http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 11:19:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 52928 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »

I think it is fairer to say that Sony dominated last gen, but this gen not so much.

Lifetime sales numbers from wiki:

PS2 - 155 million
Xbox - 24 million
PS3 - 77 million (estimate since Sony hasn't been reporting numbers)
360 - 76 million

Sony will probably add on more to the PS3 total as I see MS doing the same thing with the 360 as they did with the Xbox.  of course, the more important lesson from last gen is:

Nintendo made bitches out of both of them biggrin

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:17:12 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 03, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

its 177 million for PS2 now? ...I read 150+ million a week or two ago  icon_lol

Maybe now IF SONY are ahead of 360(again,like i said on last page,depends where you read),they will start releasing numbers disgust

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 03, 2013, 11:14:11 PM

its 177 million for PS2 now? ...I read 150+ million a week or two ago  icon_lol

had too many numbers floating through my head-  it should be 155 million.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: March 04, 2013, 06:39:36 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 03, 2013, 08:29:06 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 03, 2013, 07:36:48 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 01, 2013, 04:08:31 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 01, 2013, 03:44:49 PM

where 360 at least had a year to establish itself, meant that PS3 was always behind in the race.

It did catch up eventually though. The PS3 lifetime sales are higher than the ones for the 360.

The PS3 lags behind the 360 globally, if you carve Japan off those numbers - their gaming culture is distinct in that, and MS has always struggled with that market (being an outsider - N and S are "local" and enjoy adoption rates just "cuz").

Why should we "carve Japan off those numbers"? We're talking about worldwide sales here. Whether or not you consider Japan to be a fair market for Microsoft is irrelevant.

You don't have to, if Japanese games are relevant to your gaming preference. I'm not talking about Squeenix-multiplatform games which have fair representation across the globe, but stuff like Noby-Noby-Boy? In Japan, PS3 kicks the crap out of the the 360 - but it seems to be fueled more to xenophobia (akin to racism) and that skews the results. If you want to consider that OK, go for it. :shrug: It's not going to change the fact that MS has been in the business for a little over 12 years, and they've caught up with, and in some cases, surpassed Sony.

Nor does it change the fact that Sony is still in business, and working hard to stay competitive. I'm glad both are here, and I'm grateful for PC gaming. Competition helps us all - I just can't vote for both parties off the hop- I just don't have the capital or the time.

But if I want to compare apples to apples, then I look at worldwide market sales that offer the competing platforms and that don't have obvious biases unrelated to the products offered.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:41:54 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: March 04, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 04, 2013, 06:39:36 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 03, 2013, 08:29:06 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 03, 2013, 07:36:48 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 01, 2013, 04:08:31 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 01, 2013, 03:44:49 PM

where 360 at least had a year to establish itself, meant that PS3 was always behind in the race.

It did catch up eventually though. The PS3 lifetime sales are higher than the ones for the 360.

The PS3 lags behind the 360 globally, if you carve Japan off those numbers - their gaming culture is distinct in that, and MS has always struggled with that market (being an outsider - N and S are "local" and enjoy adoption rates just "cuz").

Why should we "carve Japan off those numbers"? We're talking about worldwide sales here. Whether or not you consider Japan to be a fair market for Microsoft is irrelevant.

You don't have to, if Japanese games are relevant to your gaming preference. I'm not talking about Squeenix-multiplatform games which have fair representation across the globe, but stuff like Noby-Noby-Boy? In Japan, PS3 kicks the crap out of the the 360 - but it seems to be fueled more to xenophobia (akin to racism) and that skews the results. If you want to consider that OK, go for it. :shrug: It's not going to change the fact that MS has been in the business for a little over 12 years, and they've caught up with, and in some cases, surpassed Sony.

That's all fine and reasonable, but it doesn't really have anything to do with what we were talking about: Worldwide sales. Feel free to separate Japan from the world in the way you calculate these sales if you wish, but that has no bearing on the facts of the matter.

For the record, western companies can sell their stuff to great success in the Asian markets, which for example Blizzard has demonstrated quite clearly. Yes, it's a hard market to get into, but all it takes is effort. Microsoft never even tried, but that doesn't give anyone a free pass to disregard that market from worldwide statistics. That's just not how it works.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 04, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2013, 10:18:11 PM

I think it is fairer to say that Sony dominated last gen, but this gen not so much.

PS2 - 155 million
Xbox - 24 million
360 - 76 million

Sony will probably add on more to the PS3 total as I see MS doing the same thing with the 360 as they did with the Xbox.  of course, the more important lesson from last gen is:

Has Microsoft ever released the number of units that died because of the RRoD fiasco. I wonder what that does to the total number of units sold?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: March 04, 2013, 08:09:50 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 04, 2013, 07:59:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2013, 10:18:11 PM

PS2 - 155 million
Xbox - 24 million
360 - 76 million

Has Microsoft ever released the number of units that died because of the RRoD fiasco. I wonder what that does to the total number of units sold?

I seem to remember that the failure rate for the early PS3 models was surprisingly high as well, so it might not be a large factor in these numbers. Still, it would be interesting to know for sure.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 04, 2013, 07:05:32 PM

For the record, western companies can sell their stuff to great success in the Asian markets, which for example Blizzard has demonstrated quite clearly. Yes, it's a hard market to get into, but all it takes is effort. Microsoft never even tried, but that doesn't give anyone a free pass to disregard that market from worldwide statistics. That's just not how it works.

they should have added levels and XP grinding for your XBL avatar-  it would have been a massive hit!  icon_wink

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »

Microsoft never even tried,

First- we're talking Japan, a single country - not Asia. It is important to understand that distinction.

Secondly - you clearly haven't paid attention. Sorry if that comes off as abrasive, but there hasn't been so much effort to try and break into a market, IMO. getting more than a million sales is a landmark for them in Japan. The 360's were being outsold by Gameboy color, IIRC - their weekly sales were in the hundreds, and they worked closely with Japanese developers to try and drum up support. There's a reason Steel Battalion (+40 button controller) happened - it was to showcase their product to entice sales specifically in Japan. That's also where Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Last Remnant, Ninja Gaiden (first release, XBOX only) and even the XBOX/360 KOEI 'Warriors releases came from.

With cross-platform games being playable on both consoles, the original Xbox, and then the 360, had very little to offer without the effort they put in to woo Japanese developers.

As for "facts of the matter" it does matter.  Look at adoption rates, look at games that are multiplatform - that's where PS3 and 360 do battle. The exclusives may swing those in either direction, and as far as I'm concerned, the 150+ million console owners of the PS2 gen have split pretty close down the middle between the two in this latest generation - seeing that as a win for Sony is unlikely - just as unlikely as declaring the 360 as the king of this generation.

The competition is great, and lets neither console rest on its laurels. Hell, Nintendo's ridiculous hardware sales even put both of them on their heels, though I doubt that other than a few big N titles, the multiplatform giants still rocked it out on the two "next gen" consoles.

Right now we're sitting in a lobby waiting to be invited to the arena for the next battle, and I'm looking forward to the new hardware.

Frankly, my PC makes either console look like crap, and my PC ain't trying hard to do so.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 14, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »

Nvidia on losing out to AMD for PS4 partnership

GPU firm defiant after AMD wins contract; says partnership wasn't worthwhile

Tony Tamasi, a senior executive in charge of content and technology at Nvidia, appeared to suggest that his company did not want to pursue negotiations due to disagreements over costs and royalties.
"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tamasi told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay".

He added: "Having been through the original Xbox and PS3, we understand the economics of [console development] and the tradeoffs."

Sony's reason for choosing AMD to build the PlayStation 4 GPU is likely a secret that will remain within the PlayStation firm's executive circle. It is highly unlikely that Tamasi's version of events will be remarked upon by those at Sony who dealt with Nvidia during the talks.

It is also believed that AMD has won the contract to build GPUs for Microsoft's next Xbox, though this rumour has not been confirmed.

Tamasi appeared to suggest Nvidia is not too disgruntled at losing out on at least one major deal.

"We're building a whole bunch of stuff," he said.

"In the end, you only have so many engineers and so much capability, and if you're going to go off and do chips for Sony or Microsoft, then that's probably a chip that you're not doing for some other portion of your business.

"And at least in the case of Sony and Nvidia, in terms of PS4, AMD has the business and Nvidia doesn't. We'll see how that plays out from a business perspective I guess. It's clearly not a technology thing."

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: March 14, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »

Not really anything to say about that.

However, considering that Nvidia has just ported their proprietary techs over to the PS4, aka AMD platforms, I suspect AMD has already gotten a little bit of what they wanted out of the deal.

AMD is likely getting not that great of a deal, but they make up for it in volume and ability to have more control over the market in the future.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »

Wouldn't be surprising that AMD would be more accommodating in a deal since they are in tough times against Intel so they need something positive. Plus Nvidia is committing allot to mobile with Tegra.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2013, 05:34:14 AM »

Unity coming to Sony consoles this year.

Sadly, this piece of news will probably fly over the heads of most gamers, but it could be very significant. Sony has entered a deal with Unity where the latter will be able to make Unity work with PS4, PS Vita, PS Mobile, and the cloud gaming service. This should seriously lower the barrier of entry to these consoles for small developers. In particular, it should be good news to any of us who's into Kickstarter, as most of the big projects there use Unity. With this upcoming compatibility, those games will be much easier to port to Sony's consoles than ever before.

I really like this quote:

[Sony is] really focused on bringing the most creative studios, with an emphasis on independent developers, on board their platforms and we are leading the charge to make development awesome for studios of all sizes.

That right there is the main difference between Sony and Microsoft in my eyes.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: March 22, 2013, 05:55:42 AM »

This is news? Because, it seems to me that it's business as usual. Unity is a middleware engine, of course they would want to make sure it's usable on as many systems.

It is still a good thing, but it's not surprising at all.

Eh, we'll have to wait and see.

Just last generation, fresh off the success of the PS3, Sony was horrifically bad in its treatment of studios. So all this talk of being dev friendly is pretty much the only way they could go.

I doubt MS will be as bad as that, but it may be they're feeling a bit of the same big headedness that also hit Sony at the end of the PS2 era.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »

For next gen consoles,I am hoping it closes the gap between Consoles and PCs,and i don't just mean performance or graphics-wise

1)-I want more MMOs,i want to have a choice of MMOs-be it Final Fantasy 14 or Elder Scrolls Online or even Star Wars TOR(that's not been doing too great right?,why not a console version then?..can't hurt)...and right now i can only see the PS4 offering them(with FF14 to be released for PS3 and Microsoft telling Squeenix to piss off)

2)-Obviously i would like the range of games that the PC has to come to consoles as well...PC have some really varied and obscure games(even that Euro Truck Driver looks cool)

3)-and finally,i would like mods to be available...I would be very surprised if Microsoft would let that happen with them wanting a closed network with XBL,but to be honest i am not entirely sure how it works on PC and whether the mods are checked for security reasons before being released

I remember playing The Two Towers Helms Deep map and an Alice in Wonderland map(everything was big,while the players characters were small)on Call of Duty when i used to be a PC player-which didn't last long...some of the maps you could download were really great and clever,but i suppose companies want their pound of flesh for charging for (official)DLC now

Anyway,I am looking to PS4 for this if any of it could happen

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 22, 2013, 05:55:42 AM

This is news? Because, it seems to me that it's business as usual. Unity is a middleware engine, of course they would want to make sure it's usable on as many systems.

it's already on a bunch.  it's kinda turning into the Unreal engine.  wouldn't surprise me to see it on all the systems this gen.  still, good for Unity, they're becoming the new Unreal engine.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:02 AM »

You guys are missing that this is a tight integration between Unity and Sony, not just Unity porting their platform to work on Sony's products. They're getting access to low-level hardware, allowing game developers of all skill levels to easily do things like use the touch screens on the Vita, the Move camera on the PS4, or the sixaxis on the PS3. The cloud support is also interesting, as it implies that Unity developers can now integrate their games tightly with the PS4's new concepts for demos, streaming and sharing.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 22, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 22, 2013, 05:34:14 AM

Unity coming to Sony consoles this year.

Sadly, this piece of news will probably fly over the heads of most gamers, but it could be very significant. Sony has entered a deal with Unity where the latter will be able to make Unity work with PS4, PS Vita, PS Mobile, and the cloud gaming service. This should seriously lower the barrier of entry to these consoles for small developers. In particular, it should be good news to any of us who's into Kickstarter, as most of the big projects there use Unity. With this upcoming compatibility, those games will be much easier to port to Sony's consoles than ever before.

I really like this quote:

[Sony is] really focused on bringing the most creative studios, with an emphasis on independent developers, on board their platforms and we are leading the charge to make development awesome for studios of all sizes.

That right there is the main difference between Sony and Microsoft in my eyes.

Yeah, the Independent Games section of Sony's store is really impressive.

Unity is already working on all consoles.  More importantly, there's already a tight integration with the 360 allowing for use of the Kinect, even.  Plus it's either been released for WP8 or is just about to be.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: March 22, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2013, 12:38:56 PM

What, you're comparing to XBLIG, a concept that was brilliantly thought out, but which Microsoft did everything they could to hide, making it essentially worthless as anything but a learning tool? Or XBLA, which was very heavily controlled by Microsoft? Quickly, name 3 AAA 360-exclusives that aren't shooters!

Sony started out this generation as arrogant pricks, but they've compensated by showing a strong commitment to unusual and independent games. Don't take it from me. Read the post mortems from devs who have worked on games for the Vita compared to those who have tried to make something for XBLA. Microsoft comes poorly out of that comparison.

Microsoft had a big chance to become the most important supporter of indie games when they started the XBLIG initiative, but they squandered it completely. They've shown absolutely no interest in supporting anything but shooters for their AAA titles, and make it very hard for independents to make anything at all for XBLA (many still do, not because they are encouraged, but because they persevere).
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 22, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 22, 2013, 01:13:47 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2013, 12:38:56 PM

What, you're comparing to XBLIG, a concept that was brilliantly thought out, but which Microsoft did everything they could to hide, making it essentially worthless as anything but a learning tool? Or XBLA, which was very heavily controlled by Microsoft? Quickly, name 3 AAA 360-exclusives that aren't shooters!

Sony started out this generation as arrogant pricks, but they've compensated by showing a strong commitment to unusual and independent games. Don't take it from me. Read the post mortems from devs who have worked on games for the Vita compared to those who have tried to make something for XBLA. Microsoft comes poorly out of that comparison.

Microsoft had a big chance to become the most important supporter of indie games when they started the XBLIG initiative, but they squandered it completely. They've shown absolutely no interest in supporting anything but shooters for their AAA titles, and make it very hard for independents to make anything at all for XBLA (many still do, not because they are encouraged, but because they persevere).

I am, in fact, comparing nothing followed by the imploded "Minis" program and the currently imploding "mobile on Vita" program to XBLIG which still has a full page on the marketplace that is frequently updated with new games.

No one is spending advertising dollars on these because it's not the point for them.  Why would MS or Sony go out of their way to promote an indie game that doesn't really bring in any revenue for them?  The fact that MS put up such a big effort for so little reward to begin with is impressive, and the fact that it still exists on the marketplace and gets a full tab and isn't buried somewhere says something further.

I have a hard time tracking down these little games that Sony is supposedly putting so much effort into.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: March 22, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2013, 02:26:51 PM

I have a hard time tracking down these little games that Sony is supposedly putting so much effort into.

Better take another look at their PS4 press conference then, where an indie developer got to show off his small but ambitious project alongside all the big boys. Can you imagine Microsoft doing the same thing?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 22, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »

Geometry Wars, Portal, and Community Games (which eventually became XBLIG)

So, yes.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 24, 2013, 02:35:52 PM »

Gearbox seems to be pretty happy with the PS4 so far.

Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford is "really excited" about the PlayStation 4. Speaking during a panel at PAX East, the industry veteran not only stated his optimism for the new platform, but also praised Sony for inviting developers to the table when it came to designing the console itself.

"I'm really excited about it. I always love more power," Pitchford said of the PlayStation 4. "Since Sony's announced the PlayStation 4, I can probably at least say that it was really exciting for them to invite us to the process. That was new for Sony from our seat anyway."

http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2013/story.html?sid=6405836

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 24, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »

Since this is coming from Randy I'm guessing that in the end we'll find out the PS4 is not really a console but a piece of toast.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 24, 2013, 05:14:55 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on March 24, 2013, 04:49:20 PM

Since this is coming from Randy I'm guessing that in the end we'll find out the PS4 is not really a console but a piece of toast.
it was a very good piece of toast though.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2013, 04:28:21 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 24, 2013, 05:14:55 PM

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on March 24, 2013, 04:49:20 PM

it was a very good piece of toast though.

Which may, or may not scream obscenities at you while exploding into a pile of viscous fluid and sprouting a small volcano of money and ammo.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2013, 07:06:02 AM »

Toast 'splosion!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 27, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 27, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »

Aw, I wanted the death scene, as she doesn't have a point, the dismissive bitch.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 27, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

do you want some more details on the PS4?

Yeah,you do!

First up, multiplayer gamers will be pleased to know that Sony will include a mono microphone/headset with every PS4,

The firm also said that a split/screen multiplayer game could use the PS4 Eye to identify where players are sat and move the windows around to be suit each player's location in front of the TV.

The DualShock 4's lightbar - the illuminated panel across the top of the controller - will assist player recognition by shining a different colour on each controller in use. The lightbar, Sony said, can also be used for in-game effects such as gun muzzle flash health bars.

Sony also confirmed during the presentation that it will raise the PSN friend limit on PS4, according to IGN. It didn't specify what the new limit will be, but currently the PS3 enforces a 100-friend limit.

It also promised that every PS4 will come with a "very large hard drive", but again held off confirming capacities.

THe PS4 will also charge the DualShock 4 (via a USB cable) even when on standby, unlike the PS3, which has to be fully switched on to provide power to drained controllers.
does it?

Ohhhh this one is interesting
IGN also reports that the DualShock 4 controller will come with an extension port on it - likely to provide the possibility for add-ons in future. It will also revert back to regular digital buttons, doing away with the pressure-sensitive buttons on the PS2 and PS3 controllers due to the fact that no one used them on PS3.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: March 28, 2013, 03:35:47 AM »

Yeah, the only game I can remember that used the pressure sensitive buttons was Metal Gear, where you slowly let off a button to avoid shooting.

Really no point to keeping those, especially with all the other tech being added.

Good to hear about the controller recharging, that was a big peeve with the PS3.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 28, 2013, 03:47:12 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 27, 2013, 08:30:31 PM

do you want some more details on the PS4?

Yeah,you do!

First up, multiplayer gamers will be pleased to know that Sony will include a mono microphone/headset with every PS4,

The firm also said that a split/screen multiplayer game could use the PS4 Eye to identify where players are sat and move the windows around to be suit each player's location in front of the TV.

The DualShock 4's lightbar - the illuminated panel across the top of the controller - will assist player recognition by shining a different colour on each controller in use. The lightbar, Sony said, can also be used for in-game effects such as gun muzzle flash health bars.

Sony also confirmed during the presentation that it will raise the PSN friend limit on PS4, according to IGN. It didn't specify what the new limit will be, but currently the PS3 enforces a 100-friend limit.

It also promised that every PS4 will come with a "very large hard drive", but again held off confirming capacities.

THe PS4 will also charge the DualShock 4 (via a USB cable) even when on standby, unlike the PS3, which has to be fully switched on to provide power to drained controllers.
does it?

Ohhhh this one is interesting
IGN also reports that the DualShock 4 controller will come with an extension port on it - likely to provide the possibility for add-ons in future. It will also revert back to regular digital buttons, doing away with the pressure-sensitive buttons on the PS2 and PS3 controllers due to the fact that no one used them on PS3.

the only games I know to actually use the analog button presses was MGS.  other than that, I'd be hard pressed to name one other game.  Can't say that I would miss them though.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 28, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »

Yup,that's the only one i know as well,seen as though i was the butt of jokes on the MGS forums because i was on the 360 for the HD Collection

The 360 did a decent job at doing the same thing the pressure buttons do in MGS..left stick i think to put gun away when holding someone up,i actually liked that better because i wasn't shooting people by accident,but try telling that to hardcore MGS people finger

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 28, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »

Digital Foundry-Inside Playstation 4

says a lot about what i posted above with the PS3 controller,but it much more detail and then it goes into the inside specs,GPU's CPUs and frame rates and GDDR5 etc and what they are all capable of which always goes over my head,but i know that you guys love

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »

really its been 6 weeks since this thread had been posted in?-yes,it took me ages to find it

anyway

Sony insider-no delay for Europe and the PS4

Sony Computer Entertainment has determined Europe a high-priority territory in the next gen sales race and will ensure the PS4 launch is not delayed into 2014, CVG has learned.

But an insider involved with PlayStation's business strategy now expects Microsoft will make more aggressive advances into Europe as it fights for market dominance.

The source told CVG that Sony, having learned hard lessons from the 360's first-mover advantage, will renew efforts to maintain its success in the region.

Despite the neck-and-neck global lifetime sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 (both edging towards 80m units), the geo-breakdown of those numbers shows that Xbox's main business is in the US (40m) and UK (8m); two areas where it has been consistently dominant.

While PlayStation is hardly an insignificance in those two countries (about 25m sales in the US and 5m in the UK), it balances that with a healthy business across Japan and other parts of Europe. Although the chances of Xbox succeeding in Japan remain slim, its position across Europe could feasibly be strengthened.

US and Europe priority over "Safe" Japan
With Sony expecting Microsoft to tackle Europe more aggressively, CVG has heard from a company insider that PlayStation is "prepared to do whatever it takes" to ensure there is no PS4 delay across Europe.

It remains unclear whether there will be a PS4 supply shortage that would affect its output across any of the main three markets, but CVG understands that, if the launch stock is tight, the US and Europe will be the priority over the perceivably "safe" region of Japan.

All interesting stuff,but take note all this is not official,just from a apparent Sony insider..but it certainly will be interesting to see Microsofts plan

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: May 14, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »

There have been hints about this earlier, so it's not surprising. I'm extremely pleased with it however. I was prepared to have to wait until March 2014 to get my hands on a PS4 and/or Xbox Infinity (if that's its name), but now it's sounding as if I can join in with the rest of you come this winter. smile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 14, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere in the 13 pages but have they said anything about getting rid of the 'install' step for downloaded games?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 14, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 14, 2013, 01:08:46 PM

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere in the 13 pages but have they said anything about getting rid of the 'install' step for downloaded games?

I'll take that install step over the 15 steps it takes to install the weekly OS updates.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: May 14, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »

Yes, they have. Games won't have installs. In fact, you can start playing games even while they download. For this to work optimally the developer has to prepare the game for it, but in theory it should work for all games. It's just that some of them may require a larger part of the download to be finished than others before you can play.

With the streaming services in place you won't even have to start the download after purchasing your game, or you could play it right away, save to the cloud, and continue on your local version once it's done downloading.

Yes, they've really thought this through. smile This is one aspect where I suspect the new Xbox won't be able to compete.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: May 14, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 14, 2013, 01:55:36 PM

Yes, they have. Games won't have installs. In fact, you can start playing games even while they download. For this to work optimally the developer has to prepare the game for it, but in theory it should work for all games. It's just that some of them may require a larger part of the download to be finished than others before you can play.

With the streaming services in place you won't even have to start the download after purchasing your game, or you could play it right away, save to the cloud, and continue on your local version once it's done downloading.

Yes, they've really thought this through. smile This is one aspect where I suspect the new Xbox won't be able to compete.

XBL games have never required the install step - if you're referring to play-as-you-download, who knows. :shrug: I'm OK with XBLA titles having to download, but full system games? Regardless of platform, I'll still be picking up disks so I can trade them in.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: