http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:11:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 57640 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1160 on: October 16, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »

Put this strictly in the rumor category, but there are rumblings of Drive Club being delayed now too.   icon_confused

Also, RUMOR. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: October 17, 2013, 04:46:16 AM »

I really hope that's not true, as the PS4 launch lineup would take a big hit from losing Driveclub, they'd have to scramble to get something else on PS+, and it's one of the games I was looking forward to playing.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1162 on: October 25, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »

Sony just posted information about the day 1 firmware patch for the PS4. It's good to see them being early with this kind of information, though I think a lot of people are going to be confused about having to download a patch to get what we've been promised from the beginning. These things have probably been given work up until the final moment due to the tight deadlines both Sony and Microsoft ended up giving themselves.

Anyway, here are the patch details:

We wanted to shed some light on system software update version 1.50 for PS4, which will launch simultaneously with the system’s official North American launch on November 15th, 2013. By updating to system software version 1.50, you’ll be able to experience a variety of new features in addition to the basic functions of PS4.

The system software update 1.50 is approximately 300 MB, and will include the following features:

Remote Play
Users will be able to access PS4 titles displayed on their living room TVs and play them on a PS Vita system over Wi-Fi networks by using PS4 Link (Depending on network environment or titles, remote play performance may vary outside of the home). We anticipate that most PS4 titles will be playable on the PS Vita system through Remote Play. The latest PS Vita system software version, to be released soon, will be required to use PS4 Link.

Second Screen
Users can use the PS4 Link application for the PS Vita system, and PlayStation App for iPhone, iPad, and Android-based smartphones and tablets, to use these devices as second screens in supported titles. PlayStation App has the ability to enable users to interact with games with their mobiles devices. For example on The Playroom, a title pre-installed in all PS4 systems that requires PlayStation Camera, users can draw pictures on their mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.

Record, take screenshots, and upload gameplay effortlessly
The PS4 system provides dedicated, “always on” video encoding systems that enables seamless uploading of gameplay. Users can share their epic triumphs by simply hitting the Share button on DualShock 4, take screenshots or scan through the last 15 minutes of gameplay, tag it and return to the game—the video uploads as the user plays. At the PS4 system’s launch in North America, users will be able to share their images and videos with friends on Facebook and screenshots with followers on Twitter, though users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Facebook and Twitter.

Broadcast and spectate gameplay
The PS4 system also enhances social spectating by enabling users to broadcast their gameplay in real-time to game fans around the globe, using Ustream and Twitch live internet streaming services (users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Ustream and Twitch). There are two ways for users to view live broadcasts. First, the Live from PlayStation application on PS4 aggregates streams from all PlayStation users. Second, users can spectate friends’ PS4 gameplay from PCs, and applications such as Ustream, Twitch, and browsers, which are installed on their mobile devices. These applications can be easily started up via PlayStation App, and users can also use these applications to post comments to gameplay broadcasts. Furthermore, users with PlayStation Camera can stream camera images and microphone sounds along with their live gameplay broadcast.

Play as you download
This feature enables users to play supported digital titles as they are being downloaded. The time it takes to begin playing will vary depending on game data size and network environments, and not all titles will support this feature When a game is purchased, users can start playing after PS4 downloads a portion of the data, while the rest of the game is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay. Games may be downloaded in stand-by mode.

Multi log-in
A maximum of four users can log-in to a single PS4 system simultaneously. These players can use their own save data to play games, and also earn trophies on their own Sony Entertainment Network accounts even when playing a multiplayer game together on a single PS4 system.

Party (Voice chat)
By using the Mono Headset bundled with the PS4 system, users will be able to chat with up to eight friends enjoying different applications or games. Furthermore, users can use Party to chat between PS4 and PS Vita systems.

Face recognition and voice commands
Users with PlayStation Camera will be able to register their facial image onto their PS4 system, and login to their system using facial recognition instead of DualShock 4. Furthermore, users can use either the microphone of the Mono Head set connected to DualShock 4, or PlayStation Camera to navigate through the PS4 home screen (PlayStation Dynamic Menu) with voice commands to start up games and shutdown the system, among other features; please refer to PS4’s online manual for recognizable voice commands.

Background music player
Users can enjoy gameplay while listening to music in the background with Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service. Users can also voice chat with friends while listening to music. Learn more about Music Unlimited here.

Online Multiplayer
PlayStation Plus members will be able to play PS4 titles online with other players via the network. PS Plus makes it easy for members to join available online multiplayer matches in a variety of ways, including the ability to easily join a game from a live stream broadcast or Party voice chats.

Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game. We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s North America launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 25, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »

Do we know what the Blu Ray disc drive is like this time?,on the PS3 its quite slow for loading up Blu Ray movies

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 25, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »

I think a day one patch is to be expected .. not sure i understand some of the teeth gnashing I'm seeing on the web

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 25, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 25, 2013, 03:47:44 PM

I think a day one patch is to be expected .. not sure i understand some of the teeth gnashing I'm seeing on the web
Yeah XB1 has one as well.  I think the gnashing is people just want to turn it on and play, heck that's why I got the BluRay version of Killzone, as I don't want to wait for that 50gb to download after hooking the PS4 up to my TV.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 25, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »

Yeah agreed.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 25, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 25, 2013, 03:51:15 PM

Yeah agreed.

ditto.  they'll be working on stuff until launch day even though the units are shipping.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 25, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »

Plus the innate fear that the update servers are going to be overloaded.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 25, 2013, 04:15:55 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 25, 2013, 03:54:13 PM

very valid point

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1170 on: October 25, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 25, 2013, 04:15:55 PM

very valid point

isn't this part of the Wii U release day stumble?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1171 on: October 25, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 25, 2013, 05:15:12 PM

very valid point

Nintendo isn't exactly very experienced with online solutions though. Sony is.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 25, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »

very valid point

isn't this part of any Wii U/SimCity/any MMO/Diablo 3 release day stumble?

FTFY.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1173 on: October 25, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2013, 05:17:31 PM

very valid point

FTFY.

+1 internets to you sir

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1174 on: October 25, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 25, 2013, 05:17:21 PM

very valid point

Uhm... all of them have had stumbles at some point, Sony included which means "It's Sony" doesn't invalidate the concern of a day one update. (and that stretches across the board for EVERY game/console that requires this).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1175 on: October 25, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 25, 2013, 05:29:38 PM

very valid point

Uhm... all of them have had stumbles at some point, Sony included which means "It's Sony" doesn't invalidate the concern of a day one update. (and that stretches across the board for EVERY game/console that requires this).

I'm sorry, didn't you read my post properly? I wasn't talking about stumbles. I was talking about experience.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 25, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »

Yep, that is my fear! I am really excited for Remote Play though. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 25, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

I could really almost taste the potential with remote play back when the PSP was new and I could get to a few places on my PS3 using it.

I really hope it lives up to it's potential with my Vita this time around!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1178 on: October 25, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 25, 2013, 06:51:20 PM

I could really almost taste the potential with remote play back when the PSP was new and I could get to a few places on my PS3 using it.

I would have considered it doomed to failure from day one if it wasn't mandatory on the PS4. That's its one, shining hope. The Vita has been having some good momentum lately. It'll be very interesting to see if this can be turned into a hurricane or if it'll turn out to just be a fart in the wind.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1179 on: October 25, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 25, 2013, 06:29:37 PM

very valid point

I'm sorry, didn't you read my post properly? I wasn't talking about stumbles. I was talking about experience.

.... and you were dismissing concerns over day one patching. Your reasoning is not sound.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: October 25, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 25, 2013, 07:21:33 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 25, 2013, 06:29:37 PM

very valid point

.... and you were dismissing concerns over day one patching. Your reasoning is not sound.

No I wasn't. I was dismissing Nintendo's experience in running online solutions. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything else came out of your (amazingly wild) imagination.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: October 25, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »

Your express statement is:

"Nintendo isn't exactly very experienced with online solutions though."
This explicitly states that Nintendo`s stumble is due to their lack of experience with online solutions.

"Sony is."
This states then that Sony`s experience will negate that concern.

This assessment requires ZERO imagination.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 25, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 25, 2013, 06:53:40 PM

I would have considered it doomed to failure from day one if it wasn't mandatory on the PS4. That's its one, shining hope. The Vita has been having some good momentum lately. It'll be very interesting to see if this can be turned into a hurricane or if it'll turn out to just be a fart in the wind.

Yeah, the fact that it is mandatory for all PS4 titles (except for ones that use the camera) is huge. No excuses for devs anymore....it has to work and work well.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1183 on: October 25, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 25, 2013, 08:28:52 PM

Yeah, the fact that it is mandatory for all PS4 titles (except for ones that use the camera) is huge. No excuses for devs anymore....it has to work and work well.

... so they don't have a fractured base? slywink

Reminds me of the Six-Axis requirement for the early days of PS3.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1184 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »

Apparently there's a lot of PS3 games that work just fine for the DS4, except for the PS button and motion sensors not working. Last of Us works well, as does battlefield, but sadly GTA5 doesn't work at all.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: October 25, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 25, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2013, 05:17:31 PM

very valid point

FTFY.

+1 internets to you sir
woohoo!

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 25, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »

Playstation App will be out on November 12th!

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/10/25/playstation-app-releases-on-november-12th-in-north-america-and-november-22nd-in-europe/

This is what you can do with the app at launch...

Directly Access Various PSN Features and Information
•You can access your profile screen.
•You can access/compare their own and friends’ Trophy accomplishments.
•Exchange messages between PS4 systems, PS3 systems, PS Vita systems, and mobile devices installed with PlayStation App.
•Access and filter friend profiles.
•Notify users about their friends’ shared activities on “What’s New”.
•Notify PS4 users when they receive any new notifications or game invitations. Users can also display their lists of game items.

Browse the PlayStation Website and Access Info
•You can access the PlayStation official website to browse through news, blogs and game information. The language and content depends on your country.

PS4 Second Screen Feature
•The PlayStation App can be used with PS4 games that support second screen functions.
•For example on The PlayRoom, a title pre-installed on all PS4s (requires PlayStation Camera), you can draw pictures on your mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.

Spectate Other PS4 Users’ Gameplay
•When your friends upload or begin live streaming their gameplay on PS4 systems, the friends’ activities are displayed on “What’s New” of the PlayStation App screen. When you tap on this notification, you can boot pre-installed applications, such as browsers, to spectate the uploaded gameplay. Users can also post comments on gameplay screenshots, footage and live streams.

Purchase Game Content on PlayStation Store
•You can purchase game content while away from home and download it directly onto their PS4, PS3, and PS Vita (PS+required for PS Vita) systems.

Use a Mobile Device as a Simple Remote to Control the PS4 System
•Once installed, you can use your PlayStation App to control the PS4 as long as both devices have access to the same Wi-Fi access point. For example, you can switch your PS4 system to standby mode, startup your PS4 system from standby mode, and use your mobile phone as a keyboard for their PS4 system.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 25, 2013, 08:57:33 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 25, 2013, 08:28:52 PM

... so they don't have a fractured base? slywink

Reminds me of the Six-Axis requirement for the early days of PS3.

That was different in that every PS3 had the six-axis controller whereas the Vita is something that not everyone has (obviously), and the games don't require the player to use it (which also keeps it from fracturing the user base). 

There were some instances of that for Kinect with the 360 (Skyrim's cool voice commands being a good example), but a lot of the Kinect stuff was less subtle.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 25, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »

Yeah, it's not something that is mandatory to play the game, like the Kinect or Sixaxis....but if you do have it, hot damn it will be awesome!  smile

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 25, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »

I'd much prefer if there was no day one patch but its entirely understandable that there is.

Of course I'll be overseas until the Monday after launch, so any negative effects won't hit me, other than the fact that I can't play until Monday.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

"For the analog sticks, we did test having the analog sticks on top, since the Xbox has the left side on top [above the D-pad]," Sony's Toshimasa Aoki said. "Especially from the shooter teams--we got feedback that that's what they wanted. They knew that consumers liked the 360 for shooters."

dangit Sony, release a version of that in limited release, see how it sells, and it it takes off offer it as an alternative.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 26, 2013, 12:26:53 AM

"For the analog sticks, we did test having the analog sticks on top, since the Xbox has the left side on top [above the D-pad]," Sony's Toshimasa Aoki said. "Especially from the shooter teams--we got feedback that that's what they wanted. They knew that consumers liked the 360 for shooters."

dangit Sony, release a version of that in limited release, see how it sells, and it it takes off offer it as an alternative.

I'd by one, probably, but I'd prefer offset to both on top.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 26, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »

UGH. "People said they liked the offset sticks better but you know, tradition, so, WHATEVA."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 26, 2013, 02:44:47 AM »

PS4 FAQ

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/ps4-faq/

Some interesting info in it...

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1194 on: October 26, 2013, 04:16:14 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 25, 2013, 09:58:11 PM

That was different in that every PS3 had the six-axis controller whereas the Vita is something that not everyone has (obviously), and the games don't require the player to use it (which also keeps it from fracturing the user base). 

There were some instances of that for Kinect with the 360 (Skyrim's cool voice commands being a good example), but a lot of the Kinect stuff was less subtle.

You're supporting my argument, bullwinkle.

Since every console will have a DS4, it makes sense to require DS4 support. Hell, the SHARE button should be a requirement, since it is part of the base platform and a key benefit.

Motion controls? That doesn't fit every circumstance, and while YES there were 360 games that had Kinect support, for that point to be valid, you'd have to show how EVERY game since Kinect's launch REQUIRED some function of Kinect to get 360 licensing. That did not happen, and even with the XB1, the requirement to use Kinect is not there - it is simply available to be used.

Back at the PS3 launch, IIRC all games were required to have some sort of six axis control support... I don't recall which game had basically taken a shot at it, and I can't find a reference to it. There are over 110 games that currently support SixAxis motion control though - how many games can you think of where it was implemented well (I'm going to go with Flower on this - that was fantastic).

If the hardware comes with the console, one *could* require it. If it does not, however, then placing that requirement to try and sell your other products is pretty shady. Before you go all Kinect2.0 on me - remember developers are being encouraged to incorporate smartglass and Kinect - but there is no requirement to do so. Also, since smartglass is tablet/phone agnostic, to use it requires no defined product, and certainly not an MS one to leverage. AFAIK the new SmartGlass software is going to be free, just as the existing 360 version is.

The Vita? Not free. Not all game styles may fit (consider playing MP street-fighter type game on the same console). It's costing devs time and QA resources to shoehorn a product that has not proven itself on the market.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 26, 2013, 04:32:44 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 26, 2013, 01:38:03 AM

UGH. "People said they liked the offset sticks better but you know, tradition, so, WHATEVA."

yeah, that was the part that got me.  At least they didn't go with the Wii U scheme.

#tradition slywink

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 26, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 26, 2013, 04:16:14 AM

The Vita? Not free. Not all game styles may fit (consider playing MP street-fighter type game on the same console). It's costing devs time and QA resources to shoehorn a product that has not proven itself on the market.

My impression was that the support was built into the system, so it hopefully doesn't require that much, other than to specify controls, etc.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: October 26, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 26, 2013, 02:44:47 AM

PS4 FAQ

The sharing stuff should be great for families. I saw a lot of discussions about this kind of thing just after the first presentations of these two consoles, but now that it's official that the PS4 supports families playing freely, and enjoying PS+ benefits, on one system with separate user accounts and even having two PS4s playing the same game from your account at the same time, nobody's talking about it.

Go figure. Tongue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 26, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 26, 2013, 08:46:13 AM

PS4 FAQ

The sharing stuff should be great for families. I saw a lot of discussions about this kind of thing just after the first presentations of these two consoles, but now that it's official that the PS4 supports families playing freely, and enjoying PS+ benefits, on one system with separate user accounts and even having two PS4s playing the same game from your account at the same time, nobody's talking about it.

Go figure. Tongue
See, if only MS had thought of doing awesome stuff like that they wouldn't be in the trouble they're in! slywink
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: October 26, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 26, 2013, 09:23:46 AM

Quote from: TiLT on October 26, 2013, 08:46:13 AM

PS4 FAQ

Go figure. Tongue
See, if only MS had thought of doing awesome stuff like that they wouldn't be in the trouble they're in! slywink

Are they doing the same thing? I honestly don't know. I'm aware of the "family sharing" they canceled, but not of any new initiatives to replace it. At least not anywhere near the console's launch.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: