http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outrun 2 [not fun]  (Read 1351 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2004, 03:04:39 PM »

Anyone else think Outrun 2 just can't stand up at all to Burnout 3, PGR 2, or any of the other racers out today?  

I played the original, and Outrun 2 does a good job recreating that same feel.  But that feel is outdated now, making Outrun 2 about as enjoyable as getting an enema (not that I would know).

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm supposed to review the title but I'm also having a hard time with it.  Its hard to grab Outrun 2 when its in the box next to Burnout 3.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 03:25:12 PM »

Outrun who? Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 03:31:55 PM »

I doubt it can stand up to Burnout 3...however, I think this game was made for those of us that did put tons of quarters into Outrun in the 80s.  I think dropping the title to the $30 price point instead of the $40 price point would make it more enticing in my mind.  I will certainly rent this game though.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 06:04:46 PM »

I don't know, I think there's room for this game as well.  The demo only had one mode available.  I'm hoping the missions and the heart attack mode will add playability.  Also, I kept hammering at the demo trying to get just a little further along the track (fortunately, that doesn't require a quarter this time).  That lends it a certain "just one more time" quality that is the mark of a good game.  

I almost think comparing Outrun 2 to Burnout 3 is apples to oranges, though obviously they are both arcade-style racers, they are trying to do different things.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 09:10:40 PM »

I absolutely hated this demo.  Driving game physics and control have changed a lot since 1986, why the fuck would you want to try and recreate that horrible experience with a modern game?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 09:58:07 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I absolutely hated this demo.  Driving game physics and control have changed a lot since 1986, why the fuck would you want to try and recreate that horrible experience with a modern game?

To get money of course.  They did not do it to make you happy that is for sure.   :lol:

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 02:09:36 PM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
Quote from: "EngineNo9"

To get money of course.  They did not do it to make you happy that is for sure.   :lol:

Hah, indeed!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »

The demo felt too much like an arcade game to me. I kept expecting it to ask for another quarter (which tells you how long it's been since I've gone to an arcade). I'm not a fan of checkpoint racing, either. Give me a whole race to run, even if it takes me an hour. While the level design of one giant course is cool, having to experience it in 45-second intervals isn't.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:43:13 PM »

Man I just can't get this game out of my head... I so recall the rush and excitement of playing it in the arcades. I don't own an XBOX but I beg you guys convince me that Burnout3 is 1000 times better so I can just buy that and play it on my son's PS2. smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: