http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 12:32:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 70233 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 17, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »

Too bad abouit PSN being down, I only have Killzone on disc and it isn't keeping my attention at all.  I was thinking of buying AC4 off the PSN store but can't do that.  Killzone looks pretty good at least when I'm not being blinded by the massive overuse of lens flare but the game play is a bit off to me.  Figure XB1 is going to be my multiplayer platform of choice and need something to really show some of the PS4 goodness so AC4 seemed to be the best shot at that, Battlefield 4 was my other thought but again I'm leaning to Xbox for multiplayer.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1721 on: November 17, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »

Nah, I think PSN is going to match XB1 entirely this new generation. XBL had its downtimes as well, and we'll get past it.

Another thing i really like about the PS4 OS is that you can eaily see patch notes now for every game.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 17, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »

I do like the PS4 menus and such, seems pretty snappy and the game audio coming though the controller into my headset is probably my favorite feature.  Vita linking was super fast and easy but I can play using my computer monitor whenever I want so I don't see much remote play in my future.  I like my 360 controller better than the PS4 one but that is probably due to spending so much time with it, as stated earlier I too find my fingers in between R1 and R2 instead of falling onto R2/L2 and I'm more of a fan of the offset sticks as opposed to the PS4 setup, still it is a nice controller and I bet I will get used to it quickly.  Right now I'm happy to have the PS4.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 17, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 17, 2013, 09:53:08 AM

Another thing i really like about the PS4 OS is that you can eaily see patch notes now for every game.

Yup, that's nice. Something silly I miss? The hard drive access light.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 17, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »

Had a bit of a scare last night. Console locked up when I was in the settings menu. I pressed the power button to reboot and it beeped and then something really weird happened - it went to the login screen for DC Online, but still locked. Power button no longer did anything so I held my breath and pulled the plug. It booted up but with no video came on. Uh oh. Pulled the plug again and booted up in safe mode (hold down the power button). Finally came up ok.

I hope it's just firmware and they have a new release soon.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: November 17, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

Well this fucking blows, my console won't output to video anymore.  Been fine since I got it and I was playing this morning, went to standby, then went to turn it back on and no video.  I've tried multiple cables, I've tried bypassing receiver and going direct to tv and no video.  I can hear audio.  Tried safemode and it didn't do anything.  Really fucking sucks.

EDIT:  Couple of power recycles and now it's back.  Oh man I'm afraid to us it!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:38:21 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 17, 2013, 03:39:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 17, 2013, 03:30:59 PM

Well this fucking blows, my console won't output to video anymore.  Been fine since I got it and I was playing this morning, went to standby, then went to turn it back on and no video.  I've tried multiple cables, I've tried bypassing receiver and going direct to tv and no video.  I can hear audio.  Tried safemode and it didn't do anything.  Really fucking sucks.

sucks man.   Sony has been real quick in replacing units, so I hope they take care of you real quick

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: November 17, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »

I had one slight moment of panic with mine yesterday a.m.   It stopped outputting sound.   I turned it off and powered back on and everything was back to normal.   Otherwise,  mine has been pretty solid.  I'm pretty pleased with it so far. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: November 17, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 17, 2013, 01:01:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-OMi6RWpY
This video is getting me to upgrade to a 1TB SSHD. This was done on the PS3. I wonder if the PS4 difference will be as stark.
I found this speed comparison on IGN. There doesn't seem to be much of an advantage for BF4 but the load times for COD are basically cut in half. More evidence that IW are completely shit?
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

Also, changing the PS4 drive is child's play:
http://m.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Replace_a_PS4_Hard_Drive

Swapping drives was very easy.  Easier than with PS3, even (it had that very tiny blue screw that was easy to mangle).  I am already something like 20% filled on it, IIRC, so I'm very glad I made the swap.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: November 17, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 17, 2013, 04:21:39 PM

This video is getting me to upgrade to a 1TB SSHD. This was done on the PS3. I wonder if the PS4 difference will be as stark.
I found this speed comparison on IGN. There doesn't seem to be much of an advantage for BF4 but the load times for COD are basically cut in half. More evidence that IW are completely shit?
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

Swapping drives was very easy.  Easier than with PS3, even (it had that very tiny blue screw that was easy to mangle).  I am already something like 20% filled on it, IIRC, so I'm very glad I made the swap.

What drive did you end up going with?

-craig

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: November 18, 2013, 01:50:55 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 17, 2013, 03:30:59 PM

Well this fucking blows, my console won't output to video anymore.  Been fine since I got it and I was playing this morning, went to standby, then went to turn it back on and no video.  I've tried multiple cables, I've tried bypassing receiver and going direct to tv and no video.  I can hear audio.  Tried safemode and it didn't do anything.  Really fucking sucks.

EDIT:  Couple of power recycles and now it's back.  Oh man I'm afraid to us it!!!

Mine died tonight while watching a blu-ray. Can't get it back. Pissed.

mad

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1731 on: November 18, 2013, 02:17:23 AM »

Man, not good.  Obviously this is just a random sampling but that seems like a large number of problems reported for our small community already.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:06 AM »

Two of my Facebook friends have reported various failures with their launch PS4s as well.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1733 on: November 18, 2013, 03:35:51 AM »

I find it kind of weird that the game I have enjoyed the most, Knack, is the lowest rated launch game. 

Not that it's perfect by any means, and maybe the early reviews lowered my expectations and made me more accepting of it, but I feel like I must be taking crazy pills to have completed it yet not really wanting to play Killzone or AC4 much anymore.  retard

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: November 18, 2013, 03:56:37 AM »

Mine just scared me.  I left it downloading AC4 and when I came back 30 min later the PS4 had ejected my Killzone disc and I could hear the drive grinding every 15 secs.  I tried putting the unit in standby but that did nothing to solve the issue and the PS4 would not allow the KZ disc to be inserted.  I pulled the plug and after the PS4 rebooted in safe mode everything seemed to be working.  Don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this thing.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1735 on: November 18, 2013, 04:02:52 AM »

Oh god, the sky is falling.  

Seriously, I don't want my new console to crap out on me.   crybaby

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:31 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2013, 04:02:52 AM

I hardly consider my PS4 having issues is a case of being Chicken Little.  I suppose you may think I'm making it up?  There seems to be more than on forum user having problems and we aren't a large sample size. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1737 on: November 18, 2013, 05:11:15 AM »

No, but if this was happening (which it may still) on a console of a different make, the deluge of animated gifs having to do with red rings would bury the server IO. My guess is that people with the console experiencing problems have three things against them:

A) They just paid $400 and a day-one-ish console with months of buildup and partisan opinion built up.
B) It ain't cool to slam Sony
C) See B.

My pointing that out isn't an act of Schadenfreude - it really sucks to have a console die on you, and when I went into EB Games and gave up my pre-order* (IIRC there are at least 5 PS4 owners on staff so I don't need one for reviews) they had a few people already call to find out how to get replacements.

Let's hope Sony gets this one cleaned up ASAP - this Christmas, everyone should be having fun on their next-gen consoles.

*I actually waited for either a PM from anyone on GT, as well as if any moms or dads came in looking for one for christmas for their kid - but none when I was there and though I know the staff, I received no calls - and my 48h hold was up today.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: November 18, 2013, 05:17:08 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 18, 2013, 05:11:15 AM

No, but if this was happening (which it may still) on a console of a different make, the deluge of animated gifs having to do with red rings would bury the server IO. My guess is that people with the console experiencing problems have three things against them:

A) They just paid $400 and a day-one-ish console with months of buildup and partisan opinion built up.
C) See B.

yeah, I imagine there are people who would have their Ps4 die on them and act like everything is going swimmingly.

'Hey Hank, is your Ps4 on fire?'
'What?  no, it's not.  that's a feature.'
'but it's caught your drapes on fire.'
'oh, they're obviously substandard quality.  MS made them.'
'uhhh... well.. the tag did say Martha Stewart before it burned....'
'DON'T BE A FANBOY!!!  IT'S ALL GOOD!!!!'

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1739 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:02 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on November 18, 2013, 04:27:31 AM

I hardly consider my PS4 having issues is a case of being Chicken Little.  I suppose you may think I'm making it up?  There seems to be more than on forum user having problems and we aren't a large sample size. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to demean your issues at all (or anybody else's).  It was more a case of me getting worried about my PS4 with all the bad news floating around and probably using the wrong imagery for conveying that thought. 

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: November 18, 2013, 05:42:20 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2013, 05:28:02 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on November 18, 2013, 04:27:31 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to demean your issues at all (or anybody else's).  It was more a case of me getting worried about my PS4 with all the bad news floating around and probably using the wrong imagery for conveying that thought. 

I apologize for misreading your intent, I blame my PS4.   Tongue. I hope yours is trouble free and mine remains so as well after my safe reboot
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1741 on: November 18, 2013, 05:44:56 AM »

That said, at least production has been good. 1 Million sold, not just shipped, is a huge number for any device, and means more defects out there. And while that's sad and shouldn't happen, Sony will replace them with all the extras they have in production, and reports have been that Sony is on the ball with replacements.

Considering how much of a pass MS got for the red ring, only fair we give Sony the benefit of the doubt. No corporation is going to sit around and let this bad press stick, and there are always a level of consumer protection so soon after purchase.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1742 on: November 18, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »

Uhm, they got a pass for that? Must have missed the whole "billion dollars set aside" deal then. slywink

It sounds like this is a firmware issue more than a hardware issue though - and let's hope it's that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: November 18, 2013, 05:49:43 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 18, 2013, 05:47:00 AM

Uhm, they got a pass for that? Must have missed the whole "billion dollars set aside" deal then. slywink

plus all the pics, and jokes......  yeah, total pass there.  Only person I can think of who got a bigger pass was that Hitler bloke smile

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 18, 2013, 05:55:40 AM »

I think the "pass" was that people kept buying 360's even with all the return's. I had 2 360's die on me and I put up with the waiting because well I liked the games on it so I dealt with it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1745 on: November 18, 2013, 06:15:23 AM »

Yep, that and people just said, oh look, they spent a billion to deal with it, it's okay. Reality is, with failure rates as high as the 360s, it shouldn't have been sent to consumers in the first place, it took the press to really cover the story before MS decided to extend warranties.

Then to top it off, the next 2 revisions to the xbox still had problems. And people would still buy them.

So yes, they were given a pass. And if Sony plays its cards right, they'll get one too.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 18, 2013, 06:15:59 AM »

Looking back at the last generation, my console of choice was the Xbox 360. I vastly preferred the PS3 exclusives (Killzone, Infamous, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted, etc) but I've always preferred the Microsoft controller, so their console became my platform of choice for all third party software.

Would some of you mind giving feedback on the new PS4 controller? Some forums are calling it a significant improvement, while others are more subdued in their assessment.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1747 on: November 18, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »

It's a major improvement over the DS3 (dual shock 3) which brings it level in every way to the 360/XB1 controllers. At this point in the console race, there's little to distinguish controllers besides personal preference.

There are a lot of arguments over the whole asymmetrical to symmetrical stick layout, but that's personal preference at this point.

Should also note that the DS4 also his a bit more functionality over the XB1, albeit one that needs to be used properly. The touchpad is looking to be more useful than I thought, it's accurate and can be used as a button. Swipe gestures work fine so far.

Both the XB1 controller and DS4 have a positional marker for cameras to pick up, the XB1 has an IR emitter to signal the kinect camera where and which player it is. The DS4 has a light bar, that changes color to signal the same thing, but it also can double as a more powerful positional beacon to a camera, taking in way more movement data by processing the shape of the light bar like mocap beacons, but that assumes there will be games that make use of it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:24:43 AM by Turtle » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1748 on: November 18, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 18, 2013, 06:15:59 AM

Would some of you mind giving feedback on the new PS4 controller? Some forums are calling it a significant improvement, while others are more subdued in their assessment.

I definitely preferred the Xbox 360 controller over the PS3 one.  In fact, I'd probably call the 360 the best controller I've ever used and I actively avoided playing some games on the PS3 because I dislike the controller so much. 

Having said that, the PS4 controller is a huge improvement over the PS3 DualShock.  I wouldn't go so far as some to say that it's better than the 360's controller, but I used it for 12-15 hours this weekend and didn't have any problems.

The sticks have much better tension and "rims" around the top of the thumb sticks to make them a bit more like the concave 360 sticks.  They still have a weird bump in the center of them for some reason, but it's better than the fully convex PS3 sticks.

The triggers are at least shaped like real triggers this time.  They feel oddly small and slightly in the wrong spot for me.  And they still have the wider "face" than the part that depresses (if that makes sense), and the kind of sharp edges on them make them feel kind of cheap and less comfortable.

The D-pad seems great and I have no problems with it.  The touch-pad also seems pretty good and like it will be cool if games make good use of it. 

Overall, I'd say significant improvement is an adequate description.  Better than the 360 is personal judgement and doesn't fit for me.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: November 18, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »

I'm a little concerned about quality issues, not because I think things are out of control but because as I'm living in Japan and I ordered from the US things won't be quite so straightforward if it comes to getting Amazon to take it back. I really, really hope I'm in the 99.96%.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1750 on: November 18, 2013, 06:27:50 AM »

At that point I think you might be able to get SCEJ to handle any issues. Apparently, according to CheapyD of cheapassgamer, Japanese warranty support is incredibly snazzy, they send couriers to your door.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 18, 2013, 07:03:26 AM »

I think the DS4 is great and the sticks feel way better than the DS3 sticks.  There is much more tension to them.  The triggers are not as good as the 360 and they are in the wrong spot.  As mentioned in earlier threads, my fingers rest between the RL1 and RL2 buttons so it's not direct like the great 360 triggers.  Touch pad seems really nice too.  If you don't like the two lower sticks of the DS controllers, that hasn't changed either.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 18, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »

Well, perhaps this waiting till next year thing isn't so bad, if there are serious issues to be ironed out with the PS4. Lets hope its just a software issue and not hardware related.

A new one
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 18, 2013, 07:48:28 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 18, 2013, 05:11:15 AM

C) See B.

My pointing that out isn't an act of Schadenfreude - it really sucks to have a console die on you, and when I went into EB Games and gave up my pre-order* (IIRC there are at least 5 PS4 owners on staff so I don't need one for reviews) they had a few people already call to find out how to get replacements.

Let's hope Sony gets this one cleaned up ASAP - this Christmas, everyone should be having fun on their next-gen consoles.

Agreed. It's obviously difficult to get a failure rate right now, but it's not at all promising that the failure rate after 72 hours or so is not near zero.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 18, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »

My PS 4 has been sitting in a shipping facility in San Bernardino for two days now! Damn you lazy Americans, haven't you heard of working on a weekend!? smile
Curse Sony for releasing on a Friday and curse Amazon for not shipping overseas orders a couple of days early in order to avoid this kind of situation.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: November 18, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »

They've been busy playing it.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 18, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 17, 2013, 05:04:44 PM

I went with a Seagate Hybrid 1T.

The only hiccup I experienced was choosing Update in the safe mode boot menu instead of Reinitialize.  Caused a bit of a panic, but all was great in the end.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 18, 2013, 01:15:46 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 17, 2013, 05:04:44 PM

I went with a Seagate Hybrid 1T.

The only hiccup I experienced was choosing Update in the safe mode boot menu instead of Reinitialize.  Caused a bit of a panic, but all was great in the end.

Cool, thanks.

-craig

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 18, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »

My impressions after a weekend of play....

OH. MY. GOD.

This system is incredible.

First off lets get the bad out of the way: PSN was getting hammered this weekend. The "Whats New" page was blank for most of the weekend, but returned last night. Also, though my system has been running perfectly, I have heard that quite a few systems are going belly up. That is not good and this had better not turn into Red Ring of Death, Pt2.

Now, the good: Remote Play, Remote Play, Remote Play! Oh my god....this is incredible. I was excited for the prospect of remote play, but figured it would turn into what it was on the PS3...a lame, laggy mess that wasn't supported by 95% of the software released for the PS4. Oh my, was I wrong. This is incredible. First off, it is mandated by Sony for every single game on the PS4, that doesn't use the camera for control. That is very important. Devs have no choice but to include it. Secondly, it works perfectly. No lag at all. It's like the Wii U, except unlike the Wii U, it works while I am laying in bed! The Wii U's signal would cut out once I walked into my bedroom....but the PS4's remote play works....not only that, it works perfectly! I now have a portable PS4 that I can take anywhere in my house! I haven't tried it over the internet yet, but others have and it has worked pretty damn good. Last night I was watching Jeff Gerstmann from Giantbomb stream Need for Speed: Rivals on my PS4, via Remote play from my bed. It was awesome. This was how it went: I saw he was streaming from my "What's New" page, clicked on that and jumped right over to his "Live From Playstation" broadcast....all via Remote Play. Simple, easy and effective.

The UI itself is awesome. I love the look and the simplicity. Has all the social stuff I want....and none of the clutter. No sorting options yet, which is a big omission....but I am sure that sorting of your Library will be added in the future. I love the trophy rarity thing. Adds another level to trophy collecting. There is an awesome foundation here...and it's only going to be getting better. I can't wait to see what they do in the future with the system.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 18, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »

I really appreciate that the UI doesn't look like someone barfed Metro on my tv screen...with adds and other nonsense.  Having the ability to move things around, or hide apps would be good, especially for things I'll never use.  Having my games lined up for me to play as soon as I start is exactly what I wanted.

I'm really tempted to get a Vita so I can try the remote play in my house.  I was waiting because it sounded too good to be true.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: