http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 08:55:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 71329 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2400 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »

Courtesy Game Informer:

Quote from: Mike Futter
Over the weekend, we reported that a Sony product page boasted that Watch Dogs is running at 1080p and 60 frames per second on PlayStation 4. Today, Sony has made some edits and no longer makes those claims.

We reached out to Ubisoft for clarification on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One resolution and frame rate. We have not yet heard back.

I have a pretty good PC, and after the superlative experience offered by Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, I have no reservations whatsoever about sticking with that platform for Watch Dogs.

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: May 13, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »

Courtesy Game Informer:

Quote from: Mike Futter
On Saturday, we ran a story based on a Sony claim that Watch Dogs runs at 1080p and 60 frames per second on PlayStation 4. Yesterday, Sony quietly amended the product listing featuring the claim to remove the visual specifications. Now, Ubisoft is commenting on the matter.

Watch Dogs will run at 900p, 30 frames per second on PlayStation 4 and 792p, 30 frames per second on Xbox One. ôResolution is a number, just like framerate is a number," says creative director Jonathan Morin. "All those numbers are valid aspects of making games."

I have a pretty good PC, so under the backwards headache soaring beyond Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, I'll sing the body electric towards happy campers withstanding Watch Dogs.

-Autistic Angel
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2402 on: May 13, 2014, 07:27:25 PM »

Ouch! I think this is only the second title to not run at a full 1080p on PS4 (with the first being BF4). This is going to hurt their word of mouth.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: May 13, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 13, 2014, 07:27:25 PM

Ouch! I think this is only the second title to not run at a full 1080p on PS4 (with the first being BF4). This is going to hurt their word of mouth.

What's the deal?  Is cross-platform ruining PS4 games?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2404 on: May 13, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 13, 2014, 07:39:34 PM

Well, my point was that a lot of people will be asking: "Why can't this game run at 1080p when almost every other game can?" This will be especially problematic when compared to something like Infamous, which is likely to look better in the end. I'm willing to bet that pretty much every significant forum discussion about this game is filled with disappointed comments about this bit of news right now. Watch Dogs was already struggling with gaining positive word of mouth, and this won't help in the slightest.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2405 on: May 13, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 13, 2014, 07:58:24 PM

Well, my point was that a lot of people will be asking: "Why can't this game run at 1080p when almost every other game can?" This will be especially problematic when compared to something like Infamous, which is likely to look better in the end. I'm willing to bet that pretty much every significant forum discussion about this game is filled with disappointed comments about this bit of news right now. Watch Dogs was already struggling with gaining positive word of mouth, and this won't help in the slightest.
Based on the early previews looking noticeably worse on console than PC, this news will re-ignite all the earlier reservations people have had about it.  It makes getting the PC deluxe version a lot more enticing when you compare them, assuming comparable (or better) PC specs. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2406 on: May 13, 2014, 08:29:50 PM »

It's actually making me seriously reconsider whether or not to buy it on the PS4. The opportunity to play the game on the couch is tempting, but is it enough? I'm going to have to think about it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2407 on: May 13, 2014, 11:49:50 PM »

If a PC had comparable specs and price, it would look worse than it does on PS4. The closed and integrated architecture of any console allows for better optimization than a PC of the same spec and price could only dream of.

All the hullaballoo is from PC uber-nerds who try to step into every thread to show off their epenis--I mean gaming PC. And I'm getting a little tired of it.

This is coming from a primarily PC gamer. I play almost all major releases on my very powerful PC, but I'm also first to admit this PC cost me a lot of time, money, and effort to get where it is.

The vast majority of gamers in the world will not be coming from a position of having a powerful gaming PC, so the jump up in quality that Watch Dogs has from previous gen games will still look great.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:52:39 PM by Turtle » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: May 14, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »

In the wake of its release, the developers of inFamous: Second Son talked about how they'd spent a large portion of their development basically guessing about how the PS4 architecture was going to respond.  They had target specs provided by Sony, but didn't receive final dev kits until relatively late in the process.  It turned out they'd somewhat underestimated its power, so they took some extra time to polish things up.

My guess is that Ubisoft found themselves working with a similar set of assumptions, but found they'd overestimated what the hardware could do for them.  They did some internal cost-benefit testing to determine how much world detail they'd have to sacrifice to add more lines of resolution and found a balance that kept the frame rate steady.

Alternatively, it's possible the Disrupt engine used in Watch Dogs is fueled by shards of gamers' broken dreams and Ubisoft failed to assassinate Jenova Chen.  It's hard to say.

-Autistic Angel
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2409 on: May 14, 2014, 02:25:25 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2014, 11:49:50 PM

If a PC had comparable specs and price, it would look worse than it does on PS4. The closed and integrated architecture of any console allows for better optimization than a PC of the same spec and price could only dream of.

All the hullaballoo is from PC uber-nerds who try to step into every thread to show off their epenis--I mean gaming PC. And I'm getting a little tired of it.

This is coming from a primarily PC gamer. I play almost all major releases on my very powerful PC, but I'm also first to admit this PC cost me a lot of time, money, and effort to get where it is.

The vast majority of gamers in the world will not be coming from a position of having a powerful gaming PC, so the jump up in quality that Watch Dogs has from previous gen games will still look great.

I don't see anybody wagging their e-peen for the PC Master Race around here.  There are just gamers that have choices between systems and to ignore that is just putting your head in the sand.  This is a gaming site for all platforms.

This is a very odd console generation, and the first one I can think of where PC's were not completely outclassed for the first year or two.  Generally there is a leap-frogging where new consoles have games that PC's don't until things have matured and PCs again take the lead, but this time most everything is on PCs and it runs better there from day 1.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2410 on: May 14, 2014, 04:45:12 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 14, 2014, 02:25:25 AM

This is a very odd console generation, and the first one I can think of where PC's were not completely outclassed for the first year or two.  Generally there is a leap-frogging where new consoles have games that PC's don't until things have matured and PCs again take the lead, but this time most everything is on PCs and it runs better there from day 1.

Yeah, it's kind of refreshing, actually. For once the consoles and PC are on somewhat equal ground technically (well, the PC can still dominate, but the costs to do so are so large that it sort of balances out), and have to compete in other areas.

It also means that we might not see the traditional "PC gaming is dead" news phase this generation, and that's fine by me. The people saying that have always been wrong in the past and haven't been willing to learn from previous mistakes, so it was kind of a silly argument. Tongue
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: May 14, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »

I don't ever recall a time where any console was better than the PC counterpart.  Yes, some games were available only on consoles, but in terms of performance, PC was always the better option.

I preorded the PC version.  I don't get the hate for ubisoft's Uplay.  It works.  You install the game, you hit play.  You have fun.  It's that simple.  It's as simple as Steam and Origin and Battlenet.

But back to the PS4. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2412 on: May 14, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 14, 2014, 04:09:29 PM

I don't ever recall a time where any console was better than the PC counterpart.  Yes, some games were available only on consoles, but in terms of performance, PC was always the better option.

Actually, new console generations were always a big leap over what PCs could do before. This is the first console generation in which that isn't true. Previous generations' consoles have been up to several years ahead of PCs at the time, at least for gaming.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: May 14, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »

I remember when a buddy showed me Rogue Leader on his brand new GameCube, I was blown away by how much better it looked than anything I had seen before on a PC. That's the first time I ever thought consoles surpassed pcs graphically.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: May 14, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »

I guess the real question is what kind of settings ccan you run these games at on PC while building a PC that costs $400?  Sure, dual graphics cards are going to get you insane graphics (and you can build a 4K system right now), but it isn't cheap.  I think before, what you got in a console was better than even the high end PCs, but now the high end ones beat it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: May 14, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »

From my understanding, past consoles were on-par or even under contemporary PC performance, power-wise, but because they were dedicated to gaming, all of that power went to gaming, which let them pull ahead of the PCs (if temporarily).

I may have inadvertently stumbled upon why that hasn't happened this time.  Even the PS4 is doing other things than just gaming, if to a lesser degree.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2416 on: May 14, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2014, 06:31:10 PM

From my understanding, past consoles were on-par or even under contemporary PC performance, power-wise, but because they were dedicated to gaming, all of that power went to gaming, which let them pull ahead of the PCs (if temporarily).

This is exactly it, but with one caveat: Not only was the software designed for games, but the hardware was too. Hardware completely dedicated to very specialized tasks can be extremely effective, and that was what happened with those consoles.

Since that time, PCs have become far better suited for games for a variety of reason. The two most important ones are graphics cards in general (and their buses), but also Direct3D and newer versions of Windows. There used to be tons of overhead on PCs before, but that's no longer the case, at least not to the degree it was at the beginning of the last console generation.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: May 14, 2014, 08:30:41 PM »

Reading around the internet, it's interesting to see how this resolution issue is playing out compared to the last one.

"Hey, some of these launch games run at a higher resolution and better frame rate on the PS4."

"Oh, please!  It's literally impossible for the human eye to discern a difference between 1080p at 60fps and 720p at 35fps!"

"It also looks like the PS4 version of Watch Dogs is going to run at 900p instead of 1080p."

"THIS IS A HAYMAKER TO THE SOLAR PLEXUS OF THE PS4!!1!"

-Autistic Angel
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: May 14, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »

The PS4 is powerful, but it has its limitations. There has been this perception due to its performance compared to the XB1 that it is some kind of miracle machine that gives developers unlimited ability to let their imaginations run wild.

For me that perception was shattered the first time I played Infamous: Second Son and ran into frame rate drops.

That's not to take anything away from it - the games look awesome. But in the end it's just a really optimized mid-range PC.
TheRockFrog
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: May 14, 2014, 11:55:33 PM »

I love the PS4 compared to the PS3 as far as speed of boot up and connections, pretty much everything speed wise.   I cringe sometimes when I think of playing computer games anymore, sitting at a computer desk,  stuck in that position when I can just lounge with the PS4....BUT there really hasn't been much out for it and I have very limited play time....almost sold it last week but figured I'd keep it for awhile longer...sold D3 for the PS3 as I though it was coming out quicker for the PS4...so keeping it for that mostly.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: May 15, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 14, 2014, 08:42:25 PM

There has been this perception due to its performance compared to the XB1 that it is some kind of miracle machine that gives developers unlimited ability to let their imaginations run wild.

Nobody thinks this (that is rational, anyway).  It just performs better than the XBO.  An open world game like Watch Dogs is going to tax the system.  Infamous benefits because it was only made for one platform.  AC4 is multiplatform and somewhat open world, but the scope is not as large when you're in a city.  From what I have seen of Watch Dogs, it's got traffic, lots of different buildings, etc. and is multiplatform (including last-gen) so it's just not going to run as well as Infamous.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2421 on: May 15, 2014, 02:35:49 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 15, 2014, 02:25:30 PM

There has been this perception due to its performance compared to the XB1 that it is some kind of miracle machine that gives developers unlimited ability to let their imaginations run wild.

Nobody thinks this (that is rational, anyway).  It just performs better than the XBO.  An open world game like Watch Dogs is going to tax the system.  Infamous benefits because it was only made for one platform.  AC4 is multiplatform and somewhat open world, but the scope is not as large when you're in a city.  From what I have seen of Watch Dogs, it's got traffic, lots of different buildings, etc. and is multiplatform (including last-gen) so it's just not going to run as well as Infamous.
not to mention the AI modeling has to be a lot more complex than in Black Flag.  It's one of the aspects that appeal to me about WD. 

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: May 15, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

The last Gen part is going to hold it back way more than if it was just developed for this gen and PC. They are essentially developing a game for 10 year old hardware, then optimizing it to look a little bit better on current hardware. Devs will be holding themselves back until they get rid of the multi gen development.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2423 on: May 15, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 15, 2014, 02:36:55 PM

The last Gen part is going to hold it back way more than if it was just developed for this gen and PC. They are essentially developing a game for 10 year old hardware, then optimizing it to look a little bit better on current hardware. Devs will be holding themselves back until they get rid of the multi gen development.

There's actually more to it than that. The last-gen and current-gen versions are different in many, but subtle ways. Ubisoft hasn't talked much about it, but IIRC, you'll see far less pedestrians in the last-gen version, among other things.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2424 on: May 16, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »

Infamous was also limited by the fact that Sucker Punch is much smaller team than what you would normally see making big open world games. So it's still not the best example of what can be done for this new generation of consoles.

I kinda hope Sucker Punch does get extra funding for Infamous 4, even though that might balloon the company so it loses a bit of its charm.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: May 16, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 16, 2014, 09:09:44 AM

Infamous was also limited by the fact that Sucker Punch is much smaller team than what you would normally see making big open world games. So it's still not the best example of what can be done for this new generation of consoles.

I kinda hope Sucker Punch does get extra funding for Infamous 4, even though that might balloon the company so it loses a bit of its charm.

Agreed. Might be a blessing and a curse.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: June 06, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »

E3 app http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/06/e3-2014-app-live-on-ps4-download-now/#sf3203146
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: June 22, 2014, 04:08:33 AM »

well, I did it.  I bought it.  Birthday came around, and I sold my xbox 360 a month back, and figured, I have nothing else I want to buy, and money has a hard time sitting in my wallet.  Updating now.  Picked up Wolfenstein for $39.  Want to get MLB the Show, but it's not on sale.  So I'll wait on that.  And I'll wait for the games that are supposed to hit next year. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2428 on: June 22, 2014, 08:27:46 AM »

Grats! Wolfenstein is great, btw. Make sure you play it on as high a difficulty as you can. Try ▄ber, then turn it down if it becomes too much.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: June 22, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »

Quote from: naednek on June 22, 2014, 04:08:33 AM

well, I did it.  I bought it.  Birthday came around, and I sold my xbox 360 a month back, and figured, I have nothing else I want to buy, and money has a hard time sitting in my wallet.  Updating now.  Picked up Wolfenstein for $39.  Want to get MLB the Show, but it's not on sale.  So I'll wait on that.  And I'll wait for the games that are supposed to hit next year. 

For what it's worth, Target has The Show for PS4 on sale this week for $47.99.  Kmart also has Killzone: Shadowfall for $19.99, but you may want to check reviews and impressions to see if it would suit your tastes.

Did you get the bundle with the Vita?  If so, remember that logging into PlayStation Plus on the PS4 does not show you the free Vita games you can download, and vice versa.  You'll want to connect online and jump into Plus on each system.

By the way, I finally set up my Vita for remote play on the PS4.  Took all of three minutes and it works *perfectly!*

-Autistic Angel
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2430 on: June 22, 2014, 11:18:16 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 22, 2014, 10:52:30 AM

Did you get the bundle with the Vita?  If so, remember that logging into PlayStation Plus on the PS4 does not show you the free Vita games you can download, and vice versa.  You'll want to connect online and jump into Plus on each system.

Nah, a better solution is to use their web store. That way you can browse content for all Sony platforms at once. An added bonus with all three systems, as long as you have PS Plus, is that you can start downloads from here too. As far as I can tell, the PS3 and Vita downloads happen at specific times of the day, while the PS4 downloads start instantly when you click the download button in the browser.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: June 22, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »

i'm looking at some ebay auctions for The Show.  I'min no rush.  

I heard about the PS4 Vita bundle didn't see it at any stores I was at.  I was toying with getting the PS4 Destiny Bundle and just wait, but there's really not a huge savings, and I'd rather have the PS4 as black and not white.  

(insert ATB's That's Racist GIF)

Wolfenstein is fun, but man I had some frustrating moments already in the first level.  Jumping out of that plane, it tells me to sprint and jump. I followed their instructions and I kept dying and dying over and over again.  FPS games are better for me on PC games, but I'm liking it.  

I think I'm going to just rent games until Destiny comes out.  I don't expect this to be my primary game system.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:28:08 PM by naednek » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: June 22, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 22, 2014, 12:22:28 PM

Wolfenstein is fun, but man I had some frustrating moments already in the first level.  Jumping out of that plane, it tells me to sprint and jump. I followed their instructions and I kept dying and dying over and over again.]

Funny, had the exact same issue and not really sure what I was doing wrong. I kept dying, they kept telling me to 'sprint and jump' and I kept yelling at the screen that I AM sprinting and jumping, dammit! Finally worked and not really sure what was different when it did, guess I finally got the timing of the jump to its liking.  icon_confused

But yah, fun game. Big  thumbsup

I don't expect this to be my primary game system.

Turning out to be mine at the moment.  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: June 22, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »

Funny, had the exact same issue and not really sure what I was doing wrong. I kept dying, they kept telling me to 'sprint and jump' and I kept yelling at the screen that I AM sprinting and jumping, dammit! Finally worked and not really sure what was different when it did, guess I finally got the timing of the jump to its liking.

I had the same issue. It's because I wasn't sprinting and jumping correctly. You have to click down on the left analog to sprint, then hit X to jump. For some reason I was reversing those controls, and trying to sprint with X and jump with the analog stick.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: June 22, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »

I really wish the ps3 remote worked.  Makes no sense why it wouldn't.  And what's worse, there isn't a replacement.  Going to have to see what I can do to get my logitech 880 to work with it
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: June 22, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »

Wolfenstein is fun, but man I had some frustrating moments already in the first level.  Jumping out of that plane, it tells me to sprint and jump. I followed their instructions and I kept dying and dying over and over again.  FPS games are better for me on PC games, but I'm liking it. 

I think I'm going to just rent games until Destiny comes out.  I don't expect this to be my primary game system.

The first level is the worst by far. 

Also, while I greatly enjoyed Wolfenstein, don't expect it to be a graphics showpiece for what the PS4 can do.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: June 22, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »

nah I fully expect that anything on the PS4 to look like the PC from a year or two ago in terms of graphics.   My PC will be the showcase, PS4 is just a fun extension of gaming
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: June 22, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 22, 2014, 02:34:55 PM

nah I fully expect that anything on the PS4 to look like the PC from a year or two ago in terms of graphics.   My PC will be the showcase, PS4 is just a fun extension of gaming

Still what I'm getting at is, Wolfenstein isn't pushing the PS4 hardware.   Infamous: SS looks better than pretty much anything on the PC from a year or two ago.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: June 22, 2014, 03:31:46 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 22, 2014, 12:58:33 PM

Funny, had the exact same issue and not really sure what I was doing wrong. I kept dying, they kept telling me to 'sprint and jump' and I kept yelling at the screen that I AM sprinting and jumping, dammit! Finally worked and not really sure what was different when it did, guess I finally got the timing of the jump to its liking.

I had the same issue. It's because I wasn't sprinting and jumping correctly. You have to click down on the left analog to sprint, then hit X to jump. For some reason I was reversing those controls, and trying to sprint with X and jump with the analog stick.

I didn't reverse the controls, but I also had to replay this segment a dozen times with no idea what I was doing wrong.  When I finally did it right, I did realize what my mistake was, but I couldn't tell you now.

Quote from: TiLT on June 22, 2014, 08:27:46 AM

Make sure you play it on as high a difficulty as you can. Try ▄ber, then turn it down if it becomes too much.

There is no reason to do this.  Play on whatever difficulty you want.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2439 on: June 22, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 22, 2014, 03:31:46 PM

There is no reason to do this.  Play on whatever difficulty you want.

Sure, but the thing is, this is one of the only games out there that has clearly been designed to be fun at the highest difficulty level. Most games just throw all kinds of crap at you with ridiculous odds only to make it difficult. The only other game I've seen that has been able to pull this off is the first Crysis. The recommendation to increase the difficulty isn't just my own opinion however. It's the first game in a long while where I've seen a lot of people recommend turning it way up.

Regardless, unless you're very new to first person shooters, you should at least turn it up from the "normal" difficulty. This isn't a hard game.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: