http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 08:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 71327 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 15, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 07, 2013, 03:24:32 PM

Quote from: morlac on September 07, 2013, 03:18:06 PM

Quote from: TiLT on September 07, 2013, 08:49:47 AM

Uh, yeah. Not gonna happen. They have absolutely no reason to push up the American date, as they are already first there and launching any earlier would just increase risk and reduce stock. They're sitting fine where they are. The only known release date they could benefit from pushing is the European one since it's currently one week later than Xbox One (in the few countries where the latter launches this year, that is).

What risk? Also, not sure if you recall the Wii launch but the shortages were paramount to the gotta have one mentality.  Hell even my wife wanted to buy one when we stumbled upon one on July 4th at Bestbuy. Creating artificial shortages is an old marketing tactic and proven to be successful. The trick is to not let it out too early(that there may be shortages) and play the aww shucks we had no idea it would be this popular card.  

Risk: That the interface or early games are buggy in ways that could have been fixed with one or two more weeks of development time. Publishing as late as possible reduces this risk.

As for the shortages, it doesn't work the way you think it works. What you're saying is essentially a conspiracy theory, and as all conspiracy theories goes, it's wrong. Companies like Sony, Microsoft, Apple, etc. sign contracts for a production run with the factories that produce their products. These contracts say that they're supposed to produce a certain amount of units every month for a certain amount of time, usually for a year or two at a time. This keeps production prices low. The amount of units produced typically stays constant throughout this period, and the challenge the companies face then is to pick a number of monthly units that won't leave them with unsold units on shelves. They want to minimize risk. Since consoles start production just a few months before release (3 in this case, it would appear), you only get those monthly allotments of units at launch. Maybe some companies bring in extra factories at launch to increase stock temporarily, but that sounds both expensive and risky to me.

The effect you're talking about is a lucky coincidence, not a strategy. It all comes down to the fine balance between short term supply and long term risk. They'd rather have a slight shortage at launch than millions of units in two years that don't sell.

Edit: You should also consider this: If all units at launch sell out, how the heck are the companies producing them supposed to benefit? It doesn't matter if there's plenty of demand if there's no supply. They don't earn money by having potential customers wanting their products. They earn money by having potential customers buy their products.

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/09/13/can-pre-sell-every-unit-can-manufacture-sony-prepares-ps4-reserve-inventory-launch-day/

I did not reply before because it wasn't worth it but toy manufacturers have been none to create shortages around the holidays to drive hype.  Apple has been accused of it numerous times.

"“It’s everything we can manufacture. We want to make sure that consumers have an opportunity to buy one on November 15, and through the holidays, so we’re holding back some inventory to make sure that people will have an opportunity to buy one.”"
"“We’re going to work very hard to make sure that every consumer that wants one gets one,” said Tretton. It’s not a guarantee, but by setting aside this slice of inventory until the November 15 launch, Sony has created at least a glimmer of hope for those eager gamers hoping to get their hands on a PS4, most likely after camping out overnight in a cold November line."

So they could sell them all through preorders and say sorry sold out but are holding some back to keep demand up and keep the hype train running and selling it as "we are looking out for the consumers".  Essentially they  are decreasing launch supply so they can keep trickling them out so consumers will keep hope they might find one instead of buying the competitors device.

morlac00 on PSN
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 15, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

You aren't thinking this all the way through. Their likely objective isn't to artificially inflate demand, it is to keep scalpers from buying up every unit they will have available for the holiday period and allowing them to set the market for what the unit costs.

Quote from: morlac on September 15, 2013, 01:23:14 PM

So they could sell them all through preorders and say sorry sold out but are holding some back to keep demand up and keep the hype train running and selling it as "we are looking out for the consumers".  Essentially they  are decreasing launch supply so they can keep trickling them out so consumers will keep hope they might find one instead of buying the competitors device.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 15, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 15, 2013, 03:12:44 PM

You aren't thinking this all the way through. Their likely objective isn't to artificially inflate demand, it is to keep scalpers from buying up every unit they will have available for the holiday period and allowing them to set the market for what the unit costs.

Quote from: morlac on September 15, 2013, 01:23:14 PM

So they could sell them all through preorders and say sorry sold out but are holding some back to keep demand up and keep the hype train running and selling it as "we are looking out for the consumers".  Essentially they  are decreasing launch supply so they can keep trickling them out so consumers will keep hope they might find one instead of buying the competitors device.

It might not be their entire objective but is a nice bonus.  Also, I fail to see how this will dissuade console scalping. The scalpers will know when new shipments arrive and act accordingly.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 19, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »

well, sony had their keynote for TGS 2013.  South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan will see the system in December, and on 2-22 the japanese release will cost 39,980 yen or for 43,980 yen with the PlayStation Camera & Knack.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 19, 2013, 05:53:33 AM »

they have also set a target of 5 million sold worldwide by the end of March 2014.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 19, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »

Did they not have any actual interesting news in their keynote?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 19, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »

PS3 games streamiing by 2014

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 19, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »

Here's the PS4 tablet/phone app in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEbBbdTKYoE
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 19, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 19, 2013, 03:49:23 PM

No word on what it'll cost to upgrade to these games.  Hopefully it won't be full price.  I'm hoping between $10 and free.

With the way cloud saves are working, though, I do hope that you'll be able to continue your progress.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 20, 2013, 04:33:33 AM »

I expect my PSN catalog to be free. No way in hell am I paying to upgrade (even though most of the games are actually free on PS+)  slywink
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: September 20, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »

Wasn't there some speculation that Sony wasn't taking a loss on the PS4?  Well, it appears they are selling at a loss, but expect to recoup by PS Plus and game sales

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1051 on: September 20, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 14, 2013, 09:16:27 PM

I thought it was 5 comments about him.

no it was saying his name three times

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: September 20, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 20, 2013, 03:38:58 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 14, 2013, 09:16:27 PM

I thought it was 5 comments about him.

no it was saying his name three times

Seriously, are you talking about -Lord Ebonstone-? I had him on my friends list and played a game with him about a month or two after he raged himself off GT. He was a good guy IMO - rage got the better of him.

Also,

-Lord Ebonstone-
-Lord Ebonstone-
-Lord Ebonstone-

Tongue icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #1053 on: September 21, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »

No, the other guy,  Derek Smart.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 21, 2013, 03:21:48 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 20, 2013, 04:33:33 AM

I expect my PSN catalog to be free. No way in hell am I paying to upgrade (even though most of the games are actually free on PS+)  slywink

Never joined PS+, but have well over $1,000 worth of PSN downloads on my PS3.

Still disappointed with the lack of BC this generation. Makes me consider going back to PC gaming again where no matter how old my games are they'll still work.

Too bad Sony couldn't have come out with a 'Premium' PS4 like they did with the PS3 and offer BC as an option for those willing to pay for it.

"PSone and PlayStation 2 are, of course, separate formats. PSone games run on the new models of PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware,” explained Kutaragi-san. “Our PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for all PlayStation software and this format will continue forever. Just like the situation with personal computers or music CDs, the format continues by incorporating it into new products."

Riight..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:25:44 AM by corruptrelic » Logged

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 21, 2013, 03:34:11 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 21, 2013, 03:21:48 AM

Quote from: Canuck on September 20, 2013, 04:33:33 AM

I expect my PSN catalog to be free. No way in hell am I paying to upgrade (even though most of the games are actually free on PS+)  slywink

Never joined PS+, but have well over $1,000 worth of PSN downloads on my PS3.

Still disappointed with the lack of BC this generation. Makes me consider going back to PC gaming again where no matter how old my games are they'll still work.

Too bad Sony couldn't have come out with a 'Premium' PS4 like they did with the PS3 and offer BC as an option for those willing to pay for it.

"PSone and PlayStation 2 are, of course, separate formats. PSone games run on the new models of PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware,” explained Kutaragi-san. “Our PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for all PlayStation software and this format will continue forever. Just like the situation with personal computers or music CDs, the format continues by incorporating it into new products."

Riight..

Premium thumbsup

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: September 22, 2013, 04:24:11 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 21, 2013, 03:21:48 AM

Because the 'premium' model would cost the price of a PS4 as well as the price of the components of the PS3 (at the very least). So, what, another $150-200 or so easily? No doubt a LOT more just to get the two systems to work properly together?

The PS3 had PS2 BC because it included all the PS2 chips in it (which cost about $30). It's 'brute force' emulating the PS1 nowadays (and it didn't have to do so if you owned one of the PS2 BC models) because it's powerful enough to do so.

The PS2 requires a heck of a computer to properly brute force emulate on the PC. The PS3? Forget it. PCs aren't fast enough yet.

TLDR: Not going to happen.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 22, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 22, 2013, 04:24:11 PM

O RLY?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just need some duct tape...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 22, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 22, 2013, 04:41:47 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 22, 2013, 04:24:11 PM

O RLY?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just need some duct tape...

you forgot a layer for the Deluxe Premium Edition.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1059 on: September 23, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »

... couldn't you just run the PS3 through the Xbox One?

/flees

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 23, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 23, 2013, 12:33:49 PM

/flees

I know you're joking, but that reminds me:  I forget where I saw it, but one of the MS guys said something about the latency from the HDMI passing through the XB1 wouldn't be enough for proper gaming.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1061 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 23, 2013, 12:33:49 PM

/flees

I'd rather hook up an XB One through an XB One.  I call it XB1nception

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:59:03 PM by Caine » Logged

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 25, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »

So... got an email saying that if you bought the PS3 version of certain games you could then get the PS4 version at a 'discount' but without any mention of what the discount would be. Turns out, for the current list of games (AC4, Watchdogs, CoD Ghosts, BF4) you can 'upgrade' to the digital PS4 version for $9.99. Details here.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 25, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »

So fellow PSWhores:

What launch titles are you picking up?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 25, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »

Driveclub and Resogun with PS+.  I'd get Resogun even if I had to buy it even.

Probably Killzone, and I'm leaning towards AC4 over Watch Dogs.  That may depend on reviews.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1065 on: September 25, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 25, 2013, 02:16:54 PM

So fellow PSWhores:

Rezogun and Driveclub via PS Plus (though the latter will likely be upgraded if it's good). Killzone, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, and probably anything among the appealing indie games that gets good feedback from players.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 25, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »

You guys are actually going to take the Killzone bait again?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 25, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 25, 2013, 02:35:37 PM

I like the look of the gameplay changes they've made from 2.  I never played 3.  The more open levels combined with the cool shit you can do with the Owl seem to set this apart.  CoD has zero interest to me, BF4 maybe.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 25, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 25, 2013, 02:16:54 PM

So fellow PSWhores:

AC4 and Ghosts for me right now. I had BF4 preordered but I may get that on PC since it pretty much requires squad play to be any good. Wait and see on the rest.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1069 on: September 25, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 25, 2013, 02:35:37 PM

What bait? I enjoyed Killzone 2, 3 and Mercenary, and the new one looks like it takes some of Crysis' approach to first person shooting in its use of open environments and multiple ways to handle problems.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1070 on: September 25, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »

Watch_Dogs is escorting my pre-order.  AC4 is also a strong possibility as I don't see the PC version coming out soon enough.  maybe GTA V  ninja

BF4 is dependent on how much I actually decide to play MP again. 

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 25, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »

Preordered:
Call of Duty Ghosts - bored with the series but what the heck, need to try this on next gen console
Ass Creed 4
FIFA 14

I'll get Watchdogs and BF4 on PC.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:45 PM »

Killzone, AC4, and Watchdogs are preordered.  There are probably some other titles I will likely pick up, like maybe Knack and FIFA 14.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »

Ah yeah I guess I'm also keeping an eye on FIFA. Though every time I buy that game I barely play it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 25, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »

I'm going Killzone and probably BF4.  I'll just rent AC4.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1075 on: September 25, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »

I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to get for the PS4 when it comes out other than the obvious free PS+ games.  Killzone is the most likely, but I don't play many first person shooters on console and I haven't played any previous Killzone games, so that lowers my interest quite a bit.

I still have Knack on preorder, but from what I read it just doesn't seem to be shaping up to be the kind of game I was hoping for (sounds much more PS1 linear Crash Bandicoot style).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »

I figure with the free games and free to play games, I should have at least 4-5 games on my plate so that will keep me busy until rhe used games start becoming more frequent.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 26, 2013, 02:39:45 AM »

Now that I have cancelled my XBone preorder....that frees up a bunch of money for more PS4 goodness!

My launch list:
Battlefield 4
Killzone
Ac4
Watch Dogs
Knack
COD: Ghosts

I've already preordered AC4, Watchdogs, Ghosts and battlefield 4 on PSN, to take advantage of the $10 upgrade to PS4 offer. I am also getting a bunch back in PSN credit with the buy $50 and get $10 back offer. So, I'll be basically getting the PS4 versions of the games for free. smile

Oh and I'll also be getting whatever is free for PS+.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:14 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 25, 2013, 10:31:47 PM

I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to get for the PS4 when it comes out other than the obvious free PS+ games.  Killzone is the most likely, but I don't play many first person shooters on console and I haven't played any previous Killzone games, so that lowers my interest quite a bit.

You didn't miss much.  The previous Killzone games are bland to average.  This game was supposed to be the answer to the huge Xbox hits like Halo and Gears but it's just too formulaic and I doubt the new one will be much different.  The multiplayer seems better though if you are into that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:07:50 PM by skystride » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 26, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »

So I missed the preorder at GameStop. I loath them, but yet stil give them alot of business. Does anyone know where I can still preorder one for launch day. Preferably local pickup?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: