http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 04:38:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 53137 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: June 12, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 12, 2013, 03:19:15 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2013, 03:00:33 PM

Wait, does the launch edition have premium packaging?

Well, looking at Amazon both the Day One XB1 and Launch PS4 are sold out, but they are still selling regular editions.   MS discussed their Day One system, but I haven't heard anything from Sony about a Special Launch SKU for the PS4.  Probably Launch is just there initial stock they are allocated

My post had the details, here it is again:

Product Alert
The standard version of the PlayStation 4 is identical to the Launch Edition. Due to high demand, we cannot guarantee Release-Date Delivery on the standard version of the PlayStation 4. We will deliver the standard version of PlayStation 4 as close to its release date as possible.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 12, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

Wow, thanks for the size comparison pic.  From all the standalone pics I've seen so far I just assumed all these consoles were about the same size.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 12, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2013, 03:57:33 PM

Wow, thanks for the size comparison pic.  From all the standalone pics I've seen so far I just assumed all these consoles were about the same size.
That's what I was thinking too before I saw the comparison picture.  The PS4 has a smaller footprint and it's slimmer.  

The comparison picture also makes me shake my head in disapointment at MS not even trying with their console design for the Xbox one.  I'm looking forward to reading the industry development post-mortem on the Xbox One whenever that comes out.  That can't have been their concept design.  They have very talented people working for them, and that's the best they could do?  I find that really hard to believe.  I'm thinking they ran up against a time contraint and just said "F**k it, put it in a rectangular box, we don't have enough design/production time anymore.  Some people will like the minimalist, blu-ray player look."      
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:00:09 PM by Roguetad » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 12, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

Cheesy video, but it shows the PS4 interface and community features.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OegYm1dM9g
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 12, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 12, 2013, 05:29:10 PM

Hey baby, wanna join my clan? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 12, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »

Fake. Pretty girls don't play games.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 12, 2013, 05:38:23 PM »

The irony here:

1.   PS4 has a video of a guy that is having trouble with a game and references a girl's uploaded video to help himself out.

2.  Microsoft puts a girl on stage for some sort of strange spectacle where she is made fun of for being an inferior 'girl gamer' followed by implications that she is being 'raped'.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 12, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 12, 2013, 05:38:23 PM

The irony here:

1.   PS4 has a video of a guy that is having trouble with a game and references a girl's uploaded video to help himself out.

2.  Microsoft puts a girl on stage for some sort of strange spectacle where she is made fun of for being an inferior 'girl gamer' followed by implications that she is being 'raped'.

The thing about that MS presentation is that the second time they play she reveals she was faking and beats him soundly. Except everyone thought the first bit was so bad no one noticed.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

CVG

Sony: PS4 multiplayer fee 'will fund improvements'

In an interview with CVG at E3, Yoshida explained the move was necessary to maintain a high quality service and facilitate improvements and expansions.
"That's [was] a big decision," he said, "what we internally discussed and decided is that we will continue the free access to online play on PS3 and Vita, so that's clear. But because on PS4 the online connectivity features such as second screen, auto downloads and share features - these are one big pillar of the PS4 experience and we will continue to invest in this area to expand and improve these online features and services.

"If we keep giving away online access for free, the natural pressure is that we have to cut down on the cost to provide this free service. But that's conflicting with our goal of being able to provide very robust and great online services going forward. So we decided that on PS4, because we want to continue to invest and improve our new services, we've asked the most engaged consumers in the online activities to share the burden with us so that we can continue to invest."

During its E3 press conference Sony revealed PlayStation 4 owners must subscribe to PlayStation Plus for $5 a month to play online multiplayer and access a number of additional benefits.

"To make the pain a little bit less we will continue to offer free content with instant game collections, discounts and early access to betas on PS4 as well," Yoshida continued.

"So at the beginning we typically picked from older games for the instant game collection on Vita and PS3, but because everything is new on PS4 we decided to make a smaller version of Drive Club with all the online features open, included in that instant game collection on day one.

"In addition to that we add one digital game every month, so they get high quality indie games as well on top of what they get on PS3 and Vita. So hopefully that makes people's decision easy to join PS Plus."

During the press conference Sony confirmed PlayStation Plus memberships will carry over to PlayStation 4, so current members will have access to all of the benefits across PS3, PS Vita and PS4 for one price.

Sony later confirmed in a Tweet that PS4 users that aren't Plus members "can still enjoy single-player games and access to media services won't require Plus".

PlayStation 4 will launch this Christmas in Europe and North America for 399 USD / Euros or 349 GBP. A free PlayStation Plus version of Drive Club will be available to Plus subscribers at launch.

IMO,its not paying for Online access,for me its getting even more for your PS+ sub Tongue  icon_wink

A free PlayStation Plus version of Drive Club will be available to Plus subscribers at launch

I wonder what exactly that means?..same version as retail ?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:37:02 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:44 PM »

No, it's already been confirmed that the Drive Club PS+ edition will have fewer tracks and cars than the retail version.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 12, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 12, 2013, 06:39:44 PM

No, it's already been confirmed that the Drive Club PS+ edition will have fewer tracks and cars than the retail version.

ahh,okay thanks Teggy,i must of missed that

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: June 12, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2013, 01:48:17 PM

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 12, 2013, 05:46:06 AM

so.. PS4 _won't_ have 'paid online play'?

Pretty sure it's $5/month if you want to play online multiplayer on the PS4.

that was in reference to the gif, which was implying the PS4 would not have paid online multiplayer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 12, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 12, 2013, 06:39:44 PM

still, not bad for free.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 12, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 12, 2013, 08:57:32 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on June 12, 2013, 01:48:17 PM

Quote from: hitbyambulance on June 12, 2013, 05:46:06 AM

so.. PS4 _won't_ have 'paid online play'?

Pretty sure it's $5/month if you want to play online multiplayer on the PS4.

that was in reference to the gif, which was implying the PS4 would not have paid online multiplayer

Yup, understood.  You put a question mark so it made it look like you were asking a question.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 13, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »

do you think that the PS4 will use a similar type of HDD as the PS3 does now?

I am thinking about buying a BIG Hard Drive before the PS4 comes out and then when i get the machine i can swap the HDD straight away

500 gig i don't think will last,especially if we have to install Blu Ray games,the games will only get bigger as time goes on won't they?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 13, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 13, 2013, 10:24:48 AM

do you think that the PS4 will use a similar type of HDD as the PS3 does now?

I am thinking about buying a BIG Hard Drive before the PS4 comes out and then when i get the machine i can swap the HDD straight away

500 gig i don't think will last,especially if we have to install Blu Ray games,the games will only get bigger as time goes on won't they?

I think it is the same type of hard drive....but not 100% positive.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 13, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »

It is confirmed that the new proprietary hard drive is powered entirely by anti-Microsoft rage.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 13, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 13, 2013, 12:49:27 PM

It is confirmed that the new proprietary hard drive is powered entirely by anti-Microsoft rage.

icon_lol

The only difference I can see possibly happening is a SSD instead of a traditional laptop drive, but given the price, that seems extremely unlikely.  And they're certainly not going to put a full-sized HDD in there, so it should be the same laptop drive.

And, yeah, mo, 500gb isn't going to last long.  OTOH, it'll probably last for a bit, and the price of drives is constantly falling, so you may be better off waiting.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:50:05 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 13, 2013, 11:36:23 PM »

wow, people are already listing the PS4 on eBay.  this $949 starting bid with 1 game and a 'bonus' ends in about 10 minutes, but the big one is this one.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 14, 2013, 12:03:57 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 13, 2013, 11:36:23 PM

wow, people are already listing the PS4 on eBay.  this $949 starting bid with 1 game and a 'bonus' ends in about 10 minutes, but the big one is this one.

I think I'll stick with my Amazon pre-order.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: June 14, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »

Just pre ordered in the uk. The Game was saying the PS4 is pre ordering like hot cakes but not the Xbone.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: June 14, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 12, 2013, 04:57:55 PM

The comparison picture also makes me shake my head in disapointment at MS not even trying with their console design for the Xbox one.  I'm looking forward to reading the industry development post-mortem on the Xbox One whenever that comes out.  That can't have been their concept design.  They have very talented people working for them, and that's the best they could do?  I find that really hard to believe.  I'm thinking they ran up against a time contraint and just said "F**k it, put it in a rectangular box, we don't have enough design/production time anymore.  Some people will like the minimalist, blu-ray player look."       

I'm not planning on buying the Xbone anytime soon, but the design I like.  I prefer consoles that don't look out of place with the rest of my A/V equipment.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

Sony has upped their sales forecast for the PS4.

PS4 preorders are outpacing Xbone preorders with 3 sold to every 2 Xbone.    How many Xbone preorders are people doing what I did (and Soulchilde) by preordering as a precaution with intention to cancel if MS doesn't do a reversal?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: June 14, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 14, 2013, 11:58:02 AM

PS4 preorders are outpacing Xbone preorders with 3 sold to every 2 Xbone.

And that's only for the US market, which has always been the 360's strongest market. The numbers I've heard for Norway and the UK shows 4 PS4 preorders for every Xbox One preorder.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 14, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »

Source? 3:2 is a lot closer than I imagined it would be. Just goes to show you that the people who post regularly on forums are not the core audience.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 14, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »

A bunch of anecdotal evidence that Gamestop is actively discouraging people from buying the Xbone:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589166

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 14, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 14, 2013, 12:11:58 PM

Source? 3:2 is a lot closer than I imagined it would be. Just goes to show you that the people who post regularly on forums are not the core audience.

Oh, I think the XB1 will do fine this holiday, due to the "dudebros" who don't care or know about what the system is/does....they just know it's XBOX and that is what they play Call of Duty on, so they are getting it. The real test will be next year, if it is still $100 more expensive than the PS4 and more people know about the DRM/Cloud/no renting of games thing.

Will be very interesting...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 14, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 14, 2013, 01:06:42 PM

A bunch of anecdotal evidence that Gamestop is actively discouraging people from buying the Xbone:

When I went in to preorder the PS4, the manager was ecstatic that I was preordering that PS4. He was saying that Sony hit a homerun and playing up the system like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I asked about the XB1 and he just laughed and pretty much made it sound like it was the worst system he had ever had the displeasure to sell/take preorders for.

Anyway, it makes sense for them, business wise to push the PS4 with all the DRM on used games and such. The publisher has to specifically opt-out of the DRM, in order to allow the game to be traded in. It is defaulted to being on. How many do you think are going to do that, especially in the first 60 days of the release of the game?

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 14, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 14, 2013, 11:58:02 AM

Sony has upped their sales forecast for the PS4.

PS4 preorders are outpacing Xbone preorders with 3 sold to every 2 Xbone.    How many Xbone preorders are people doing what I did (and Soulchilde) by preordering as a precaution with intention to cancel if MS doesn't do a reversal?
+1
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: June 14, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 14, 2013, 01:14:56 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 14, 2013, 01:06:42 PM

When I went in to preorder the PS4, the manager was ecstatic that I was preordering that PS4. He was saying that Sony hit a homerun and playing up the system like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I asked about the XB1 and he just laughed and pretty much made it sound like it was the worst system he had ever had the displeasure to sell/take preorders for.

I had a similar experience at Game yesterday. The people behind the counter had nothing good to say about the Xbox One, and I got the impression that they actively discouraged people from preordering it, instead advising them to go for the PS4.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: June 14, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »

Not surprising, and that is likely a corporate mandate for employees just like pushing trade ins. A bit shady but we all know why they're doing it.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 14, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »

E3 2013: PS4 Outpacing Xbox One Pre-Orders - http://pulse.me/s/qd2HZdVJK
Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 14, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2013, 02:11:59 PM

Not surprising, and that is likely a corporate mandate for employees just like pushing trade ins. A bit shady but we all know why they're doing it.

No,their relationship with MS is still important, and if GameStop doesn't reserve their allocation, MS will give it to someone else. What you are seeing is the fact that the people that run and work in these stores are people just like us. They are telling customers the same things many of us would. Now, I wouldn't put it past corporate having some kind of incentive for PS4s, like a contest or something.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 14, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »

Is the ps4 really 50 % more powerful than the XB1?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 14, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on June 14, 2013, 03:02:53 PM

It has significant advantages in memory bandwidth and raw GPU performance, yes. I don't necessarily think that will show up immediately, but over time should make a difference. What might be event bigger factor is if significant amounts of CPU power are reserved for all the system stuff in the background, as has been suggested. If the XB1 has more CPU overhead, that could make the difference even more apparent from the start.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 14, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 14, 2013, 03:21:45 PM

It has significant advantages in memory bandwidth and raw GPU performance, yes. I don't necessarily think that will show up immediately, but over time should make a difference. What might be event bigger factor is if significant amounts of CPU power are reserved for all the system stuff in the background, as has been suggested. If the XB1 has more CPU overhead, that could make the difference even more apparent from the start.
XB1 triple headed OS would appear to have a much bigger RAM requirement than the PS4, so the PS4 should have more RAM available for games as well even though they both have 8 overall.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: June 14, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 14, 2013, 03:36:41 PM

Quote from: Misguided on June 14, 2013, 03:21:45 PM

XB1 triple headed OS would appear to have a much bigger RAM requirement than the PS4, so the PS4 should have more RAM available for games as well even though they both have 8 overall.

The numbers I've seen are 3 GB reserved for the OS on the Xbox One, with roughly 500 MB reserved on the PS4. I don't think we've heard anything definite about this though.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 14, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »

Yeah, the Xb1 has some major limitations with it's RAM with the whole three OS thing. A huge chunk of it is going to be reserved for that monster OS. That and the RAM itself is quite a bit slower than the PS4's RAM.

Also, as others stated....the CPU and GPU are underpowered as well, compared to the PS4.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 14, 2013, 05:18:15 PM »

Per Giantbomb

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »

dear god, why not just put it next to a stack of MD 20/20?  domestic trash beer puke

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: