http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:53:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 60364 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on August 20, 2013, 09:10:11 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 20, 2013, 08:59:38 PM

Perhaps we all forgot that it would be silly to release the console before the games actually come out. Definitely disappointing though. Glad I didn't stay up for this conference.
As crazy as it sounds, I bet there would still be a good amount of people though that would buy either console if they launched initially with no games.  Especially if they had access to all of the online features in the meantime, like apps and netflix.         

Yeah, I could see launching a few weeks ahead of a competitor in those circumstances being advantageous. The Xbox launched less than a week before the GameCube... someone who isn't lazy should dig up some of that sales data.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »

As crazy as it sounds, I bet there would still be a good amount of people though that would buy either console if they launched initially with no games. 

I bet there are people who are going to do that even if there are no games they want in the launch window. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:05 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 20, 2013, 09:18:34 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 20, 2013, 08:59:38 PM

Perhaps we all forgot that it would be silly to release the console before the games actually come out. Definitely disappointing though. Glad I didn't stay up for this conference.
As crazy as it sounds, I bet there would still be a good amount of people though that would buy either console if they launched initially with no games.  Especially if they had access to all of the online features in the meantime, like apps and netflix.         

Yeah, I could see launching a few weeks ahead of a competitor in those circumstances being advantageous. The Xbox launched less than a week before the GameCube... someone who isn't lazy should dig up some of that sales data.

Gamecube-21.7 million consoles.

Xbox -24.6 million consoles

icon_biggrin

at least thats what it says here

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 20, 2013, 07:09:44 PM

RIME was my highlight of that presentation!

looks beautiful from the screens I've seen, did they say if it had any action or is it more of a puzzler?

Because I can,
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 09:24:44 PM

As crazy as it sounds, I bet there would still be a good amount of people though that would buy either console if they launched initially with no games. 

I bet there are people who are going to do that even if there are no games they want in the launch window. 

I find myself in this position.  Not really anything out for the PS4 at launch that catches my interest that isn't also on the XB1  More stuff on the XB1 list that I might buy and I have Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse pre-ordered.  I think Watch Dogs may be my only launch PS4 title and I could get that on the XB1 if I desire to.  I guess I am also kicking around the idea of canceling my PS4 pre-order but not too seriously.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 20, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »

speaking of launch titles, these are the 'launch window' titles (being released by the end of the year) plus  there are 18 other titles (retail and PSN) not listed yet:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
    Battlefield 4 (EA)
    Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
    Driveclub (SCE)
    FIFA 14 (EA)
    Killzone: Shadow Fall (SCE)
    Knack (SCE)
    Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft)
    LEGO Marvel Superheroes (Warner Bros.)
    Madden 25 (EA)
    NBA 2K14 (2K Games)
    NBA Live (EA)
    Need for Speed: Rivals (EA)
    Skylanders: Swap Force (Activision)
    Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on August 20, 2013, 10:08:20 PM

I find myself in this position.  Not really anything out for the PS4 at launch that catches my interest that isn't also on the XB1  More stuff on the XB1 list that I might buy and I have Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse pre-ordered.  I think Watch Dogs may be my only launch PS4 title and I could get that on the XB1 if I desire to.  I guess I am also kicking around the idea of canceling my PS4 pre-order but not too seriously.

Really?  Maybe I'm getting frugal at my old age but I'm not sure I see a need for two systems at all this generation, much less two at launch.

I can't imagine buying one without something to play on it.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 21, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 21, 2013, 12:10:37 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on August 20, 2013, 10:08:20 PM

Really?  Maybe I'm getting frugal at my old age but I'm not sure I see a need for two systems at all this generation, much less two at launch.

I can't imagine buying one without something to play on it.

With old age comes disposable income so yes I can buy a console without any games just to scratch an itch as it were.  I won't try to defend it as it does seem a waste of money on the surface and I won't get full value from my gaming dollar with two consoles and a good PC as well.  There are worse things to blow money on.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #928 on: August 21, 2013, 01:35:36 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 20, 2013, 06:42:24 PM

The Shadow of the Beast announcement was cool though, something that will most certainly tickle my nostalgia.

was not expecting that... of course, this comes out long after they shut down what was left of Psygnosis. siiigh
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:14 AM »

We really are bitter old men if we think these launch lineups mean "nothing to play." I don't think ever in the history of consoles has there been a greater launch lineup (I'm talking about either console).

Now I will say that as a PC gamer, the launch lineups are a little less compelling because I know many of those titles will be hitting PC cheaper. As a console gamer, however, I'd be in heaven knowing I had that many high profile games on day one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: August 21, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on August 21, 2013, 02:00:14 AM

Now I will say that as a PC gamer, the launch lineups are a little less compelling because I know many of those titles will be hitting PC cheaper. As a console gamer, however, I'd be in heaven knowing I had that many high profile games on day one.

yeah, if I didn't have a PC that should be able to handle most of this fall's releases with ease I'd be having trouble picking which system to get at launch.  Since 6 out of the 15 games Sony listed (ditto for the XB1) are also going to be available on PC, that knocks down my incentive to get one at launch, and since none of the first party titles are appealing to me it pushes it back to next year, probably later in the year unless I break on inFamOus.  Maybe they'll announce something interesting in those 18 titles not listed, but I've already spent the money I planned to spend on their system on upgrading my PC instead.

so yes, there is stuff to play, but no incentive for me to do so on their system at this time.

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 21, 2013, 05:02:53 AM »

For those that missed it, here's the GUI in action, showing spectating a friends game then joining the match in progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj8u3i-X3Ys
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: August 21, 2013, 05:43:36 AM »

Yeah, assuming it all works as described, the PSN will be in quite an interesting position from the OS.

We do know that the Sony studios are working on a lot of stuff. What's confusing is why they didn't show it. Not sure what they could show at TGS coming up next.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 21, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

I've been pretty squarely locked in on a PS4 for a few months now.  It became a little more official last night when I signed up for a year of PlayStation Plus.  The timing was partially inspired by the additional sale discounts on digital games I've been wanting for a while now -- Guacamelee for $7.50; Dead or Alive 5 Plus and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for $10 apiece -- but the PS4 release date was a big factor as well.

Quote from: YellowKing on August 21, 2013, 02:00:14 AM

I'm with YellowKing in that I expect to buy most multiplatform games on PC.  The prices are better, I've got a good rig, and I couldn't possibly care less about Trophies.

When it comes to system exclusives though, Sony has done a much better job of locking down franchises I most want to play.  Beyond: Two Souls, Killzone, and inFamous, with the promise of more Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, God of War, and Sly Cooper on the horizon?  I like Microsoft's exclusive franchises too, but Halo and Gears of War just can't compete against this lineup.

I guarantee that I'll wind up owning both consoles in the future, probably before the end of 2014.  For now, though, Sony has won my console dollars.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #934 on: August 28, 2013, 05:28:03 AM »

New info about the PS4's OS functionality.

You can buy a game from your smart phone, tablet, computer, or other device (I'm assuming from the Playstation App they've talked about) and your PS4 will turn itself on from sleep mode (aka, the PC's Wake-On-LAN functionality), download and install the game, then turn off (go back to sleep).
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 28, 2013, 05:30:43 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 28, 2013, 05:28:03 AM

You can buy a game from your smart phone, tablet, computer, or other device (I'm assuming from the Playstation App they've talked about) and your PS4 will turn itself on from sleep mode (aka, the PC's Wake-On-LAN functionality), download and install the game, then turn off (go back to sleep).

That's fantastic!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #936 on: August 28, 2013, 05:40:49 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 28, 2013, 05:28:03 AM

Sony already told us this back in February, and I believe the PS3 already has this functionality with PS Plus. Well, a slightly more limited version where it will turn itself on once a day to download from your queue, as far as I know.

Still great though. It's one of the things that originally impressed me with the console, simple as the functionality may be.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 28, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »

I assume both consoles will have something like this. If there's anything like that for the PS3 then I haven't found it and I'm a PS+ user. I bought Journey and Tokyo Jungle (both $3.75 with plus btw) online and I was able to put them into the download queue but they wouldn't automatically start downloading until I physically turned on the PS3. Now I have my PS3 set to automatically turn on and download updates /sync every night at 10pm so I guess it would have done it then but I didn't want to wait that long.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 28, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »

I'm also 100% Sony this time as well, which is saying something as I haven't owned a Sony console since the ps1. 

I'm just not a big Microsoft fan nowadays, Windows 8 has pissed me off a lot lately, and the original bs with the XB1 DRM left a bad taste in my mouth.

That, coupled with PS4 exclusives that I haven't really experienced before (Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted etc.), plus the $100 price difference for a more powerful console, made my decision easier.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »

SONY working with 21 companies on exclusive Playstation game content

They have already been doing it with PS3 content(Assassins Creed 3 exclusive 1hr gameplay for example or MoH Frontlines coming with new MoH game),looks like they are carrying on with it

Activision Blizzard - Diablo III content
Atlus
Bethesda Games - The Elder Scrolls Online exclusive PlayStation 4 beta
Bluepoint Games - "Bringing a Sony classic to current game systems"
Bungie - Destiny content
Capcom - Deep Down
Disney Interactive
EA
Insomniac Games
Konami
Level-5
Nordic Games
Rockstar Games
Sanzaru Games
Sega
Square Enix
Sumo Digital
Take-Two
Ubisoft - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag content, Watch Dogs content
Warner Bros. - Batman: Arkham Origins content
Zindagi Games

very interested in BluePoint games as they worked on MGS HD collection and it was very well done

Rockstar?..hmm,if not GTA5..what?..or GTA5 episodes like MS had?
Bethesda for TESO content?

Always depends what that content is,it would have to be something big to persuade me to jump platforms if i decided to buy for the other platform

eg;Batman Origins for me is 360,in this case the PS3 is getting Knightfall Challenge maps based on KF storyline..nice extra.but i am not interested in the challenge maps

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »

Could be Agent.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 30, 2013, 11:20:28 AM

Could be Agent.

I was going to put that,but it says Content,which made me think that this deal at least is content as in 'in-game content',not full game content icon_biggrin....but you may very well be right

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »

yep, still could be full game.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »

This sounds like an interesting bundle:
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/08/30/playstation-4-bundle-contains-killzone-camera-second-controller

Camera, Killzone game and extra controller for $499. I could almost see myself upgrading to that if true.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #944 on: September 01, 2013, 04:33:15 AM »

I just played AC Black Flag multiplayer with a DS4. The controller is as good as they say. Although nothing too amazing. The sticks felt better than the 360s.

The triggers finally work as they should.

Overall grip is better.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 01, 2013, 04:48:13 AM »

Ooh I'm jealous! smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 01, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »

Some more feedback regarding the controllers. I grabbed this from another forum I frequent. I don't know this person personally but I have known him from this forum for 3 or 4 years while he was in Japan and now he currently works in the States for Nintendo in some respect so he isn't completely a random guy on the internet.
Quote from: Rich
Played games with both the PS4 and Xbox One controllers today. Dual Shock 4 is as good as everyone has been praising it to be. It feels noticably bigger than the Dual Shock 3, but oh-so-comfortably so. Triggers feel great, analog sticks feel much improved.

Xbox One controller -- did not like. The offset of the sticks feels more pronounced (makes me feel uncomfortable, and yet I have no problems with my 360 PC pad). The RB and RT buttons feel weird, oddly pulled in. I didn't like the position my fingers had to come to to push those buttons. The only redeeming feature is the height, texture, and shape of the analog sticks. They're very textured, and feels like there'd be no slip.

Also, parting thoughts: Knack definitely feels like it was made with kids in mind, for mass appeal. LocoCycle is not fun in the slightest.

Sounds from his comments about the offset sticks that he probably played most of his games on the PS3 last gen so that has probably coloured his impressions of the Xbox controller a little. Nice to hear a second good impression of the PS4 controller though!
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 01, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 01, 2013, 08:31:04 AM

Sounds from his comments about the offset sticks that he probably played most of his games on the PS3 last gen so that has probably coloured his impressions of the Xbox controller a little.

No, he said more pronounced and references using a 360 controller on PC. It sounded to me like he was comparing it to the existing 360 controller.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 01, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 01, 2013, 02:44:16 PM

Quote from: Canuck on September 01, 2013, 08:31:04 AM

Sounds from his comments about the offset sticks that he probably played most of his games on the PS3 last gen so that has probably coloured his impressions of the Xbox controller a little.

No, he said more pronounced and references using a 360 controller on PC. It sounded to me like he was comparing it to the existing 360 controller.
Yeah, I saw that in the second read through. Still, I think he probably has more experience with the PS3 so it makes sense he'd prefer the DS4.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #949 on: September 01, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »

I have large hands, but the DS4 felt like it was smaller, but with a better grip anyway. I think that's because it is easier to grip the DS4 overall, with the overly bulky and not contoured grip areas of the DS3 getting replaced.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: September 03, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »

CVG: Sony to reveal PS4 Virtual Reality headset at TGS
Eurogamer: Sony set to go big with virtual reality on PlayStation 4

It's a rumor, but a strong one with quite a bit to back it up. Read the article(s)!

If this is true and Microsoft doesn't follow up with something like this of its own, the Xbox One won't stand a chance with gamers. People have been saying that the Oculus Rift is the real next generation of gaming. Well, it appears Sony has been thinking in the same lines.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:36:08 PM by TiLT » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: September 03, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 03, 2013, 03:34:17 PM

CVG: Sony to reveal PS4 Virtual Reality headset at TGS
Eurogamer: Sony set to go big with virtual reality on PlayStation 4

It's a rumor, but a strong one with quite a bit to back it up. Read the article(s)!

If this is true and Microsoft doesn't follow up with something like this of its own, the Xbox One won't stand a chance with gamers. People have been saying that the Oculus Rift is the real next generation of gaming. Well, it appears Sony has been thinking in the same lines.

As long as they don't force it on you like MS(was about to)

I will try it,if i like it i will use it,if i don't like it i won't touch it again

sure it might be cool an all,but end of the day for me,its just another gimmick

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: September 03, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »

I'll wait for the Oculus Rift on the PC.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »

Or it could be the next Virtual Boy like device and Microsoft will be laughing their ass off as they watch it fail.  We will have to wait and see but do you really think Sony has been working on something as good or better than Oculus Rift for the past few years and they have just been able to keep it a secret?

I think the best move right now is probably to wait for OR to come out and see how it does and then integrate it into your system if it's a huge hit.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: September 03, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »

Quote from: skystride on September 03, 2013, 09:21:47 PM

Or it could be the next Virtual Boy like device and Microsoft will be laughing their ass off as they watch it fail.  We will have to wait and see but do you really think Sony has been working on something as good or better than Oculus Rift for the past few years and they have just been able to keep it a secret?

I think the best move right now is probably to wait for OR to come out and see how it does and then integrate it into your system if it's a huge hit.

They aren't exactly new to the game.  http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201307/13-085E/

The real question is about latency of the movement, which seems to be where OR has been excelling.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 04, 2013, 01:15:55 AM »

I think Microsoft is investing heavily in wearable computing, so it would surprise me if they didn't have something in the works. Didn't they have some glasses on the leaked hardware pipeline?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: September 04, 2013, 01:36:42 AM »

It'll be another fad, like 3D gaming.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:29 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 04, 2013, 01:36:42 AM

It'll be another fad, like 3D gaming.
Gamers were never really excited about 3d gaming, the Oculus Rift seems to have legitimate hype around it on the other hand.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 04, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »

maybe if it with a red light...

or if it was red and had a dot going back and forth....

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 04, 2013, 02:47:43 AM »

Or...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: