http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:47:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 63284 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: January 07, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »

There's some hands on reports now

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-now-really-works--268582.phtml
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5284730/playstation-now-hands-on
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: January 07, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »

Couple of responses from PS BLOG:

+ Matthew Harper on January 7th, 2014 at 10:54 am said:
Hey boomstickbhg With PS Now, you can rent by title for specific games, or you can choose a subscription that delivers additional value with a wide variety of genres. For example, you can try out a game by rental first, before deciding to actually purchase the full game and download it to your console. We believe this streaming game service will add tons of value to dedicated game consoles in addition to packaged and downloaded games, and in doing so, we will open up a new world of possibilities across PlayStation platforms.
Of course, one of the big reasons we are offering a closed beta is to get feedback on all aspects of the service, including of course the experience with rentals and subscriptions, so we look forward to hearing more feedback from our community as we move through the beta.

+ Matthew Harper on January 7th, 2014 at 11:00 am said:
Good news! Your save files with PS Now games move with you from any PSN now enabled and supported device. With games hosted in the cloud, you can truly take your game with you just log in with you SEN account and your games and progress will be instantly available.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2002 on: January 07, 2014, 07:20:35 PM »

Hands on reports from a limited showcase are never going to be the real story with streaming tech.  OnLive and Gaikai both showed fine in limited demonstrations, it's how they do in the wild that determines whether people will be able to use them (or want to).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: January 07, 2014, 07:30:08 PM »

4.2million PS4s sold worldwide

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2004 on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »

In these times of silly console and service names, Playstation Now is actually a quite good one. I like it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: January 08, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »

So if you really want to play TLOU, you'll soon be able to do so without needing a PS3 or PS4? I wonder how smart of a move that is from Sony? I'm sure a lot of people who went years and years without feeling the need to own a PS3 ended up getting one so they could play TLOU.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: January 08, 2014, 02:14:36 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 08, 2014, 12:16:02 AM

So if you really want to play TLOU, you'll soon be able to do so without needing a PS3 or PS4? I wonder how smart of a move that is from Sony? I'm sure a lot of people who went years and years without feeling the need to own a PS3 ended up getting one so they could play TLOU.

Using that logic you should never buy anything in case something better comes out the next year or so.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2007 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »

Also, it's been shown that subscription and other online services are incredibly profitable. They want to get more people hooked into the PS infrastructure.

That said, I still think it's a mistake, bandwidth costs and congestion are increasing, this is effectively trying to roll out a minimal latency, high bandwidth service across every country.

It'll work in Japan and other highly developed parts of Asia where the internet there is blazing fast and high bandwidth.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 08, 2014, 09:30:56 AM

Also, it's been shown that subscription and other online services are incredibly profitable. They want to get more people hooked into the PS infrastructure.

That said, I still think it's a mistake, bandwidth costs and congestion are increasing, this is effectively trying to roll out a minimal latency, high bandwidth service across every country.

It'll work in Japan and other highly developed parts of Asia where the internet there is blazing fast and high bandwidth.

Yep, what I want to see is the minimum bandwidth needed to play a game. I'm going to guess it's a lot, since you are not only talking video and audio being sent to your screen, but input from your local controller being sent to the gaikai server, then coming back to your screen, and it all needing to happen instantly. Even minimal lag will suck. Fingers crossed for a a somewhat low bandwidth requirement.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 08, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 08, 2014, 01:45:40 PM

Yep, what I want to see is the minimum bandwidth needed to play a game. I'm going to guess it's a lot, since you are not only talking video and audio being sent to your screen, but input from your local controller being sent to the gaikai server, then coming back to your screen, and it all needing to happen instantly. Even minimal lag will suck. Fingers crossed for a a somewhat low bandwidth requirement.

Minimum is 5mbps.  I'm betting that "minimum" is a far way from "optimal" though.

My internet service is pretty high (about 10 times that), so I should be okay, but I can see why this service won't be for everyone.  If they tried to build the whole console platform around that, it would be a real issue, but as an add-on service (one where you'd expect that limitation, frankly), I don't think it'll be a big PR hurdle.

As a big BC player, I'm very excited about this and will gladly pay a subscription fee.

EDIT: Actually, the Sony guy on this IGN video says that 5mbps is "Recommended" which made it sound like a lower connection would still work, just not with the best latency.

God, the more I hear about this, the more excited I am about it.

This could be really huge.  Like, "change the industry" huge.  Or it could just be a neat thing.  Or it could not work at all.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:35:12 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: January 08, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »

People who have data caps be aware 5mbps is gonna use around 1.7 gigs per hour of play.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: January 08, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 08, 2014, 01:59:22 PM

Quote from: Scraper on January 08, 2014, 01:45:40 PM

Minimum is 5mbps.  I'm betting that "minimum" is a far way from "optimal" though.

My internet service is pretty high (about 10 times that), so I should be okay, but I can see why this service won't be for everyone.  If they tried to build the whole console platform around that, it would be a real issue, but as an add-on service (one where you'd expect that limitation, frankly), I don't think it'll be a big PR hurdle.

As a big BC player, I'm very excited about this and will gladly pay a subscription fee.

EDIT: Actually, the Sony guy on this IGN video says that 5mbps is "Recommended" which made it sound like a lower connection would still work, just not with the best latency.

God, the more I hear about this, the more excited I am about it.

This could be really huge.  Like, "change the industry" huge.  Or it could just be a neat thing.  Or it could not work at all.

This is the start of what analysts have been predicting. The next round of consoles won't resemble this gen at all. Why pack in $400 to $500 of hardware into a PS5 if you can simply sell a $100 machine that will stream the games?

Still it will take a better internet infrastructure in the US to make this successful. As it is most of the country has either really slow DSL (3 to 6mbps) or no  high speed at all. Anyone who lives outside city limits can confirm this.

Personally my speed is capped at 3mbps and I don't see it increasing any time soon.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: January 08, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

I'd be happy with a cheap consistent 3mbps right now...   icon_confused

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »

Gamestop is going to be so screwed.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: January 08, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 08, 2014, 05:48:33 PM

I'm not so sure.  This is serving people who have PS4s to be able to play PS, PS2, and PS3 games.  I don't think Gamestop even sells used PS games and I doubt the amount of PS2 games they sell is huge.  That leaves PS3 games, which this would affect, but I really think backwards compatibility is one of those things we all say we want, but the amount of times we go back and play older games isn't that huge.  I think if it was PS4 games they were doing this with (and maybe that will eventually come), it would be a bigger deal, but given the amount of PS3s out there, the decline in price of PS3s so that people who couldn't afford them, much less a PS4 keeping physical PS3 games as a desired product, the infancy of the PS4, etc....I think Gamestop is still okay.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: January 08, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »

Video of Last of US on PSP via PSNow
http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/08/streaming-the-last-of-us-on-vita
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: January 08, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 08, 2014, 05:56:26 PM

I'm not so sure.  This is serving people who have PS4s to be able to play PS, PS2, and PS3 games.  I don't think Gamestop even sells used PS games and I doubt the amount of PS2 games they sell is huge.  That leaves PS3 games, which this would affect, but I really think backwards compatibility is one of those things we all say we want, but the amount of times we go back and play older games isn't that huge.  I think if it was PS4 games they were doing this with (and maybe that will eventually come), it would be a bigger deal, but given the amount of PS3s out there, the decline in price of PS3s so that people who couldn't afford them, much less a PS4 keeping physical PS3 games as a desired product, the infancy of the PS4, etc....I think Gamestop is still okay.

I was playing PS2 games on my PS3 right up until the day my BC PS3 died.  So, yes, I do use BC a lot.

I think Jimmy was talking long term about GS being screwed.  As Scraper said, this is the beginning of the end for store gaming.  The writing has been on the brick and mortar wall for a while now, though.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: January 08, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »

I'm not so sure.  This is serving people who have PS4s to be able to play PS, PS2, and PS3 games.

The streaming can be used on about anything Sony. Even Bravia TV's will be able to do it.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: January 08, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 08, 2014, 07:09:29 PM

I'm not so sure.  This is serving people who have PS4s to be able to play PS, PS2, and PS3 games.

The streaming can be used on about anything Sony. Even Bravia TV's will be able to do it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that.  Still, it's not cannibalizing the future of Sony's software disc sales for PS4 titles.  They've already sold a ton of PS3 titles and while there are still games coming out for maybe a year or so on PS3, that will eventually mostly dry up.  Gamestop will still be able to sell discs to people with actual PS3s.

I'm not saying there won't be impact...I just don't think it will be dire enough for Gamestop to close their doors.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: January 08, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »

I'm not so sure.  This is serving people who have PS4s to be able to play PS, PS2, and PS3 games.

Not to mention tablets and phones of all types in the near future.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2020 on: January 08, 2014, 10:58:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 08, 2014, 08:09:41 PM

Those sound like terrible ways to play games made for a real controller.   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2021 on: January 09, 2014, 03:48:21 AM »

Which is why I'm pretty sure that the DS4 is going to get drivers and accessories for use with all those platforms, but first a PC driver so that PC users can use it.

I'd also like to point out that even if Playstation Now fails, the acquisition of Gaikai has still proven the right decision. Gaikai had a lot of network engineers and experience, including some crucial patents and technologies at the core of the PS4, including things like their compression and streaming technology used for recording, and just generally using the experience to work on PSN and setting up the global server network that Gaikai had but PSN wasn't good at.

This is more of an icing on the cake situation where they had an additional product that was incredibly useful.

This also doesn't mean emulation is out of the picture, or even some recompiled games for the service. Getting such a thing working would let them run games on virtual systems if they aren't already.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:08:41 AM by Turtle » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2022 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:13 AM »

I doubt that PC streaming is going to happen. It was mentioned earlier, but the Sony info doesn't indicate that they're planning on PC streaming. Frankly it would cannibalize their own hardware divisions.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: January 09, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 08, 2014, 10:58:20 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 08, 2014, 08:09:41 PM

I'm not so sure.  This is serving people who have PS4s to be able to play PS, PS2, and PS3 games.

Those sound like terrible ways to play games made for a real controller.   icon_confused

They've already said you'll be playing with a DS3 or DS4 in those cases, just like with the TV.

Quote from: Purge on January 09, 2014, 05:30:13 AM

I doubt that PC streaming is going to happen. It was mentioned earlier, but the Sony info doesn't indicate that they're planning on PC streaming. Frankly it would cannibalize their own hardware divisions.

Many would say the same about tablets and phones.  

Right at the start of the IGN video I mentioned earlier, the Sony guy talks about how this is a philosophical shift.  They're trying to solve the problem of immediacy.  They're basically moving beyond the console.  As I say, it could be huge.

Imagine playing a game on your PS4.  Save automatically to the cloud.  Going on vacation or a business trip, then hopping onto your tablet and picking up right where you left off.  It could change video games the way that Kindle changed books. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:05:00 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2024 on: January 09, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »

Many would be wrong, then. PC's rival (and can surpass) the experience of their own flagship. Additionally, with full DS4 support, it would eliminate the need to have a PS4. They do not want this - phones and tablets are an entirely different tactile experience and do not offer the precision or control that you'd otherwise expect.

This is the exact reason why Windows 8.0 sucked balls on anything other than a touchscreen interface (and is a far larger market test that would indicate why this is a bad idea).

Also, hopping onto a tablet to play a controller-based game with the same control elements? That's where Vita would make more sense (as it is basically a controller). Perhaps for some simpler games with only a few buttons, but even a PSone had more buttons than I'd want to deal with on a tablet with a touch interface.

Try Halo: Spartan Assault on a tablet / touchscreen interface. Using a controller is FAR more effective, and means you're not struggling with controls. As a consumer, I'm not interested in struggling with controls.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: January 09, 2014, 06:33:35 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 09, 2014, 06:29:59 PM

Many would be wrong, then. PC's rival (and can surpass) the experience of their own flagship. Additionally, with full DS4 support, it would eliminate the need to have a PS4.

The defacto controller on the PC for years now has been a 360 controller, and yet MS is still pumping out consoles.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2026 on: January 09, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »

Yes, but they haven't made their entire 360 Library available on PC. Also, PC gaming is (for the most part) a Windows platform.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »

I would rather download the games to my hard drive and play them locally so as not to worry about all the headaches I associate with streaming content. I don't want my games to stutter and/or look compressed, I don't want to attempt to play the game and discover the service is down or under maintenance, I don't want my broken ass PS4 to not be able to connect to my wifi and cockblock me from streaming games the way it does Netflix movies, I sure as hell don't want ads during loading scenes or anything of that nature.

I think this a great directional strategy, but rubber to pavement I don't think it's going to be a fun ride for a while. There are reasons that OnLive didn't catch and technical roadblocks were a significant factor. I'm rooting for Sony here, but until the streaming experience can match the local experience to a T, I won't touch it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »

The appeal to me is being able to play PS3 games on PS4, which with emulation being "impossible" makes streaming the only option.

I will be signing up for sure as I haven't played Last of Us and don't own a ps3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:28 PM »

Many would be wrong, then. PC's rival (and can surpass) the experience of their own flagship. Additionally, with full DS4 support, it would eliminate the need to have a PS4. They do not want this - phones and tablets are an entirely different tactile experience and do not offer the precision or control that you'd otherwise expect.

This is the exact reason why Windows 8.0 sucked balls on anything other than a touchscreen interface (and is a far larger market test that would indicate why this is a bad idea).

Also, hopping onto a tablet to play a controller-based game with the same control elements? That's where Vita would make more sense (as it is basically a controller). Perhaps for some simpler games with only a few buttons, but even a PSone had more buttons than I'd want to deal with on a tablet with a touch interface.

Try Halo: Spartan Assault on a tablet / touchscreen interface. Using a controller is FAR more effective, and means you're not struggling with controls. As a consumer, I'm not interested in struggling with controls.

I think you're missing what this is.  The tablets will be a screen only.  You will be using your DS3 to play the games.  It will not be touchscreen.  

Also, the unit isn't doing the processing.  It's a means of delivery.  It seems to be Sony's intention to get that delivery everywhere.  A PC screen is just another one (if they do it eventually).  PS Now is like the Netflix of older Playstation games.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:33:08 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: January 10, 2014, 02:37:29 AM »

Every other type of media we consume is going this route; it's not surprising that games might go the same way. We watch movies on our TVs, our phones, and our tablets. We sign up for music subscriptions so we can listen to whatever we want, whenever we want, on whatever we want. Consumers win with convenience. Companies win because they reduce piracy and keep control of their content on their own servers. It's a win-win, and even if the broadband infrastructure or technology isn't quite where it needs to be yet to make this perfect, it's an important first step.

It's also why believing that consoles should be offline capable with no DRM, etc. is completely delusional thinking. Video stores are extinct, CD players in cars are going extinct, the death of physical media has begun in earnest and it's not going to slow down.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: January 10, 2014, 02:50:52 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 10, 2014, 02:37:29 AM

It's also why believing that consoles should be offline capable with no DRM, etc. is completely delusional thinking. Video stores are extinct, CD players in cars are going extinct, the death of physical media has begun in earnest and it's not going to slow down.

That wasn't the core issue, it was that XB1 was a half measure where it should have been a full measure.  There were numerous other ways for them to handle it, the disks really would have been a convenience delivery system but MS totally mishandled the marketing.  Really they should have not even had game disks and shipped everysystem with a USB drive that you could bring down to your local Gamestop to load a game install on if your bandwidth was too slow.  You can't just suddenly tell people those game disks they've been buying for years behave differently, you need to change the presentation.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2032 on: January 10, 2014, 03:22:34 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 09, 2014, 11:28:28 PM

I think you're missing what this is.  The tablets will be a screen only.  You will be using your DS3 to play the games.  It will not be touchscreen.  

Also, the unit isn't doing the processing.  It's a means of delivery.  It seems to be Sony's intention to get that delivery everywhere.  A PC screen is just another one (if they do it eventually).  PS Now is like the Netflix of older Playstation games.

Having read up on it, I am now informed. I never thought the device was processing though - don't know where you got that impression. I was more than well aware of the concept of streaming earlier in this thread. Tongue

DS3, limited to (TVwise) the Bravia line. Are tablets and phones also limited to Sony line products? Also, I'm glad they're focusing on the PS3 content first. As much fun as some of the older games may be, they're not going to sell the wow to users with blocky PS1 games. I seem to remember them saying Gaikai is focused on "key games" - so they set my expectation at having well-received games being made available (first, at least).

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: January 10, 2014, 04:20:25 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken
You can't just suddenly tell people those game disks they've been buying for years behave differently, you need to change the presentation.

I agree that MS bungled their marketing, but my point was that gamers shouldn't think that because MS backed down this gen that they somehow "won" the war against online DRM and always-on connectivity. The only difference is that instead of being upfront about it, both Sony and MS will just stealth implement over time. Heck, in many ways they already have - we all know that the offline experience with either of these consoles is a pale shadow of the experience of being fully connected.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: January 10, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 10, 2014, 04:20:25 AM

Quote from: forgeforsaken
You can't just suddenly tell people those game disks they've been buying for years behave differently, you need to change the presentation.

I agree that MS bungled their marketing, but my point was that gamers shouldn't think that because MS backed down this gen that they somehow "won" the war against online DRM and always-on connectivity. The only difference is that instead of being upfront about it, both Sony and MS will just stealth implement over time. Heck, in many ways they already have - we all know that the offline experience with either of these consoles is a pale shadow of the experience of being fully connected.

While it's true that both of these consoles are meant to be always online and that this is the way of the future, we're not in that future yet.  And many people, many right here in these forums, do not have access to the type of connectivity that these things require for that status.

When Microsoft originally announced that the Xbone would need to be always connected, this made those people feel slighted.  When a Microsoft employee followed that up with the comment that those people should move, they felt insulted.  And then Mattrick, the company's head, actually did insult such people saying they had a product for them: the XBox 360. It added to a growing impression that Microsoft no longer gave a shit about the gamers.

It was all about impression, and it was handled poorly.  Of course, there were ways to make this happen smoothly without pissing people off (the suggestion of taking a USB drive to Gamestop is a great example of making it work).  Another way was how Sony has handled Playstation Now.

It may simply be a matter of timing as to when this thing is ready.  But the Beta is launching early enough into the launch, that this could have been a touted feature of the console.  Instead, they were vague about it.  Imagine if they had promised it at launch, though, and made it an integrated part of the system, adding that you would need a minimum 5mbps connection.  Those same people would have felt screwed.

By coming out with this later, as an add-on feature, not only is the perception better of both the console and this service, but PS Now gets its own moment in the spotlight.  It's smart marketing, and it's fun to watch.

This is the road to the future for gaming, for sure, but forcing people onto it is going to make folks grumpy.  People don't like change that's pushed on them. But if you let people hop on at their own speed, trying it out.  They'll come to like it and be ready when all of the roads are like this.  My metaphor may have gotten away from me, but I think it's clear enough what I'm trying to say.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:50:01 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2035 on: January 10, 2014, 04:11:08 PM »

that we should all drive less?  or that the road not traveled on is better and we should somehow all be playing Atari Jaguar X's?

Tongue

in all seriousness, this is how MS should have handled the online aspects from the start.  I believe that the launch situation would have been much better had they started with the vision they have now, rather than go through the retractions and ill will generated early on. 

this is how I would have phrased it from day 1:
Here's a kick-ass gaming platform that plays all the new games at higher resolutions and with more detail than before.  when connected to the internet, you'll be given the option to tie in your games to your system and go with a fully installed game or download complete from the store. 

if you add on the improved Kinect, you'll be able to fully unlock the capabilities with integrated voice commands, full video Skype chat and headset-less online chat.  Plus, you'll get a free 6-month subscription to a regularly updated fitness program and exclusive games and gameplay integration. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2036 on: January 10, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 10, 2014, 04:11:08 PM

that we should all drive less?  or that the road not traveled on is better and we should somehow all be playing Atari Jaguar X's?

Tongue

in all seriousness, this is how MS should have handled the online aspects from the start.  I believe that the launch situation would have been much better had they started with the vision they have now, rather than go through the retractions and ill will generated early on. 

this is how I would have phrased it from day 1:
Here's a kick-ass gaming platform that plays all the new games at higher resolutions and with more detail than before.  when connected to the internet, you'll be given the option to tie in your games to your system and go with a fully installed game or download complete from the store. 

if you add on the improved Kinect, you'll be able to fully unlock the capabilities with integrated voice commands, full video Skype chat and headset-less online chat.  Plus, you'll get a free 6-month subscription to a regularly updated fitness program and exclusive games and gameplay integration. 
I think this fits here:

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: January 10, 2014, 04:43:56 PM »

Here's the difference between what M$ pitched and PS Now. PS Now is OPTIONAL, you don't have to have it. Microsoft's original DRM plan REQUIRED you to use it. That's a big difference. Its the shove it down your throat approach compared to the the "hey try this out you might like it" approach.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: January 10, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »

Obviously the creator of the comic is not very smart since they can't really see the difference there.  XBox was making all games (including discs) require a connection.  Sony is having PS3 games (not PS4 games) need a connection to stream them (which how else could you possibly stream them, unless you are on the Internet).  If Sony was making this a requirement for PS4 games, then they'd be doing the same as MS.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: January 10, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »

Funny, but they're also not the same thing.  And there's the whole "shoving it down the consumer's throat" thing.

I was thinking about when MS was doing it right, and it occurred to me that the launch of Xbox Live was very similar to what's happening with PS Now.  It came out a little ways into the console's life, was well marketed and then integrated extremely well with both the console's image and the console itself.  Even without the hindsight we have now, it was clear that this was the way of the future.  That all consoles were going to have these features.  The others tried to follow suit quickly, but couldn't pull it off as well.  At that point, the fact that you had to pay for it didn't matter.  Partly because not everyone was ready for it (mentally or with their connection), and also because it was a la carte.

How could they have messed this go 'round up so sloppily?

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: