http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:23:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 44029 times)
Jumangi, morlac, Zinfan (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: November 07, 2013, 09:06:22 PM »

thank's for clearing this up Purge.  I also have the output going from the tv to the receiver via the optical cable.  it's by necessity though as that receiver predates HDMI.  Guess it's time to start looking for a good 5.1 or higher unit that doesn't rely on external power for the speakers.  FWIW, I have a 5.1 speaker setup in the house with them recessed ceiling mounted. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 07, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 08:55:58 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on November 07, 2013, 08:53:38 PM

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 04:07:16 PM

I'm sure almost none of those apps will be available over here. Tongue

If not now, then I'm sure it will be soon. Amazon's been slowly rolling out their digital infrastructure in Canada, opening up options that haven't been previously available.

There's a HUGE difference between Canada and Europe when it comes to these things (and even some difference between the UK and mainland Europe too). Canada often gets very similar deals as the US (with some restrictions), while Europe tends to get pretty much nothing. Hell, even Netflix has still got that new smell to it since it was introduced over here last year.

Yep, I pretty much figured. You're not living in Canada are you? Because our options with Amazon's been limited until recently with their digital infrastructure. We're just starting to get some things that were previously were only available in the US through Amazon, like their appstore for instance, paving the way for the Kindle Fire. So, if you're not living in Canada, that means I misunderstood you thinking you were in Canada, as I was purely talking about availability in Canada.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:37:01 PM by Rumpy » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1322 on: November 07, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 07, 2013, 09:30:01 PM

If not now, then I'm sure it will be soon. Amazon's been slowly rolling out their digital infrastructure in Canada, opening up options that haven't been previously available.

There's a HUGE difference between Canada and Europe when it comes to these things (and even some difference between the UK and mainland Europe too). Canada often gets very similar deals as the US (with some restrictions), while Europe tends to get pretty much nothing. Hell, even Netflix has still got that new smell to it since it was introduced over here last year.

Yep, I pretty much figured. You're not living in Canada are you? Because our options with Amazon's been limited until recently with their digital infrastructure. We're just starting to get some things that were previously were only available in the US through Amazon, like their appstore for instance, paving the way for the Kindle Fire. So, if you're not living in Canada, that means I misunderstood you thinking you were in Canada, as I was purely talking about availability in Canada.

Heh, I thought everyone around here knew I'm from Norway at this point. Sorry about the confusion. Tongue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 07, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

Norway and Canada are pretty close to each other though, right?  You can't expect us Americans to get every detail right about all your countries down there.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 07, 2013, 10:13:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2013, 10:01:44 PM

Norway and Canada are pretty close to each other though, right?  You can't expect us Americans to get every detail right about all your countries down there.

wait, they're down under?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: November 07, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 09:48:45 PM

Heh, I thought everyone around here knew I'm from Norway at this point. Sorry about the confusion. Tongue

yeah, just like that Chef on the Muppets smile

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: November 07, 2013, 10:14:32 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 07, 2013, 07:20:00 PM

Confused moreso. retard

you shouldn't drink so much, or you shouldn't drink so less.  better?

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: November 07, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 07, 2013, 10:13:13 PM

no, he means down there, implying that they are short.  like asking a tall dude how the weather is. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 07, 2013, 11:50:46 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 07, 2013, 11:09:22 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 07, 2013, 10:13:13 PM

no, he means down there, implying that they are short.  like asking a tall dude how the weather is. 

ah, good, then I don't have to worry about them offering me a vegemite sandwich.

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 09:48:45 PM

No prob. I thought maybe you were at least Canadian living elsewhere, but maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. So many members smile  Yeah, I expect things in Norway are very much harder to get in terms of digitally as compared to Canada, but even Canada has had its struggles and is slowly starting to overcome those hurdles. We're very much not at the same level as the U.S when it comes to things like this. There are many more restrictions and limitations in terms of digital delivery. Hell, our local TV channel isn't even in HD yet.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1330 on: November 08, 2013, 03:21:58 AM »

Rumpy, what part of Canada are you in? My TV channel is in HD.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1331 on: November 08, 2013, 03:22:46 AM »

Also, I am VERY MUCH pulling your leg - you implied we have one channel.

I've got a bajillion channels of crap to chose from, many of which are HD.

I don't generally watch TV.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1332 on: November 08, 2013, 03:24:12 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 07, 2013, 09:06:22 PM

thank's for clearing this up Purge.  I also have the output going from the tv to the receiver via the optical cable.  it's by necessity though as that receiver predates HDMI.  Guess it's time to start looking for a good 5.1 or higher unit that doesn't rely on external power for the speakers.  FWIW, I have a 5.1 speaker setup in the house with them recessed ceiling mounted.  

Just move the optical from the TV side to the device (PS3,PS4, Xbone, 360, whatever) and then it should work fine. The only thing is you won't be piping the TV sound to the receiver anymore - if you have more than one optical in or an SPDIF port (single digital RCA jack) on your receiver and on your cable box, use that instead.

PS3 and 360 will output the optical as 5.1 while pushing 2.1 to the TV set via HDMI. You don't need to go buy new anything.

IF you don't have more than one optical in on your receiver, get a few more optical cables (one from each of your devices, including the TV) and this six dollar solution.

Much like dancing games, you will need to get off your ass to use it though. biggrin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:27:51 AM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: November 08, 2013, 03:33:36 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 08, 2013, 12:04:03 AM

I thought maybe you were at least Canadian living elsewhere, but maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

that would be Canuck.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: November 08, 2013, 03:34:04 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 03:22:46 AM

Also, I am VERY MUCH pulling your leg - you implied we have one channel.

I've got a bajillion channels of crap to chose from, many of which are HD.

I don't generally watch TV.
if only cable companies charged you by the channels you used.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: November 08, 2013, 03:34:36 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 03:24:12 AM

Much like dancing games, you will need to get off your ass to use it though. biggrin

or hire someone to play for you biggrin

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 08, 2013, 03:46:36 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 03:24:12 AM

Quote from: Caine on November 07, 2013, 09:06:22 PM

thank's for clearing this up Purge.  I also have the output going from the tv to the receiver via the optical cable.  it's by necessity though as that receiver predates HDMI.  Guess it's time to start looking for a good 5.1 or higher unit that doesn't rely on external power for the speakers.  FWIW, I have a 5.1 speaker setup in the house with them recessed ceiling mounted.  

Just move the optical from the TV side to the device (PS3,PS4, Xbone, 360, whatever) and then it should work fine. The only thing is you won't be piping the TV sound to the receiver anymore - if you have more than one optical in or an SPDIF port (single digital RCA jack) on your receiver and on your cable box, use that instead.

PS3 and 360 will output the optical as 5.1 while pushing 2.1 to the TV set via HDMI. You don't need to go buy new anything.

IF you don't have more than one optical in on your receiver, get a few more optical cables (one from each of your devices, including the TV) and this six dollar solution.

Good idea on that re-route.  the receiver has two, so I can always use it and swap between.  the PS3 will still pipe audio to it while over HDMI.  we just dumped cable as the combined cost comcast was charging was $190 and had jumped over $30 in the last three months with nary an explanation.  we are spending just over 60 now and only dropped cable, which only was used for AMC shows and nfl games.  I'll swap out the PS4 for the PS3 and keep it around primarily as a BD player only.  at least until the old receiver dies. 

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: November 08, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 03:21:58 AM

Rumpy, what part of Canada are you in? My TV channel is in HD.

Northern Ontario. Sudbury to be exact. It's one of the few CTV channels that has yet to go HD, and Bell has been rather reluctant, or at least taking their sweet time. But I talked to someone who works at the local station who tells me that plans are underway, and that it will be about a year before we see anything. It's rather important for the community, as it's also a hub, serving Timmins, Sault Saint Marie, and North Bay. And yeah, we do only have one local channel.

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2013, 03:33:36 AM

I thought maybe you were at least Canadian living elsewhere, but maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

that would be Canuck.

Ahh, I knew it! Thanks for setting me straight. smile
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:00:36 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1338 on: November 08, 2013, 05:20:22 AM »

There was one member from Brandon, and I'm in Winnipeg. Not that far, all things considered. We're not fancy like Kronovan(couver) IIRC.

Which reminds me -- I need to pick up a new Kenora dinner jacket for this winter.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 08, 2013, 05:31:37 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 08, 2013, 04:52:35 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2013, 03:33:36 AM

that would be Canuck.

Ahh, I knew it! Thanks for setting me straight. smile

it's OK, we all want to forget him as well icon_twisted

Because I can,
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 08, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »

I think I understand. NOT. So one says use receiver as a hub as I currently do and another says use audio out direct to the ps4...why am I so stupid and over think everything? That's the real question. nod
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: November 08, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

I've always found modern TV setups to be rather complicated, even when they're supposed to be simplified, so don't feel bad. You could always go with a B&W TV and use a splitter slywink Kidding.   icon_razz
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 08, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 08, 2013, 08:06:43 PM

I've always found modern TV setups to be rather complicated, even when they're supposed to be simplified, so don't feel bad. You could always go with a B&W TV and use a splitter slywink Kidding.   icon_razz

Wait, you mean we're not supposed to be using these to hook up our blu ray players?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: November 08, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 08, 2013, 07:30:16 AM

I think I understand. NOT. So one says use receiver as a hub as I currently do and another says use audio out direct to the ps4...why am I so stupid and over think everything? That's the real question. nod

Sources:
PS4
DVD/BD player
TV(ATSC tuner built-in)
Cable Box

Output:
TV - video
TV - 2 channel audio
Receiver - (7,6,5).1 audio

IF your receiver DOES NOT have HDMI, Do this:
1- PS4 ---HDMI---> TV
2- PS4 ---optical---> Reciever port 1
3- TV  ---optical---> Receiver port 2
4- otherSource --optical/SPDIF---> Receiver port 3
5- see 4

Step 3 is if you have your cable signal coming DIRECTLY through the TV, instead of a cable box first. Then, and only then, will your TV use greater-than 2.1 audio out to your stereo receiver. All other sources going INTO your TV will be downmixed to 2 channel audio because that is the speaker layout it has, and will negotiate with the various sources (via HDMI).

IF your receiver has HDMI, RUN ALL SOURCES into the receiver, and run it's HDMI out to the TV. As per Step 3 (and it's note above) - if your cable does directly into the TV with no cable box/sat box/DVR/etc in between, then the digital optical out on the TV should be run back to the receiver so that sound is also awesome. DO NOT USE THAT FOR YOUR OTHER SOURCES THOUGH. Instead, switch inputs on the receiver.

If you don't understand that, paypal me the money to fly over and I'll get it all wired up for you. biggrin
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:28:11 PM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 08, 2013, 10:50:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 08, 2013, 08:15:13 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on November 08, 2013, 08:06:43 PM

I've always found modern TV setups to be rather complicated, even when they're supposed to be simplified, so don't feel bad. You could always go with a B&W TV and use a splitter slywink Kidding.   icon_razz

Wait, you mean we're not supposed to be using these to hook up our blu ray players?

holy flashback Pugman!

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 11, 2013, 02:27:05 AM »

PS app should be out any day right?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:00 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 11, 2013, 02:27:05 AM

Nov 13th.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 11, 2013, 02:57:26 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 11, 2013, 02:37:00 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 11, 2013, 02:27:05 AM

Nov 13th.

Thank you!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 11, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »

Unboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQUpg795iBo
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »

Francis Unboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzdPh3utcg

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: November 11, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 11, 2013, 01:38:45 PM

I'm surprised he didn't try to eat it.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1351 on: November 11, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »

Mark Cerny talks to Kotaku about how caching/installing works on the PS4.

One little titbit at the end seems to reveal that the NDA for the system itself ends this wednesday at 9am ET, at which point we should get actual reviews of the hardware.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1352 on: November 11, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »

Impressions of Remote Play for Assassin's Creed 4.

TLDR: It works really well, and was easy to implement for the devs.

Edit: Got to add this:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:45:48 PM by TiLT » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: November 11, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »

Turns out the Vita can directly connect to the PS4 for Remote Play too, which means you don't have to use a router to communicate between them.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 11, 2013, 06:53:33 PM »

Remote play looks incredible!!

It really makes the Vita a portable PS4.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 11, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 11, 2013, 06:53:33 PM

Portable is debatable. I don't consider it that portable with the portability is the range of my home network.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 11, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 11, 2013, 07:07:24 PM

Portable is debatable. I don't consider it that portable with the portability is the range of my home network.

for me the qualification for 'portable' is simple: can I take it into the crapper with me?  is so, then it's portable.  I miss my old apartment where I could sit on the toilet with the door open and be able to play on the big screen though...

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 11, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2013, 07:09:36 PM

for me the qualification for 'portable' is simple: can I take it into the crapper with me?  is so, then it's portable.  I miss my old apartment where I could sit on the toilet with the door open and be able to play on the big screen though...

let me be the first to thank god for this on the eve of the Kinect 2...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 11, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 11, 2013, 06:53:33 PM

You can play over the internet. Nobody knows how well it works....but it is possible to do. Anyway, I'm just happy I can play PS4 while my wife or kids are watching TV....or can play upstairs without getting out of bed in the morning or whatever.

Anyway....so close.....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1359 on: November 11, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 11, 2013, 07:14:36 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2013, 07:09:36 PM

let me be the first to thank god for this on the eve of the Kinect 2...

New keyboard, you owe me.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: