http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 70785 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: April 17, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 17, 2014, 05:12:06 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 17, 2014, 04:15:04 PM

Eurogamer has received confirmation from Activision that the XB1 version of The Amazing Spiderman 2 has been indefinitely postponed:

Quote from: Eurogamer
Activision has confirmed the postponement of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on Xbox One to Eurogamer but said it will collaborate with Microsoft "in an effort to release" the title at some point.

There's still no reason for the delay - and whether the game will actually release at all still seems in doubt.

I think Spiderman videogames have been on a speedy decline ever since Web of Shadows and have no intention of buying this anyway, but people keeping lists of next-gen exclusives can tally up one more.

-Autistic Angel

er, wrong thread?  this should be posted to the XB1 thread, or more appropriately to the non-existent ASM2 thread

rules AA  ban

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 17, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »

Eurogamer has received confirmation from Activision that the XB1 version of The Amazing Spiderman 2 has been indefinitely postponed:

Activision has confirmed the postponement of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on Xbox One to Eurogamer but said it will collaborate with Microsoft "in an effort to release" the title at some point.

There's still no reason for the delay - and whether the game will actually release at all still seems in doubt.

I think Spiderman videogames have been on a speedy decline ever since Web of Shadows and have no intention of buying this anyway, but people keeping lists of next-gen exclusives can tally up one more.

-Autistic Angel

er, wrong thread?  this should be posted to the XB1 thread, or more appropriately to the non-existent ASM2 thread

It actually existed, just no one cared  http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/(pc360xb1wii-u3dsps3ps4)-the-amazing-spider-man-2/
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2282 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »

So did it not look good or did Sony offer them a cash hat?  I find it hard to believe they couldn't get their engine working on the xb1.  I'm interested in this one since they mentioned the return of dual web swinging with real attach points like Spiderman 2.  Though now I do wonder if the PS4 version will look next gen.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2283 on: April 17, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on April 17, 2014, 05:16:31 PM

-Autistic Angel

er, wrong thread?  this should be posted to the XB1 thread, or more appropriately to the non-existent ASM2 thread

It actually existed, just no one cared  http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/(pc360xb1wii-u3dsps3ps4)-the-amazing-spider-man-2/
wow, nobody indeed.  only one post from CeeKay in it.  what a change from the high point of the SM2 thread (and SM3 until people started playing it)

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on April 17, 2014, 05:21:29 PM

So did it not look good or did Sony offer them a cash hat?  I find it hard to believe they couldn't get their engine working on the xb1.  I'm interested in this one since they mentioned the return of dual web swinging with real attach points like Spiderman 2.  Though now I do wonder if the PS4 version will look next gen.

You don't have to wonder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JJzq5BCqo

and the answer is not really.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2285 on: April 17, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on April 17, 2014, 05:21:29 PM

So did it not look good or did Sony offer them a cash hat?  I find it hard to believe they couldn't get their engine working on the xb1.  I'm interested in this one since they mentioned the return of dual web swinging with real attach points like Spiderman 2.  Though now I do wonder if the PS4 version will look next gen.

here's a few shots from the PS4 version

not bad, but they don't scream next gen outside of polygon count and view distance (which is nice when you can see all of NYC)

the playthrough video seems ok to me.

-edit- beaten to the punch...

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2286 on: April 17, 2014, 05:54:18 PM »

I saw that video but assumed it was a PC build.  I'll probably wait for a side by side comparison next gen to current.  And I'll wait for reviews and impressions.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2287 on: April 17, 2014, 06:02:56 PM »

I've been reading some of the recent tweets from the @beenoxteam account. 

Apr 13
@jakemabbott There is no realtime day & night cycle, but you will be able to free roam in the city at different moments.

didn't one of the previous games have a full cycle? 

Apr 13
@Round1f1ght The game runs at 1080p 30fps on both the PS4 and the Xbox One.
odd then that it was shelved.  must be due to the lack of improvements from last-gen

also, the game is only retailing for $40.  This is an unusual price for what should be a standout title.  maybe their dev budget wasn't high enough from the beginning?  plus, none of the movie actors are providing VO. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 17, 2014, 06:02:56 PM

Apr 13
@Round1f1ght The game runs at 1080p 30fps on both the PS4 and the Xbox One.
odd then that it was shelved.  must be due to the lack of improvements from last-gen

I doubt it's anything like that, probably a showstopping bug showed up late and they need to evaluate the time and resources to fix it when considering what sales would end up being for a delayed version.  Possibly an issue introduced with the new XB1 firmware.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2289 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »

Given Activision's history, I doubt it has anything to do with the platforms themselves. Odds are good that all versions will be canceled long before this has a chance to come out. It's very unlikely that this game would be a big earner for them, and at that point Activision stops caring. If it's not Call of Duty or a Blizzard game, Activision just doesn't want to deal with it.

It's one of the primary reasons I suspect they'll be the first of the biggest publishers to crash and burn this generation. They've got almost no licenses worth caring about outside of Blizzard's properties.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: April 17, 2014, 07:24:15 PM »

-Autistic Angel

I saw two ways to post the news: the fact that the XB1 has suffered some sort of technical hitch, or the fact that the PS4 has gained a (temporary?) exclusive.  I don't own an XB1, so the second option seemed less antagonistic.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2291 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »

The Spiderman movie franchise is owned by Sony pictures, who approves any licensing too. But honestly it may just be technical problems combined with rushed development to meet the film's release deadline.

But, unless they pull off another Batman: Arkham Asylum, I'm not interested.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: April 17, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »

Wow, so I just saw that the PS4 beat the XB1 in the new NPD. I seriously didn't see that coming with all the Titanfall hype and (rather desperate looking) firesales and bundling going on at various retailers for the XB1 as of late.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:07 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 17, 2014, 10:50:55 PM

But, unless they pull off another Batman: Arkham Asylum, I'm not interested.

Beenox couldn't pull off Arkham Asylum if it was fixed to the wall with Scotch tape.  I thought Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions was absolutely terrible, and they've only gotten worse with every successive version.

-Autistic Angel
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: April 18, 2014, 01:33:14 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on April 17, 2014, 11:47:13 PM

Wow, so I just saw that the PS4 beat the XB1 in the new NPD. I seriously didn't see that coming with all the Titanfall hype and (rather desperate looking) firesales and bundling going on at various retailers for the XB1 as of late.

You mean Titan-fail?  I kid!  I'm still buying the sequel on PS4.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: April 18, 2014, 01:57:27 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 18, 2014, 01:33:14 AM

Quote from: Hetz on April 17, 2014, 11:47:13 PM

You mean Titan-fail?  I kid!  I'm still buying the sequel on PS4.

stirthepot

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: April 18, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »

It'll probably sell better on the 360 than the XB1, plus it was made by a smaller staff than a lot of AAA teams (like Infinity Ward or Irrational) so it shouldn't need to sell as much to make its money back.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 19, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 18, 2014, 08:05:09 PM

It'll probably sell better on the 360 than the XB1, plus it was made by a smaller staff than a lot of AAA teams (like Infinity Ward or Irrational) so it shouldn't need to sell as much to make its money back.

Probably not for EA since Microsoft seemed to do all the marketing and hype for them in attempting to sell Xbox Ones.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 19, 2014, 11:12:03 PM »

Titanfall still won the software sales numbers in March. That's pretty impressive given PS4's 2 million unit hardware lead.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 19, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »

They also basically gave the game away for free so less impressive but still relatively impressive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 20, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 19, 2014, 11:12:03 PM

Titanfall still won the software sales numbers in March. That's pretty impressive given PS4's 2 million unit hardware lead.

It's 2M world wide.  In the US which is NPD, it's something like a 200k lead I think.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2301 on: April 20, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 19, 2014, 11:12:03 PM

Are you comparing with Infamous' sales, or something? If so, keep in mind that Titanfall was available for PC as well, while Infamous was PS4 only. Even with that restriction, Infamous grabbed the second place for itself over popular games available on several platforms.

As far as I'm aware, we have no knowledge of how many Titanfall sales were on Xbox One vs PC.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 20, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »

My point is that all the "Titanfail" comments and "MS desperation price cuts" are just silly. The real desperation seems to be on the part of the PS4 crowd to somehow paint the XB1 (and by extension, Titanfall) as some sort of system in dire trouble, when it's clearly not. In fact, given the higher price point and limited number of markets, it's doing extremely well.

Here's a great article pointing out why sales numbers can't be taken at surface value.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 20, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »

I'm genuinely surprised. I figured with the 'price cuts' and Titanfall this would have been the month the X1 surpassed the PS4 in units sold, at least in the US.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 20, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 20, 2014, 02:24:29 PM

My point is that all the "Titanfail" comments and "MS desperation price cuts" are just silly. The real desperation seems to be on the part of the PS4 crowd to somehow paint the XB1 (and by extension, Titanfall) as some sort of system in dire trouble, when it's clearly not. In fact, given the higher price point and limited number of markets, it's doing extremely well.

Here's a great article pointing out why sales numbers can't be taken at surface value.
It's funny, I read that article before and disagreed with almost every point.
Ironically his first point that 7 million minus 5 million doesn't make a 2 million is the most correct-it's actually much worse because the Xbox totals are only sold-in.
Anyways:
1. Regions. PS4 certainly has an advantage here but how much of a factor is it? Is releasing in Japan or all the other countries traditionally weak Xbox territory (ie all the other countries that aren't in the original 13) really going to boost their sales by that much?
2. $100 price difference.  Absolutely.
3. Production constraints. Huh? If anything this makes the numbers look worse for MS because they are absolutely not impacted. Sony on the other hand clearly are.
4. Yes, both consoles are clearly selling considerably better than last gen. That only matters though if MS is concerned with competing against the PS3. Absolute totals mean nothing - everything is relative.
5. Titanfall wasn't supposed to change the sales figures. Again, HUH? The Titanfall mantra has been all we've heard since when? August?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 20, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »

I'm no longer a fan of anything from Microsoft.  This started with Windows 8 and the asinine XB1 decisions (that Of course were ultimately reversed). 

I'm not rooting against the XB1, but it pleases me that the PS4 is outselling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake up.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 20, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 20, 2014, 03:43:30 PM

I'm no longer a fan of anything from Microsoft.  This started with Windows 8 and the asinine XB1 decisions (that Of course were ultimately reversed). 

I'm not rooting against the XB1, but it pleases me that the PS4 is outselling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is me to a degree, too, though it started with when they abandoned WP7 for me.  It was a slow trickle to this realization, though, since I was decidedly in their camp with the 360.

However, the change in management over at the Xbox HQ has me at least a little interested again in their direction.  I don't know who the new guy is, and I don't know if all the news blurbs I've seen about him being a gamer are only PR speak or also actually true, but the fact that MS saw the need to get this message out there is at least a good sign.

Add to this that I recently finally picked up the Xbone and have had some fun with it, and I'm hopeful for their future.

Still, they alienated me and screwed up their messaging so much that I'm also glad to see them stumble a bit out of the gate.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 20, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 20, 2014, 02:38:32 PM

I'm genuinely surprised. I figured with the 'price cuts' and Titanfall this would have been the month the X1 surpassed the PS4 in units sold, at least in the US.

Same here.  I thought Titanfall was going to clear out most of the stale XB1 inventory in stores.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 20, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

I think TF is a success for EA and Respawn but less so for MS.  Rumors put it over 1mil for XB1 units sold.  It seems like it was a bit of a system seller but a lot of those systems were front loaded in Nov/dec with people getting the XB1 to eventually get TF.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 20, 2014, 10:54:39 PM »

This started with Windows 8 and the asinine XB1 decisions (that Of course were ultimately reversed).

This is MS's typical modus operandi. They try something new, figure out what works and what doesn't, then correct it in the next iteration. This cycle has been going on for AGES. Everybody loved XP, everybody hated Vista, everybody loved Windows 7, everybody hates Windows 8. Windows 9 will probably be awesome.

It's futile to get angry at MS for long because in another generation they'll release something everybody loves. They're a long-term thinking company that has the resources to dump a lot of money in throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. We need companies like that to drive things forward.

Sure, everybody laughs at the XB1's voice commands and the Kinect, but who else out there is taking those kinds of risks? Are we better off not taking those, and never seeing technology pushed forward? I argue that I'd rather see that technology pushed...and fail....so that we understand what works and have it next time turn into something awesome.

Sony played it safe....very safe...this gen, and a lot of times safe is successful. It's the reason Hollywood churns out sequels or remakes old IPs. But it's the risks that are taken that lead to innovation and push the medium forward...even when they're not the most profitable.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: April 21, 2014, 02:35:26 AM »

Quote from: gellar on April 20, 2014, 02:38:32 PM

Same here. I was completely shocked that not only did the XB1 lose in March in the USA, they are getting beaten badly in the rest of the world. They have "sold-in" to retail 5mil vs the PS4's 7mil that were actually sold to customers. That is a big difference and a rather large problem, especially with "Yes, But OMG Have You Seen Titanfall?!?!?" not having anywhere near the kind of impact that Microsoft was clearly hoping it would have.

I am desperately hoping for a price cut for E3 and a Kinect-less SKU for Christmas so I can get back on board with the XB1.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 21, 2014, 04:24:06 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 20, 2014, 02:24:29 PM

I find that a pretty poor article. The only thing of value is the shipped vs actually sold point. The last one about how Titanfall wasn't supposed to be a game changer/system seller is laughable and total spin(like most of the points). Microsoft has done everything in their power since last E3 to make it into one for Xbox.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2312 on: April 21, 2014, 04:50:03 AM »

8 years ago I was saying that the PS3 would be fine despite sales numbers being behind by a significant margin. The same people who laughed at the concept then are the ones making the same arguments now for the XB1.

And overall I agree with them, while still acknowledging that the PS4 leads, and the XB1 has a lot of catching up to do. Sales numbers can be taken at face value if they're the right numbes. But what you can't do is think that those numbers are permanent. However, we know for sure that MS and the XB1 is currently losing the war for 3rd party multiplatforms. The biggest reason for the 360's dominance, and the reason why the PS4 is doing so well despite not having too many big exclusives this year is that people are buying those big name 3rd party multiplatform games on the PS4. The real fight is to get those sales back on the XB1.

This will just force MS to focus on the games, a concept they lost sight of in the waning days of the 360. For all we know, this Quantum Break could be their uncharted, and they already have a solid shooter lineup.

We've seen the benefits from this competition already, in the features being announced or released in the early console firmware updates.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 21, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »

However, we know for sure that MS and the XB1 is currently losing the war for 3rd party multiplatforms. The biggest reason for the 360's dominance, and the reason why the PS4 is doing so well despite not having too many big exclusives this year is that people are buying those big name 3rd party multiplatform games on the PS4.

Yes, absolutely. While I've only bought one third-party title on the PS4 (Thief), there's no doubt that it's most likely going to be my platform of choice for single-player third-party titles. MS really needs to get their resolution issues straightened out quickly. I think they will (a couple of new titles have already been announced in parity with PS4 performance), but that perception is already in place of it being the "weaker" console.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 21, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »

Way, way too early in the generation to start predicting winners and losers, anyhow.

We don't have a complete picture until we get the 360 data. Why would Titanfall create a substantial demand for XB1s with a comparable 360 version around the corner? It doesn't make sense to me.

Sean Lama
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 22, 2014, 02:40:22 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 21, 2014, 08:34:17 PM

Way, way too early in the generation to start predicting winners and losers, anyhow.

We don't have a complete picture until we get the 360 data. Why would Titanfall create a substantial demand for XB1s with a comparable 360 version around the corner? It doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, but I think MS was clearly hoping it would have a bigger impact on XB1 sales than it did. They even delayed the 360 version twice to ensure that it would have the maximum impact.

I believe that the only way Titanfall could have had the impact that MS was hoping for is if they made it a complete XB1 exclusive (no PC or 360 version) but there was no way EA would agree to it. They took enough heat and loss of sales with the decision to kill the PS3/PS4 versions of the game.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 22, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »

I agree. I don't own an Xboxone, but I still have two other platforms I could play Titanfall on. The game doesn't interest me, but even if it did I don't need a Bone to play it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2317 on: April 22, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 22, 2014, 12:52:20 PM

I agree. I don't own an Xboxone, but I still have two other platforms I could play Titanfall on. The game doesn't interest me, but even if it did I don't need a Bone to play it.

agreed.  to me, system seller implies console exclusivity, otherwise why would you need to buy the system?  I think they new that since the XB1 market wouldn't be large enough to sustain sales sufficient to their dev needs, they had to release on 360. 

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 22, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »

Suikoden II apparently coming to PSN

Yippiee!  Great game and I am sure it will be great fun to play again!

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 22, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 22, 2014, 02:22:46 PM

Suikoden II apparently coming to PSN

Yippiee!  Great game and I am sure it will be great fun to play again!

Coming to PS3 frown

Suikoden II was one of the few JRPGs I ever finished.

Sean Lama
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: