http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 71222 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: June 05, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »

not a big surprise; the first two are SOE games and Planetside 2 should work fine with a controller while DCUO is already on the Ps3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 07, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »

Well, E3 is almost upon us. Sony has been awfully quiet so far but they'll probably show their hand at E3. What do you think their news will end up being (regarding the console). Predictions?
Almost exactly the same thing as MS?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 07, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 07, 2013, 12:56:52 PM

Well, E3 is almost upon us. Sony has been awfully quiet so far but they'll probably show their hand at E3. What do you think their news will end up being (regarding the console). Predictions?
Almost exactly the same thing as MS?

It's as simple as this for Sony:

1. Hit the PS4 exclusives hard.
2. Verify that there is no online connection required and a better DRM than Microsoft.
3. Sit back and watch the WINNING!

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: June 07, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »

Yep, lot's exclusives, and gameplay for the exclusives that have already been announced. I want a full gameplay demo of Infamous:SS at the very least. We already got a demo of Killzone:SF. They would kill the crowd if they showed off whatever PS4 game Naughty Dog was working on. Likewise, there's quite a few Sony studios that we haven't seen anything from in a long time.

Sony should take a moment to mention certain games by name that are multiplatform, but forbidden to show it on their system due to deals by MS. MS has been paying some 3rd parties specifically to not show anything off or even mention they're on the PS4.

We do know that MS will have a lot of games, that said, likely at least half will be kinect2 titles, so Sony will really have to show off core games.

I don't think the DRM situation is going to go our way, despite Sony seeing the controversy with MS right now. There's just too much pressure from publishers and retailers.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:27:28 PM by Turtle » Logged
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 07, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

Yeah. I agree with what's posted above. Here's what Sony needs to do:

--Unveil the console
--Show the games: Metal Gear Solid V, next gen God Of War, Killzone, InFamous:SS, new Uncharted.. and the freaking Last Guardian
--Laugh all the way to the bank.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 07, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »

I don't understand this mantra of "pressure from publishers".      All Sony has to do in light of this firestorm over DRM and used games is come out and say:  "we aren't doing that sh**.   Go buy Microsoft if you want draconian DRM and used game policies".

The market would FLOCK to Sony, they would sell most of this generations of consoles, and the publishers would be FORCED to put games on the platform because of the money they would be losing if they didn't.    It's simple math.   They are NOT going to abandon something as significant as the PS4 over used games no matter how much posturing or threatening they are doing.

Sony -- do the right thing.   Tell them to get in line and follow the leader.   This is the chance to torpedo Microsoft One before it even gets out of the shipyard.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 07, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 07, 2013, 03:48:15 PM

I don't understand this mantra of "pressure from publishers".      All Sony has to do in light of this firestorm over DRM and used games is come out and say:  "we aren't doing that sh**.   Go buy Microsoft if you want draconian DRM and used game policies".

The market would FLOCK to Sony, they would sell most of this generations of consoles, and the publishers would be FORCED to put games on the platform because of the money they would be losing if they didn't.    It's simple math.   They are NOT going to abandon something as significant as the PS4 over used games no matter how much posturing or threatening they are doing.

Sony -- do the right thing.   Tell them to get in line and follow the leader.   This is the chance to torpedo Microsoft One before it even gets out of the shipyard.

That's so crazy, it just might work.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 07, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 07, 2013, 03:51:50 PM

That's so crazy, it just might work.

I don't think it's crazy at all. It's a clear win if they do that. They have the exclusives, their hardware is the most powerful, they have the online infrastructure, now deliver a CONSOLE and not a DRM machine.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 07, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »

A lot of free to play stuff has been getting announced for PS4.  Warframe, Blacklight, Planetside 2, DCU, and others.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:28:58 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: June 07, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »

Only thing I'm interested in so far is Planetside 2 for PS4, I can finally get a group together to play it.

Funny rumors have said League of Legends is coming to consoles, but unless the game changes significantly, it's not going to happen. That game is too mouse driven and it's as twitchy as you can make an RTS-style controlled game.

I'm fine with, neigh, glad to see free to play games come to consoles. The good F2P games will set the bar for future non-F2P games that try to sneak their crap onto the system, and the more games the merrier.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 07, 2013, 05:11:34 PM

Funny rumors have said League of Legends is coming to consoles, but unless the game changes significantly, it's not going to happen. That game is too mouse driven and it's as twitchy as you can make an RTS-style controlled game.

I would like to see that.  Not a straight port as it would be pretty tough to do some things with a joystick but perhaps a sequel where champions are designed around joystick controls.  It wouldn't be a first, there is that Lord of the Rings MOBA already on consoles.  How are the controls in that one?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 07, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »

Quote from: skystride on June 07, 2013, 05:35:08 PM

Quote from: Turtle on June 07, 2013, 05:11:34 PM

I would like to see that.  Not a straight port as it would be pretty tough to do some things with a joystick but perhaps a sequel where champions are designed around joystick controls.  It wouldn't be a first, there is that Lord of the Rings MOBA already on consoles.  How are the controls in that one?

Remember the PS4 controller is going to have a touchpad on it too, so there's some potential for interesting things with that.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: June 07, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Content is king - and publishers PUBLISH the content.

If Sony doesn't offer up something compelling, it'll make your head spin how fast content becomes "Xbox exclusive". If MS's "Draconian" (read: the same thing XBLA and PSN use today) strategy makes devs and pubs happier, introduces a better model where their stuff isn't being re-sold and canabalizing their own position in the marketplace, then Sony is going to have crickets.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 07, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 07, 2013, 08:08:27 PM

If Sony doesn't offer up something compelling, it'll make your head spin how fast content becomes "Xbox exclusive". If MS's "Draconian" (read: the same thing XBLA and PSN use today) strategy makes devs and pubs happier, introduces a better model where their stuff isn't being re-sold and canabalizing their own position in the marketplace, then Sony is going to have crickets.

Then they need to suffer the wrath of the consumers and lower their goddamn prices for games if they are going to only let us borrow a game by forking over $60 for it.   

Seldom do I lament corporate greed, but the Music industry and the Gaming industry have become poster boys for it.    It's a MASSIVE industry with loads of money flying around, but go ahead and roll over for their fleecing of the consumer Purge.   I will NOT.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 07, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »

Also -- EU regulators passed laws that make second hand selling and trading of games legal from what I'm told.   Or rather they made the prohibition of it illegal.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 07, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »

Sony has already won the indie devs by allowing them to self publish to the PS4, so this coming cycle you are mostly going to see indies on PS4 and PC
IMO.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 07, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 07, 2013, 08:51:05 PM

I don't understand this mantra of "pressure from publishers".      All Sony has to do in light of this firestorm over DRM and used games is come out and say:  "we aren't doing that sh**.   Go buy Microsoft if you want draconian DRM and used game policies".

The market would FLOCK to Sony, they would sell most of this generations of consoles, and the publishers would be FORCED to put games on the platform because of the money they would be losing if they didn't.    It's simple math.   They are NOT going to abandon something as significant as the PS4 over used games no matter how much posturing or threatening they are doing.

Sony -- do the right thing.   Tell them to get in line and follow the leader.   This is the chance to torpedo Microsoft One before it even gets out of the shipyard.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Content is king - and publishers PUBLISH the content.

Then they need to suffer the wrath of the consumers and lower their goddamn prices for games if they are going to only let us borrow a game by forking over $60 for it.  

Seldom do I lament corporate greed, but the Music industry and the Gaming industry have become poster boys for it.    It's a MASSIVE industry with loads of money flying around, but go ahead and roll over for their fleecing of the consumer Purge.   I will NOT.

Well lets be clear here... the video game industry is NOT doing well: https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AEA&ei=eUqyUej0L8qXiQLIlQE

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 07, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »

I don't understand this mantra of "pressure from publishers".      All Sony has to do in light of this firestorm over DRM and used games is come out and say:  "we aren't doing that sh**.   Go buy Microsoft if you want draconian DRM and used game policies".

The market would FLOCK to Sony, they would sell most of this generations of consoles, and the publishers would be FORCED to put games on the platform because of the money they would be losing if they didn't.    It's simple math.   They are NOT going to abandon something as significant as the PS4 over used games no matter how much posturing or threatening they are doing.

Sony -- do the right thing.   Tell them to get in line and follow the leader.   This is the chance to torpedo Microsoft One before it even gets out of the shipyard.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.  Content is king - and publishers PUBLISH the content.

Content is king when content drives hardware sales.  But if something else is driving hardware sales, such as giving out a rallying cry of "We're with you" and that's where all the hardware sales go, the publishers will follow.  The need to sell their content to the widest audience possible is more powerful than the need to control the industry.

Sony does have an interesting line up of exclusive games already, and if they can turn this E3 speech into a mea culpa for their hubris last gen while simultaneously saying they will allow used game sales and trading with your friends and, what the hell, backwards compatibility because it's about the games, damnit!! And they can keep that attitude going through launch, they'll sell a shit-ton of consoles and the publishers will follow.

It's not going to happen, of course, but it could work.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 08, 2013, 05:42:00 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 07, 2013, 02:45:20 PM

2. Verify that there is no online connection required and a better DRM than Microsoft.

They may not require a constant/updating connection but people hoping the PS4 won't have the same or very similar used game policy are gonna be real disappointed.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 08, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »

I would love to see Sony do well (IF they release a consumer friendly console) even without the big name publisher's games but I'm not as confident as some of you that we could trust the masses to actually do what's in their best interest.  History has shown time and time again that 85% of the population are goddamned morons and they might go for the console that has COD XXV even if it means subjecting themselves to overwhelming restrictions. I do know that if the people rejected Microsoft's new console and flocked to a DRM free (well not totally free of course) Sony console without 1st party publisher support that the publishers would cave in an instant. Unfortunately I can't say I trust the populace enough for that to happen.  Likely we'll never get a chance to find out as I suspect that Sony will go the same route as Microsoft and in that case, a pox on both their houses. But unfortunately I don't think even that would come to pass. Not substantially enough for publishers to see the light and console games will go out with a whimper rather than a bang, slain by the iPad.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 08, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 08, 2013, 08:11:16 AM

I would love to see Sony do well (IF they release a consumer friendly console) even without the big name publisher's games but I'm not as confident as some of you that we could trust the masses to actually do what's in their best interest.  History has shown time and time again that 85% of the population are goddamned morons and they might go for the console that has COD XXV even if it means subjecting themselves to overwhelming restrictions. I do know that if the people rejected Microsoft's new console and flocked to a DRM free (well not totally free of course) Sony console without 1st party publisher support that the publishers would cave in an instant. Unfortunately I can't say I trust the populace enough for that to happen.  Likely we'll never get a chance to find out as I suspect that Sony will go the same route as Microsoft and in that case, a pox on both their houses. But unfortunately I don't think even that would come to pass. Not substantially enough for publishers to see the light and console games will go out with a whimper rather than a bang, slain by the iPad.

It's true that these things we and the gaming press are bemoaning are unknown to most consumers who will be buying a console in the fall, but if Sony really were to take this bull by the horns (which, again, will not happen, but we can dream), they would be advertising the hell out of this point, and the message would absolutely start to get through.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 08, 2013, 05:39:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2013, 02:35:02 PM

Quote from: Canuck on June 08, 2013, 08:11:16 AM

It's true that these things we and the gaming press are bemoaning are unknown to most consumers who will be buying a console in the fall, but if Sony really were to take this bull by the horns (which, again, will not happen, but we can dream), they would be advertising the hell out of this point, and the message would absolutely start to get through.

My dream is for Sony to come out in E3 attacking the DRM and used game policies by Microsoft.     They could reference the policies by the 'other major console producer' whilst standing in front of a screen plastered with this:

Then move on to their console, that promises to fight against these policies.    Ask for the consumers' help to win this battle so that they can force a change of momentum in this industry.    YOU own your games when you purchase them.   Help us make PS4 the platform that makes that happen.

End credits.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 08, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2013, 02:35:02 PM

It's true that these things we and the gaming press are bemoaning are unknown to most consumers who will be buying a console in the fall,

I mostly agree, but the XBone shenanigans is reaching mainstream news more than I'd expect it to.  My totally non-gamer father struck up a conversation about the XBone used game policy after reading some article on the NY Times.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 08, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »

why has it taken 16 pages to compare Microsoft to Nazi's?  Tongue icon_lol icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 08, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »

God, this thread just jumped the shark.

ban

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 08, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »

So what do you expect from Sony on the DRM front? They have stated they do not require an Internet connection so they can't be using the same method as MS. On the other hand, they've been awfully quiet instead of immediately taking advantage of the situation. Do you think they have a system that is just as bad?  They have a patent for on-disc RFID...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: June 08, 2013, 10:11:18 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 08, 2013, 09:38:00 PM

They have stated they do not require an Internet connection so they can't be using the same method as MS.

Technically, if that's the wording they used, they could still allow publishers to make the decision, just like Microsoft does.

We'll just have to wait and see what Sony does. They've been serious enough about being the good guys this time around that I still have hope, but I'm not betting on anything at this point. Just a few more days now...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 08, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 08, 2013, 09:38:00 PM

So what do you expect from Sony on the DRM front? They have stated they do not require an Internet connection so they can't be using the same method as MS. On the other hand, they've been awfully quiet instead of immediately taking advantage of the situation. Do you think they have a system that is just as bad?  They have a patent for on-disc RFID...
My only hope is that they're not going the DRM route but rather than talking about it now they're keeping it under wraps so they can drop a huge bombshell at E3 and completely take MS by surprise. Of course, that's just my fantasy. The reality is that they're probably going to do something very similar to MS and just so happen to have someone working there with a brain who realizes that it's better to keep quiet about info like that.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 09, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »

Sony could use this one instead:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 09, 2013, 12:29:17 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 08, 2013, 08:09:12 PM

why has it taken 16 pages to compare Microsoft to Nazi's?  Tongue icon_lol icon_lol

comparing things to Nazi's is fun though!

Spoiler for Hiden:

although if you really want to get creative you can take the Xbox logo and do some photoshopping to make it a swastika too.  get to it <insert random chumps name here>!

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: June 09, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »

I have to say that I find the Twitter messages of the "we're listening" type very encouraging though (this was from the DRM campaign). I have a hard time imagining Sony representatives posting such supportive messages if they were about to give us bad news.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 09, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 09, 2013, 07:28:26 AM

I have to say that I find the Twitter messages of the "we're listening" type very encouraging though (this was from the DRM campaign). I have a hard time imagining Sony representatives posting such supportive messages if they were about to give us bad news.

I have a hard time believing MS would agree to this used game system(that they themselves don't make money on), take all this heat and let Sony have the PS4 run used games like they are now on the current generation. If they did then MS has royally screwed up.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: June 09, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on June 09, 2013, 09:09:48 AM

I have a hard time believing MS would agree to this used game system(that they themselves don't make money on), take all this heat and let Sony have the PS4 run used games like they are now on the current generation. If they did then MS has royally screwed up.

Having bought a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled a few days ago, I can easily see Microsoft doing stupid shit like that. They have no real influence over what Sony does anyway. Microsoft may have taken a massive chance with the hope that publishers would have their back and that Sony would do the same thing. It could backfire horribly, and already has to some degree.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 09, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »

Why would you think they won't be making money on the sale of new licenses?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 09, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 09, 2013, 03:09:38 PM

Because they've said as much. Check the last two bullet points. We shall see of course but that's the current official information.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 09, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »

Hopefully Sony is just doing the old "give them enough rope" strategy to Microsoft and will pleasantly surprise us this week.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 09, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 09, 2013, 03:33:56 PM

Quote from: Misguided on June 09, 2013, 03:09:38 PM

Because they've said as much. Check the last two bullet points. We shall see of course but that's the current official information.

Uh, ok. Maybe I'm confused. I thought the whole deal was that people were going to have to buy a license to play the game. That makes it sound like they intend to handle the transfer of licenses to retailers then back out to other customers. Sounds like a big convoluted mess.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: June 11, 2013, 03:08:33 AM »

So, just to have the info in the proper thread.

PS4 $399

No online requirement.

No used game limitations, just disc based games.

However, to play multiplayer online now requires PSN+, but PSN+ is keeping its other features, including additional games.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:03 AM »

I could buy two full priced games for the difference in price between PS4 and XB1(350/430..games are 40)

I know there are a few games on the Xbox that i want,but wow......not even sure i will pick it up at all now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:22 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 11, 2013, 03:08:33 AM

However, to play multiplayer online now requires PSN+, but PSN+ is keeping its other features, including additional games.

and start offering more Vita games each month.  there's a whole selection of PSOne classics out there that they could easily offer up.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: