http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 01:58:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 59763 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2440 on: July 02, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »

So according to this:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/2/5863462/dualshock-4-controller-now-works-wirelessly-with-the-playstation-3

Playstation 4 DS4 controllers now work in wireless mode with the PS3, including the PS button functionality. You can even turn on the PS3 with a DS4.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2441 on: July 02, 2014, 08:44:29 PM »

Actually, from the same user:
...the PS3 still sees it as a generic controller. So sixaxis, vibration and PS button still won't work

And some games like GTAV still don't support it.  Not sure half-assed support is really worth it to me at this point, but I do hate the PS3 controller.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:46:06 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: July 26, 2014, 04:27:12 AM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/25/journey-until-dawn-more-from-sony-heading-to-ps4/
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 26, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »

I was hoping Journey would come to PS4!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 28, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on July 02, 2014, 08:44:29 PM

Actually, from the same user:
...the PS3 still sees it as a generic controller. So sixaxis, vibration and PS button still won't work

And some games like GTAV still don't support it.  Not sure half-assed support is really worth it to me at this point, but I do hate the PS3 controller.

I got one and have been using it for Destiny and Ni No Kuni so far I love it.  The lack of a PS button is only annoying when I want to quit a game.

I have tried the PS3 controller, the Mad Catz, and Logitech ones as well and it is the best feeling of all of them.  So while I don't like some parts it is the best I think I will find.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: July 28, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »

Gaystation 4 up for auction

In celebration of pride week in Sweden, retailer Webhallen is auctioning off a customized PlayStation 4 to support The Swedish Federation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Rights (RFSL). Designated the "Gaystation edition," the auction for the $400 console is already up to $1,630 (as of this writing).

"For many young people, the world of games will become a refuge to escape the taunting or worse of real life. On Webhallen, we are gamers in heart and mind, and are keen that as many as possible have the opportunity to feel welcome and enjoy the world's largest and fastest growing interest: video games," notes the Webhallen post, with #thisisforthegaymers.

The site also notes that 100% of the proceeds will go to RFSL Newcomers, which works with asylum seekers, undocumented migrants and new LGBTQ arrivals under that division.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 30, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »

PS Now opens up to all US and Canada tomorrow 7/31.  Weird I didn't see this anywhere

Congrats guys.  Hope this service proves to be a success
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:59:38 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2447 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »

"All" meaning "US and Canada". It feels a bit silly sitting here with a 100 Mbit fiberoptic Internet connection while Sony says they can't support PS Now in Europe yet because the Internet connections aren't good enough here. Tongue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »

Latency is as/more important than bandwidth for that service.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: July 30, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »

I've finally joined the PS4 club  nod  I was planning on waiting until August 19 when Diablo 3 comes out, but I bought one early in order to try out the Destiny beta.  Of course, the day after I order the PS4, they announced the beta is over disgust.  I'm intending to do more multiplayer this gen, so I'm trying to build up a friends list - I'm Corvelay on PSN if anyone wants to add me.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2450 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »

Wanna try some Last of Us multiplayer? Playing that with a team is one of the best experiences you could have.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 30, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »

So after seeing the side by side of Destiny on the PS3 and PS4 I sold my PS3 and am buying a PS4 tonight. smile 

On the plus side it means I just "finished" several games in my backlog but now I need something to tide me over until Destiny actually launches.

So what game should I buy for the PS4?  I am leaning towards Infamous because it seems like the one I am most likely to be able to play with my kids watching (ages 8 and 6) because while their is a fair amount of violence you can choose to be good and save people. 

What else should I consider?

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 30, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 30, 2014, 02:39:44 PM

So after seeing the side by side of Destiny on the PS3 and PS4 I sold my PS3 and am buying a PS4 tonight. smile 

On the plus side it means I just "finished" several games in my backlog but now I need something to tide me over until Destiny actually launches.

So what game should I buy for the PS4?  I am leaning towards Infamous because it seems like the one I am most likely to be able to play with my kids watching (ages 8 and 6) because while their is a fair amount of violence you can choose to be good and save people. 

What else should I consider?

Infamous is great.

If you're looking for kid friendly the LEGO Marvel game is really fun.

Not kid friendly I'd go with Last of Us or Tomb Raider or Assassins Creed.

If you're into sports FIFA and MLB The Show are pretty great.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 30, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »

Infamous is a good buy.  If you have plus be sure to grab Strider and Towerfall while you can before they cycle out.  Towerfall I think would be fun to play with the kids and supports 4 players, though you will need to grab some controllers.  There's a few other indie games that might be worth checking out that are download only on the digital store.  A lot of other stuff is multiplatform and crossgen so not sure what you may or may not have played.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 30, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »

And if you don't have PSN+, get it.  I think it's worth the cost even if you don't use it for multiplayer.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 30, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »

Thank you all for the idea.

We have most of the lego games on the Wii U and the kids do love them.  I will check out everyone's suggestions.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2456 on: July 30, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »

I get to throw in a lone vote for the Skylanders game.  It plays well with kids and as long as you can keep the 'collect-em-all' drive down, you get a lot of game out of the basic package.  There's also a higher difficulty which suits a more adult level of play.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 30, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »

Really?  I would normally dis regard it because a. geared towards younger players and b. I hate having to buy a lot of extras to play the game.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2458 on: July 30, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »

the story is a bit much, but once you get past that, you have an action rpg with leveling up characters, special powers and extra modes (time trials, arena combat, score modes) and you can skip the extra characters as long as you can keep the kids away from the display.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 30, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 30, 2014, 03:20:17 PM

Really?  I would normally dis regard it because a. geared towards younger players and b. I hate having to buy a lot of extras to play the game.

The first rule of Skylanders is that you should never, ever buy a figure at MSRP.  There's a sale at either Best Buy, Target, or Toys R Us almost every week, and although TRU is notorious for marking up all of their Skylanders, their frequent Buy 2, Get 1 Free deals still offer the best bang for your buck.

Secondly, you won't need more than a handful of characters to gain access to everything Swap Force had to offer.  Brandon Cackowski-Schnell wrote up a buyer's guide over at No High Scores last fall, and I think you only need something like 6 specific figures to cover every possible skill / elemental combination in the game.  I can easily look it up if you like.

It's also worth noting that all Skylanders are forwards-compatible with all future games, at least so far.  The guys you level up and customize in Swap Force will carry all their upgrades into Trap Team when that comes out this fall.  As insidious as the "Characters Sold Separately" aspect of the game may seem at first blush, you can get a tremendous amount of game play out of every figure.

Finally, and most importantly, I feel like it's under-appreciated that Skylanders games are legitimately great on their own merits.  They're kid-friendly action-RPGs with cool combat moves, difficulty options that range from "Snooze" to "Dig Some Mass Graves", they're equally great single-player or co-op, and there are tons of bonus challenges to complete once you've finished the main story.

It's true that Skylanders will run you more than a typical game, but especially if you have kids to play with, I'd compare the cost of entry to something like Rock Band where the amount of fun makes it all worthwhile.

-Autistic Angel
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: July 30, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »

I recommend Child of Light, Ubisoft's downloadable beautiful RPG. As RPGs go, not terribly complicated or deep, but the watercolor style graphics are awesome.

Another vote for Strider, especially if you like Metroid-vania style games.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:31 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 30, 2014, 12:27:46 PM

Wanna try some Last of Us multiplayer? Playing that with a team is one of the best experiences you could have.

Unfortunately, I don't have TLOU yet.  Between PS+ and the handful of retail games I've bought, I'm kind of overflowing with PS4 games now.

The first rule of Skylanders is that you should never, ever buy a figure at MSRP.  There's a sale at either Best Buy, Target, or Toys R Us almost every week, and although TRU is notorious for marking up all of their Skylanders, their frequent Buy 2, Get 1 Free deals still offer the best bang for your buck.
Amazon also has good sales on the figures.  Other than some of the swappable figures I bought with some gift cards and paid full price for, I've gotten most of the my ~35 figures for $3-$4.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: August 22, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »

The white one is quite slick

[/QUOTE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuziAyygac
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »

that's perty.   in other news can we get Orbis removed from the thread title? throws me off literally every time I see it.  ninja
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: August 22, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 22, 2014, 04:36:53 PM

that's perty.   in other news can we get Orbis removed from the thread title? throws me off literally every time I see it.  ninja

But you're okay that the rumors are still put to rest?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: August 22, 2014, 06:10:09 PM »

I preordered the white controller.  Mainly b/c my launch controller is worn out and I want to take advantage of the warranty but don't want to be without a controller.  Plus the white controller does look pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: August 22, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

I preordered the white controller.  Mainly b/c my launch controller is worn out and I want to take advantage of the warranty but don't want to be without a controller.  Plus the white controller does look pretty good.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: August 22, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »

I need to buy a new one as well. My launch controller triggers squeak like a rusty hinge, to the point I've seriously just considered spraying the shit out of it with WD40.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2468 on: August 22, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »

Mine are stable and working just fine, but the analog pads on both controllers is split and in danger of falling off.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: August 22, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »

What the hell are you guys doing to your controllers. I have 2 from launch and both of them are problem free. My son even spilled Kool Aid on one and I had to take it apart to clean up all the sugar and it works perfectly now.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 22, 2014, 06:31:56 PM

I need to buy a new one as well. My launch controller triggers squeak like a rusty hinge, to the point I've seriously just considered spraying the shit out of it with WD40.

I did pop off a trigger and use silicone grease on a hinge and it fixed that. I googled some video about it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2471 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 22, 2014, 06:56:19 PM

What the hell are you guys doing to your controllers. I have 2 from launch and both of them are problem free. My son even spilled Kool Aid on one and I had to take it apart to clean up all the sugar and it works perfectly now.

This has been the subject of much debate. My own controllers still work perfectly, after what's probably been 200+ hours of gaming, but other people have had problems like rubber rubbing off the thumbsticks or the shoulder buttons getting stuck. My best guess is that there was a large problem batch during launch that ended up affecting a fraction (of unknown size) of the initial controllers. It's probably much safer to buy one today, especially if you go for the new models.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: August 23, 2014, 03:55:51 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 22, 2014, 06:56:19 PM

I've never had a controller go bad on me in my life, but one of my launch PS4 controllers responds poorly to pushing up on it.  So, have to buy a new one to replace it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »

The only thing wrong with mine is a worn silicone pad, but that is covered under the warranty so I might as well replace it.

I'm pretty sure I wore it out playing Fifa.  I tend to be rough on controllers while playing Fifa. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: August 23, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »

Mine still functions fine, but the left analog trigger has developed an annoying spring squeak/creak and doesn't move as smoothly as the other.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: August 24, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

FIFA + Call of Duty ruined my first controller. I had both issues, the right trigger and the thumbstick.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: August 24, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 23, 2014, 06:43:10 PM

Mine still functions fine, but the left analog trigger has developed an annoying spring squeak/creak and doesn't move as smoothly as the other.

I googled this when it happened to me pug and was able to pop off the trigger and put some silicone grease on a little piece and put trigger back.  Haven't had an issue since.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 25, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 24, 2014, 07:07:58 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on August 23, 2014, 06:43:10 PM

I googled this when it happened to me pug and was able to pop off the trigger and put some silicone grease on a little piece and put trigger back.  Haven't had an issue since.

Oh thanks!  I'll give it a try.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 25, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »

PSN down due to denial of service attack.   US only I think.

Stupid hackers

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 25, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »

The same hackers called a bomb threat in on the plane the President of Sony Online was on, and continue hitting Blizzard and League.   

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: