http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outlaw Tennis  (Read 3161 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2004, 06:15:54 PM »

Next in the series... Outlaw Tennis!

:   http://news.gamewinners.com/index.php/news/1139/

I've been replaying Outlaw Volleyball while going through Golf 2.  This is really a great series of games.  Excited to see how tennis goes.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 06:21:11 PM »

After Outlaw Golf 2 won me over ... definitely IN. I haven't tried Outlaw Volleyball yet, I guess I should give it a rental.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 06:24:46 PM »

Volleyball is great - reviews were good too - maybe just don't go nuts on upiing the player skills.  I did that and it made the game unbeatable for me, so I'm playing through again just to unlock everything.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:07:20 PM »

Jeff,

You can get Outlaw Volleyball for $10 at Best Buy now.  It's worth that much.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 10:35:09 PM »

Quote from: "Driver"
Next in the series... Outlaw Tennis!

Awesome. I love these guys! biggrin

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 02:25:54 AM »

So for you folks who played Outlaw Volleyball, they have redesigned one of the characters...

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 02:28:17 AM »

And here's an early screen...

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 06:29:22 PM »

Has this shipped? Been cancelled? Anyone picked up a copy? I was really looking forward to this, but with Hypnotix being swallowed by EA, I'm afraid of a cancellation or delay.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 02:19:27 PM »

I just got back into town from an interview and haven't been in a store to check -- I hope the graphics are more OV quality than OG, but I haven't seen any reviews.

I'm pretty excited to hear that the Hypnotix team will be working on Arena Football for EA.  That seems like the perfect next step since I think they milked golf as much as they could with the Outlaw thing.  And their sports engines are always excellent for gameplay.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 05:14:52 AM »

I finally found it at Funcoland. I'm not really sure how I feel about the game. I've played two matches, a "classic" realistic gameplay match and an "outlaw football" match (successful shots were scored in yardage, points were touchdowns, etc.). I lost the classic match 6-0, 6-0, and scored perhaps five times. I lost the football match 84-0 and made roughly the same number of shots. Very frustrating. There are certain situations in the game when it is difficult to move your player, or the player animations take too long to complete before the ball is hit back to react in time. The AI, of course, has no such problem. (This seems endemic to tennis games, though, and cropped up in Virtua Tennis and Top Spin as well.) As in OG2, the drills and mini-games are really fun. There are a lot of different game types to play. Stephen Colbert again provides commentary and is often quite funny. The graphics are nice, though I think the player models in OG2 were better.

I think the strength of the game will rest on the online play. Honestly, once they reveal the "unlock everything" code, I never play the single-player game again. However, I've been trying to play a public online match, but there are literally no other players out there.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 06:43:34 PM »

I picked up the game earlier this morning and played one match and did one mini-game before coming into work.  I agree with pretty much everything you wrote -- it's hard at first and the animations take a while, though I didn't see an lagging the gameplay or the response time.  I totally lost the match 6-0 and didn't get in a lot of hits, though toward the end I felt like I at least knew what I was doing somewhat.

The graphics are very much like Outlaw Volleyball, which is great, and the controls are pretty much identical to OV, which is fantastic.  Lots of new characters.  I'm excited to give it a real go when I get home.  

If you want to take a stab at online play, let me know.  I broke my Xbox Live headset, however, so I'd have to go without voice.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 07:24:25 PM »

Hey i enjoy the outlaw series as well. I have outlaw Volleyball, bought it for 3.99 at blockbuster and i bought outlaw golf XMAS hole 9 something like that last night at block buster, even tho its a demo , but has only 2 characters and 9 snow levels.

I plan on buying the rest when the price goes down, 17.99 for used games is a crime.  :cry:

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 03:47:27 AM »

Yeah, but $20 new isn't so bad. slywink

I've played a lot more of OT and, man, I think it's the hardest game in the Outlaw series.  My fingertips hurt.  But aside from that 'can't believe he pulled off that shot' frustration courtesy the AI, I kept going at it again and again trying to win the last tour match using Killer Miller.  The game play is great and the mini-games are a lot of fun, though I'm reluctant to use them because I'm afraid they'll act the same way as in Volleyball and up the difficulty if you max your character stats.

Anyway, it's a great tennis game -- challenging with fun characters and lots to unlock.

If you liked OV I'd say go with it -- the two are similar in a lot of ways.  I like the whole series, and while I was initially reluctant to pick this up, I'm glad I did.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 01:35:50 AM »

More thoughts posted here.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 08:09:51 PM »

Does anyone who has this for Xbox know if it supports 480p?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 08:32:06 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
Does anyone who has this for Xbox know if it supports 480p?

I'd assume so, considering the number of Xbox titles that don't can be counted on one hand.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 11:34:55 PM »

480p is not highlighted on the back of the case.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: