http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 11:01:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 70580 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2240 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »

You guys are lucky. The supply is so limited in Norway that some retail chains seem to be struggling to even fulfill pre-orders from before Christmas, and the Xbox One won't be released until October or so. I'm damn happy I pre-ordered as early as I did and got my PS4 on launch day. Not many did.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: March 21, 2014, 01:59:28 PM »

Controller LED dimming is coming, but not turning off.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/446715003391856640
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2242 on: March 21, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »

Dimming isn't perfect, but it still preserves the future positional tracking uses of the controller for later camera integration.

Although I suppose you could have it so that any time the camera wants to find the controller position it sends a signal to turn on the LED.
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2243 on: March 22, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »

Update: My disc ejecting problem started when I moved my unit to the other end of the shelf. Noticed it was sticking out more than before (the PS4 is slightly deeper than the shelf). It was kind of leaning forward and putting more stress on the rubber bumper under the eject button. Rumours online are that this bumper is putting stress on the eject button because it's pretty much attached to it. I pushed the system back in deeper to the shelf and it now sits more level and the problem hasn't happened since.

Could be a coincidence but keeping fingers crossed. Warranty is for a year so I'll keep monitoring.
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2244 on: March 22, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »

I don't mind the LED. Playing Tomb Raider in a dark room is pretty fun when the LED flickers like the torch you're carrying and/or the muzzle flash from your shots light up the room. When done right it can be immersive.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2245 on: March 22, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »

Haven't really noticed the LED user in Thief, and that supposedly uses it for effect.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 22, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

While I like Infamous a ton, its LED use is terrible, at least in the start.  It defaults to bright white then changes to blue or red with your Karma, and while I generally haven't
had screen glare issues with the light, here it was actually noticeable as it was so damn bright.  Bring on the dimmer option!
leo8877

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2247 on: March 22, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 22, 2014, 03:23:36 PM

Haven't really noticed the LED user in Thief, and that supposedly uses it for effect.

iirc it corresponds to your light crystal to match how visible or concealed you are.
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2248 on: March 22, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »

I'm more annoyed that the Tomb Raider case is not the same size as the others and doesn't fit properly on my shelf.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: March 29, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »

Sony thinking about adding backwards compatibility after all?

Dying to play classic games like Viewtiful Joe or Tekken 3 on your PS4? Well, you might just be in luck. A recent rumor has indicated that Sony is working on PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility for the PS4 — sidestepping the need for game streaming completely. Even better, a number of “select titles” are supposedly running natively at 1080p.

Ahsan Rasheed, a noted insider in the gaming industry, made a number of tweets today claiming that Sony plans to support PS1 and PS2 titles on its latest console. While it’s no surprise that Sony is working on bringing its back catalog to the PS4, it was largely assumed that the PlayStation Now game streaming service would fill that role. Instead, we might have access to the entirety of the PS1 and PS2 library running on the PS4′s hardware itself. It’s easy to imagine Sony selling emulated classic titles on PSN, but this could also mean that PS1 and PS2 game discs could be played seamlessly.

More importantly, Rasheed claims that some titles will even be capable of rendering natively at 1080p. While the details like textures and shaders would likely be left untouched, the game itself could be made to run at resolutions never possible with the original hardware. For example, the Dolphin emulator can take the classic 480p GameCube version of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and make it render beautifully at 1080p. If Sony is working that same kind of engineering magic on its emulator for the PS4, we can expect classic games to look better than they’ve ever looked before.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/179164-ps4-may-soon-play-your-favorite-ps1-and-ps2-games-in-native-1080p

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: March 29, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »

Interesting. I wonder if that means they've run into problems with PSNow and if it isn't working as well as they'd hoped.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2251 on: March 29, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

PS1/PS2 compatibility has been rumored for a while, and PS Now has focused entirely on PS3 up to now anyway. You need to keep in mind that this compatibility is for PS4 only, while PS Now will work on a large variety of devices that won't have this kind of feature.

I doubt this feature will cause any significant boost in sales for the PS4, but it's always nice to have for us consumers. smile
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: March 29, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »

Oh ok. I guess I'm not the only one confused about this. I thought I had seen a compatibility list of what PSNow would be supporting. But if it's focused more on PS3 games, that makes sense since PSNow does use PS3 hardware.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2253 on: March 29, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »

PS Now is supposed to cover PS1, 2 and 3, but the former two are unlikely to be very important to the PS4 because of the (alleged) backwards compatibility. PS Now will still be useful to play PS1 and PS2 games (as well as PS3 of course) on other devices, like the Vita and tablets.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: March 29, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »

Considering remote play from my PS4 to my Vita is pretty awful within my own house, I can't see how PSNow would be playable at all.  Is anyone able to actually play games with remote play?  Is there some trick to get it work correctly?  My Vita gets awful download speeds, mostly less than 5 MB/s, but my computer and iOS devices get 20 MB/s on average.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: March 29, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 29, 2014, 10:18:20 PM

Considering remote play from my PS4 to my Vita is pretty awful within my own house, I can't see how PSNow would be playable at all.  Is anyone able to actually play games with remote play?  Is there some trick to get it work correctly?  My Vita gets awful download speeds, mostly less than 5 MB/s, but my computer and iOS devices get 20 MB/s on average.

On the Jumping the Shark podcast, Brandon noted that the Vita defaults to connecting directly to the PS4 even if its signal to your home WiFi router is much better.  He solved the same connectivity problems you're describing by going into the Options and setting his Vita to always connect to his home router instead.

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2256 on: March 29, 2014, 11:58:17 PM »

a lot depends on the router you have and which flavor of 802.11 you have and whether you have anything else using bandwidth at the same time.  my setup is a little different (PS4 wired, N300 Asus router) but I get decent enough performance even at work.  played both AC4 and Infamous on it and only got occasional graphic degradation.  it was very playable though.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: March 31, 2014, 01:12:28 AM »

I have an apple time capsule that has the built in airport express.  I set my Vita to not connect directly to the PS4 and it still is awful.  All of the computers here and cell phones and tablets all get 20 mb/s+.  PS4 is also wired with LAN cable.  If I leave the room that my PS4 is in, then during remote play the vita gets pixelated and drops the connection.  For me, the application is basically useless.  I can't use the Vita to remote from my bedroom, which is directly above the playstation.  Not 10 feet difference.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:17:14 AM by leo8877 » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: March 31, 2014, 02:05:39 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 31, 2014, 01:12:28 AM

I have an apple time capsule that has the build in airport express.  I set my Vita to not connect directly to the PS4 and it still is awful.  All of the computers here and cell phones and tablets all get 20 mb/s+.  PS4 is also wired with LAN cable.  If I leave the room that my PS4 is in, then during remote play the vita gets pixelated and drops the connection.  For me, the application is basically useless.  I can't use the Vita to remote from my bedroom, which is directly above the playstation.  Not 10 feet difference.

That's okay.  I get weird lag here and there even connected directly to the PS4 and right in the room.  Not sure if it's interference with the other wifi-enabled devices I have all around the PS4 or what.  Wii U does it to me as well, some times.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2259 on: April 04, 2014, 03:42:35 PM »

missed the earlier response, but I don't have any suggestions unfortunately.  what's the Vita get for connection speed? 

Here's what I get at work, which based on the average of 10 tests after removing the highest (DL 16.6/UL 25) and the lowest (DL9.7, UL2.9)

Download (Mbps)

Upload

this is the most likely cause behind the pixelated performance I've run into, but never resulted in a complete drop.  I'll test more at home when I get a chance. 

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: April 04, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 04, 2014, 03:42:35 PM

missed the earlier response, but I don't have any suggestions unfortunately.  what's the Vita get for connection speed? 

Here's what I get at work, which based on the average of 10 tests after removing the highest (DL 16.6/UL 25) and the lowest (DL9.7, UL2.9)

Download (Mbps)

Upload

this is the most likely cause behind the pixelated performance I've run into, but never resulted in a complete drop.  I'll test more at home when I get a chance. 

I don't get it, but my Vita never gets more than 6 MB/s, even though everything else gets 20-24 MB/s
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: April 05, 2014, 02:37:13 PM »

I just pre-ordered MLB The Show 14!  First baseball game I've bought in a long time and can't wait. 

Slowing making my way through Infamous.  I normally don't get distracted in games, but this one seems to pull me all over the place.  I love the waypoint system and exploring Seattle is pretty awesome. 

Wake up.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: April 05, 2014, 03:41:05 PM »

Don't forget to hold on to your franchise mode saves.  Apparently those will be importable to next year's edition!

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2263 on: April 05, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 04, 2014, 03:45:32 PM

Download (Mbps)

Upload

I don't get it, but my Vita never gets more than 6 MB/s, even though everything else gets 20-24 MB/s
Here's my results at home, after 8 runs and no major variances
DL
UL

I won't get a chance to test this later, but I'll try to use up some of my bandwidth to drop DL down to what you are getting and then test remote play.   

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: April 05, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 05, 2014, 04:32:54 PM

missed the earlier response, but I don't have any suggestions unfortunately.  what's the Vita get for connection speed?  

Download (Mbps)

Upload

this is the most likely cause behind the pixelated performance I've run into, but never resulted in a complete drop.  I'll test more at home when I get a chance.  

DL
UL

I won't get a chance to test this later, but I'll try to use up some of my bandwidth to drop DL down to what you are getting and then test remote play.  

I wonder if my vita wifi is borked?  I just did a bunch of tests from my bedroom and my phone gets 24 mb down and 4.5 mb up.  Vita gets on average 3-4 mb down and 1-2 up.  I tried resetting all the vita settings and it still gets the same.  I wonder if my unit is defective.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:43:22 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2265 on: April 05, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 05, 2014, 05:18:22 PM

Quote from: Caine on April 05, 2014, 04:32:54 PM

Download (Mbps)

Upload

DL
UL

I wonder if my vita wifi is borked?  I just did a bunch of tests from my bedroom and my phone gets 24 mb down and 4.5 mb up.  Vita gets on average 3-4 mb down and 1-2 up.  I tried resetting all the vita settings and it still gets the same.  I wonder if my unit is defective.
not sure there.  fwiw, I get slower tests using speedtest.net through the pc, about 11.5 and 1.6.  not the best connection, but I'm not hosting anything.  I also ran the test with a clean bandwidth usage, so it's surprising that my pc tested lower than the vita. 

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: April 05, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »

Another developer claiming the PS4 is more powerful.

It is "physically impossible" for the Xbox One's graphical performance to catch up to what the PS4 is capable of, Just Add Water CEO Stewart Gilray has stated in an effort to dismiss inaccurate reports attributed to Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning.

A report on Xbox Achievements was titled, "Performance Gap Between Xbox One And PS4 Will Disappear, Says Oddworld Creator," but this is said to be inaccurate.

"Actually that is NOT what he said," Gilray told Worlds Factory. "I spoke to Lorne afterwards and what he meant when speaking to that guy was that budgets, schedules and perceivable differences would narrow, NOT that the Xbox One performance is improving to align with PS4, that is just physically impossible. The PS4 has MORE COMPUTE units, and faster memory and a whole bunch of things, that would make that physically impossible to happen."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/physically_impossible_for_xbox_one_performance_to_match_ps4_says_gilray_2.html

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: April 05, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »

It doesn't matter which console's penis is bigger. In the end it's what developers do with the hardware and what games are available. It's a real bummer when even the developers can't stay out of the console war rhetoric.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: April 06, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »

He's not saying Xbox One sucks he's simply pointing out that on the technical specs level there is a clear difference. That's the simple truth that many continually try to distort. Does that automatically mean the PS4 will "win" and have better games? No of course not.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2269 on: April 06, 2014, 02:55:50 AM »

Damn,  my console has a penis? All this time I have thought it was just the hard drive bay.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: April 07, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 05, 2014, 02:37:13 PM

I just pre-ordered MLB The Show 14!  First baseball game I've bought in a long time and can't wait.

I have a real desire to sell my XB1 just to get the PS4 for The Show. Love, love, love that game.

Now with huge buyers remorse with Titanfall, I have no reason to keep my XB1. Really wanting The Show.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: April 07, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »

I am not rooting against the XB1, however I did short MSFT the other day and feel pretty darn good about that trade.  (Not because of the XB1, due to windows 8, windows phone and the surface, and their total lack of understanding consumers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake up.
Harpua3

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2272 on: April 07, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 06, 2014, 02:55:50 AM

Damn,  my console has a penis? All this time I have thought it was just the hard drive bay.

My console has quad-penis processing power.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 16, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

@PlayStation: Thanks to you, PS4 hardware sales have surpassed 7 million units worldwide: http://t.co/QoMlbo7VOe http://t.co/w4xqhDBejf
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 17, 2014, 07:55:47 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 16, 2014, 10:42:21 PM

@PlayStation: Thanks to you, PS4 hardware sales have surpassed 7 million units worldwide: http://t.co/QoMlbo7VOe http://t.co/w4xqhDBejf

That's due to my quad-penis processing power. New to the interwebs? slywink
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 17, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »

Video clip editor coming in next update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsdLYIYsH8
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on April 17, 2014, 01:49:54 PM

Video clip editor coming in next update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsdLYIYsH8

Also usb saves for media so you can post pics or video anywhere

Best of all - software preloading. No more long download the day of release on digital. Woo hoo!!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 17, 2014, 04:15:04 PM »

Eurogamer has received confirmation from Activision that the XB1 version of The Amazing Spiderman 2 has been indefinitely postponed:

Quote from: Eurogamer
Activision has confirmed the postponement of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on Xbox One to Eurogamer but said it will collaborate with Microsoft "in an effort to release" the title at some point.

There's still no reason for the delay - and whether the game will actually release at all still seems in doubt.

I think Spiderman videogames have been on a speedy decline ever since Web of Shadows and have no intention of buying this anyway, but people keeping lists of next-gen exclusives can tally up one more.

-Autistic Angel

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: April 17, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 17, 2014, 04:15:04 PM

Eurogamer has received confirmation from Activision that the XB1 version of The Amazing Spiderman 2 has been indefinitely postponed:

Activision has confirmed the postponement of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on Xbox One to Eurogamer but said it will collaborate with Microsoft "in an effort to release" the title at some point.

There's still no reason for the delay - and whether the game will actually release at all still seems in doubt.

I think Spiderman videogames have been on a speedy decline ever since Web of Shadows and have no intention of buying this anyway, but people keeping lists of next-gen exclusives can tally up one more.

-Autistic Angel

This has the potential to send Sony fanbois into a flaming tornado of bone bashing. I have to admit it makes me curious as to why the Xbone version is the only one that is "postponed".

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2279 on: April 17, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 17, 2014, 04:15:04 PM

-Autistic Angel

er, wrong thread?  this should be posted to the XB1 thread, or more appropriately to the non-existent ASM2 thread

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: