http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 02:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 63   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 57123 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 15, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »

Out for delivery here too.

Currently moving the PS3 into the living room for the kids.   Still can't patch the PS3 because Sony's servers are jacked up.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 15, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »

Mine is sitting in the closet, waiting for Christmas.   crybaby

Of course, I have a few days without the kids next week, so I'll probably hook it up to ensure that the HDMI ports are working and that it boots correctly, so that Christmas morning doesn't turn into Tech Support Afternoon.  I'll also be able to get it configured and updated so that there won't be an extended 'wait' period after the kids open it up.  Of course, I'm not going to open any of the games, no matter how tempted I am.  I'm just setting it up for the kids, not as an excuse to get to fiddle with it in advance.

I don't suppose any of you early owners can tell a fellow if there are any demos available yet? ninja
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1602 on: November 15, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »

Demos? There's actually completely free to play games to download and play, and if you own some PS3 games like Flower and Flow, you can try those.

Some indies should also be there day one.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: November 15, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »

Ah, I forgot about all the F2P titles.   Those would need to be downloaded and, er, configured in advance, too!
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 15, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

PS4 and AssCreed IV out for delivery! Apparently my LEGO Marvel pre-order was too late for the first shipment. Still stuck in limbo.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1605 on: November 15, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on November 15, 2013, 05:49:50 PM

Ah, I forgot about all the F2P titles.   Those would need to be downloaded and, er, configured in advance, too!

You should also get PS+, as in right now. Then "purchase" the free games from the PS4 store to register them and they'll be yours for the duration of your subscription. By the time the kids unwrap the gift, there will most likely already be a different set of games available for free.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1606 on: November 15, 2013, 05:55:08 PM »

funny that the servers are getting blasted when you can still download the full update through web without issue.  

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1607 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 15, 2013, 05:52:30 PM

You should also get PS+, as in right now. Then "purchase" the free games from the PS4 store to register them and they'll be yours for the duration of your subscription. By the time the kids unwrap the gift, there will most likely already be a different set of games available for free.

also, keep an eye out on Black Friday as both Gamestop and Amazon are going to have 1 year PSN cards for $30.  I'm hoping to get a few myself. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1608 on: November 15, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 15, 2013, 05:55:08 PM

funny that the servers are getting blasted when you can still download the full update through web without issue.  

From what I'm hearing, the server issues are only affecting a limited group of users, not everyone. Some are reporting that they haven't got any issues at all, while others can't even download anything.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1609 on: November 15, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »

Probably server locations. And it's smart to keep the website based update download separate from the console update servers, just in case this exact problem happens.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 15, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »

It's here! Now I just have to get through customer calls so I can sneak downstairs and set it up.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 15, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »

Had a near heart attack this morning.

Knowing my gaming habits, it seemed wise to update the HDD right away.  I swapped it with no issues, physically.  Popped in the USB with the 1.50 update (the 8gb one), connected the controller, selected the update option like the website said and things were underway...until the PS4 "encountered a serious issue" that is.

In the movie version of my life, they would have cut to an exterior shot to hear me screaming, "Nooooooo!"

It occurred to me, though, that "Update" didn't actually make sense.  Sure enough, I tried again, and there was an option for Reinitialize (or somesuch).  A few minutes later, I was up and running.

I have had some network issues, but they seemed temporary.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 15, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »

I've had PS+ since the day I got my PS3.  It has brought much joy.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1613 on: November 15, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on November 15, 2013, 06:25:10 PM

I've had PS+ since the day I got my PS3.  It has brought much joy.

Then you've got two full games waiting for you to... ahem... "troubleshoot" the PS4 with. slywink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 15, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »

Trying to connect PS4 to network ether through wifi or LAN and it keeps asking me if I want to use a proxy and I keep saying no and it keeps looping. Anyone seeing this?

Note this is my home network not the PSN.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 15, 2013, 07:22:39 PM

Trying to connect PS4 to network ether through wifi or LAN and it keeps asking me if I want to use a proxy and I keep saying no and it keeps looping. Anyone seeing this?

Ok manually updated firmware from USB and it connected fine now.  My $10 code worked fine, but my free month of PSN code did not work.  I am already signed up for PS+, is that why?  Said the code as incorrect or no longer valid.  Setting up the iOS app was a snap and the OS is fast!!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: November 15, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »

Anyone know how to quickly get to a message from a friend?

Also how do you find your download list like on the PS3, so you can download previously purchased software.  Trying to download Flower, but it wants me to buy and I've already bought it.  Resogun downloaded fine so not PSN.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1617 on: November 15, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 15, 2013, 08:06:45 PM

Also how do you find your download list like on the PS3, so you can download previously purchased software.  Trying to download Flower, but it wants me to buy and I've already bought it.  Resogun downloaded fine so not PSN.

I haven't got the console, but my understanding is that there is no longer a download list in the way you know it. Once you've installed a game, it'll be a permanent part of your library. This goes for disc-based games as well, even if the disc isn't in the drive. To download games again, you go to its entry in the library.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: November 15, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 15, 2013, 08:17:31 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on November 15, 2013, 08:06:45 PM

I haven't got the console, but my understanding is that there is no longer a download list in the way you know it. Once you've installed a game, it'll be a permanent part of your library. This goes for disc-based games as well, even if the disc isn't in the drive. To download games again, you go to its entry in the library.

Hmm I don't see Flower in there.  I see you can add it to cart and then select pay or free version once it's in the cart, but I can't download it.  Maybe PSN issue.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: November 15, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »

Switching between game and main screen is a snap.  At least when the game is Resogun it was, haven't tried with anything else.  PSN seems snappy enough for me.  I did not have to do any audio/video connection, it just was set.  I should probably go check.  The controller speaker was a shock.  Not sure if I like it or not.  In Resogun it's used quite prominently. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: November 15, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 15, 2013, 07:22:39 PM

I had this problem too, I just skipped past it and then manually set up the network from the settings menu.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 15, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »

OK, have played a little of Resogun and Contrast and everything seems to be working fine, so hopefully I have dodged the brick bullet.

Remote play is so cool although it remains to see yet how well it will work overall. I tried it with Resogun and got a lot of compression artifacts and one major interruption, but Contrast worked perfectly and looked great. I don't know if that's because faster moving games will not work as well or because I was having an issue on my network. I chose to use the network option and not connect direct to the PS4. I hope they come up with some way for the Vita to wake the PS4 from standby, though, because otherwise you have to leave the PS4 running.

Also, has anyone seen a way to adjust the controls? I would much rather map the Vita L1/R1 to PS4 L2/R2.

Download speeds I can already tell are 100% better than on PS3, at least for me.

Other than that I mostly have to start playing around with it before I'll have more impressions.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1622 on: November 15, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 15, 2013, 08:42:00 PM

Remote play is so cool although it remains to see yet how well it will work overall. I tried it with Resogun and got a lot of compression artifacts and one major interruption, but Contrast worked perfectly and looked great. I don't know if that's because faster moving games will not work as well or because I was having an issue on my network. I chose to use the network option and not connect direct to the PS4. I hope they come up with some way for the Vita to wake the PS4 from standby, though, because otherwise you have to leave the PS4 running.

A direct connection gives better performance, and you should make sure your PS4 is using wired Internet, not wi-fi. At least if you can. This will give you the optimal performance for Remote Play.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 15, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 15, 2013, 08:48:36 PM

A direct connection gives better performance, and you should make sure your PS4 is using wired Internet, not wi-fi. At least if you can. This will give you the optimal performance for Remote Play.

Yeah, for the moment it is on wi-fi because I need to do a lot of rewiring/shifting around to get the new consoles in place. I don't want to put the PS3 and 360 away yet, but I don't really have room for them in my entertainment center, so I'll have to figure that out.

As for the direct connection - it's a pretty far distance from my bedroom to the PS4, so I figure I will get better performance over the network (I have an access point upstairs), but I can try it out.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: November 15, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »

I've been reading a bunch of reviews and now I better understand why some reviewers are saying the PS4 is not much of a multimedia console by comparison to XB1. However, everything I saw looks like it could easily be remedied as they tweak and refine the UI. I don't want to go through every point, but it's mostly just clunky interface type stuff, and the fact that multimedia apps are buried a bit, can't be activated through voice, etc.

I'm sure a lot of these issues will be ironed out over time.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: November 15, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »

I wish the app for iOS was the store itself instead of a portal to the website.  Real clunky.  Also the hoops to be able to use phone to enter codes it no faster than just using the new DS4. DS4 is great btw!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 15, 2013, 09:07:31 PM »

Download speeds I can already tell are 100% better than on PS3, at least for me.

Same, PSN has been fast!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1627 on: November 15, 2013, 09:25:19 PM »

Woohoo, UPS just dropped mine off right after lunch!  smile  Day off for playing games, here I come.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1628 on: November 15, 2013, 09:29:15 PM »

Mine just came in and I hooked it up and it downloaded the update extremely fast.  Trying to logon to PSN and it just sits there saying please wait.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 15, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

Quote from: shon on November 15, 2013, 09:29:15 PM

Mine just came in and I hooked it up and it downloaded the update extremely fast.  Trying to logon to PSN and it just sits there saying please wait.

According to this:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237

PSN is currently offline.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1630 on: November 15, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on November 15, 2013, 09:36:26 PM

Quote from: shon on November 15, 2013, 09:29:15 PM

According to this:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237

PSN is currently offline.

I just got that message when I tried for the 3rd time so they are having issues. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 15, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »

UGH, I think UPS has lost my PS4.  I just saw them pulling away from my house, went immediately outside, and there is no package!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: November 15, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:04:02 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 15, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »

I was kicked off the PSN earlier saying it was in maintenance, but it's connected fine for me now.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 15, 2013, 10:01:05 PM

Well it's almost 3 pm and no PS4 yet, I expect a note like this on the door when I get home from work.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: November 15, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »

I am going to take the lack of impressions as a good sign. Everyone is too busy playing.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 15, 2013, 11:07:32 PM »

Well, so far the Playstation 4 launch experience has turned out to be melange of all the worst pre-release reports from around the internet. icon_frown

1) I had to look to see if there were any metal clips threatening to short out the HDMI port.  Everything was fine, meaning our console is in the 99.96th percentile -- common as dirt, basically.

2) The PS4 controller uses a different charging USB charging cable than the PS3, so we had to uncoil the one in the box rather than just using the one that was already out.  Would it really have killed Sony to keep that same standard?

3) A firmware update was required before we could sign into PSN.  Another ten minutes I'll never get back.

4) Killzone: Shadowfall also wanted to patch before it would go online.  It took me so long to figure out how to press the PS button and close the game that by the time I looked at the controller and pushed that button, the update had already downloaded and finished applying itself in the background.

5) PSN threw an error when we tried to activate the PS4 as the "Primary" machine.  We had to click "Retry" before it would finally go through.

6) It's true: Call of Duty: Ghosts needed a patch before it would play the campaign at a rock-solid frame rate in 1080p.  Somewhere out there, people responsible for the Arch Deluxe sandwich are high-fiving that someone finally fucked up a product launch even worse than they did.

7) The console wobbles if you stab down on the front left corner with your finger.  Basically, only sure way to prevent this is to not stab it at all.

"Clusterfuck" doesn't even do this justice.  Just...ugh.  Days like this, I honestly wonder if I ever should have given up gaming in favor of competitive grousing.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:13:48 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 15, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »

Snicker.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1638 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »

oh yeah.  another awesome AA post.  I can always spot one without reading you wrote it biggrin

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 15, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »

Umm, that doesn't sound like beyond a clusterfuck, AA. Annoying is what I got out of your post. Or was it sarcasm?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 63   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: