http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 05:43:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 65010 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 24, 2014, 12:26:33 AM »

I found this to be a well written editorial on the subject.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/18/playstation-4-is-winning-the-war-whats-next

Sorry if it's bad form to post a link to another site, but it doesn't seem to be and it's a good piece regardless.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on April 24, 2014, 12:26:33 AM

I found this to be a well written editorial on the subject.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/18/playstation-4-is-winning-the-war-whats-next

Sorry if it's bad form to post a link to another site, but it doesn't seem to be and it's a good piece regardless.

I'm not even sure why it would be bad form. 

Good article.  Most of the points were perhaps obvious, but they were concisely laid out and help to put things in perspective.

The last comment about the list of upcoming PS4 games being woefully small got me thinking.  Sony really enjoyed E3 last year, doling out surprises and countering what the competition was doing.  It worked exceptionally well for them to build momentum.  Imagine they have a bunch of cards in hand of upcoming games (they have to have some games, right?).  Why release any of them now?  Sure, there's the impression that there's nothing in the pipeline, but that impression is not affecting sales.  They still outsold MS even while Titanfall was the best selling game of March.  Holding onto the upcoming games info isn't hurting them.  And assuming they have those cards, they have a full arsenal ready to fire back when they see what the competition is doing.  Or at the least, a barrage to launch at E3.  Or both.

I'm expecting them to try to match the excitement of last year's E3.  We may even get a big game or feature "available right now" kind of announcement.

Of course, Microsoft really does seem to be learning the lesson of last year's stumble and have woken up to the fact that Sony is no longer asleep at the wheel.  This should be a very interesting E3.

And Nintendo will bring back the Vitality Sensor.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 24, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »

I'm not sure how they count Halo 2 Anniversary but leave off Last of Us there.  Also a Quantum Break delay would hardly be surprising, how much did Alan Wake get delayed?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 24, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on April 24, 2014, 01:46:00 PM

I'm not sure how they count Halo 2 Anniversary but leave off Last of Us there.  Also a Quantum Break delay would hardly be surprising, how much did Alan Wake get delayed?

Not to mention The Show. That game will keep me busy throughout the summer.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2324 on: April 24, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Uncharted 4 reveal at E3.  Hoping we see something of Last Guardian, but given how little they've shown us over such a long time, I doubt it.  

Still hoping for a GTA V on current gen and PC.  It would be a great time for Rockstar to take some of the light off of Watch Dogs.  

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: April 24, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 24, 2014, 02:41:23 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Uncharted 4 reveal at E3.  Hoping we see something of Last Guardian, but given how little they've shown us over such a long time, I doubt it.  

Still hoping for a GTA V on current gen and PC.  It would be a great time for Rockstar to take some of the light off of Watch Dogs.  

Uncharted 4 has already been announced, and they're going to want to show that the recent departures haven't affected its development, so that one is a guarantee.  I imagine it'll kick off the show, unless they have a super-juicy hidden card they want to play to get the excitement rolling.

Man, I hope we see Last Guardian, too, though I don't know that it'll have a big place in the E3 launch, as it's becoming increasingly more niche.

If we do see GTA V on the new consoles, I hope I can transfer my save over!

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 24, 2014, 04:55:23 PM »

No one else thinks U4 is being rebooted after all the major players leaving?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2327 on: April 24, 2014, 06:34:12 PM »

There's been a rumor floating around for a while that says we'll be playing GTA 5 on the current-gen consoles before this year's E3. I'm still hoping that's true.

Quote from: leo8877 on April 24, 2014, 04:55:23 PM

No. Don't confuse accepted job offers (the clue for people like Hennig is how she went directly into a new job after leaving ND) with trouble in the ranks. Sometimes you just want to do something new after having worked on the same game series for many years. The voice actor may have been removed as a result of contractual or scheduling problems with his new opportunities. Star Wars is a powerful license, one that can trump many other things.

I believe Uncharted 4 was announced earlier than Naughty Dog really wanted as a result of pressure from Sony. This also means that the dirty laundry from the earlier parts of development, where some things aren't fully set in stone yet, gets exposed in a different way than it would normally have been. Without the early announcement, we might never even have known that this particular voice actor was involved in the first place.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 24, 2014, 06:34:12 PM

There's been a rumor floating around for a while that says we'll be playing GTA 5 on the current-gen consoles before this year's E3. I'm still hoping that's true.

No. Don't confuse accepted job offers (the clue for people like Hennig is how she went directly into a new job after leaving ND) with trouble in the ranks. Sometimes you just want to do something new after having worked on the same game series for many years. The voice actor may have been removed as a result of contractual or scheduling problems with his new opportunities. Star Wars is a powerful license, one that can trump many other things.

I believe Uncharted 4 was announced earlier than Naughty Dog really wanted as a result of pressure from Sony. This also means that the dirty laundry from the earlier parts of development, where some things aren't fully set in stone yet, gets exposed in a different way than it would normally have been. Without the early announcement, we might never even have known that this particular voice actor was involved in the first place.

The game director, writer and creative director, and the voice actor revealed from the announce trailer, that the creative director tells her twitter followers you must follow this actor, all leave under suspicious circumstances does not sound to me like job offer acceptance.  Of course Hennig was going to get a job instantly, she had just come off an amazing gig making amazing games. 

Add to that the art director who came from Irrational where he was for 13 years (who also had just previously gushed about how great the environment was at ND) ups and leaves after just over a year and it sounds to me like strange things are afoot.

I hope I'm being all tinfoil hat, but it seems to be clear that the direction the game was going did not please the powers that be at ND. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2329 on: April 24, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »

Well, just imagine that you're one of those people and EA comes to you and tells you that they want you (and you in particular) to come make an awesome new Star Wars game. They'll give you almost free reigns, they tell you. Wouldn't you accept? I mean, it's Star Wars, a dream license for almost any geek in the world. It's likely that EA approached several people at once in this way.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: April 24, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

Hennig was forced out.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 24, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 24, 2014, 08:16:48 PM

Hennig was forced out.

Do you have some first hand knowledge or is that more internet speculation?   And what does forced out even mean? If she refused to have major character killed off in 4 like Sully or Elena and left over them moving ahead with that for story direction, would that be forced out?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2332 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

Hennig was forced out.

Bullshit! If you've got inside knowledge, then present your sources. Otherwise, don't spread rumors that have already been debunked or abandoned. It went so far that Naughty Dog even sent out a public statement denying that she was forced out. There's lots of speculation that there might have been internal issues over at Naughty Dog (and I don't necessarily agree with these rumors), but most people stopped considering the "forced out" theory as realistic weeks ago.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2333 on: April 25, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »

They refuted the being forced out rumor directly.

However, that doesn't mean people can't just leave after disliking changes mandated by Sony or ND heads.

It is about the right time for there to be turnover at the studio anyway, any large studios will have departures. I think it was a combination of disagreements, along with contracts expiring and wanderlust. Anyone who has worked at ND are prime candidates for poaching too, it's no surprise that everyone who left already has a new job lined up.

I also suspect that there was turmoil over whether or not Nathan Drake would be the main character in U4.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 25, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 25, 2014, 09:36:07 AM

I also suspect that there was turmoil over whether or not Nathan Drake would be the main character in U4.

Out of all the speculation, this one makes the most sense to me. My opinion is that Nathan Drake was not going to be the main character in U4, or maybe not be in it at all, and that did not sit well with Sony or the heads of ND. They view Nathan Drake as their golden goose and to not have him in the game would be taking a major risk and one they did not want to take.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 25, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »

I think she left because she is a sasquatch and the Naughty Dog heads are notoriously anti-bigfoot.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 25, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »

1.70 on apr 30
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2337 on: April 26, 2014, 02:56:04 AM »

At least they're finally giving some patch notes for this update.  I hate how Sony usually does the "System stability and the use of some features has been improved." non-notes.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 26, 2014, 11:14:19 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 25, 2014, 09:36:07 AM

They refuted the being forced out rumor directly.

However, that doesn't mean people can't just leave after disliking changes mandated by Sony or ND heads.

It is about the right time for there to be turnover at the studio anyway, any large studios will have departures. I think it was a combination of disagreements, along with contracts expiring and wanderlust. Anyone who has worked at ND are prime candidates for poaching too, it's no surprise that everyone who left already has a new job lined up.

Oh please you say to me to show proof. Look at the simple series of events and use common sense. You don't publicly announce a huge game like Uncharted 4 and stick Hennig's name front and center when you do it to let people know who's making it. Then a few months later she's just gone with no pubic post about loving her time at ND but its time to have new experiences etc etc.. Then several other key people leave. So spare me the "its bullshit" comments. Also ND statement "refuting" the force out means nothing but PR spin. If Hennig left on good terms she would have made a public statement saying so. You guys can stick your head in the sand if you want.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2339 on: April 26, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 26, 2014, 11:14:19 AM

If Hennig left on good terms she would have made a public statement saying so.

The big impression I get out of your post, and particularly the quoted line, is that you really don't understand how the industry works. Your claims are nothing but conspiracy theories based on flimsy "evidence" and misunderstood observations of the relationship between jobs and press releases in the industry. You're connecting the wrong dots for all the wrong reasons.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2340 on: April 26, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »

On the naughty dog site, they very specifically refuted it. That's my proof. Where's yours other than more hearsay?

Being forced out, and leaving due to creative differences are two very different things.

And that doesn't mean that the project is having problems. But frankly what project doesn't have problems?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2341 on: April 26, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »

Actually, they only refuted that "Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired."  They said nothing about whether Hennig was fired, or "forced out" or anything like that.  To me, not directly addressing that portion of the "rumor" says more than what they did address.

And I tend to agree with Jumangi, if it was an amicable parting then Hennig would have said so when all of this news cropped up.   But she didn't, not even on her personal Twitter account.  Once again, silence speaks louder than words. 

Also, she did not join LucasArts immediately, there was at least a month between leaving NaughtyDog and joining Lucas.  That's plenty of time for a high profile person to have talked with multiple studios and get the offer then.

Regardless, this is the PS4 thread and not the Naughty Dog thread...

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 26, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 26, 2014, 04:46:05 PM

Also, she did not join LucasArts immediately, there was at least a month between leaving NaughtyDog and joining Lucas.  That's plenty of time for a high profile person to have talked with multiple studios and get the offer then.

Don't have a ton of opinion on any other things on this topic, but I've generally taken at least a month between jobs even when I have an offer signed. Time off is nice, yo. Don't read into that gap at all.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 26, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 26, 2014, 12:27:48 PM

The big impression I get out of your post, and particularly the quoted line, is that you really don't understand how the industry works. Your claims are nothing but conspiracy theories based on flimsy "evidence" and misunderstood observations of the relationship between jobs and press releases in the industry. You're connecting the wrong dots for all the wrong reasons.

Ignorance is bliss  "Mr Insider".
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2344 on: April 26, 2014, 11:23:51 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 26, 2014, 08:25:39 PM

Quote from: TiLT on April 26, 2014, 12:27:48 PM

Ignorance is bliss  "Mr Insider".

I'll have to accept your superior experience in this regard, sir.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 28, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »

Naughty Dog lead character artist has left the studio

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5660592/naughty-dog-lead-character-artist-michael-knowland-leaves-studio
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2346 on: April 28, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »

Yeah, this is starting to look like more than just isolated incidents. My theory is that Naughty Dog wanted to develop a new title unrelated to Uncharted and The Last of Us, but Sony (or the upper management at Naughty Dog) wouldn't let them, instead wanting them to focus on these already existing successes. As a result, some of the more creative people decided to leave for new jobs with more creative freedom.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: April 28, 2014, 02:26:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 28, 2014, 01:28:06 PM

Yeah, this is starting to look like more than just isolated incidents. My theory is that Naughty Dog wanted to develop a new title unrelated to Uncharted and The Last of Us, but Sony (or the upper management at Naughty Dog) wouldn't let them, instead wanting them to focus on these already existing successes. As a result, some of the more creative people decided to leave for new jobs with more creative freedom.

That's the best theory I've read so far, but I thought ND had total control of their destiny, especially considering their success this last generation.  I wonder if we'll ever really find out what is happening.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 28, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »

The sad thing is Uncharted 4 starring Nathan Drake is pretty much the least interesting thing that studio could be doing.  I thought U3 was already one Uncharted too many.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2349 on: April 28, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »

Rumor has it that they are working on a dramatic take on their original character- Crash Bandicoot.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 28, 2014, 04:28:24 PM

Rumor has it that they are working on a dramatic take on their original character- Crash Bandicoot.

Is this for real?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 29, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 28, 2014, 04:33:54 PM

Is this for real?

It's a real rumor, yes.

I loved the PSX games so I'm up for a new one.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: April 29, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2014, 07:04:44 PM

Is this for real?

It's a real rumor, yes.

Well minus the "dramatic take" bit.   In one of the Sony PS4 vids there's this sign.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: April 29, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »

Ok, this is a great commercial for The Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOP1oSAFRqc&feature=youtu.be
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2354 on: April 30, 2014, 07:53:10 AM »

1.70 is now available, and the hunt for hidden changes begins. People are reporting vastly improved response times in the UI, and particularly in the PS Store.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on April 29, 2014, 10:43:46 PM

Ok, this is a great commercial for The Show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOP1oSAFRqc&feature=youtu.be

Where's the mullet? I do like this line "Baseball is better than babies. There's no crying in baseball."

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: April 30, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2014, 07:53:10 AM

1.70 is now available, and the hunt for hidden changes begins. People are reporting vastly improved response times in the UI, and particularly in the PS Store.

Pre-loading games is big, so is being able to control the brightness on the controller LED. I don't care about all the new steaming and video recording stuff... what portion of PS4 users does that even affect, less than 5%?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2357 on: April 30, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 30, 2014, 06:22:52 PM

Pre-loading games is big, so is being able to control the brightness on the controller LED. I don't care about all the new steaming and video recording stuff... what portion of PS4 users does that even affect, less than 5%?

It indirectly affects everyone. Any time you watch someone stream a PS4-game on Twitch or put up PS4 videos on YouTube (unless they've got their own capture card), you'll benefit from these updates. Since the streams are now shown in the activity view, they're also becoming a more prominent part of the console.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2358 on: April 30, 2014, 07:01:31 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 29, 2014, 07:04:44 PM

Is this for real?

It's a real rumor, yes.

I was totally kidding smile

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: April 30, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 30, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

Quote from: Ridah on April 30, 2014, 06:22:52 PM

It indirectly affects everyone. Any time you watch someone stream a PS4-game on Twitch or put up PS4 videos on YouTube (unless they've got their own capture card), you'll benefit from these updates. Since the streams are now shown in the activity view, they're also becoming a more prominent part of the console.

I mean I don't do any of those things, so *everyone* is a bit of a stretch.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: