http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 12:58:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 58   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 45040 times)
pingwrx and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: May 24, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 24, 2013, 02:10:51 PM

I owned a playstation and ps2 and they were great consoles.  I was really pissed with the ps3.

Sony promised so much before the release and when it came out, it was mediocre to crappy at best.  Eventually when developers figured out the stupid hardware, they were able to make games that were at the same level of the 360, it took a long time.  That is a far cry from what appeared to be a system that was supposed to blow away the 360.  All the power of cool cell processor tech they were hyping turned out to be Sony BS.  There were so many other blunders along the way like the Home, security issues, Move etc.

I have very little confidence in Sony because their upper management seem to be clueless.  Has there been a lot of changes in leadership that lead people to believe that they may get back on track with the PS4?

Most of the leadership from the PS3's launch time have been retired, or shoved off into non-important areas. Sadly, with Japanese companies these entrenched executives never truly go away, but the people in charge now seem to know what made the PS3 a failure at launch.

If you watched anything of the PS4's reveal, they showed off developer friendly PC-like architecture, all sorts of developer friendly programs and features, etc. The whole thing reeked of corporate style humility, which is not the same as real humility, but it's enough to show that they understand what went wrong.

They also picked up Gaikai, a gaming and networking oriented company and have been putting their tech and expertise to good use since Internet based stuff isn't Japan's strong suit.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: May 24, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 24, 2013, 04:18:22 PM

If you watched anything of the PS4's reveal, they showed off developer friendly PC-like architecture, all sorts of developer friendly programs and features, etc. The whole thing reeked of corporate style humility, which is not the same as real humility, but it's enough to show that they understand what went wrong.

They even talked openly about the mistakes they made with the PS3. It was the kind of humility that really restores one's faith in their ability to deliver. If they mess this up, they're done. Luckily it seems like they won't mess it up.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: May 24, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 24, 2013, 04:45:06 PM

They even talked openly about the mistakes they made with the PS3. It was the kind of humility that really restores one's faith in their ability to deliver. If they mess this up, they're done. Luckily it seems like they won't mess it up.

Well, they haven't announced pricing yet.  Let's avoid aspirational.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 24, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on May 24, 2013, 05:13:12 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 24, 2013, 04:45:06 PM

Well, they haven't announced pricing yet.  Let's avoid aspirational.

Agreed. While the Xbone has generated a lot of ill will from me, I expect to not be interested in either console because I expect them to be so expensive. Honestly, if they came out at $300, I would have to think hard about whether I wanted a console with a sparse amount of games at that price. Given that I don't think anyone thinks they will be that cheap, I am defintely not planning to be an early adopter. As I said in the xbone thread, a large portion of my gaming this gen was done with borrowed games and discounted steam games.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »

What are the odds that they're going to come out with a console that's as cheap as the 7 year old console that they're currently producing? My guess is that both consoles will be at least $399 minimum. Which isn't exactly a lot of money when you think about it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »

$350, or close to that seems reasonable. That's about the cost of a good PC with equivalent hardware. Actually, they could probably go less if it wasn't for the GDDR5.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised with a $300 price point due to how common the internal components of both systems are, they would only have to subsidize for a short time.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 25, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »

The 360 launched at $399 and the PS4 much higher. These will both be above $400 at launch.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: May 25, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on May 25, 2013, 01:58:46 AM

The 360 launched at $399 and the PS4 much higher. These will both be above $400 at launch.

IMO, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that your prediction is correct. $399 is the upper level they'll go for. However, it's quite likely that they'll have models that cost more, for example with a bigger HD.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: May 25, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »

Hmm... well I retract my earlier opinion, $300-$350 would be great, but it's not going to happen on release. $400 is what they'll price it at, any higher and they've lost. If you look at the prices for the PC components that roughly match what they're shipping with, that's about as low as they can go.

The hardware specs for both systems are almost exactly the same. So I don't expect as much price variation. People say that the PS4's GDDR5 will make the system cost more, but you have to remember MS will be packaging the Kinect2 and have to have extra processing hardware to handle the higher quality input and processing of that information.

And yeah, there will be a $450 - $500 model with bigger HD and probably an extra accessory for both consoles.

I'm actually really excited for both consoles, more for the PS4 of course, but the thing is, we can actually expect some really good launch titles for next gen, or games very close to launch. Both companies have been preparing for this fight for years now, securing first, second, or third party exclusives, and generally funding a new generation of games with these deals. PS4 already has shown the new Infamous, which I'm aching to play, and the Killzone, which will make a nice shooter distraction. MS will have something to fill the Halo gap, and some other interesting stuff. 3rd Parties are clearly well prepared for next gen as well, especially since the architectures have made it easy to develop on both system (still costly, but now porting between both systems is much easier due to very similar hardware). So, we're all in for a storm of awesome gaming come release, no matter which console you decide to get.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: May 25, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »

I'm just crossing fingers and toes for a PS4 Uncharted announcement at E3. That could be a game changer. smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: May 26, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 25, 2013, 01:50:54 PM

I'm just crossing fingers and toes for a PS4 Uncharted announcement at E3. That could be a game changer. smile

How is that a game changer? It's another PS exclusive title, it'll help draw in previous PS3 owners who liked Uncharted perhaps, but game-changer? The Wii, for all it's craptacular execution, was a game-changer. XBL was a game-changer (certainly for consoles). The Dual-Shock controller? Game changer.

The last Uncharted didn't impress me enough to play more than 2 hours of it (or at least, there were other things that were able to pull me away enough that I never felt the pull to complete the "AAA" title).  It looked nice, it played alright - IIRC the demo irked me as I was shooting 15+ rounds into dudes wearing wife-beaters and they just. wouldn't. die, and while the cinematics were well executed, I think either Nathan or the story just didn't resonate with me. I realize I may be in the minority on that, but I'd be hard-pressed to select a single game in the last console generation that was a "game changer".

I am looking forward to playing inFamous - though the smoke character doesn't have me all that excited. I loved the first two - played each once through with each option (good/evil).

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:20:52 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: May 26, 2013, 01:23:03 AM »

It's a game changer for people who are undecided about whether to get a PS4 on launch day, which is what we were talking about Purge.  Roll Eyes

And NO DUH about a single game not changing anything, but as I was talking about, there's going to be a lot of titles available on, or closer to release day for this next generation of consoles.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 26, 2013, 02:34:56 AM »

There was one absolute game changer in the last gen - Wii Sports. (For better or worse...)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 26, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 25, 2013, 09:55:46 AM

Hmm... well I retract my earlier opinion, $300-$350 would be great, but it's not going to happen on release. $400 is what they'll price it at, any higher and they've lost. If you look at the prices for the PC components that roughly match what they're shipping with, that's about as low as they can go.

The hardware specs for both systems are almost exactly the same. So I don't expect as much price variation. People say that the PS4's GDDR5 will make the system cost more, but you have to remember MS will be packaging the Kinect2 and have to have extra processing hardware to handle the higher quality input and processing of that information.

And yeah, there will be a $450 - $500 model with bigger HD and probably an extra accessory for both consoles.

SONY did say they wish to keep console prices low(they have learnt from PS3 launch that hurt them)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ps4-price-sony-to-keep-console-costs-low

The Sony PS4 has been specifically designed to keep console costs low in an attempt to steer clear of the huge losses suffered at the launch of the PS3.

“Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with the launch of PS4,” said Sony CFO Masaru Kato, during the company’s earning call where it announced Sony ‘s first annual net profit in five years.

Kato’s comments suggest that the PS4 price will fall somewhere at or near the console’s cost price. Previously rumours back in February suggested that the PS4 price could be less than £300, citing internal documents claiming the PS4 will cost 40,000 yen (£259.84).

300 quid would be fantastic(i paid £425 for my PS3)

I wonder if perhaps they'll wait for Microsoft to announce their price and then SONY can undercut them?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:24:16 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

Yeah, I paid 600 pounds for my PS3 back in the day - and then came the extra controller, HDMI cable and 2 games...700 pounds or thereabout. So crazy, and not something I can do easily again today.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: May 26, 2013, 01:08:51 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 26, 2013, 02:34:56 AM

There was one absolute game changer in the last gen - Wii Sports. (For better or worse...)

Bundled with the Wii which is why I stated the Wii. IIRC Wii Sports wasn't sold separately (at the time) Tongue

Quote from: Turtle on May 26, 2013, 01:23:03 AM

It's a game changer for people who are undecided about whether to get a PS4 on launch day, which is what we were talking about Purge.  Roll Eyes

And NO DUH about a single game not changing anything, but as I was talking about, there's going to be a lot of titles available on, or closer to release day for this next generation of consoles.

So then NOT a game-changer, but a +1? Sure, I can use the rolly-eyes too. For me Uncharted is less of a +1 - I'd be more inclined to see if they could capture the magic of the first two twisted metals.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 26, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »

If Sony comes out at E3 and says "you can play used games on our console, and we won't charge you or the retailers for them", then they have a chance to put their boot on M$'s throat.   
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 26, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 25, 2013, 07:06:56 AM

IMO, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that your prediction is correct. $399 is the upper level they'll go for. However, it's quite likely that they'll have models that cost more, for example with a bigger HD.

I heard that the XBone would cost $499, but $299 if you entered into an agreement for two years of Live Gold at $14.99 a month. I think that is nuts though, if true. If they do a sub/un sub version of the Xbone then they need to keep it to $399/$199 or something like that, especially considering the somewhat underpowered aspect of the console compared to the PS4.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 27, 2013, 12:59:34 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on May 26, 2013, 08:41:41 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 25, 2013, 07:06:56 AM

I heard that the XBone would cost $499, but $299 if you entered into an agreement for two years of Live Gold at $14.99 a month. I think that is nuts though, if true. If they do a sub/un sub version of the Xbone then they need to keep it to $399/$199 or something like that, especially considering the somewhat underpowered aspect of the console compared to the PS4.

$180 per year for live service?   that has to be wrong -- either that or Microsoft is deliberately trying to lose this generation.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: May 27, 2013, 01:44:38 AM »

Never underestimate peoples' fallability for the monthly payment over up front.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: May 27, 2013, 03:18:09 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 27, 2013, 01:44:38 AM

No kidding.  Just tell that to all the people signing up for $2400 2-year phone contracts to save $300 on a phone.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:17 AM »

I called gamestop today. No pre-orders yet.  They are supposed to send me a email as soon as it is possible. 

I plan on having mine paid off before it ever comes out.  Hah, I hopes its not $600 bucks.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: May 27, 2013, 04:24:33 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on May 27, 2013, 04:21:17 AM

I called gamestop today. No pre-orders yet.  They are supposed to send me a email as soon as it is possible. 

I plan on having mine paid off before it ever comes out.  Hah, I hopes its not $600 bucks.

I haven't talked to any stores yet since it's too early. We'll probably have a price by the end of E3, and then I'll head out and place a preorder for what seems increasingly likely to be the PS4. smile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 27, 2013, 04:57:44 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 27, 2013, 03:18:09 AM

No kidding.  Just tell that to all the people signing up for $2400 2-year phone contracts to save $300 on a phone.

Not the same. There's no discount in postpaid service for paying full price for the phone. And the technology differences in the US means that there's at most one other national carrier to which you could take any phone you purchase. And none of them compete on price.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 27, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »

Rent-A-Center baby!

Buy a $300 TV for $600 over 5 years.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 28, 2013, 03:00:02 AM »

I'm a little concerned about Sony because in regards to DRM and used games, Sony's silence so far has been deafening. They have Microsoft in a deathgrip here and all they have to do is squeeze but so far there's been nothing. If Sony wasn't planning to do something to similar MS wouldn't they be tweeting to the heavens right now? I have a very pessimistic feeling right now.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 28, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 28, 2013, 03:00:02 AM

I'm a little concerned about Sony because in regards to DRM and used games, Sony's silence so far has been deafening. They have Microsoft in a deathgrip here and all they have to do is squeeze but so far there's been nothing. If Sony wasn't planning to do something to similar MS wouldn't they be tweeting to the heavens right now? I have a very pessimistic feeling right now.

Yeah i am a bit worried about that

Maybe they are scrambling to get rid of the feature(or a similar feature) in their consoles to be able to get the squeeze on MS
icon_cool <<those glasses are rose tinted icon_wink

EDIT: there is a campaign that urges SONY to get rid of the 'Xbox One policies'
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-28-sony-execs-respond-to-ps4nodrm-online-campaign

Sony employees have acknowledged a campaign aimed at convincing the company not to restrict used PlayStation 4 games.

The issue of limiting second hand game sales was reignited last week when Microsoft mentioned plans to regulate their use on Xbox One. Then, over the weekend, GameTrailers' Geoff Keighley hinted that Sony may still potentially follow suit.

"Microsoft is getting beaten up a lot on it," Keighley explained. "Sony, I think, has been seen as this kind of white knight so far that's not going to restrict used games. Based on some of the things I'm hearing, I don't think that's entirely true, because I can't see publishers allowing one system to do one thing and one do another."

"This is why I love PlayStation fans - the passion bucket overflows," Sony's head of hardware marketing John Koller wrote in response to the campaign.

"Humbled by the outpouring of passionate PlayStation fans and their willingness to talk to us directly," said SCEA producer Nick Accordino. "Please know that we hear you. <3"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:14:28 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: May 28, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »

Just because they hear us, doesn't mean they'll listen. Remember that their own shareholders, publishers, and non-used retailers will also be screaming in their ears.

It's a complex situation. I wonder if there could be some in-between. They can still use that write to disk bit, or some kind of on-disc code that's read on install, where instead of it automatically locking to your account and becoming a digital version in essence, you can choose either to keep it free floating, or just tie it to your account becoming an installed digital version and you just throw away the disc. As much as I hate the MS implementation I understand the reasoning behind it because for all its issues, it does simplify it by having no choice in the matter.

One thing I am sure of though, is that there will be some kind of anti-used system built in. Whether that's an extension of the online pass, extra contant, or locked content.

Of course, sticking to the older console methods could reward them with huuuge market share considering the backlash, something they need to gain dominance. They can then turn that into more solid digital sales and PSN+ subs. We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:23:22 PM by Turtle » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »

Also, while official people have spoken about the used game situation at Microsoft, they have yet to officially announce what they plan.

It could be that they are hoping Sony comes out with some kind of official announcement, and then they counter with their actual official announcement and everything to that point was smoke and mirrors.

I don't think that's likely, and I think consumers would see right through that nasty bit of skullduggery, but there's still a dangerous dance going on and both parties are holding their dance cards close to their chest.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 28, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 28, 2013, 12:34:14 PM

It could be that they are hoping Sony comes out with some kind of official announcement, and then they counter with their actual official announcement and everything to that point was smoke and mirrors.

Their plan is backfiring. smile
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 29, 2013, 02:07:53 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 28, 2013, 03:00:02 AM

Because in the end its probably going to be a similar system on both consoles. ois just being smart and staying mum until it has to come out.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 29, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

While Microsoft keep getting further away from me,SONY on the other hand keep getting closer..and now have me thinking of buying a Vita,LOL

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-mandates-vita-remote-play-for-ps4-games

A trusted PlayStation 4 developer source with a proven track record for accuracy has told Digital Foundry that Sony has mandated Vita Remote Play for all upcoming PS4 games - except those that require the use of its bundled stereoscopic camera, the PS4 Eye.

The news is a shot in the arm for the beleaguered PlayStation Vita, which has failed to attract commercial success in line with Sony's hopes for the system, and sets the stage for the handheld to provide the same kind of off-TV play that makes the Wii U GamePad such a useful gadget for gaming around the home (and indeed elsewhere).

Remote Play works by downscaling the 1080p framebuffer to the Vita's native 960x544 resolution, using the PS4's in-built hardware h.264 video encoder to compress the image. This is then beamed out over WiFi to the Vita, which decodes the video and sends back controller inputs to the PlayStation 4. It's effectively OnLive cloud streaming technology relocated to the home - the difference being that image quality issues can be resolved through much higher-bandwidth video, while input latency is cut down considerably owing to the localised nature of the network.

before my PSP died,i quite enjoyed using Remote Play with my PS3

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »

just the title of the Kotaku article made me smile

SONY President Trolls Everyone

tweeting about news on "Death Ray Manta" coming to PSV Tongue

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: May 29, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »

Those execs have been trained since the PS3 debacle, I think it's reasonable that the PS4's DRM scheme will be a bit more lenient. But there will be something.

However, this'll be the last of its generation to do so, if not the last console.

Great news on the remote play. I suppose if MS has requirements on kinect and smartglass, not too unreasonable about the remoteplay aspects. However, this does mean PS4 dev kits will now need to include Vita stuff.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: May 29, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »

As much as I love the Vita, I'm afraid that forcing remote play for all titles means that some of them will have to restrict their control options so that they'll also work with the Vita's more limited selection of control (two less shoulder buttons and no L3/R3).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 29, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 29, 2013, 05:44:00 PM

As much as I love the Vita, I'm afraid that forcing remote play for all titles means that some of them will have to restrict their control options so that they'll also work with the Vita's more limited selection of control (two less shoulder buttons and no L3/R3).

Two fewer shoulder buttons, but a rear touch pad that double nicely for two of the buttons.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 31, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »

Sony CEO:  "The PS4 is first and foremost a video game console"

Zing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 31, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 31, 2013, 12:10:39 PM

that would be a step up from my PS3 experience, where I used it as a blu ray player biggrin

* CeeKay  ducks Canuck's ice skate.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »

GameInformer

Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online both coming to PS4(and Warframe)

Both titles will arrive this year. Release dates haven't been announced, and even if they had been we'd be unable to share whether they were launch titles or not. We'd need the PlayStation 4 launch date for that.

Additionally, Digital Extremes has announced it will be bringing another free game, it's third-person co-op shooter, Warframe, to PlayStation 4 during 2013. A companion app will allow players to schedule matches and handle crafting and inventory tasks while away from the game.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 58   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: