http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:49:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 52779 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 15, 2013, 06:02:03 PM

and xbox live doesn't allow for a house account either, each individual family member has to pay for a Gold membership.  

That hasn't been the case for a while.

The Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack will includes four Xbox LIVE Gold accounts. So by purchasing an Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack, you get four memberships for less than the price of two individual Xbox LIVE Gold memberships.

A year of Family runs $99.99.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2013, 06:26:45 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on February 15, 2013, 05:45:46 PM

Another photo of the previously pictured controller.

It looks OK, nothing great.  I would actually prefer a bit more bulk to it.  As one of about three people who own one I have to say the WiiU controller is actually my favorite in a long time.  I have large hands and both the 360 and PS3 controllers cause my hands to cramp up after about 30 minutes.

This is just a prototype.  The final model will undoubtedly be different.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »

another pic here,but not sure if this is a mock up as it looks more like the DS3 with the handles and the touchpad being the same as the Vita one whereas on Lordnines pic the handles looked a little different(slightly longer) and the touchpad

they still not shown that trigger area have they?

from Lordnines pic,thank god there is a Headphone jack,.....sick of this Bluetooth crap

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 15, 2013, 06:26:45 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on February 15, 2013, 05:45:46 PM

Another photo of the previously pictured controller.

It looks OK, nothing great.  I would actually prefer a bit more bulk to it.  As one of about three people who own one I have to say the WiiU controller is actually my favorite in a long time.  I have large hands and both the 360 and PS3 controllers cause my hands to cramp up after about 30 minutes.

This is just a prototype.  The final model will undoubtedly be different.

Indeed.  I'm sure it will be shinier.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »

Yeah, headphone jack is a must. Those cheap and crappy bluetooth headsets never worked.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 15, 2013, 05:34:48 AM

Quote from: Jumangi on February 15, 2013, 03:25:57 AM

For the love of god change the placement of the analog sticks...I still can't stand playing FPS games on the Playstation because of that.

It's the other way around for me. I can't fathom why people feel the 360-controller has a better layout. The asymmetric placement of the joysticks makes absolutely no sense. Going from a 360-controller to a PS3-controller is like finally managing to reach that itch that has been bothering you for hours.

Better...explain how your thumbs hitting each other when trying to play is good design...its crap design. They took the original controller that didn't have sticks and just put them on without rethinking the design...its just plain lazy on Sony's part.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »

Interchangeable detachable D-pad and Left Stick is the way to go  ...there you will please everyone Tongue icon_wink

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on February 15, 2013, 08:57:03 PM

Quote from: TiLT on February 15, 2013, 05:34:48 AM

Quote from: Jumangi on February 15, 2013, 03:25:57 AM

For the love of god change the placement of the analog sticks...I still can't stand playing FPS games on the Playstation because of that.

It's the other way around for me. I can't fathom why people feel the 360-controller has a better layout. The asymmetric placement of the joysticks makes absolutely no sense. Going from a 360-controller to a PS3-controller is like finally managing to reach that itch that has been bothering you for hours.

Better...explain how your thumbs hitting each other when trying to play is good design...its crap design. They took the original controller that didn't have sticks and just put them on without rethinking the design...its just plain lazy on Sony's part.

If your thumbs hit each other when using that controller, you're doing it wrong. I've never ever had that happen to me. The thought has never even struck me. Regardless, the new design seems like it's wider, with more space between the sticks.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 15, 2013, 09:15:28 PM

If your thumbs hit each other when using that controller, you're doing it wrong. I've never ever had that happen to me. The thought has never even struck me.
Eh, I actually have a bit of the same problem. If I put more than just the tip of my thumbs on the sticks my fingers hit.  If I were to rest my thumb in the same position as it sits on the 360 controller I can actually touch the opposite joystick from the one my thumb is resting on.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:10 AM »

Never had that happen either. I guess I'll have to test it.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »

I got fairly small hands so that might be why I always preffered the PS controller to really anything else.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2013, 06:43:14 AM »

One fix might be just to make the middle area between the thumbsticks larger slightly.

But I guess we'll see next week.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 01, 2013, 05:36:29 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited about this announcement. Here's my predictions for things that will be revealed at the press conference:

- Near 100% backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3, but not native. To access this compatibility you must use the streaming service that will be announced at the same time. Instead of having the PS4 handle the compatibility, Sony's streaming servers deal with it for you. You will have access to all your PS Plus and PS Store titles this way. PS Plus may or may not be required to use this service in the first place.
- Tight integration with Vita as a controller, but also in other ways that will remind people of the Wii U.

New PlayStation to stream PS3 games

So, do I get to gloat yet? Do I? Do I? biggrin

Btw, I'm pretty confident this feature isn't going to be limited to PS3 games, but will work for PS2 and PS1 games as well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:26:12 AM by TiLT » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »

Damn you Tiiiiiiiilt!

I'll beat you in predictions next time!

I still don't think it's a good solution. They're still better off creating emulation, or using a recompiled exe.

But, at least this means the PSN's content delivery servers will be fast, and that the networking hardware can handle those speeds.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:57:23 PM by Turtle » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »

I hope they do a major overhaul of their online bandwidth then, because it's painfully slow all the time still.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

That's likely because of the PS3's hardware as well as the outdated PSN network. The PS3's network hardware was some cheap part that couldn't handle full speed connections, there was also some talk about the way the internal drivers were programmed also being an issue.

Hopefully, this gaikai purchase and usage will force them to make it right. It's the age of the internet, and digital distribution, you can't fool around anymore.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 16, 2013, 03:53:14 PM

I still don't think it's a good solution. They're still better off creating emulation,

The PS4 won't be powerful enough to run a software emulated version of a PS3 game. You're underestimating the amount of processing power it takes to write wrappers around the PS3's hardware features. The Cell processor is a highly specialized piece of hardware.

or using a recompiled exe.

That's not cheap, nor is it a quick job. The game code would have to be redesigned and rebuilt to be as close as possible to the original, and the entire game would have to go through quality testing once again, probably in multiple rounds. Not that this stops them. We've seen PS2-titles rebuilt for the PS3 before (God of War, for example), so it can be done. However, it will only be done for those titles where the publisher believes there will be sufficient sales to make up for the costs, and not many titles will be able to do that. Particularly when every (?) title can be streamed.

But, at least this means the PSN's content delivery servers will be fast, and that the networking hardware can handle those speeds.

The streaming servers may be using an entirely different service than the rest of the unit, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions about PSN in general just yet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »

they've been updating the February 20th site with videos showing the evolution of the Playstation.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »

more on us all being right about the streaming and other online integration.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »

Sony has been busy registering Playstation Cloud domains.

PlayStation-Cloud.com
PlayStation-Cloud.org
PS-Cloud.net.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »

More information from Kotaku Sounds like subscription based MP on tap with a Nov 13 US release

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 20, 2013, 12:04:44 PM

More information from Kotaku Sounds like subscription based MP on tap with a Nov 13 US release

There is no mention of subscription based MP in that article, and I would be very surprised if Sony went that route. Instead the article says that PS Plus will be expanded and called Playstation World. This ties into what I said earlier in this thread, when I speculated that the cloud service would require a PS Plus membership.

Leave your pitchforks at the door, people! This is a good example of a poorly formulated article leading to all kinds of misunderstandings.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

It wouldn't be surprising.

Microsoft has been getting away with charging people for multiplayer for years - and it continues to grow into a giant money maker for them. No doubt Sony wants to cash in on that pie too. (And if that turns out to be true, I'll likely just go back to PC gaming where it's always been free.)

Actually the more I think about it, the more I wonder if handheld gaming (android, iOS) could be the future. It's already all digital and the games are instantly available to millions - many are free or cost less than $10 then give you completely free online multiplayer.
I've been hooking my HTC Vivid up to my flat screen via HDMI, then using the MOGA game controller to play. Some of the games look so good (Modern Combat 4 in particular) you'd be hard pressed to think they weren't playing on my PS3 or 360.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 20, 2013, 01:11:12 PM

There is no mention of subscription based MP in that article, and I would be very surprised if Sony went that route. Instead the article says that PS Plus will be expanded and called Playstation World. This ties into what I said earlier in this thread, when I speculated that the cloud service would require a PS Plus membership.

Leave your pitchforks at the door, people! This is a good example of a poorly formulated article leading to all kinds of misunderstandings.

Just quoting this for later today...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »

Hmmm... What if every game you bought new came with a code for online access....

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 20, 2013, 04:07:14 PM

You do that. I wouldn't say something if I wasn't prepared to stand up for it.

Guys, there's nothing in that article talking about MP at all. It says that most online features will require PS Plus membership. How many online features does the PS3 have? Not many. On the other hand, Sony has been open about wanting the PS4 to be a social experience, which means it's going to have a lot of online features that are not MP. From the rumors alone, we should expect it to provide uploading of custom game videos, streaming of PS1-PS3 titles, streaming your games to your friends so they can watch you play live (without owning the game themselves), and other social enablers. These are the things they will charge for, not multiplayer. If MP was being charged for, you can bet your ass the article above would have pointed it out very clearly instead of being vague about it, because that would be big news.

There's also the question about what exactly they'd charge for when it comes to MP. Even Microsoft ran into so much trouble when they got that started that EA threatened to release no games at all for the 360 unless they were allowed to run their own MP servers, something Microsoft grudgingly accepted (and something that has lead to the annual server shutdowns from EA). Companies like EA and Ubisoft, and probably Activision as well, would probably want to run their own servers at this point, which would leave Sony charging for air. It's not worth it to them, and they know it. They'll continue their classic style of charging for content, not for MP, a feature they've publicly called a basic feature that should always be free.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »

I just cannot comprehend that Sony would give away their only competitive advantage by charging for MP. 
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »

I would be surprised if they announced such a move today.  Today is all about the positives and waiting to see what M$ does with their new console.  I would be shocked if they announced any pricing info too

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 20, 2013, 04:23:54 PM

I would be surprised if they announced such a move today.  Today is all about the positives and waiting to see what M$ does with their new console.  I would be shocked if they announced any pricing info too

I believe they'll talk about it at length actually. There's no pricing info because we already know the price for PS Plus, and that's the system they're continuing, perhaps under a different name.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »

From the Kotaku article:

The current plan, our source says, is to release them at $429 and $529, but that could change.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »

from that Kotaku article:

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.

I'm guessing that the online features that won't require a premium sub will be stuff like Netflix, Amazon, chat and Sony's other pay to use services.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

pictures of the new PS4 and controllers have been leaked

Spoiler for Hiden:
Okay ...I'm Sorry,alright??  Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2013, 05:25:04 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 20, 2013, 04:48:16 PM

From the Kotaku article:

The current plan, our source says, is to release them at $429 and $529, but that could change.

DISCIPLINE!!!!! icon_wink

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »

My prediction for the presentation today is disappointment.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 20, 2013, 05:37:23 PM

My prediction for the presentation today is disappointment.

well they have not actually officially announced that its the PS4 they are revealing,right?....be quite funny if it was a 'Sony Konect'* device for the PS3

*ring me SONY,you can use that one Tongue

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2013, 06:21:51 PM »

Oh,can i hope for one button to turn the machine off as well?

The 360 does it..why not the Playstation,i hate how you have to hold your finger down on the button and then wait for the green light to stop flashing and turn to red and then switch off at the back...or on the controller,you hold your finger down,then it asks you if you want to turn off the system or controller AND THEN you switch off at the back

can i just have 1 button,1 press please

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 20, 2013, 04:48:16 PM

From the Kotaku article:

= Suicide if true. And I guarantee MS comes in at 399.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »

Has Steam said (or hinted at) the pricing for their console?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2013, 06:59:04 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 20, 2013, 06:21:51 PM

Oh,can i hope for one button to turn the machine off as well?

The 360 does it..why not the Playstation,i hate how you have to hold your finger down on the button and then wait for the green light to stop flashing and turn to red and then switch off at the back...or on the controller,you hold your finger down,then it asks you if you want to turn off the system or controller AND THEN you switch off at the back

can i just have 1 button,1 press please

Uhm... you're doing it wrong?

You should never hard reset the PS3 like that unless it has crashed, and you should never have to turn off the power switch on the back (that one seems to be there more for safety than anything else). Always, always use the menus to turn the console off. There's nothing to it. I'll assume you're turning off your 360 by pressing the power button too? If so, you're lucky to never have experienced data loss. It's the same thing with Windows on a PC as well. Never use the power button except in emergencies!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »

I hope those aren't the real prices.  Over $500 is a lot to ask when there are plenty of great games still out there for the PS3 and 360.  At that price point they would really have to blow the doors off the current gen consoles.  I didn't pick up my PS3 until late in the current generation, at a much more reasonable price than the $600 something they originally launched with.  I may do the same thing this time if the prices are +$500 for the SKU with the better storage options.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: