http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:17:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 57667 times)
leo8877 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:51:54 AM »

According to Kotaku, who received their information from a "trusted" source, the PS4 is codenamed Orbis. Here are the highlights of the report:

- Codename: Orbis
- Specs: AMD x64 CPU, AMD Southern Islands GPU
- Games capable of 4096x2160 resolution (also capable of 1080p, of course)
- No PS3 backwards compatibility
- Will not play used games
- Will release Holiday 2013.

Whether these rumors prove false or not, hopefully E3 will reveal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:03:07 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:27:11 AM »

Whether it's true or not, it seems likely. Especially the resolution thing sounds exactly like something Sony would do to differentiate themselves from the competition, even though the system won't be powerful enough to really take advantage of the resolution (just like the current generation isn't powerful enough to handle 1080p in most cases, yet it's still supported).
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »

Not allowing used games and locking disk based games to a single PS4 is a bad idea. If both MIcrosoft and Sony go this route It will be a big F-U to gamers. If only one of them go that way though I suspect it could make all the difference in the system without the lockout feature selling more systems. I know if one has it and the other doesn't, then I will be buying the one that doesn't have it. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Imagine it, you wouldn't be able to take a game to a friends house to play, no more trading forum, no more buying used games, no more gamefly. These things are a part of gaming for a reason.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »

I know I'll be in the minority here, but no PS3 BC will keep me from getting the thing.  At least for a while.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

Same rumor was going around about the next Xbox not playing used games. And another one of it not having a disc drive.

Luckily these rumors have never been confirmed by Sony or Microsoft.

One thing is for sure if there is no PS3 backwards compatibility (anyone remember the playstation "father" claiming BC would continue forever?) I wont be getting it either.
It's hard to justify $60+ on a game this generation if you know it won't be supported come the next generation. I had a ton of PS2 games that I always played on my 60GB model.. until it died and I had to go with a slim and lost one of my favorite features of the PS3.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »

I think i'll be taking a wait and see with this go around. Who knows if any of this is true, but if it is then we had better see game prices come down some. 60 bucks for 15 hours and no resale? No thank you.

I'm pretty happy with the current generation still, and my backlog can keep my gaming for a reeeeeaaally long time.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 29, 2012, 12:49:59 PM

Same rumor was going around about the next Xbox not playing used games. And another one of it not having a disc drive.

Luckily these rumors have never been confirmed by Sony or Microsoft.

One thing is for sure if there is no PS3 backwards compatibility (anyone remember the playstation "father" claiming BC would continue forever?) I wont be getting it either.
It's hard to justify $60+ on a game this generation if you know it won't be supported come the next generation. I had a ton of PS2 games that I always played on my 60GB model.. until it died and I had to go with a slim and lost one of my favorite features of the PS3.

Same thing happened to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »

I can understand getting the bad news out there early to get the negative backlash over with but . . .
You would think after the ps3 launch that they would minimize any potential for bad pr spin: mission failed.
Makes me wonder what's next?  $1000 price @ launch announcement?
If MS$ does not limit the 720 next box the same way . . . Game over.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »

I do not really care about backwards compatibility.  Never remembered wanting that.  I guess if I did, I could just plug in the PS3.

Regardless of what really happens with the next gen, I will be pre-ordering a PS4 first chance I get along with a nice shiny copy of the latest god of war.  icon_biggrin

That said, I am in no rush for the new consoles.  Gaming is good right now, honestly, last couple years have been some of the best I ever remember.  And, for near future, it looks good too.  We got a civ 5 expansion, legend of grimlock, new revamped witcher 2, diablo 3..   

Hell, I am about ready to prestige again in mw3 and I am rolling along in icewind dale 2 and heroes 6 to boot.   Sprinkled with some twisted metal and kingdom of amalur.   I even got a slight itch to play some more skyrim. hahah

Frankly, I never feel like I do not have a good game to play when I get the free time.  Gaming is good right now.   Fabulous

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »

No used games? Na-hah, I don't think so, Sony. That would be douchebaggery and I would flatout pass if that's the case.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 29, 2012, 12:49:59 PM

I think this is the biggest problem with the next gen. A lot of people have invested a bunch of money in marketplace content. The current gen of consoles are "good enough". If I don't have any BC between this gen and last, I'm not buying it.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »

They took away our used games on PC, and I haven't heard of anyone abandoning the platform for that.  I just hope that the console market has an impact on pricing like the PC market did.  Prices seem stickier on console games to me than they do on the PC side.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on March 29, 2012, 03:22:09 PM

I think this is the biggest problem with the next gen. A lot of people have invested a bunch of money in marketplace content.

this is why I'm very selective in what content I get from the marketplace, and the more years the 360 lasts the more selective I'll get.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »

Selective is a relative term, you gaming whore. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 29, 2012, 03:41:12 PM

right now I only grab games that contain at least 2 vowels in them and at least one pronoun.  next year the requirements will be 4 vowels, 2 syllables plus an adverb in the title and the color blue.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 29, 2012, 03:30:32 PM

They took away our used games on PC, and I haven't heard of anyone abandoning the platform for that. 

Aren't PC just used to play WoW these days?  smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 29, 2012, 03:48:39 PM

They took away our used games on PC, and I haven't heard of anyone abandoning the platform for that. 

Aren't PC just used to play WoW these days?  smile

and Farmville.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 29, 2012, 03:46:19 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 29, 2012, 03:41:12 PM

right now I only grab games that contain at least 2 vowels in them and at least one pronoun.  next year the requirements will be 4 vowels, 2 syllables plus an adverb in the title and the color blue.

I'm sure you will enjoy next year's eagerly awaited game: 'The Lovely Pink Adventures Of Blue Boy'.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 05:12:04 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/03/29/the-coming-war-on-used-games/

I respect the fact that developers are upset at Gamestop for reselling products and cutting them out of the loop entirely. But the industry really needs to learn from the Steam model, rather than simply eliminate consumer choice without giving them anything in return. If they would at least match the Gamestop of prices of used games, they would still be making money, while lowering the bar of entry for consumers who want to play their favorite games on a budget.

I see this upcoming war on used games as a significant moment in the industry, and one that’s going to be either very good or very bad for consumers. But in either scenario the winners are the developers while the loser is Gamestop. If these rumors prove true, their luck may have finally run out.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »

Gamestop didn't buy Impulse just because they threw in an order of egg rolls. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 29, 2012, 06:11:30 PM

Well they did include fortune cookies too.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on March 29, 2012, 07:31:07 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 29, 2012, 06:11:30 PM

Well they did include fortune cookies too.

and Brad Wardell's cream of sum yung gai.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »

Have you guys noticed the increased marketing for DLC at GameStop recently?

As far as the specs go, isn't anything above 1080p pointless aside from having increased overhead for FSAA etc at 1080? Sure, some people play on monitors with higher resolution than that, but the vast majority don't and developers won't support anything higher than that anyway.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 29, 2012, 08:22:15 PM

As far as the specs go, isn't anything above 1080p pointless aside from having increased overhead for FSAA etc at 1080? Sure, some people play on monitors with higher resolution than that, but the vast majority don't and developers won't support anything higher than that anyway.
I have noticed the dlc prominence.
Also supposedly they are overshooting so they can support 3-d gaming @ 1080p

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »

Quote from: ras752000 on March 29, 2012, 08:35:30 PM

There's no need for increased resolutions to go above 1080p for 3D. The only thing that matters for this is framerate. Sony tends to make serious attempts to dominate technologically with their consoles, so being ahead of the curve wouldn't be unusual for them. 4K resolutions are starting to appear on newer TVs, and with a 7-year cycle for each generation, it's wise to support that. If Sony's console supports these resolutions and Microsoft's console doesn't, it might not make much of an impact right away, but it will have an impact over time as these TVs become more common. Right now most of us feel like 1080p should be enough for anyone (see what I did there?), yet we're using almost similar resolutions on our PCs, and our phones are halfway there! We felt like 480p was extremely high fidelity once, remember?

There's also the fact that Sony produces TVs. They may be hoping that support for high resolutions on the PS4 will have a synergy effect and lead to more sales of TVs.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »

Re: Gamestop being sued over used games
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »
Quote  Modify  Remove
i have a feeling next gen console will have a feature that attaches a game to the individual console.  Bye bye used game sales.  

Eb games days are numbered eitherway,  look at blockbuster,  bankruptcy is just around the corner for them. Downloadable content is the wave of the future.
from my comment 2 years ago.....ummm Told ya it was coming.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »

They took away our used games on PC, and I haven't heard of anyone abandoning the platform for that.  I just hope that the console market has an impact on pricing like the PC market did.  Prices seem stickier on console games to me than they do on the PC side.

See I don't think this holds water. Until I can work spreadsheets and do my job while on m PlayStation, then the PC is used for far more than gaming. Ergo, I can use my PC for far more than just games. That bend said, BC for my 360 wasn't a big deal. Having two 360s die during the course of my ownership of the console IS a big deal. So the quality of the machine is far more of a concern for me especially considering the costs.

But if they do ban used games then I'm sticking with my PC and swearing off consoles.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »

I was willing to get behind a digital only, no resale world on the PC mainly because prices suddenly started getting stupidly low.  I care a helluva lot less about being able to re-sell my PC games if it costs me $10 or less.  Now, if console games followed the same model of traditionally high initial price and then dropping to bargain bin levels a couple months after, I'll be fine with that.  If prices stay high, then boo.

That said, the last few years have seen console games drop in price fairly quickly after release, which I think is a good thing.  They just haven't gotten down to Steam Sale levels yet.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 29, 2012, 08:53:13 PM

There's no need for increased resolutions to go above 1080p for 3D. The only thing that matters for this is framerate. Sony tends to make serious attempts to dominate technologically with their consoles, so being ahead of the curve wouldn't be unusual for them. 4K resolutions are starting to appear on newer TVs, and with a 7-year cycle for each generation, it's wise to support that. If Sony's console supports these resolutions and Microsoft's console doesn't, it might not make much of an impact right away, but it will have an impact over time as these TVs become more common. Right now most of us feel like 1080p should be enough for anyone (see what I did there?), yet we're using almost similar resolutions on our PCs, and our phones are halfway there! We felt like 480p was extremely high fidelity once, remember?

There's also the fact that Sony produces TVs. They may be hoping that support for high resolutions on the PS4 will have a synergy effect and lead to more sales of TVs.

Seriously? TiLT, our computers have had HIGHER resolutions than 1080P. 1080p is 1920×1080 - my 2005 (7yr old 24" widescreen dell) WUXGA monitor is 1920x1200. 1080p wasn't available at anywhere near a reasonable cost at that time. Then look at the Quad and Hyper XGA resolutions. 1080p still isn't a guaranteed in any new "HD" tv you buy - you still have 720p and 1080i sets on the market.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 02:23:07 AM »

Quote from: Purge on March 30, 2012, 01:36:22 AM

Seriously? TiLT, our computers have had HIGHER resolutions than 1080P. 1080p is 1920×1080 - my 2005 (7yr old 24" widescreen dell) WUXGA monitor is 1920x1200. 1080p wasn't available at anywhere near a reasonable cost at that time. Then look at the Quad and Hyper XGA resolutions. 1080p still isn't a guaranteed in any new "HD" tv you buy - you still have 720p and 1080i sets on the market.

There is no point, higher res on an HDTV won't sell new units. For most people the difference between 720 and 1080 is minimal. Unless you sit unusually close to your TV or have a huge one, you're just not going to be in the sweet spot to make a difference. Not to mention, it's not the larger difference between 480i and 720p. DVD quality (720x480) is also considered good enough by the majority of people (see Blu-ray's abysmal adopt compared to DVD). If this plus 3D support is Sony's selling point, they're going to have one hell of an uphill battle.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:12:53 AM »

Quote from: Purge on March 30, 2012, 01:36:22 AM

What is your point exactly? You're not contradicting anything I said.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 05:39:33 AM »

I'm not sure about the whole "anything over 1080p is pointless" argument. Some people like to say the human eye can't distinguish a difference in framerate above 30fps, but I sure as hell can tell when my games are running at 60fps rather than 30.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 05:58:07 AM »

I think this next go around will be down to content vs. flash, at least for me. I have an original 360 hooked up via component and it looks damn nice. Just these last few months I preordered, DESPITE my having a gamefly membership, Borderlands 2, Witcher 2, and Dragons Dogma. I did so because of the amount of gaming I feel I'll get out of them AND my ability to resell them if they don't pan out. And despite the original being a favorite of mine, I passed on Darkness 2 (due to a different dev and the rumors of it being really short, 8 hours or so). That game should have been a day one purchase, but they simply didn't deliver enough, in my mind, for me to part with 60 bucks.

Deliver content and gameplay and gamers will rush your gates like a horde. We as gamers are a particular, demanding group, but we spend money and are incredibly vocal.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »

Part of the whole 30FPS vs 60FPS debate actually has more to do with input lag, and stuff like motion blur. There's games at 30FPS that have very little input lag and plays just fine.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »

$60 bucks for a game like skyrim, mw3, or civ 5 is one thing, because I can throw a embarrassing amount of hours into them. Hundreds of hours.

No way will I trade them in, until the next one comes out anyways.  Because I will get the itch a few months later and buy them again, heh.

$60 bucks for a 10-15 hour game, with no trade in, well..   I am not doing it, unless it is something like God of War / little big planet quality.

Whatever they pan out I will adapt, so I do not stress it.

The Trusty PC gets half my game time as it is now.   
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

My point was that we've been used to higher density pixel definition long before 1080p was out, and them pushing their tech higher for a product that should have 5-8 year life-span released 18 months from now is not unreasonable.

And this product hasn't been announced - I'm sure Sony won't be making the same mistakes that they made with the PS3 launch ... they'll find entirely new ones.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »

You guys make a point. I was thinking of the resolution thing from the standpoint of TV. It will be many years before we see any sort of broadcast TV at a resolution higher than what we have now. Therefore, why have a TV that supports a higher res than that? And if there aren't tvs with a higher res, why make games with a higher res? Well, the answer might be movies. Are there any new standards on the horizon for movies with higher resolution that might be related to this?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 30, 2012, 04:06:59 PM

You guys make a point. I was thinking of the resolution thing from the standpoint of TV. It will be many years before we see any sort of broadcast TV at a resolution higher than what we have now. Therefore, why have a TV that supports a higher res than that? And if there aren't tvs with a higher res, why make games with a higher res? Well, the answer might be movies. Are there any new standards on the horizon for movies with higher resolution that might be related to this?

Many, many years. Decades even. The only place you can currently find a 4K HDTV is at tradeshows. Even a $5400 Samsung 8000 is still 1920x1080. Considering Blu-ray has been relatively poorly adopted, I don't think any hardware manufacturer is going to risk creating a 4K format.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on March 30, 2012, 05:48:27 PM

Many, many years. Decades even.

Decades? Oh come on! I know it sometimes feels like an eternity since certain technological inventions, but let's keep things in perspective. For comparison, the DVD medium wasn't invented until 1995 and was only introduced in a limited form to the US market in 1997. That's a mere 15 years ago that we still had no choice but to use VHS if we wanted to watch film on our own TVs, and those were CRT screens that barely even handled 480p. It took until the new millennium for DVD to start becoming reasonably well adopted by the public at large. We haven't had full HD screens for more than a few years. The Blu-ray format was officially released in 2006 (less than 6 years ago!), and it wasn't even very widely adopted until it won the format wars in 2008.

The new ultra-high resolution formats are coming, and they're coming faster than you might expect. Whether the public will actually adopt them remains to be seen, but initiatives like having gaming consoles support these resolutions will be a major help in getting these resolutions going.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 30, 2012, 06:10:34 PM

Quote from: Calavera on March 30, 2012, 05:48:27 PM

Many, many years. Decades even.

Decades? Oh come on! I know it sometimes feels like an eternity since certain technological inventions, but let's keep things in perspective. For comparison, the DVD medium wasn't invented until 1995 and was only introduced in a limited form to the US market in 1997. That's a mere 15 years ago that we still had no choice but to use VHS if we wanted to watch film on our own TVs, and those were CRT screens that barely even handled 480p. It took until the new millennium for DVD to start becoming reasonably well adopted by the public at large. We haven't had full HD screens for more than a few years. The Blu-ray format was officially released in 2006 (less than 6 years ago!), and it wasn't even very widely adopted until it won the format wars in 2008.

The new ultra-high resolution formats are coming, and they're coming faster than you might expect. Whether the public will actually adopt them remains to be seen, but initiatives like having gaming consoles support these resolutions will be a major help in getting these resolutions going.

Color NTSC was first broadcast in 1953. NTSC was replaced by ATSC in 2009. So yes, decades. icon_wink Broadcasters are unlikely to switch over their equipment for a 4K spec anytime soon; they're still paying off the capital investment for the ATSC switchover. Keep in mind, too, the HDTV switchover was government mandated in almost all countries. It's not likely a 4K switchover would be. If BluRay isn't pushing 3D TVs at a substantially lower cost than increasing the pixel density of displays, the average consumer isn't going to buy into a higher resolution screen anytime soon.

Edit: Even if you take the standard introduction date (1995) or adoption date (1996) you're still dealing with 13-14 years until implementation. It's just not likely to see widespread adoption for a very long time. A video game console supporting it isn't likely to drive adoption either because it's a comparatively small portion of the overall market.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:15:02 PM by Calavera » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: