http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 64870 times)
Jumangi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »

I don't get the not being given out to the press part in that quote. There have been many reviews already on AC IV and BF4 talking about the PS4 version from sites like Revision 3 and IGN among others so the press do have units.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 04, 2013, 10:46:25 PM »

The specific guy in question saying they're overheating didn't get one, he just wants a free PS4 it seems.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:46 PM »

This list was floating around soon after the initial announcement, all known Sony studios and what they might be working on.

I would like to see an equivalent list from MS though, not just to gloat, but to really see what MS has waiting.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 04, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 04, 2013, 10:14:31 PM

There's been a worrisome rumor over the last week or two that the PS4 has problems with overheating. It's been repeated on NeoGAF a couple of times, and Marcus Beer mentioned it in his latest Annoyed Gamer episode (he had heard the rumor. He didn't have personal experience with the problem). Despite all this, there wasn't any credible source to lean on, and nobody seemed to know anyone who could truly back the rumor up, despite the rumor saying that the claim came from multiple developers. This is also the reason I never reposted the rumor here. It was just too flimsy. I was waiting for some kind of confirmation.

I remember there were pervasive stories ahead of its release that the PS3 was prone to overheating.  They were eventually linked back to the fact that stores like Best Buy were encasing their demo units in airtight plastic shells and then wondering why they were howling like banshees and constantly crashing.  By contrast, I don't remember any prerelease rumors about the 360 having an effective 90% failure rate within 18-months.

Obviously those are different from the "multiple unnamed developers say...." type of rumor this appeared to be, but it was a good reminder that there's no substitute for for a good old worldwide release.  It's also the reason why I haven't ruled out buying an XBox One later this year -- if the PS4 actually did turn out to have some sort of fatal design defect, I'd reverse my console preferences in a heartbeat.

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 04, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 04, 2013, 10:57:46 PM

This list was floating around soon after the initial announcement, all known Sony studios and what they might be working on.

The bad news is, no matter what the next game in the series is actually called, it will never surpass my love of the title Tales of ??.

"Yes, you can help me.  I'm here to preorder a copy of 'Tales of Question Mark Question Mark.'"

It's just like seeing those screenshots of the Japanese version of Super Mario Sunshine.  No matter how many years go by, I've never stopped wishing that every level in the American release ended with the congratulatory message, "SHINE GET!"

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1285 on: November 04, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »

All Tales of games might as well be listed as Tales of ???, you never know if you're going to get a stinker, or a fun game.

I recall that Xbox demo units were having problems early on, which did prompt some discussion about reliability. But those got crushed by the overall excitement about there finally being a next gen system, then later in the fervor to (rightfully so) shame Sony for it's stupid PS3 launch policies.

There's enough hardware out there by now that any problems we'll start hearing about it early.

But when the only bad news is a PS4 that automatically shut itself down before any damage could occur from heat after being encased in a sealed plastic case. I think that's a good sign as the consoles of this gen will be better designed to manage heat.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: November 05, 2013, 05:42:46 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 04, 2013, 10:43:24 PM

I don't get the not being given out to the press part in that quote. There have been many reviews already on AC IV and BF4 talking about the PS4 version from sites like Revision 3 and IGN among others so the press do have units.

PS4 reviews so far have happened through so-called review events. Reviewers were invited to an event where they got to play the games for a few days, but they didn't receive PS4s to bring back to their offices. This is the source of such rumors as the one that was just debunked.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 05, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »

They have PS4 demos at our local Best Buy now, but to add fuel to the conspiracies the unit is locked in a cabinet and can't be seen. The Xbox demo kiosk has a real Xbox that is visible.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 05, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 05, 2013, 01:43:21 PM

They have PS4 demos at our local Best Buy now, but to add fuel to the conspiracies the unit is locked in a cabinet and can't be seen. The Xbox demo kiosk has a real Xbox that is visible.

The PS4 demos are actually running on an xbone!!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1289 on: November 05, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 05, 2013, 02:23:21 PM

The PS4 demos are actually running on an xbone at 720p upscaled!!!

FTFY.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »

they're running off the new iPad Air!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »

I believe they're keeping them out of sight because they aren't actual retail units. From what I've been told, no retail units have been spotted "in the wild" yet. Everything has been developer consoles. While the difference is minimal, it's probably enough for Sony not to want to show off things that might give the wrong impression of the final product.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1292 on: November 05, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2013, 07:40:10 PM

Or two PS3's duct taped together

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 05, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 05, 2013, 07:56:44 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 05, 2013, 07:40:10 PM

Or two PS3's duct taped together

maybe just a Chinese CGI company sweatshop drawing each frame as it is needed....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 07, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »

On topic but slightly off topic...it is relative to the ps4.

So I'm new to my landscape in my living room. Not the room, but the equiptment. Last year I got a new lg 47 led and a yamaha receive which I've been very happy with. Anywho, I'm confused about my setup. I have my tv hooked up to my receiver via hdmi. And audio out to my reciever bc I'm only using basic cable now. We only watched Netflix anyway. So Zero cable box. My 360, and ps3 before it, before it died, are/where hooked up via hdmi into hdmi 1 on my receiver. I select hdmi 1 on my tv to get a screen from the source. Then select hdmi 1 on my receiver to get audio for that source. Do I just hook up my ps4 to hdmi 2 on my reciever? Since I am using my receiver as a hub? Then select hdmi 2 on my receiver? That would make sense to most people. I sometimes don't have that luxury. The confusion lies somewhere around how hdmi is both a/v. Somehow I'm still confused. Any input? Pls.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1295 on: November 07, 2013, 09:05:58 AM »

HDMI contains both audio and video, so if both signals are supposed to go directly to your TV, it's as easy as it gets. HDMI from PS4 to receiver, HDMI from receiver to TV. Set the TV to the correct port (in your case, HDMI 2). Presto!
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 07, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 09:05:58 AM

HDMI contains both audio and video, so if both signals are supposed to go directly to your TV, it's as easy as it gets. HDMI from PS4 to receiver, HDMI from receiver to TV. Set the TV to the correct port (in your case, HDMI 2). Presto!
I'm actually running straight to my TV then using the TV optical out to my receiver.  I figure that's the best way to minimize input lag.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 07, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »

Launch apps
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/07/sony-confirms-apps-available-at-playstation-4-launch-in-us/

In addition to Sony's Music Unlimited and video service for 3rd party apps

US:
    Amazon Instant Video
    Crackle
    Crunchyroll
    EPIX®
    Hulu Plus
    NBA Game Time
    Netflix
    NHL GameCenter LIVE™
    Redbox Instant™
    VUDU
    YuppT
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:40:00 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 07, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 07, 2013, 03:38:16 PM

Launch apps
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/07/sony-confirms-apps-available-at-playstation-4-launch-in-us/

US:
    Amazon Instant Video
    Crackle
    Crunchyroll
    EPIX®
    Hulu Plus
    NBA Game Time
    Netflix
    NHL GameCenter LIVE™
    Redbox Instant™
    VUDU
    YuppT

You had me at Netflix

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 07, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 07, 2013, 03:45:37 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 07, 2013, 03:38:16 PM

Launch apps

US:
    Amazon Instant Video
    Crackle
    Crunchyroll
    EPIX®
    Hulu Plus
    NBA Game Time
    Netflix
    NHL GameCenter LIVE™
    Redbox Instant™
    VUDU
    YuppT

You had me at Netflix

Netflix and Amazon Instant are probably my most used apps (hell, most used anything) on the PS3.  I would be bummed if they weren't on the PS4 at launch.

I do hope the Netflix app gets a complete overhaul, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: November 07, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »

I'm glad to see Crunchyroll there.  I'd like to see Spotify but that seems highly unlikely frown
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1301 on: November 07, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »

I'm sure almost none of those apps will be available over here. Tongue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: November 07, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 04:07:16 PM

Well they have to tailor things per region.  I'm sure you'll get some apps at launch that we don't get to see...

Spoiler for Hiden:
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1303 on: November 07, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »

Ew, lutefisk! My parents still haven't managed to convince me to eat that filth.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 07, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 04:18:27 PM

Your stereotypes of me and my people are accurate.  Americans have an impeccable understanding of the world outside their own.

fixed that for you  icon_wink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1305 on: November 07, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2013, 04:25:55 PM

Your stereotypes of me and my people are accurate.  Americans have an impeccable understanding of the world outside their own.

That's how it reads in Canada too.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 07, 2013, 04:27:06 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2013, 04:25:55 PM

hosers, eh?  touques, eh? hosers touques poutine syrup igloos eh?

<sage nod>
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 07, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »

Full PS4 tear down
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/playstation4-teardown-video/
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 07, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 07, 2013, 03:34:27 PM

Quote from: TiLT on November 07, 2013, 09:05:58 AM

I'm actually running straight to my TV then using the TV optical out to my receiver.  I figure that's the best way to minimize input lag.

For what it's worth, input lag from modern HDMI passthroughs is all but nonexistent.  We upgraded to a new receiver a year ago and the total display lag measured by the calibration tool in Rock Band 3 dropped to something like 8 milliseconds.  Not even USMC Kato would be able to tell the difference at that point.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1309 on: November 07, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »

You actually don`t WANT the HDMI going to the TV set.

HDMI is a simple point-to-point negotiation, and almost no sets whatsoever offer Dolby Digital OUT from the TV.

Your receiver is `upscaling`your audio experience - the device to TV negotiates a 2.1 sound, then the output goes to your receiver which is then taking the 2.1 and creating ghost 5.1-7.1.

Device to receiver is best.  Tongue

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 07, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure some TVs (though definitely not all) will pass the digital signal, no?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 07, 2013, 06:15:41 PM

You actually don`t WANT the HDMI going to the TV set.

HDMI is a simple point-to-point negotiation, and almost no sets whatsoever offer Dolby Digital OUT from the TV.

Your receiver is `upscaling`your audio experience - the device to TV negotiates a 2.1 sound, then the output goes to your receiver which is then taking the 2.1 and creating ghost 5.1-7.1.

Device to receiver is best.  Tongue

Well consider me lucky then because my TV has a 5.1 optical out.  Though further reading you may be right, and the 5.1 out may only be for SMRT TV stuff like the Amazon and Netflix apps, I'll have to research it now, and maybe a recabling is in order...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:55:56 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: November 07, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »

Confused moreso. retard
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: November 07, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 07, 2013, 07:20:00 PM

Confused moreso. retard

My answer is the safest. The receiver is meant to be the "middleman" in your entertainment setup. Use it that way.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 07, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »

Basically Purge is right, and it's a good catch before hooking up my PS4 next week.  The TV I have does have 5.1 out, but for whatever reason it drops the HDMI in to 2.1 before it will pass it out (I think.)  The fact that the built in Amazon and Netflix apps do output in 5.1 pretty much led to me thinking all the output was 5.1, and I just haven't used the 360/PS3 on it enough to notice it wasn't 5.1 out.  But doing some research seems to imply that the audio passthrough is converted.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 07, 2013, 07:38:16 PM »

Most (if not all) TVs with an optical output only pass 5.1 audio out of that output when the Antenna/Coax input of the TV is being used.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1316 on: November 07, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 07, 2013, 06:45:00 PM

I'm pretty sure some TVs (though d

Definitely not all) will pass the digital signal, no?

Digital != Dolby unconverted digital signal.

Harpua, here it is simple:

HDMI communication is a handshake from device to device. It doesn`t `pass through`and establish to the next device (unlike, say computer networking where a device can `route`without actually processing the data)

There are some devices on the market that can fake it - but that happens rarely-to-never.

So when your -blah-device goes HDMI, it `talks`to the next thing in the chain.
That will negotiate and in the case of TVs, will say `I have 2.1 digital, send me that`. The optical out from your TV will process the sounds from the TV sources (including the LR sounds from your HDMI digital signal) and then send it out to your receiver.

Your receiver, if it has Dolby ProLogic (II, generally) it says : ooo, there is sound I can separate to create a 5.1 sound from this 2.1 sound source!) and lo, you have sounds coming from the back speakers.

Unfortunately, it`s crunched and compressed.

If you put optical out from your PS4 to your reciever, you will get all 5.1 sounds going to the receiver properly, and it will sound INFINITELY (probably a gross exaggeration slywink) better, as the sounds will not be sammiched in the middle.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 07, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 07, 2013, 07:41:15 PM

Quote from: gellar on November 07, 2013, 06:45:00 PM

I'm pretty sure some TVs (though d

Definitely not all) will pass the digital signal, no?

Digital != Dolby unconverted digital signal.

Yeah definitely. I just was under the impression that some TVs passed the unconverted signal straight through... not that I've ever done it.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 07, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

If not now, then I'm sure it will be soon. Amazon's been slowly rolling out their digital infrastructure in Canada, opening up options that haven't been previously available.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1319 on: November 07, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 07, 2013, 08:53:38 PM

If not now, then I'm sure it will be soon. Amazon's been slowly rolling out their digital infrastructure in Canada, opening up options that haven't been previously available.

There's a HUGE difference between Canada and Europe when it comes to these things (and even some difference between the UK and mainland Europe too). Canada often gets very similar deals as the US (with some restrictions), while Europe tends to get pretty much nothing. Hell, even Netflix has still got that new smell to it since it was introduced over here last year.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: