http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 12:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 63655 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 21, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 21, 2013, 12:28:13 PM

So Sony has been one-upping Microsoft practically all of this year, are they even going to do it when it comes to the release date and release a week before the xbone?
So much for that one month Xbox headstart if true!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/20/ign-news-ps4-release-date-possibly-revealed

I believe that was from a European retailer as well, implying we could see an Oct 29 release in the US.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 21, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2013, 02:30:49 PM

So, in regards to controllers since I know a bunch of folks weren't terribly fond of the PS3 controller, there has been a ton of articles talking about how great the PS4 controller is and what an improvement it is over the Ps3 controller.  Jeff Gerstmann and the rest of the GB crew on the latest Bombcast even go so far as to say they think they may like it better than the XB1 controller.

I like the ps3 controller better then the xbox 360 controller.   So I hope they did not change it too much.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 21, 2013, 02:50:54 PM »

yep, that date definitely looks Euro-style.  from what I've read Call of Duty Ghosts is supposed to be a day one title for both consoles and Amazon just updated the release date for both to November 5th.  granted, they've released games for consoles/handhelds before the actual system has released, but a PS4 launch date of 11-5-2013 for the US wouldn't surprise me.

of course they could both cause total fanboy chaos at the stores and release both on the same day smile

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 21, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »

The earlier the better! I can't wait as it is! I can't believe it's almost 5 months away.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 21, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 12, 2013, 03:54:44 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on June 12, 2013, 03:33:34 AM

Quote from: skystride on June 11, 2013, 04:49:33 PM

Now that Sony won the internet...

Finally, my "Sony won the internet" Google alert brings me back to GamingTrend!

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

TML is alive!

Depward
Depward
Depward

(Does that work?)

Hello!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #805 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »

Apparently, trouble comes in two's.

biggrin biggrin

Welcome back!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 21, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 21, 2013, 06:02:06 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 12, 2013, 03:54:44 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on June 12, 2013, 03:33:34 AM

Quote from: skystride on June 11, 2013, 04:49:33 PM

Now that Sony won the internet...

Finally, my "Sony won the internet" Google alert brings me back to GamingTrend!

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

TML is alive!

Depward
Depward
Depward

(Does that work?)

Hello!

eek
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »

good to see you both again thumbsup

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 22, 2013, 12:02:41 AM »

w00t!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #809 on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:36 AM »

the gang's getting back together again, just in time for the big flame war.  Tongue

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: June 22, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »

So, rumors have been flying all day about the release of the PS4 being moved up to the last week of October, to beat the Xbox One out of the gate and due to great production that they are seeing from their manufacturers in China. Sony is pretty confident that they can hit the USA with a huge amount of consoles in time for a late October launch. Battlefield 4 and Assassins Creed 4 come out the last week of October, so it could launch along side of them.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: June 22, 2013, 06:03:03 AM »

Eh, I think Sony definitely wants to do that. As you say, there are a lot of advantages to doing that.

However, they have to make sure all the launch titles can be done by then. Even just giving the devs a few more weeks into November could be enough to get things sorted out.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #812 on: June 22, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »

The preorder allotments are getting crazy. I saw an article talking about how a Gamestop had an allotment of 138 PS4s for preorders, but just got a memo that their allotment would be "unlimited" until further notice. There were 66 actual PS4 preorders in that store's system at the time. The Xbox One had an allotment of 18, with 12 actual preorders. It's looking like early production is going very well for Sony, allowing them to adjust the estimated number of available consoles upwards. Meanwhile the opposite seems to be true for Microsoft, indicating that they're having very low yield (which matches earlier rumors that stated they could be as low as 30%).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: June 22, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »

To be honest yield issues sort themselves out over time, and MS has the same kind of money and clout that Sony has to pull itself out any initial hardware woes.

I think we'll see PS4 in the lead, but like the PS3 this gen, the XB1 profitable and nearby behind.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 22, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »

If I were Sony, I'd be working closely with the major developers to make sure that when these systems hit, that games look just a little better, load a little faster, etc. on PS4 than XB1. And make absolutely certain that the exclusives are on time and fantastic. That would help cement a lead in the early phase of this next generation.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 25, 2013, 08:04:51 AM »

To those people who are worried about the lack of PS4 launch titles,we still have GamesCom this August where its rumoured SONY are to announce more PS4 games

The German trade show has been gaining momentum over the past few years,and there have been a lot of great announcements there in the past

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416010/sony-holding-back-new-ps4-titles-for-gamescom/

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO Jim Ryan said:

"We very consciously at the [PS4 reveal] event in New York on February 20 showed a lot of software, a lot of first party software. What we did at E3 was really show some updates to those games and introduce The Order 1886.

"There's a lot [of games] coming. I'm sure you heard from Shuhei [Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studios] that he has, just from his studios, 30 games in development. 20 are going to ship within the first year of the console's life and of those 12 are new IPs, so there's a lot going on, it's just that we need to keep stuff back. We've got Gamescom for us Europeans and we need something to show at Gamescom."

This year's Gamescom runs from August 21-25 in Cologne, Germany. Microsoft and Nintendo will attend Gamescom 2013 after both skipped last year's show. Other confirmed attendees include Bethesda, Deep Silver, EA, Konami, Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

with the upcoming next gen machines,this years GamesCom could should be even better

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #816 on: June 25, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »

There were a lot of first party studios that we know were working on stuff that didn't show at E3. Looking forward to seeing which ones show up.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 25, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 25, 2013, 08:04:51 AM

To those people who are worried about the lack of PS4 launch titles,we still have GamesCom this August where its rumoured SONY are to announce more PS4 games

The German trade show has been gaining momentum over the past few years,and there have been a lot of great announcements there in the past

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416010/sony-holding-back-new-ps4-titles-for-gamescom/

"We very consciously at the [PS4 reveal] event in New York on February 20 showed a lot of software, a lot of first party software. What we did at E3 was really show some updates to those games and introduce The Order 1886.

"There's a lot [of games] coming. I'm sure you heard from Shuhei [Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studios] that he has, just from his studios, 30 games in development. 20 are going to ship within the first year of the console's life and of those 12 are new IPs, so there's a lot going on, it's just that we need to keep stuff back. We've got Gamescom for us Europeans and we need something to show at Gamescom."

This year's Gamescom runs from August 21-25 in Cologne, Germany. Microsoft and Nintendo will attend Gamescom 2013 after both skipped last year's show. Other confirmed attendees include Bethesda, Deep Silver, EA, Konami, Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

with the upcoming next gen machines,this years GamesCom could should be even better

I'm still worried that any game announced will be for 2014.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 25, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 25, 2013, 01:36:11 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 25, 2013, 08:04:51 AM

Probably, but honestly I think the launch lineup looks pretty solid as launch lineups go.  I'd like to see Wipeout or something snuck in there though.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #819 on: June 25, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »

really hoping for Rockstar to make a showing.  Good to hear that Deep Silver is going.  I want more detail on their next open world Zed game.  I wonder what Bethesda could be showing off.  every sign points to both FO4 and ES6 being too far away from public showing.  same with Prey 2.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 25, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 25, 2013, 04:25:14 PM

really hoping for Rockstar to make a showing.  Good to hear that Deep Silver is going.  I want more detail on their next open world Zed game.  I wonder what Bethesda could be showing off.  every sign points to both FO4 and ES6 being too far away from public showing.  same with Prey 2.
Probably Elder Scrolls online, playable with the new first person view.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 25, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »

this, but hopefully they have a surprise or two.  with the exception of Knack all of the 'confirmed' day one titles that I am interested in I plan on buying for the PC.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #822 on: June 25, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 25, 2013, 07:42:43 PM

this, but hopefully they have a surprise or two.  with the exception of Knack all of the 'confirmed' day one titles that I am interested in I plan on buying for the PC.

I just bought a very powerful (and expensive) PC, but even with that in place I'm still more likely to buy the multiplatform games for PS4, at least unless there turns out to be a large graphical difference between the two versions (which I doubt). For me the large TV, surround sound, couch, PS4 controller, trophies, and the share features and other new functionality on the console are important factors.

Also, PC versions are likely to be delayed at least a month for no other reason than to encourage sales of the console versions. This is particularly true for Ubisoft.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 25, 2013, 08:25:24 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 25, 2013, 08:11:00 PM

This is particularly true for Ubisoft.

no doubt about that, they already delayed AC 4 to 'make sure it's good on the PC', but I can wait.

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 25, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 25, 2013, 08:11:00 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 25, 2013, 07:42:43 PM

this, but hopefully they have a surprise or two.  with the exception of Knack all of the 'confirmed' day one titles that I am interested in I plan on buying for the PC.

I just bought a very powerful (and expensive) PC, but even with that in place I'm still more likely to buy the multiplatform games for PS4, at least unless there turns out to be a large graphical difference between the two versions (which I doubt). For me the large TV, surround sound, couch, PS4 controller, trophies, and the share features and other new functionality on the console are important factors.

Agreed.  PC is for cheap games that I'm not super amped on playing day one.  Otherwise it's going to be console for me every time.

I bought a couple of titles this gen for PC due to the graphics differences (FC3, Bioshock Infinite).  That won't be happening next gen.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: June 26, 2013, 11:59:03 PM »

I think this may already of been said,but anyway,if true......it was a good move,not really bothered about the camera,and that goes for KINECT AS WELL MICROSOFT!!!!

Report:SONY ditched the PS4 Camera bundle to Undercut the Xbox One

Sony had originally planned to launch the PlayStation 4 at $499 - the exact same as the confirmed and much-debated Xbox One launch price.

That's according to 'multiple sources' speaking to IGN, who claim that the firm revised its pricing strategy 'in the months leading up to E3', ditching plans to bundle a PS4 Camera with every console to accommodate an undisclosed price drop of $100 to the eventually announced $399 PS4 price.

According to the report, Sony discretely notified retailers of its decision to remove the Camera from the PS4 box, but said nothing of its reduced price to avoid word getting back to Microsoft.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 27, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »

saw that earlier.  interesting.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »

To be frank, the Eye would never have worked any better than the Kinect2. There's still interesting things to be done with it, as shown by Media Molecule, but that can be handled later.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: June 27, 2013, 04:09:49 AM »

This doesn't surprise me. Didn't Sony say that the PS Eye would be mandatory during their February reveal?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 27, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »

I just bought a very powerful (and expensive) PC, but even with that in place I'm still more likely to buy the multiplatform games for PS4, at least unless there turns out to be a large graphical difference between the two versions (which I doubt).

I built a high end gaming PC last year so I'm in pretty good shape for the foreseeable future. However, I'm making a conscious effort to try to go console as my primary gaming platform this generation. The reason is that I'm tired of chasing the dragon of upgrading components and drivers. I just don't have the time anymore to devote to it like I used to. I need cheap, reliable gaming that I don't have to think about.

In the next 3 years or so that's going to be a difficult adjustment since my PC will probably be able to play everything that comes out and I can probably get it cheap if I choose to wait. However, that mindset should start to pay off after that point when my video card starts showing its age.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 27, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »

PS4 as dev friendly as PSOne
He explained his reasoning using the term "time to triangle" - a phrase which essentially means how long it takes coders to create usable graphics with the hardware.

In a slide presented to the audience, he claimed that programmers commonly required one to two months to produce low-level graphics code on PlayStation One.

Cerny then claimed that the PS2 - a system remembered for its complex and sophisticated architecture - required three to six months of coding for studios to get going.

"Triangle counts are misguided," was, according to Cerny, what Kutaragi had told him. As a result, the PlayStation 3 was the most complex system yet, requiring six to twelve months for studios to build usable graphics code.

Cerny said that, prior to Sony releasing the PS3, first-party PlayStation studios were struggling with the hardware.

"The third party teams were having an even more difficult time," he said.

At launch, the internal focus shifted from sharing technology (to help devs) to working on launch titles (to create games). Cerny said much of the direction in the creation of PS3 was "clearly a mistake".

As the key PS4 system architect, Cerny said that in 2008 he sent a questionnaire for third parties to ask what features they wanted on future hardware.

After speaking with more than thirty teams from around the world, he said the most popular request from developers was unified memory - a requirement which the PS4 team fulfilled.

Cerny said the company was tempted to add an eDRAM chip to the system, as it would increase the memory speeds in further, but eventually declined as it would mean more work for studios to get running.

"The straightforward approach we have gives us excellent day one performance," he claimed.

Altogether, the "time to triangle" on PlayStation 4 takes about one or two months, Cerny claimed, which theoretically makes the system as developer friendly as the original PlayStation.

This ease of use benefits the "vital" third parties, and in particular indie developers, Cerny said.

it's going to be a very interesting next gen

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 27, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »

I have heard the 360 was a lot easier than the PS3 to develop for.  I had also heard that this was switching this gen.  I'd love to see a comparable chart for the Xbox lineage.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 27, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 27, 2013, 02:51:24 PM

I have heard the 360 was a lot easier than the PS3 to develop for.  I had also heard that this was switching this gen.  I'd love to see a comparable chart for the Xbox lineage.

Agreed and yeah i heard about 360 being easier....be very interesting if 360 was more than 1-2 months,which could be possible as we only knew the 360 was easier than PS3's 6-12 months

It really does look like SONY have learnt where they went 'wrong',so to speak

On another note,i would not be surprised if we get a greater flood of HD remakes or ports onto this new system to go with all the new games(and i am fine with that)

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 27, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »

The 360 was built a lot like a PC, much more so than the PS3, so the coding was pretty much worked out prior to even going into the 360. I think this will be the same with both next gen consoles. They are both very much like a high end PC, so the coding should be all stuff that transfers from prior work.

At least I hope so, it can only be good for both consoles.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 27, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 27, 2013, 03:38:10 PM

The 360 was built a lot like a PC, much more so than the PS3, so the coding was pretty much worked out prior to even going into the 360. I think this will be the same with both next gen consoles. They are both very much like a high end PC, so the coding should be all stuff that transfers from prior work.

At least I hope so, it can only be good for both consoles.

But how much do they have to worry about the dual OS setup and such?  I'm honestly not sure.  I would hope that MS would make it so that you don't have to worry about that at all, but I wonder.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: June 27, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »

It's my understanding (and it's both limited and maybe wrong) that the main differences between developing for the Xbox One and the PS4 is that the former uses Direct3D and has a similar RAM architecture as the 360 had, while the latter uses OpenGL and has unified RAM. I've also heard developers say (before the original Xbox One conference) that Microsoft prevented them from digging into the fundamentals of the console, while Sony encouraged them to do this for the PS4.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 27, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »

It's pretty crazy how radically Sony shifted in attitude from PS3 to PS4. They must have been SERIOUSLY pissed at losing (at least in the short term) the console war against Microsoft last gen. (Yeah yeah I know everyone lost to Wii but seriously Nintendo - you could sell twice as many consoles as Sony and Microsoft combined and you'll still be the red-headed stepchild in third place).

Almost as stunning is Microsoft's attitude shift from gamer-friendly console superstar to arrogant technology overlord. This is like one of those movies where the two people switch bodies. I'm convinced that somewhere Steve Ballmer woke up in the body of a Japanese man.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 27, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 27, 2013, 07:07:49 PM

It's pretty crazy how radically Sony shifted in attitude from PS3 to PS4. They must have been SERIOUSLY pissed at losing (at least in the short term) the console war against Microsoft last gen. (Yeah yeah I know everyone lost to Wii but seriously Nintendo - you could sell twice as many consoles as Sony and Microsoft combined and you'll still be the red-headed stepchild in third place).

Almost as stunning is Microsoft's attitude shift from gamer-friendly console superstar to arrogant technology overlord. This is like one of those movies where the two people switch bodies. I'm convinced that somewhere Steve Ballmer woke up in the body of a Japanese man.

Well Phil Harrison does work for the Xbox division at MS now and he was part of SCE back during the PS3 era.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 27, 2013, 07:27:43 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 27, 2013, 07:07:49 PM

or a Japanese spirit possessed him biggrin

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 28, 2013, 01:55:54 AM »

Man, I am not going to miss the PS3. I sat down tonight to play Resistance 3, and between system update, game update and game install I think it was over 30 minutes before I could actually start playing.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: