http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:21:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 63922 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 29, 2013, 07:58:32 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 29, 2013, 03:28:55 PM

now imagine having party chat with 2000 random people.  it'd be a cornucopia of the interwebs!
You are already slywink

bay, I've only got 1547-  wait, #1435 and #1000 just had a baby... damn that #1000 is a cradle robber.... 1548 people in my head.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 06, 2013, 05:34:25 AM »

Poor, neglected Sony PS4 thread, arise!
Sony releasing $500 PS4/Vita bundle-rumour
Is there any possibility in hell that this is true? I hope to God it is less because it would give a huge boost to the PS4 and more because it would probably give a huge boost to the Vita.  I would love to see games on the vita that the DS often manages to scoop up, like Monster Hunter. If they released a bundle I would upgrade to that just so I could sell the Vita (I already own one) for $150 and get my PS4 for a mere $349.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 06, 2013, 05:37:43 AM »

Hell, I'd buy that and sell both of the Vitas I would then own.  the one I currently have is probably going to be gathering dust for the rest of the fall anyways.

[edit] of course selling the one in the bundle for $150 would net only $50, not sure it would be worth the hassle for so little.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:44:39 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 06, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »

This was going around late last week...Thursday or Friday I think? I have interest in a Vita, so I would definitely do that. My plan had been to keep one of the PS3s for watching movies and such. But I have the ps4 preordered from amazon, and more than enough trade credit at GameStop to buy that bundle...hmmmm. I worry that theVita will wind up gathering dust like my PSP did, and like my 3DS does now (DS was a totally different story, but these days, most of my gaming is on PC or iPad)

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 06, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »

I think the Vita is safe this gen. If it's as fully integrated with the PS4 as they're suggesting it will be then I'm sure it will take off. Hardware wise it's far superior to the 3DS and while it does arguably come second place in terms of number of games I think that will change with an increasing user base. If you have a ps3 and PS+ then the Vita is a great option as you get lots of games for free.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: August 07, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »

Do we have a PS4 release date yet?    Microsoft has told us when to expect the One, but we still have heard nothing from Sony?

My preorder still says Dec 31st
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 07, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »

November 5th.  Nah I just made that up. I'm guessing it will come out two weeks before the Xbone though.  No doubt they're waiting for MS to announce their official date first.  Makes sense since MS has gone and copied pretty much everything Sony has done so far this gen. biggrin
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 07, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 07, 2013, 01:50:28 PM

Microsoft has told us when to expect the One

they did?  All I remember hearing is November.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 07, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 07, 2013, 02:29:58 PM

November 5th.  Nah I just made that up. I'm guessing it will come out two weeks before the Xbone though.  No doubt they're waiting for MS to announce their official date first.  Makes sense since MS has gone and copied pretty much everything Sony has done so far this gen. biggrin

what if MS doesn't announce a date and just releases it?  will Sony have to invent a time machine then? slywink

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #890 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »

You mean like the Saturn? That turned out so well. Tongue
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 08, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2013, 03:34:12 PM

A couple weeks after annoucement, my Amazon.com preorder was switched from Dec 31st to Nov 27th for my launch day edition.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 08, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 08, 2013, 02:33:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 07, 2013, 03:34:12 PM

A couple weeks after annoucement, my Amazon.com preorder was switched from Dec 31st to Nov 27th for my launch day edition.

That's Amazon saying when they think it'll be, MS hasn't made any official announcement.  People are still guessing anywhere from November 5th to November 30th.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 10, 2013, 01:47:54 AM »

not sure I 100% understand it, but it looks like the Dollar complicating things in terms of profit margins:

Sony Corp. (6758)’s strategy to shield its PlayStation game unit from a strengthening yen is backfiring as the currency heads in the other direction this year, leading to losses ahead of a new console debut for the U.S. holidays.

Those currency-related losses are poised to deepen as analysts project a further 10 percent rise in the dollar by the end of Sony’s year in March, based on 74 analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg. That would put the yen at about 106 to the dollar, compared with 96.6 today and 86.7 at the start of 2013. Sony predicts the rate will remain around 100 yen.

While the weaker yen will lift the value of sales abroad for the new PlayStation 4, margins will be crimped as parts and production are paid for in dollars. The swing complicates Sony’s effort to profit in games and challenge Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)’s dominance of the U.S. game market as both unveil new consoles. Game-unit earnings will “deteriorate significantly,” Sony said Aug. 1. Three months ago, Sony predicted it would break even.

doesn't look like all bad news though:

Sony may be able to mitigate some of its currency risk by pricing the PlayStation 4 higher in Europe, at 399 euros, and at 349 pounds in the U.K. The company’s annual operating profit would be boosted by 7 billion yen for every one yen decline in value against the European currency, according to George Boyd, a spokesman.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #894 on: August 10, 2013, 03:11:33 AM »

So the EU and UK eat it for the rest of the world?  Nice.

Todays rates:

399.00 EUR  = 532.32 USD
349.00 GBP  = 541.26 USD

Yikes. You guys are getting the short end of the stick.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 10, 2013, 03:52:09 AM »

Since PS4s are paid for mainly in US$ I'm sure Sony is not too worried about it. No doubt they'll appreciate getting 106 yen for every dollar someone pays rather than the 78 yen they would have gotten last October.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 10, 2013, 04:25:55 AM »

Quote from: Purge on August 10, 2013, 03:11:33 AM

So the EU and UK eat it for the rest of the world?  Nice.

Todays rates:

399.00 EUR  = 532.32 USD
349.00 GBP  = 541.26 USD

Yikes. You guys are getting the short end of the stick.

damn, looking at those rates we're getting it at a bargain.  In comparison we're only paying 257.20 squids or 299.10 gyros.  Did they ever announce a price in Godzilla bucks?

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 10, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »

Nope but my guess is 39,980.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 16, 2013, 12:28:43 AM »

TV!

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 16, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »

So who's becoming like who now? They had me until the paid part.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: August 16, 2013, 02:57:16 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 06, 2013, 05:34:25 AM

Is there any possibility in hell that this is true? I hope to God it is less because it would give a huge boost to the PS4 and more because it would probably give a huge boost to the Vita.  I would love to see games on the vita that the DS often manages to scoop up, like Monster Hunter. If they released a bundle I would upgrade to that just so I could sell the Vita (I already own one) for $150 and get my PS4 for a mere $349.

I would do this for the portable aspects alone.  totally worth it.  now all I need is an official announcement and release day option through amz and I'll switch over my PS4/watch dogs bundle. 

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 16, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 16, 2013, 02:57:16 AM

Quote from: Canuck on August 06, 2013, 05:34:25 AM

I would do this for the portable aspects alone.  totally worth it.  now all I need is an official announcement and release day option through amz and I'll switch over my PS4/watch dogs bundle. 

The Vita is a remarkable piece of hardware.   It breaks my heart that it's not doing better.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 17, 2013, 05:23:49 AM »

so, release date announced on the 20th?

We'll kick off the show at 18:00 BST on 20 August 2013 with a briefing to media on our release plans for PlayStation 4, as well as updates on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

that should be 1pm EST.  the rest of y'all can figure out your own time zones Tongue

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #903 on: August 19, 2013, 12:37:52 AM »

Latest insider/rumor over at GAF says the late October 21 release rumor for ps4 is true. It's a pretty well known and challenged leaker, so take that however you want.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:11 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 19, 2013, 12:37:52 AM

Latest insider/rumor over at GAF says the late October 21 release rumor for ps4 is true. It's a pretty well known and challenged leaker, so take that however you want.

late October 21st... an evening release? slywink

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 20, 2013, 03:25:54 PM »

PS4 conference up soon.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 20, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »

I have to say, I loved the way they started this conference.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 20, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »

Nov 15th US, Nov 29th Europe.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #908 on: August 20, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »

Yep, the leak was wrong.

I missed the first half of the show, need to check if anything else was announced.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #909 on: August 20, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »

I've got mixed feelings. The launch date is disappointing of course, but at least they confirmed that they will be launching in 31 countries, so that pretty much guarantees that it will be available to me this year, which is more than can be said about the Xbox One. It'll be more than a month later than I had thought though, so that'll make the wait more painful. I'm also a little disappointed the bundle rumors about the Vita and PS4 weren't true (not that I'd be buying that, but it'd strengthen Vita as a platform), but at least they reduced the Vita's price by 50 dollars/euros and said that the price of memory cards would be drastically reduced.

I'm also a little disappointed that there were none of the big names I had been hoping for among the game announcements, though my expectations were admittedly a bit unrealistic. The Shadow of the Beast announcement was cool though, something that will most certainly tickle my nostalgia.

Anyone else pick up on the little detail that was dropped unceremoniously about PS Plus in the middle of the conference? They said that all free PS Plus games have a Metacritic score of 80 or higher. If this means that they won't even consider games for free inclusion with the subscription if they don't have a high enough Metacritic score, then that's really amazing. Goes to show that they're more concerned with quality than with quantity, though they're managing to do both.

I liked that the first part of the presentation showed a brief shot of the keyboard interface on the PS4. This is where the new touchpad on the dualshock will really shine. While typing will still be far from elegant on consoles, at least this new interface will speed up things considerably.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 20, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »

RIME was my highlight of that presentation!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 20, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 20, 2013, 06:42:24 PM

Anyone else pick up on the little detail that was dropped unceremoniously about PS Plus in the middle of the conference? They said that all free PS Plus games have a Metacritic score of 80 or higher. If this means that they won't even consider games for free inclusion with the subscription if they don't have a high enough Metacritic score, then that's really amazing. Goes to show that they're more concerned with quality than with quantity, though they're managing to do both.

I took that to mean we'll never see the Jak and Daxter Collection on PSN+ for the Vita then?  I then too a look at some other games they have had.  they had Knytt Underground, and Retro City Rampage, so maybe not all hope is lost for J&D.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 20, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 07:25:18 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 20, 2013, 06:42:24 PM

I took that to mean we'll never see the Jak and Daxter Collection on PSN+ for the Vita then?  I then too a look at some other games they have had.  they had Knytt Underground, and Retro City Rampage, so maybe not all hope is lost for J&D.

I'm pretty sure the PS Plus comment was made to emphasize the quality of the content they've been putting out, that's all.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 20, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »

Nothing too exciting out of the announcement. Good to know the system releases a day before my birthday, making it about as justifiable a purchase as possible  nod

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: August 20, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »

from polygon's live feed:

For current PS3 owners deciding whether or not to buy PS3 or PS4 versions of Call of Duty Ghosts, AC4, Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs gamers who already have them on PS3 will, for a limited time, be able to digitally buy the PS4 version for a "significantly discounted" price.

if they can match the price that AMZ and GS are asking for the trade in promo ($10), then I'll likely go PS3 with AC4. 

I wonder how they deal with the resell potential?  I'd be selling my ps3 copy for sure if they let you get away with it.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »

Yes - this means it will be in my grubby little hands the week prior to my birthday. A week, I might add, that I'm taking off of work. One glorious week with my precioussss..... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »

Seems smart to get the ps4 it into retail before the biggest shopping weekends in NA.  Sony can ride that consumer wave all the way through the holidays into 2014. 

I never would have considered purchasing a Vita, but if the price is right, and it does cool things with the ps4, I may do it. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 20, 2013, 06:32:43 PM

Yep, the leak was wrong.

I have to wonder if it would have been right if MS had announced their release date though.  Or maybe it will be right once they do.

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »

Perhaps we all forgot that it would be silly to release the console before the games actually come out. Definitely disappointing though. Glad I didn't stay up for this conference.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 20, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 20, 2013, 08:59:38 PM

Perhaps we all forgot that it would be silly to release the console before the games actually come out. Definitely disappointing though. Glad I didn't stay up for this conference.
As crazy as it sounds, I bet there would still be a good amount of people though that would buy either console if they launched initially with no games.  Especially if they had access to all of the online features in the meantime, like apps and netflix.         
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: