as getting an enema (not that I would know).

Wake up.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm supposed to review the title but I'm also having a hard time with it.  Its hard to grab Outrun 2 when its in the box next to Burnout 3.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 03:25:12 PM »

Outrun who? Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 03:31:55 PM »

I doubt it can stand up to Burnout 3...however, I think this game was made for those of us that did put tons of quarters into Outrun in the 80s.  I think dropping the title to the $30 price point instead of the $40 price point would make it more enticing in my mind.  I will certainly rent this game though.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 06:04:46 PM »

I don't know, I think there's room for this game as well.  The demo only had one mode available.  I'm hoping the missions and the heart attack mode will add playability.  Also, I kept hammering at the demo trying to get just a little further along the track (fortunately, that doesn't require a quarter this time).  That lends it a certain "just one more time" quality that is the mark of a good game.  

I almost think comparing Outrun 2 to Burnout 3 is apples to oranges, though obviously they are both arcade-style racers, they are trying to do different things.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 09:10:40 PM »

I absolutely hated this demo.  Driving game physics and control have changed a lot since 1986, why the fuck would you want to try and recreate that horrible experience with a modern game?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 09:58:07 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I absolutely hated this demo.  Driving game physics and control have changed a lot since 1986, why the fuck would you want to try and recreate that horrible experience with a modern game?

To get money of course.  They did not do it to make you happy that is for sure.   :lol:

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 02:09:36 PM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
Quote from: "EngineNo9"

To get money of course.  They did not do it to make you happy that is for sure.   :lol:

Hah, indeed!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »

The demo felt too much like an arcade game to me. I kept expecting it to ask for another quarter (which tells you how long it's been since I've gone to an arcade). I'm not a fan of checkpoint racing, either. Give me a whole race to run, even if it takes me an hour. While the level design of one giant course is cool, having to experience it in 45-second intervals isn't.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:43:13 PM »

Man I just can't get this game out of my head... I so recall the rush and excitement of playing it in the arcades. I don't own an XBOX but I beg you guys convince me that Burnout3 is 1000 times better so I can just buy that and play it on my son's PS2. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: