http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:46:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 60004 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2360 on: April 30, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 30, 2014, 07:18:38 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 30, 2014, 06:22:52 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2014, 07:53:10 AM

1.70 is now available, and the hunt for hidden changes begins. People are reporting vastly improved response times in the UI, and particularly in the PS Store.

Pre-loading games is big, so is being able to control the brightness on the controller LED. I don't care about all the new steaming and video recording stuff... what portion of PS4 users does that even affect, less than 5%?

It indirectly affects everyone. Any time you watch someone stream a PS4-game on Twitch or put up PS4 videos on YouTube (unless they've got their own capture card), you'll benefit from these updates. Since the streams are now shown in the activity view, they're also becoming a more prominent part of the console.

I mean I don't do any of those things, so *everyone* is a bit of a stretch.

Okay, "everyone" then. I suspect most people who have a PS4 at this point in time also view gaming-related YouTube videos from time to time, or watch gaming streams (an increasingly popular activity, apparently).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2361 on: April 30, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »

I actually would have watched some others streams from these forums if I knew when they were happening. I have to study a lot these days so sometimes it's nice to have someone else play the game for me. Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2362 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »

Yeah, I did try to check out a few streams from my friends list when I booted up my PS4 today, but they were all over.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: April 30, 2014, 10:56:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2014, 08:13:41 PM

1.70 is now available, and the hunt for hidden changes begins. People are reporting vastly improved response times in the UI, and particularly in the PS Store.

Pre-loading games is big, so is being able to control the brightness on the controller LED. I don't care about all the new steaming and video recording stuff... what portion of PS4 users does that even affect, less than 5%?

It indirectly affects everyone. Any time you watch someone stream a PS4-game on Twitch or put up PS4 videos on YouTube (unless they've got their own capture card), you'll benefit from these updates. Since the streams are now shown in the activity view, they're also becoming a more prominent part of the console.

Okay, "everyone" then. I suspect most people who have a PS4 at this point in time also view gaming-related YouTube videos from time to time, or watch gaming streams (an increasingly popular activity, apparently).

I don't.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: April 30, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 30, 2014, 10:56:05 PM

I don't.

Me either. Not even sure how you go about doing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: May 01, 2014, 12:03:27 AM »

You guys are really behind the times, you need help setting your VCR clock too?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: May 01, 2014, 01:10:51 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 30, 2014, 11:19:20 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 30, 2014, 10:56:05 PM

I don't.

Me either. Not even sure how you go about doing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have zero interest in watching other people play games on youtube/whatever and I don't know why anyone would want to watch me play games on whatever interweb service I post it up on.

I do love to record my gaming on my Betamax and personally watch it back for review though.  icon_lol

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: May 01, 2014, 01:53:39 AM »

PewDiePie, who is pretty much posting videos of him playing games, has a video with close to 50 million views and his channel has over 26 million subscribers.  Think about that.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: May 01, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »

I sometimes watch LPs on YouTube.  OneF Jef is pretty hilarious in his videos. Sometimes, especially when it comes to strategy games or simulations that take a heck of a lot of work to get into, it's far more enjoyable to watch someone else playing the game then having to go through all the hard work yourself.  Something like Assassins Creed I would never watch an LP of.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2369 on: May 01, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »

I also own a PS4, and I don't give a crap about watching random streams or streaming my own games as I play.

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 01, 2014, 01:53:39 AM

PewDiePie, who is pretty much posting videos of him playing games, has a video with close to 50 million views and his channel has over 26 million subscribers.  Think about that.

The point is that is a known "personality", not much different from watching videos on Giant Bomb or GameSpot or whatever.  You watch it as much for the person you connect to and their chatter as for the game itself.  Completely different from watching the random masses of people that bring nothing to the experience. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: May 01, 2014, 05:44:31 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 01, 2014, 12:03:27 AM

I barely have time to play the games myself... I have no time whatsoever to watch someone else play a game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: May 01, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 01, 2014, 05:44:31 AM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 01, 2014, 12:03:27 AM

I barely have time to play the games myself... I have no time whatsoever to watch someone else play a game.

This.  Although I would add that I have no interest in it, either.

That includes the "personalities" you're talking about.

The only time I will watch someone play a game who isn't me (or my kid) is when I'm stuck and need a nudge in the right direction.

I guess the point being that everyone or even "everyone" is not everyone.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:16:59 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: May 01, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

Hey, here's a list of more on-topic stuff.

Sony recently announced a list of smaller games coming to PS4, and there are some really excellent titles on the list.

PS4 only:
Nidhogg - Mark Essen's minimalist two-player fencing extravaganza.
Skulls of the Shogun: The Bone-a-Fide Edition - 17-Bit's turn-based strategy game.
Source - Fenix Fire Games' stylish 3D Metroidvania.
Chasm - Discord Games' procedurally-generated adventure platformer.
Jamestown Plus - Final Form Games co-op shmup.
Ironclad Tactics - Zachtronics' rapid-fire card-based strategy game.
Apotheon - AlienTrap's stylish 2D ancient Greek platforming adventure.
Escape Goat 2 - MagicTimeBean's puzzle platformer presented by Double Fine.

Multi-platform:
Spelunky (PS4, PS3, Vita) - Mossmouth's epic action roguelike and maybe greatest game ever.
Drifter (PS4 and Vita) - Celsius Game Studios' space exploration sandbox game.
Starwhal: Just the Tip (PS4, PS3) - Breakfall's minimalist competitive multiplayer game about wobbly space creatures.
Axiom Verge (PS4, Vita) - Pub Fund-supported retro Metroidvania about using glitches to overcome challenges.

There are a lot on there I'm excited about, but the ones that really jump out are Jamestown Plus, Escape Goat 2, and Nidhogg.  But Spelunky, Starwhal, Axion Verge, Chasm...hell, they all look good.

SOURCE

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: May 01, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »

Any time a game uses the word "Metroidvania" to describe its gameplay I am instantly interested and there are 2 of them on that list.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: May 01, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 01, 2014, 12:42:31 PM

Any time a game uses the word "Metroidvania" to describe its gameplay I am instantly interested and there are 2 of them on that list.
Chasm too, just with procedurally generated levels.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2375 on: May 01, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »

Apotheon looks awesome, and Escape Goat 2 is a pretty slick platformer.  I don't have anyone interested in playing local co-op games, so Nidhogg (and Towerfall Ascension) are off my list.  Drifter looks like a good game for the Vita, but once Galak-Z hits, I think that will be a better experience.  I got a response from the guys behind Wayward Souls that it's coming to the Vita as well. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2376 on: May 01, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »

Sony also announced Chariot, a co-op adventure platformer. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 01, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »

I dimmed the light on my dualshock last night, that was pretty neat  icon_biggrin

I wish we had the ability to customize the home screen though, so I can put my most used apps front and center.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 02, 2014, 03:03:22 AM »

Quote from: Caine on May 01, 2014, 04:10:15 PM

Sony also announced Chariot, a co-op adventure platformer. 

The art style here is cracking me up. It's awesome.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 02, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »

When I was young and had no money, companies were putting out bleeding edge games that pushed the limits of any PC I owned. I'd scrape and scrounge every dime to buy a system to keep up with the PC requirements.

Now that I'm old and have disposable income, companies are putting out 2D pixel art side scrollers.

I just can't get excited about (most) indie games. I didn't claw my way to the top of the console food chain and spend hundreds of dollars to play crap that can run on my phone.

When I see these long lists of upcoming games for PS4, I go, "Haha, yeah that's funny. Now show me the REAL games."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2380 on: May 02, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »

Well, that's your choice, and your problem. The rest of us will be over here, enjoying a healthy combination of indie and AAA games.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 02, 2014, 04:10:33 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 02, 2014, 03:03:28 PM

When I was young and had no money, companies were putting out bleeding edge games that pushed the limits of any PC I owned. I'd scrape and scrounge every dime to buy a system to keep up with the PC requirements.

Now that I'm old and have disposable income, companies are putting out 2D pixel art side scrollers.

I just can't get excited about (most) indie games. I didn't claw my way to the top of the console food chain and spend hundreds of dollars to play crap that can run on my phone.

When I see these long lists of upcoming games for PS4, I go, "Haha, yeah that's funny. Now show me the REAL games."

I'm sad for you as most Indie games I play (not saying this one with the screenshots above) are far more creative and REAL than most AAA games.  Not to mention they're better to play with a gamepad than on a phone.  Enjoy your view from the top.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 03, 2014, 01:28:34 AM »

It's not a problem, just a matter of opinion. We don't all have to like the same types of games.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 03, 2014, 01:33:22 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 03, 2014, 01:28:34 AM

It's not a problem, just a matter of opinion. We don't all have to like the same types of games.

I don't dismiss games I don't care for as not REAL games.  Never been into RTSes, for instance.  I'd never not consider them real games.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2384 on: May 03, 2014, 03:28:45 AM »

Eh, I think his words without context and the internet being what it was made YK sound more hateful of what he thinks is a certain class of game. The reality is I think he just wants the spectacle of those big high production, massive studio games when he sits down to play games. I can certainly understand that since I have little time to actually play electronic games due to working on my own game, so when I do game, I do prefer a larger spectacle than what I can currently do with my game.

But overall, games are games.

That said, the idea of a "real" game is a huge issue for marketing overall, and some inflated expectations of this new generation. What he considers real is generally thought of as the AAA games these days, which is an increasingly small number of titles made by an increasingly rare class of developer and publisher. They aren't a sustainable thing if you want to have both a games industry and jobs that people can live by. They are outliers, and that's due to the way tech and cinematic presentation/expectations have moved. They do often pioneer some cool new systems and techniques for smaller devs, but the opposite is more common.

It's going to take 2 years before we see the new generation of these type of games. Even the big launch, or soon after post launch, titles from both MS and Sony have been mostly the same kind of game as before.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: May 03, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »

Yes, Turtle is correct. I certainly don't dismiss all indies as not being real games. I play lots of indies through Steam and own a ton as anyone who looks at my Steam library can attest. I play tons of casual games on my iPad.

It was a figure of speech when sitting down to play games on a console. When I have all that power under the hood and limited gaming time, the idea of playing a 16-bit "retro" platform title doesn't appeal to me. Now, that's not to say there aren't good 16-bit retro platform titles out there - there certainly are. There's also a lot of crap. Being indie doesn't automatically make you original and fun.

It's good that there are smaller, cheaper games available for consoles. I spent more money on downloadable $10-$15 titles on Xbox 360 than I care to admit. But my first love and my first preference is always going to be something that really showcases the power I have at my disposal.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 03, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »

What would you think of something that was retro looking but fully utilized the consoles power for backend stuff? Or does it also have to look pretty?
Haven't dipped my toe in the current generation, and will probably not for several years, but it is hard for me to find a whole lot of appeal in sprite or 16bit graphics. That being said I can go back to something like Monkey Island and be perfectly fine with the visuals, but that probably has more to do with it being part of my past.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: May 04, 2014, 12:45:19 AM »

What would you think of something that was retro looking but fully utilized the consoles power for backend stuff? Or does it also have to look pretty?

It would probably have to look pretty. I know intellectually that graphics aren't everything, but I have a really hard time going back and playing stuff from years ago.

I guess you could say I'm just an indie pessimist rather than an optimist. I don't automatically assume that just because a game was made by a 2-man development team on a limited budget that it's going to be awesome. In fact, I'm inclined to believe it's going to be total garbage. Where others see "charming retro graphics," I see "we couldn't afford to hire artists." Any game has to prove itself to me with reviews or a proven track record before I'm going to really sit up and take notice. But if it can win over critics and/or friends I'll give it a shot no matter what its budget.

I once had a person argue with me that a game was going to be awesome because it was developed by one guy in 12 hours. What kind of f-ed up logic is that? It shows how twisted the "indie" buzzword has become.

In the end, however, more games are more games, and that's a good thing.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 04, 2014, 01:05:35 AM »

Back in he olden days in the 80s and 90s we saw fantastic innovation in gaming. Genres were being invented left and right, and every year we'd see some kind of game unlike anything we had seen before.

Then came.... the clone wars. For every innovative title we'd see 50 copycats, followed by a dozen play-it-safe sequels and then copycats of each of those.  Genres died because they were no longer the flavor of the week and thus no longer potential megahits.

Now we have better opportunities than ever for the little guys to do new things, make 'risky' games in 'unpopular' genres, and have a chance at finding a profitable audience. It's again like the golden ages we saw in the 80s and 90s. And yeah, some of these games have simpler graphics, because it's expensive to make a game look like Infamous. But it's no longer expensive to turn a great game idea into a great game, and that's why the indie space is so exciting despite the graphics averaging not quite as pretty as the AAA world.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2389 on: May 04, 2014, 05:05:55 AM »

Don't tell me that indie games aren't full of 50 clones of the same thing.  How many rogue-likes are there these days?  How many punishingly difficult platformers?  How many survival games?  How many zombie games?  How many "platformers with a twist".  How many games with throwback pixel graphics?  How many Metroidvania games?  How many Minecraft ripoffs?  How many attempted spiritual successors to "your favorite game" from 15-20 years ago?

Some indies do definitely innovate, but the indie games scene is at least as full of copycatting, cloning and following the latest hip trend chasing money as anything the AAA space creates. 

And it's not like the 80's and 90's weren't full of clones either.  They started the clones and numerous sequels.  Genres like standard RTS games died because people don't want to buy those games anymore. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 04, 2014, 05:29:21 AM »

Oh sure, there's still indie dreck today, and there was dreck in the 80s and 90s.  And Threes is a case study in indie cloning.

But even taking that all into account, this feels like a new golden age.  Between Kickstarter, the ease of publishing on iOS, and indie paths to Steam, there's just so much awesome stuff.

I mean, just glancing down my list of installed Steam games...

Banished, Broken Age, Don't Starve, Dust Elysian Tail, FTL, Gone Home, Gunpoint, Invisible Inc, Kentucky Route Zero, Kerbal Space Program, Papers Please, Papo & Yo, Prison Architect, Reus, Spelunky, Starbount, Strike Suit Zero, Banner Saga, Stanley Parable, Shadowrun Returns.

Jebus!  That's not even including the gems of iOS!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: May 04, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »

I can relate to YK's sentiment about small budget indie releases (I emphasize small budget because there are plenty of big budget games being released by indie developers like Gearbox). I used to feel the same but over time the ingenuity of the gameplay in the games won me over. Games like Dear Esther, Amnesia, Outlast,The Swapper, and Hotline Miami were some of my favorite games of recent.

Sony isn't trumpeting indie content as THE reason to own a PS4, they're just acknowledging the value it adds to it. I'm very happy with Sony's humble approach to indie developers.

Sean Lama
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2392 on: May 04, 2014, 04:43:16 PM »

Thanks to all this indie content, I already have a considerable backlog on my PS4 alone. I've got AAA launch games I've barely touched because I've had so much fun with smaller titles.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: May 05, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 04, 2014, 04:43:16 PM

Thanks to all this indie content, I already have a considerable backlog on my PS4 alone. I've got AAA launch games I've barely touched because I've had so much fun with smaller titles.

Same here. The free indie stuff I get via PS Plus has kept me from making impulse purchases of AAA titles due to forum effect and whatnot.

Sean Lama
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 10, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »

Courtesy Game Informer:

Quote from: Mike Futter
Much has been made of Watch Dogs graphics from the earliest reveal at E3 2012 through the most recent trailer focused on the cast. Now, Sony is heating up that conversation, touting that Watch Dogs on PlayStation 4 will offer "the best graphics on any console."

The game’s listing on the PlayStation website makes a bold claim. “Hack everything as you make your way through Chicago’s underground as you experience Watch_Dogs (sic) in a way that only PS4 can provide, at 60 Frames Per Second in 1080p,” says the blurb.

I have a pretty good PC, but after the general optimization problems I encountered with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, I expect to go with the PS4 version of Watch Dogs.

-Autistic Angel
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 10, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 04, 2014, 04:43:16 PM

Same here. I love the variety that comes each week on the PS4. Lots of great stuff!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 11, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »

I think it's pretty obvious that the PS4 will have the best graphics. The real question is is there enough of a disparity that people can actually tell a difference? Probably not.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 11, 2014, 04:00:55 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 11, 2014, 03:02:31 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that the PS4 will have the best graphics. The real question is is there enough of a disparity that people can actually tell a difference? Probably not.

I will be very surprised if the PS4 version of Watch Dogs graphically outshines the PC.  Again, I only have my experience with Ubisoft's last flagship release to go on, but I was immediately able to discern areas where the PC version was superior to the PS4...and that was before the PhysX upgrades.

It was also kind of a pill to get running well.  Ubisoft frequently treats their PC ports as an afterthought, so although the game is technically superior in a few ways, the number of hoops you have to to jump through can make the experience feel worse.  That's why I'm planning to take the easy way out and just go with the console version of Watch Dogs.

-Autistic Angel
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2398 on: May 11, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 11, 2014, 04:00:55 PM

I will be very surprised if the PS4 version of Watch Dogs graphically outshines the PC.

Of course it won't. People never really include the PC in such graphics comparisons, as it's a given that it would always win (unless we're talking about really shitty ports, but those are extremely rare). When someone says that the PS4 version looks best, that means it looks best out of all the console versions.

For the record, Ubisoft has stated that the PC version's max settings is on par with the E3 2012 trailer, while the PS4 is the same as the E3 2013 trailer. Nothing has been said about the Xbox One, but it's reasonable to assume that the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One will be small, and mostly limited to things like AA and resolution.

Then again, this Friday Sony made the claim that the PS4 version runs at 60 fps, which could make for a tremendous difference. There's a large amount of skepticism going around right now, so we'll have to wait and see if Ubisoft makes a statement about this. If they do, it should probably show up tomorrow.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 11, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »

The previous post mentioned Sony having the best graphics on any console so that's what I was referring to. Obviously the PC will be superior.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: