http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:20:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 57965 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »

I wonder what their release date would have been if the XB1 hadn't been expected this fall.  would we be seeing a fall release or an early 2014 release as well?  I imagine it would still be fall, due to buying habits, but would they have held back for a global release without the competition?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 09, 2013, 11:13:16 AM

A day with Playstation   Pretty cool...   Might just decide to hold onto my PS4 pre-order..   IN!!

Oh the girl with the White PS Vita is hot... that is all
Nice. I'm not Japanese so I can't comment on the average Japanese person's reaction to that clip but I'm wondering in which part of Japan do cute Japanese girls sit around and watch their boyfriends play Killzone tournaments on the big screen?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 09, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

From a Gamesradar article :
However, whatís most interesting--and the reason itís such a clever device--is that Vita TV allows remote play from your PS4. Think about that for a second. Although remote play is currently limited to local use (so, as a second screen within your home), Sony is looking into cloud-based streaming for PlayStation games. With this little white box, no more than the size of a mobile phone, you could eventually play PS4 anywhere in the world. You could take it round to your friendís house and plunder the Caribbean silly in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, even though he doesnít have a PS4. Can you think of a better viral marketing campaign for PS4 than allowing people to stream their games while they're visiting friends? If so, I image Sony will want to give you a job.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 09, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 09, 2013, 01:28:59 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 09, 2013, 11:13:16 AM

A day with Playstation   Pretty cool...   Might just decide to hold onto my PS4 pre-order..   IN!!

Oh the girl with the White PS Vita is hot... that is all
Nice. I'm not Japanese so I can't comment on the average Japanese person's reaction to that clip but I'm wondering in which part of Japan do cute Japanese girls sit around and watch their boyfriends play Killzone tournaments on the big screen?

Very cool video clip. Yep, this is the console for me.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: September 09, 2013, 04:18:17 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 09, 2013, 02:01:42 PM

From a Gamesradar article :
However, whatís most interesting--and the reason itís such a clever device--is that Vita TV allows remote play from your PS4. Think about that for a second. Although remote play is currently limited to local use (so, as a second screen within your home), Sony is looking into cloud-based streaming for PlayStation games. With this little white box, no more than the size of a mobile phone, you could eventually play PS4 anywhere in the world. You could take it round to your friendís house and plunder the Caribbean silly in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, even though he doesnít have a PS4. Can you think of a better viral marketing campaign for PS4 than allowing people to stream their games while they're visiting friends? If so, I image Sony will want to give you a job.

if that's true, it may be a sale for me. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1005 on: September 09, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »

Even if the remote play functionality doesn't support streaming over the Internet, it would still allow you to set up your PS4 for multiple screens in your own home, which I'm sure would be a selling point for some people.

It all ties into the initiative Sony has been doing for the last few years, trying to integrate everything Sony into one large infrastructure across multiple devices. Turning the Playstation Network into the Sony Entertainment Network was their first big step towards this, and we're starting to see the fruits of their labors now. Will it work? Will it get public acceptance? I have no idea.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 09, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »

Yeah I have absolutely zero interest in home remote play, but roaming remote play may actually get me to buy a Vita (depending on bandwidth requirements).
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 09, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 09, 2013, 04:23:13 PM

Even if the remote play functionality doesn't support streaming over the Internet, it would still allow you to set up your PS4 for multiple screens in your own home, which I'm sure would be a selling point for some people.

The intent is clearly over the internet as shown in the newest video where the girl plays Knack in the cafeteria.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: September 10, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 09, 2013, 06:41:35 PM

Quote from: TiLT on September 09, 2013, 04:23:13 PM

The intent is clearly over the internet as shown in the newest video where the girl plays Knack in the cafeteria.

Having played Knack, I call BS, though I'm not a Japanese schoolgirl. Tongue Remote play is interesting, but my first question is control responsiveness.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1009 on: September 10, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »

Responsiveness probably won't be great unless you're sitting right next to it. It works on the WiiU, so that's a plus, but they have a dedicated signal for that, the Vita will be piggybacking on wifi for this, and networking anything has always been a big problem for Sony. Having Gaikai tech helps, but we'll see how well they integrate it.

The feature will actually be useful for me, since I want to keep the PS4 out in the living room for housemates to use, but sometimes they're watching movies when I want to play, or I can't fire a game up late at night because they're sleeping.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:12:32 AM by Turtle » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 10, 2013, 01:44:56 AM »

If your connection in constant it's not too difficult to measure latency and compensate for it.  The problem comes if the latency is inconsistent.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1011 on: September 10, 2013, 01:46:29 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 06, 2013, 03:38:19 PM

Purge, Move and PSEye are two different things.

I may have missed it, but I thought they said it needed the Eye.  I'm imagining this headset is going to be a big enough expense that they'll probably include and Eye with it.

As I understand it (I don't own Move - I've played it a few times but never bit on buying it):

"The primary component of PlayStation Move, the PlayStation Move motion controller (CECH-ZCM1E) is a wand controller which allows the user to interact with the console through motion and position in front of a PlayStation camera.[1]"

No PSEye, no motion controls (at least positional - it may have six-axis-like controls due to motion sensitivity).

That's what I mean. The PS4 controllers have Move tech in them, but not all users will have the PS4 Playstation Camera to take advantage of it.

With the VR device planned, it would make a lot of sense to simply put the camera in place for all systems to seed the market, and drive up developer interest, in that part. They've decided not to, and that's fine. smile

Sony is going about this one way, and MS is looking to turn people's livingrooms into video phones on top of everything else (Skype). So they have even more invested in the camera-attached-or-at-least-purchased option.

I like the idea of the remote play, and the newly announced PS4 TV box may help out in the whole "roommate is in the livingroom making out with some dude" issues with getting to your PS4. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1012 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:17 AM »

Quote from: gellar on September 10, 2013, 01:44:56 AM

If your connection in constant it's not too difficult to measure latency and compensate for it.  The problem comes if the latency is inconsistent.

Control responsiveness is measured in such minute increments - I can see a lot of games being unplayable especially if we're talking about streaming data for audio/video on the same paths. They're likely going to use Gaikai-hosted servers running the game 'proper' rather than streaming it from your own PS4 (or perhaps, as soon as you're not on the local network).

But as someone who has recently tried to use University bandwidth for anything, GFL on streaming a game while having twitch-response controls and their high-def graphics - it'll be even worse when an entire university of overly-jubilant girls playing Knack tank your Killzone game. slywink

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:20 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 10, 2013, 01:50:17 AM

Quote from: gellar on September 10, 2013, 01:44:56 AM

If your connection in constant it's not too difficult to measure latency and compensate for it.  The problem comes if the latency is inconsistent.

Control responsiveness is measured in such minute increments - I can see a lot of games being unplayable especially if we're talking about streaming data for audio/video on the same paths. They're likely going to use Gaikai-hosted servers running the game 'proper' rather than streaming it from your own PS4 (or perhaps, as soon as you're not on the local network).

But as someone who has recently tried to use University bandwidth for anything, GFL on streaming a game while having twitch-response controls and their high-def graphics - it'll be even worse when an entire university of overly-jubilant girls playing Knack tank your Killzone game. slywink

You can still program for minute increments so long as they are consistent. Local networks have plenty of bandwidth for audio/video. Shared networks are always going to be YMMV but fuck those peasants.

My guess is that 'Remote Play' is all going to be local network at first and perhaps move to their own servers (or CLOUD, if you prefer) if you are off your LAN and they still want to try to do that. That is going to be a better option than trying to get anything streaming off of a user's PS4.

Like I said for me, it's really only interesting if they get the latter to work and work well.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 10, 2013, 02:19:27 AM »

In regards to remote play I'm sure there will be different quality options of the video/audio stream just like there is for everything else from Youtube to Twitch. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1015 on: September 10, 2013, 04:34:17 AM »

I would like to point out that most of us are already dealing with latency of around 50-150 ms when playing console games. This comes from both the controller and the display. We're just so used to this that we don't notice it, which really says a lot.

The upside is that controller latency has supposedly been reduced for both upcoming consoles, so Gaikai actually have a little bit to go on before latency is as "bad" as a single player game on PS3/360.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 10, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 10, 2013, 01:46:29 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 06, 2013, 03:38:19 PM

Purge, Move and PSEye are two different things.

I may have missed it, but I thought they said it needed the Eye.  I'm imagining this headset is going to be a big enough expense that they'll probably include and Eye with it.

As I understand it (I don't own Move - I've played it a few times but never bit on buying it):

"The primary component of PlayStation Move, the PlayStation Move motion controller (CECH-ZCM1E) is a wand controller which allows the user to interact with the console through motion and position in front of a PlayStation camera.[1]"

No PSEye, no motion controls (at least positional - it may have six-axis-like controls due to motion sensitivity).

That's what I mean. The PS4 controllers have Move tech in them, but not all users will have the PS4 Playstation Camera to take advantage of it.

With the VR device planned, it would make a lot of sense to simply put the camera in place for all systems to seed the market, and drive up developer interest, in that part. They've decided not to, and that's fine. smile

Sony is going about this one way, and MS is looking to turn people's livingrooms into video phones on top of everything else (Skype). So they have even more invested in the camera-attached-or-at-least-purchased option.

I like the idea of the remote play, and the newly announced PS4 TV box may help out in the whole "roommate is in the livingroom making out with some dude" issues with getting to your PS4. biggrin

Just to clarify: the camera for the PS3 was called the PSEye.  The Move used the pre-existing camera to work. 

I see what you're saying about including it with the PS4.  The problem is they've never been good at developing games for this camera thing by itself.  For most, it would probably be taken away from a valuable USB slot and put in some closet somewhere and have to be found again anyway when the VR thing came out.

OTOH, if they don't include the camera with the VR kit, they are insane.

I imagine it'll be like the Move was, where you can get everything in a bundle or just the VR device if you already have the camera.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1017 on: September 10, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 10, 2013, 12:18:10 PM

I see what you're saying about including it with the PS4.  The problem is they've never been good at developing games for this camera thing by itself.  For most, it would probably be taken away from a valuable USB slot and put in some closet somewhere and have to be found again anyway when the VR thing came out.

The PS Eye on PS4 actually uses a dedicated AUX port.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 10, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 10, 2013, 12:24:03 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 10, 2013, 12:18:10 PM

The PS Eye on PS4 actually uses a dedicated AUX port.

Well, that helps, but I still imagine most people won't just leave it collecting dust on their TV if there's no reason to use it.

Not me, mind you.  I still have my Move charging just in case I feel like using it on the one or two games I never play.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 11, 2013, 03:37:55 PM »

Cry for Argentinians buying a PS4.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1020 on: September 11, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 11, 2013, 03:37:55 PM

But don't worry, Microsoft is still the big bad guy only releasing in 13 territories on launch!  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 11, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 11, 2013, 03:46:42 PM

But don't worry, Microsoft is still the big bad guy only releasing in 13 territories on launch!  Tongue

I take it you did not read the article?

morlac00 on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

Quote from: morlac on September 11, 2013, 04:53:46 PM

Gonna go with a no on that one. 

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 11, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 11, 2013, 04:56:13 PM

Quote from: morlac on September 11, 2013, 04:53:46 PM

Gonna go with a no on that one. 

icon_lol

morlac00 on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: September 11, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »

Actually I did.  Assuming you want to call one small paragraph an article.  I have no idea how you could assume I didn't read an article about the cost of the PS4 in Argentina based on what I posted.

My post was a joke (however poor) about how people keep criticizing Microsoft despite plenty of poor choices on the other side as well.  Charging over 10% of the average family's yearly income for a console would qualify as that.  The joke is that people will still find bigger things to criticize Microsoft about and ignore this.  Just like ignoring the fact that they're not launching in Japan for their "worldwide release".

But thanks for making your assumptions anyway.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 11, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 11, 2013, 06:36:15 PM

Actually I did.  Assuming you want to call one small paragraph an article.  I have no idea how you could assume I didn't read an article about the cost of the PS4 in Argentina based on what I posted.

My post was a joke (however poor) about how people keep criticizing Microsoft despite plenty of poor choices on the other side as well.  Charging over 10% of the average family's yearly income for a console would qualify as that.  The joke is that people will still find bigger things to criticize Microsoft about and ignore this.  Just like ignoring the fact that they're not launching in Japan for their "worldwide release".

The issue is the economy and inflation in Argentina, it's not Sony being ridiculous.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1026 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:06 PM »

Actually I did.  Assuming you want to call one small paragraph an article.  I have no idea how you could assume I didn't read an article about the cost of the PS4 in Argentina based on what I posted.

My post was a joke (however poor) about how people keep criticizing Microsoft despite plenty of poor choices on the other side as well.  Charging over 10% of the average family's yearly income for a console would qualify as that.  The joke is that people will still find bigger things to criticize Microsoft about and ignore this.  Just like ignoring the fact that they're not launching in Japan for their "worldwide release".

You read the article, but you didn't read it. This has nothing to do with Sony, and everything to do with Argentina. Their economy is completely bonkers from what I can tell. If Microsoft at one point decides to lower their standards enough to sell the Xbox One in Argentina, it'll cost more than this. A lot more.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 11, 2013, 11:16:13 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on September 11, 2013, 07:08:03 PM

The issue is the economy and inflation in Argentina, it's not Sony being ridiculous.
No, engine9 is right. Sony just really, really hates Argentina smile

By the way, how is it that the Japanese price for the PS4 is a straight conversion of what the dollar is worth ($399->39,980) but the pound and Euro versions are ridiculously more expensive? Sony is to lazy to look up the conversion on XE.com?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1028 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:19 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 11, 2013, 11:16:13 PM

By the way, how is it that the Japanese price for the PS4 is a straight conversion of what the dollar is worth ($399->39,980) but the pound and Euro versions are ridiculously more expensive? Sony is to lazy to look up the conversion on XE.com?

It's mostly because of two factors:

1) Sony is a Japanese company and uses Yen as their currency. When they sell their consoles in Europe and the US, they need to have a buffer after the conversion between their two currencies in case the values change in their disfavor. Remember that they'll be stuck with these prices for years. They need to make sure they're future proof. They're probably willing to take a bigger risk with the US market due to its importance.

2) Europe is both more complex to deal with and has all kinds of import taxes and VAT that has to be considered in.

These two factors combined explain the price difference.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »

Don't forget the cheesehat - that always makes things more expensive.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 13, 2013, 08:03:29 PM »

http://kotaku.com/report-ps4-is-50-faster-than-xbox-one-1308239556

Speaking anonymously, developers interviewed by Edge talked about how the PS4ís component performance makes it faster than the Xbox One:

Our contacts have told us that memory reads on PS4 are 40-50 per cent quicker than Xbox One, and its ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) is around 50 per cent faster. One basic example we were given suggested that without optimisation for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920◊1080 on PS4, but itíll run at ď20-somethingĒ FPS in 1600◊900 on Xbox One. ďXbox One is weaker and itís a pain to use its ESRAM,Ē concluded one developer

Microsoft has been aggressively contesting claims like the above, as seen earlier this week. But the most intriguing thing about the Edge piece is the suggestion by said anonymous developers that a cross-platform game might be held back from looking or performing better on PS4 so as to not anger Microsoft:

One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to ďcastrateĒ the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers

That idea gets a pushback in the very next sentence, though. Itís a good thing to remember that both consoles will still have last-minute tweaks to the various parts that make them work. (In fact, Microsoft's already changed up the guts of the Xbox One at least twice already.) Of course, none of these performance claims will be verifiable until the PS4 and Xbox One actually come out. And, even then, launch-window games wonít necessarily be the best examples of what the new machines are capable of. The shiniest experiences for either console are probably still a ways off and will come only when developers have had more time to get familiar with the quirks of both.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 13, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »

At least they reference the Edge article
http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1032 on: September 13, 2013, 10:14:37 PM »

Isn't that just the exact same thing we were talking about a few days ago?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 13, 2013, 10:14:37 PM

Isn't that just the exact same thing we were talking about a few days ago?

probably.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 13, 2013, 10:14:37 PM

Isn't that just the exact same thing we were talking about eight years ago?

Hmm...

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 17, 2005, 09:00:26 PM

Fuck Microsoft and fuck the 360 XBone.  They flat-out lied and clearly attempted a bait-and-switch.

I'd have bought a $299 $399 360 XBone that came with a wireless controller and HDD with backward compatibility without a second thought -- and I'm sure plenty of others would too.  Bam, installed market.  The $60 pricepoints for games would have slipped right under my radar -- or at least, I'd be willing to accept them, considering the hardware.

But demanding another $100 for a wireless controller and a 20gb HDD Kinect, which you promised in the first place on all systems, along with a wad of shitty hardware I couldn't care less about?  And the HDD isn't even guarenteed to be save-compatible?  Fuck you.

I'd really thought about picking up a 360 XBone -- but after this pricing fiasco, I detest the system and wish the absolute worst for it.  Here's to hoping the consumers realize they just got bitch-slapped by M$.  I'd love to see this piece of shit tank.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:51:42 PM by wonderpug » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: September 13, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »

he was pretty good at Gears of War too.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 14, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »

Let's not make a third comment about LE 'cause that's how you summon him.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 14, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »

Oh, shit.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 14, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 14, 2013, 02:54:41 PM

Oh, shit.

Now you've done it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 14, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »

I thought it was 5 comments about him.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: