http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 08:01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 51984 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: October 26, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »

Keep in mind that family sharing was never officially announced, to be frank, just pushed out there as some hypothetical fallout of cancelling the DRM scheme.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 26, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 26, 2013, 07:13:17 AM

Quote from: Purge on October 26, 2013, 04:16:14 AM

The Vita? Not free. Not all game styles may fit (consider playing MP street-fighter type game on the same console). It's costing devs time and QA resources to shoehorn a product that has not proven itself on the market.

My impression was that the support was built into the system, so it hopefully doesn't require that much, other than to specify controls, etc.

Yep, it is all built into the hardware.

Here is a video of it in action. Some co-op Knack....one person on the Vita and one on the PS4. Looks incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQkOklRLtz4&hd=1

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: October 26, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »

Wow, I had completely missed this capability of Remote Play. Now I want to buy Knack. Tongue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 26, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »

I was just joking because it sounded similar to something they wanted to do from the beginning/
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 26, 2013, 03:19:31 PM »

Bummer the suspend/resume function won't be there at launch:

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game. We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s North America launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1205 on: October 26, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »

Yeah, I hope they patch it in fast. This is one of the things I kind of expect from the new generation, so it's a shame that Sony couldn't get it in for release.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 26, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 26, 2013, 04:16:14 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 25, 2013, 09:58:11 PM

That was different in that every PS3 had the six-axis controller whereas the Vita is something that not everyone has (obviously), and the games don't require the player to use it (which also keeps it from fracturing the user base). 

There were some instances of that for Kinect with the 360 (Skyrim's cool voice commands being a good example), but a lot of the Kinect stuff was less subtle.

You're supporting my argument, bullwinkle.

Since every console will have a DS4, it makes sense to require DS4 support. Hell, the SHARE button should be a requirement, since it is part of the base platform and a key benefit.

Motion controls? That doesn't fit every circumstance, and while YES there were 360 games that had Kinect support, for that point to be valid, you'd have to show how EVERY game since Kinect's launch REQUIRED some function of Kinect to get 360 licensing. That did not happen, and even with the XB1, the requirement to use Kinect is not there - it is simply available to be used.

Back at the PS3 launch, IIRC all games were required to have some sort of six axis control support... I don't recall which game had basically taken a shot at it, and I can't find a reference to it. There are over 110 games that currently support SixAxis motion control though - how many games can you think of where it was implemented well (I'm going to go with Flower on this - that was fantastic).

If the hardware comes with the console, one *could* require it. If it does not, however, then placing that requirement to try and sell your other products is pretty shady. Before you go all Kinect2.0 on me - remember developers are being encouraged to incorporate smartglass and Kinect - but there is no requirement to do so. Also, since smartglass is tablet/phone agnostic, to use it requires no defined product, and certainly not an MS one to leverage. AFAIK the new SmartGlass software is going to be free, just as the existing 360 version is.

The Vita? Not free. Not all game styles may fit (consider playing MP street-fighter type game on the same console). It's costing devs time and QA resources to shoehorn a product that has not proven itself on the market.

Ah, the old Making-My-Argument-For-Me Internet Trick. That's the second time I've fallen for it this month.

Your point was that requiring Vita was the same as requiring the sixaxis. My point was that it's different from that in that a) the Vita isn't ubiquitous and 2) the requirement doesn't affect players who don't have it.

Sixasis was the exact opposite of that. As you pointed out, the implementation was poor, but also every player had to deal with it.

My mentioning Kinect was an attempt to head the fractured user base thing off at the pass.  It was entirely separate from the first comment. I thought that was the basis of the argument you were calling back,though I may not be remembering correctly.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1207 on: October 26, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »

Speaking of Sixaxis, does anyone know if the new release of Flower on PS4 will still use the same control scheme or if they're opening up for more "conventional" controls? Flower is actually one of the games I'm looking the most forward to firing up on the new console. Those graphics in 1080p 60 fps will be glorious to behold. smile
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 26, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »

I got a DS4 controller when picking up Batman at Gamestop yesterday, because...why not?  It feels very nice.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1209 on: October 26, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »

Bullwinkle, my "FUB" comment was totally in jest.

The sixaxis "motion control" aspect was originally a Sony PS3 game requirement for all (retail iirc) games. I wasn't referring to supporting using the controller itself. Basically Sony was forcing PS3 devs to use the motion controls, even if they didn't want to / it didn't make sense. It's been such a long time ago, and I have no relevant links to prove that - I just remember it being so and a developer creating a stupid mini-game to mock/pass the requirement.

As for the Vita support, if the remote play were done on the console side (such as XB1's kinect / dashboard  / snap-to integration - as I understand the hardware dedication is laid out this way) then it isn't a concern - but by forcing devs to have to actually code for that? There's how many Vitas sold, and how many PS3s and how many PS4s? Vita will not be usurping the DS/3DS by forcing PS4 games to support remote play - hell, that kind of functionality has little-to-no place in MY life.

If there's a game I want to play, it will be on a big screen with big sound. I detest hand-held games for the most part. There are examples where some might say : oh, but playing an M title with your kid in the room (or me being in another room) is AWESOME!

I should instead be interacting with my kid, or if he's doing something on his own, then I'll set a better example and read a book,rather than showing him that it's OK to shut the world out to play GTAVI on my PS4 via a Vita.

Games I don't care for him seeing? They happen after bed-time. I also am very strict with the content he's exposed to - both I and his mother are not interested in him becoming glued to screens at 9. He's an outdoors kid, and I'd rather not him become a game zombie.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:41:50 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1210 on: October 26, 2013, 06:50:35 PM »

Here are some good news: New PS4 Details: Automatic Caching Games Not Install, Voice Commands Without PS Eye And More

In short, the huge install sizes we've been seeing aren't actually install sizes. They're the amount of disk space you need to have available when playing the game so that it can cache itself properly. There's no word of the actual install sizes yet, but those are likely considerably smaller than the 40-50 GB we thought we'd get.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1211 on: October 26, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »

Interesting. You know, all the tech they put into compression could pay off this gen.

Not only is the bluray drive faster in both systems, but both have built in data compression chips that encode and decode data on the fly, allowing compressed data to be read and written to memory.

That would effectively increase the data output from the drives.

But, I'm installing all my games.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: October 26, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 26, 2013, 08:10:14 PM

But, I'm installing all my games.

I believe installs are mandatory on both the PS4 and Xbox One, so you won't get to choose that. On the other hand, it's reasonable to assume that we might be able to do a full install of some sort, beyond what is necessary for the cache. We'll just have to wait and see. Sony has been very good about coming out with information these last few days, so we might get an answer to that sooner rather than later.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1213 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:49 PM »

Bleh, forgot to cancel my amazon extra DS4 order after picking one up from gamestop. Now I'll have 3 controllers.

On the other hand, I saw that more of the indie games I was interested in have 4 player modes.

And I know I'll be playing a future LBP3, along with Samurai Gunn (and hopefully Towerfall) when they come out.

Last gen I lamented the loss of couch-play games, mid-way through the generation. The last thing my friends played together that way was one of the crappy Conflict series games.

edit: Heh, those automatic links make me look like such a shill. Tongue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 29, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »

Got this this morning

And fuck if I didn't go ahead and order a 2nd DS4, even if it is rare that I play local multiplayer these days.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: October 31, 2013, 06:24:49 AM »

CVG

PlayStation 4 will not play audio CDs and does not support mp3 playback, Sony has confirmed.

While every past Sony console has supported audio CD playback, the PS4 will not. Those who wish to select their own music during games will need to use Sony's Music Unlimited streaming service.

Meanwhile, mp3 files will not be supported on the PlayStation 4, and nor will it support media servers or DLNA support, allowing media streaming from a PC.

Despite these announcements and the numerous customer complaints that have followed, comments made by Sony worldwide studios president Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter suggest the company is open to feedback.

"Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4," Yoshida wrote. "I'll share with the PS4 Dev team for future consideration."

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 31, 2013, 06:25:05 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 26, 2013, 09:02:49 PM

edit: Heh, those automatic links make me look like such a shill. Tongue

ban the shill!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1217 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »

Eh, considering I have a tablet and phone, both capable of playing music of all types, I'm fine with it. We're not in the age where you need a big box to play music anymore. Still would be a nice feature for some that still do though.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 31, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 31, 2013, 06:41:37 AM

Eh, considering I have a tablet and phone, both capable of playing music of all types, I'm fine with it. We're not in the age where you need a big box to play music anymore. Still would be a nice feature for some that still do though.

Its just as much the streaming feature we're annoyed is being cut (As in, it was in the PS3, not in the PS4), i.e. the DLNA.

A new one
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 31, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »

I remember when I used to stream stuff like 4 years ago. It was shit though either due to my PC or the ps3. Then I plugged in a 1TB HD. Streaming is for suckers. Of course I'm still screwed because ext. Hard drives aren't supported. Sounds like Sony will backtrack on the PS3 stuff. Hopefully they backtrack on the HD stuff too.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 31, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »

Will be interested to see if Sony will change policies because of feedback with the PS4. This no DLNA, no MP3 stuff is clearly not tech related but business so as to try and drive business to their online music and video services. For all the crap MS took about things I'll give them credit for making a number of changes to get back on the good side with users.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1221 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »

Well, the latest tweet from Shuhei Yoshida is promising, at least:

Had a very good discussion w the PS4 Dev team today. We're happy & appreciative to learn so many people use and like PS3's media features.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 31, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »

If you look at Yosp's twitter things are already trending to a change.  Sony have been very fast in responding to the uproar.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 31, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »

I have been very critical of MS' backtracking so it would be hypocritical of me to praise Sony for doing the same thing so I'm going to not just say anything at all. smile
That said if you're going to backtrack it's better to do it on the same day as the bad news is released rather than to wait for it to snowball.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1224 on: October 31, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »

are they consciously disabling/not providing some sort of hardware/software support for the CD-layer laser in the Blu-Ray drive on the PS4, or not at all including it in the manufacture of the drive? i'm guessing the former.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1225 on: October 31, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 31, 2013, 02:10:06 PM

If you look at Yosp's twitter things are already trending to a change.  Sony have been very fast in responding to the uproar.

Their current strategy is to piss off the customer base LESS than Microsoft - they can do what they want otherwise. slywink

Video streaming I care about - music streaming? No. The only time I use music (MP3s) on my consoles is to play games like Dynasty Warriors-like games where the provided music is abysmal.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 31, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »

You could always make your own music slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1227 on: October 31, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »

Looks like we can add another game to the PS4 launch title list:

DC Universe Online launch date confirmed
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1228 on: October 31, 2013, 11:43:58 PM »

It's kind of silly that Sony were the ones that started the DLNA initiative and are now not even supporting it in their new console.  Considering I use that all the time to stream video from my PC to my PS3 (both with PlayOn for Hulu, etc and for downloaded media) that is a real bummer for me.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 01, 2013, 07:28:50 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 31, 2013, 08:11:29 PM

Looks like we can add another game to the PS4 launch title list:

DC Universe Online launch date confirmed

Thats pretty nice - I actually really like this game, even if it bogs down at endlevel.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1230 on: November 01, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »

The PS4 FAQ has been updated with some new information about DLNA and MP3s. The answers are the same as before, but they've now added this little snippet to both of them:

*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.

Not anywhere near conclusive, but at least they're communicating that these things aren't necessarily set in stone. An unreliable news site reported that they'd talked to Sony and been told that MP3 support would be added in the second firmware update. Since they're not a reliable source I won't give them the benefit of a link that would have given them clicks.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 01, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »

So....Do we know if there will be supply issues come launch day?

I still have my order on the ps4 reserved but I'm intending on cancelling....  However if we're going to see what we saw on the last generation where people were paying $200+ over the retail cost, I'm all down to take advantage of people's craziness on ebay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1232 on: November 01, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 01, 2013, 03:38:33 PM

So....Do we know if there will be supply issues come launch day?

I don't know about the US, but I know for sure that there are major supply problems in Norway. Then again, we're obviously not prioritized. Anyone who preordered after June around here will be lucky to get a console at launch.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 01, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »

Does that new-ish stereo headset released for the PS3 work with the PS4?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1234 on: November 01, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2013, 10:26:54 PM

I don't think so. The PS4 FAQ probably answers your question in detail. Even if it doesn't work, it'll probably be patched in early on.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 01, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 01, 2013, 10:28:29 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 01, 2013, 10:26:54 PM

I don't think so. The PS4 FAQ probably answers your question in detail. Even if it doesn't work, it'll probably be patched in early on.

Thanks looks like in a future update:

Q:Will Wireless Stereo Headset and PULSE wireless stereo headset – Elite Edition, which are currently sold for PS3, work on PS4 at launch in North America? What about other wireless headsets?
A:PS4 will support the Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset and Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset – Elite Edition following an upcoming PS4 system software update. Existing wireless headsets from third-party companies that use a Bluetooth connection will not be supported on PS4, though most USB headsets will be supported following PS4 system software update 1.50.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 01, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »

Apparently Sony thinks they can sell 5 million units by April.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-sony-believes-5-million-ps4-shipments-by-april-is-reachable/1100-6415912/
Is that achievable? A million units a month for 5 months seems ambitious.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 01, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »

Microsoft is predicting about the same for Xbox One, as EA is forecasting 10 million units sold by March between Xbox One and PS4 combined. I think MS has a harder climb ahead due to price alone, much less the momentum Sony already has, but I don't think they'll be significantly far behind.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 02, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 01, 2013, 11:51:11 PM

Apparently Sony thinks they can sell 5 million units by April.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-sony-believes-5-million-ps4-shipments-by-april-is-reachable/1100-6415912/
Is that achievable? A million units a month for 5 months seems ambitious.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say 4 million for MS and 6 million for Sony by April.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 02, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »

Guess I'll post this here as I don't want to ruin the good feelings in the which one are you buying thread and don't want to be accused of thread crapping the xbox thread.
It sounds like people who are seeing these games in person are seeing a much starker difference between the consoles than people (myself included) are seeing on the YouTube videos. I haven't had a chance to read the whole article yet but the first part is very damming for Microsoft.

While Digital Foundry has yet to see either next-gen version of Call of Duty, our experience with Battlefield 4 demonstrates that you can easily see the visual difference between them. The Xbox One version holds up well given the gulf in resolution, but it doesn't require a pixel counter to tell that the PS4 game is crisper and cleaner either. At last week's Battlefield 4 review event in Stockholm, we noted that the resolution change from one version to the next was obvious to many of the press in attendance, with some even suggesting on-site that the PS4 version was operating at native 1080p when its actual resolution was 1600x900.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resolutiongate-the-fallout
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: