http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 05:22:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbis. aka PlayStation 4? The rumors are put to rest.  (Read 70300 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: November 13, 2013, 06:07:26 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 13, 2013, 05:45:52 AM

The official Playstation 4 manual is now online.

The iOS app is out, too!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: November 13, 2013, 06:12:59 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 13, 2013, 06:07:26 AM

Quote from: TiLT on November 13, 2013, 05:45:52 AM

The official Playstation 4 manual is now online.

The iOS app is out, too!

If you look at the trophies through the app, it shows what % of users have achieved a trophy.  I think there was some concern earlier that it would just show a value assigned by sony to determine rarity.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 13, 2013, 06:21:40 AM »

dude, charge your phone!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: November 13, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »

I'm glad that it shows the rarity of all your trophies, not just the PS4 ones.

One more day....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: November 13, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »

Twas The Night Before PS4 launch at Amazon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgxnukX68s&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhbgxnukX68s&app=desktop

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: November 13, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »

Today is the day that the Taco Bell PS4 winners will be receiving their systems. smile

Should have a ton of impressions of the system today.

Also, Sony released the official 1.5 firmware last night. The other that was posted earlier was just a mislabeled 1.0....

http://dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/image/2013_1112/sys_df008b5601f4a214a3cc65030a02ac4a/PS4UPDATE.PUP

Download that now and put it on a USB stick so that you don't have to fight the crush of people on Friday trying to update.

Here is how to update the PS4 using a USB stick:

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/index.htm#update-computer

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: November 13, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 13, 2013, 11:47:00 AM

Holy crap who knew that Amazon had hot chicks boxing up the PS4s?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: November 13, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 13, 2013, 12:09:31 PM

Holy crap who knew that Amazon had hot chicks boxing up the PS4s?

now everyone knows what size box to be on the lookout for on Friday biggrin

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: November 13, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »

Haven't pre-ordered yet?  Well, if you live in NYC , Sony has made available 444 units at a special event.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1449 on: November 13, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »

The first few game reviews are rolling in now. Knack is getting slaughtered (it was a pipe dream anyway, but it would have been nice if it was actually good), while the rest of the games seem to be getting good to awesome review scores. The biggest title is of course Killzone, which at the time of writing has garnered scores between 7 and 9 out of 10. Biggest score so far is 9.5 for Flower from IGN.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: November 13, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »

Yeah, Knack scores are pretty disappointing. I hope I like it more than Kameo, a similar kind of launch game for the 360 which I hated.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: November 13, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »

Polygon PS4 review 7.5

It's a pretty long read and they cover everything.  There is also a video review

XBox One review is next week of course

Joystiq Hardware review... no score yet.. looks like they are going to string it out till Friday

C-Net Hardware Review - Potential, but can wait since most killer games will appear in 2014
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:05:33 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1452 on: November 13, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 13, 2013, 02:28:35 PM

Polygon PS4 review 7.5

Polygon has no credibility when it comes to consoles, not after they got $750,000 from Microsoft to make a documentary about themselves when their site first launched. From what I've heard, they consequently rate Playstation stuff lower than other sites while praising Xbox stuff.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1453 on: November 13, 2013, 02:52:04 PM »

Polygon PS4 review 7.5

It's a pretty long read and they cover everything.  There is also a video review

Man, I love their page design on this. Jealous.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: November 13, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 13, 2013, 02:52:04 PM

Polygon PS4 review 7.5

Yeah I love their page design.   I didn't think the review was unfair, and the logic was reasoned out.   I think 7.5 was a bit low though
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 13, 2013, 02:56:05 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 13, 2013, 02:52:04 PM

Polygon PS4 review 7.5

Yeah I love their page design.   I didn't think the review was unfair, and the logic was reasoned out.   I think 7.5 was a bit low though

Looks like they took off points for basically playing it safe with Sony not really taking any chances this gen. 

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: November 13, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »

They do have nice page design.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: November 13, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 13, 2013, 02:10:10 PM

Yeah, Knack scores are pretty disappointing. I hope I like it more than Kameo, a similar kind of launch game for the 360 which I hated.

I never imagined Knack to be anything amazing.  I loved Kameo, for what it was worth, so if it is as good as that, I will be pleased.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »

Polygon PS4 review 7.5

new to me:

• absence of Bluetooth headphone audio support for the PS4 at launch. - how in the world did this happen?  Didn't most PS3 multiplayer gamers use bluetooth headsets?
  • the new options and share buttons are far too flush with the face of the controller and take too much pressure to use. - this one is a positive to me.  I have no interest in using the share button, so having it impossible to hit accidentally sounds great
  • the [controller] battery life appears to sit somewhere in the 7-8 hour neighborhood - hmm.  long enough for a gaming session but I'll need to be more diligent about sticking the controller back on the charger stand every time.  Seems like I'd have to get a 2nd controller so I can swap in fresh batteries if needed
  • The PS4 also lacks any meaningful digital library management. Games are listed in an endless horizontal line with no organizational options whatsoever. - really?  if true, very clumsy.  Something I'd expect them to improve with a patch some day, but a weird omission for the early experience
  • The console lacks a sleep feature, - really?  I thought I heard for sure that it did
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1459 on: November 13, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2013, 03:03:11 PM

• The console lacks a sleep feature, - really?  I thought I heard for sure that it did

Argh, it's Polygon! Don't overanalyze their article. Tongue The console does support standby, but games can't stay in standby through this operation until an upcoming firmware patch. The games can sleep indefinitely as long as the console is on, and the console itself can sleep without trouble at any time (and shouldn't be turned off unless you want to conserve power).
    The Grue

View Profile
    « Reply #1460 on: November 13, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »

They announced it wouldn't be there at launch, but would come in a patch sometime after.

The Grue

View Profile
    « Reply #1461 on: November 13, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 13, 2013, 03:08:32 PM

Argh, it's Polygon! Don't overanalyze their article. Tongue The console does support standby, but games can't stay in standby through this operation until an upcoming firmware patch. The games can sleep indefinitely as long as the console is on, and the console itself can sleep without trouble at any time (and shouldn't be turned off unless you want to conserve power).

You answered him more thoroughly than I did. smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
      « Reply #1462 on: November 13, 2013, 03:11:01 PM »

I'm not afraid to read biased reviews, as long as I'm aware of the bias going in. smile  And your fact-check is exactly why I posted the items that made me raise an eyebrow.
        Purge
        Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
        « Reply #1463 on: November 13, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »

• The console lacks a sleep feature, - really?  I thought I heard for sure that it did

I guess my take is "what do I get for my money" now, not later. Sofar, no MP3, no DLNA (which I use regularly), no sleep function, and no games organization. Hell, I still have a PS3 BT headset I can't use.

Gonna start with the negatives first:

My concerns (as I stated way back in the day) was that next gen brings something new to all this - better resolution isn't it - I have PC gaming nailed down for that task. I was looking forward to a more intuitive XMB - and while it sounds like it has it, I *hate* the 360's use of "My Games" - which is exactly what PS4 has at this time.

Having had hands on the controller for a while now, something I found annoying (on the PC, mind you) is that the touchpad is easily "accidentally" triggered. Also, on the kiosk at least I got to experience the touch function in navigation. It wasn't compelling as it was slow- I switched to the D-Pad for better response though understandably it isn't necessarily representative of the final product or the creative uses. I consider the touchpad to be an innovative step and am very much looking forward to how it's used.

I've read the Polygon review, and here are several things:

1) Sexy, sexy design of the page slywink
          2) The camera is thankfully not included. It is not next-gen (or at least, having to have full light is very limiting). I hope this camera is replaced in the future with something more compelling.
          3) The PS4 is a beast in the box, but there is no yard for it to play (yet). The PS4 is something I *will* own, based on everything it stands for. But I just don't want to have all that money tied up in a launch console at full price with zero reason to turn it on. I'm going to my rule of 5 - 5 compelling titles that are must-haves on the console.
          4) The battery life and short cable are design issues that need to be addressed. I'll be pissed if MS's controllers die in 7-8 hours too.

I love the idea of the earphone jack in the controller - but I don't know if it also supports headsets without cutting out the HDMI/Optical. I am also concerned with how hard this hits the already compromised battery life.

Either way, I simply *can't* justify owning the system, with no exclusive games that I want to play on it yet.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
          CeeKay
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
          « Reply #1464 on: November 13, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »

no sleep function?  OUT.

slywink

Because I can,
          YellowKing

View Profile
          « Reply #1465 on: November 13, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »

Yeah, I'm in same boat as Purge. I have no doubt the PS4 will have some kick ass exclusives down the line, and with all that power to run them we should see some fantastic looking games. Hoping there are some good game announcements tomorrow that will make picking one up in the spring worthwhile.
          Purge
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
          « Reply #1466 on: November 13, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »

Resogun looks absolutely magnificent though "levels" means "green dystopian city" vs "blue dystopian city".
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYHyyZon9M

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
          Purge
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
          « Reply #1467 on: November 13, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »

Oh, I missed commenting in my line above in the "does not have" is that they're using 2.4GHz band for wireless rather than using the 802.11ac standard. With a 10yr lifespan, I'd like to see that kind of thing in the box. (yes, if MS uses 2.4Ghz a/b/g/n I will also complain slywink) Also, 802.11ad may replace it, but that isn't out yet. Setting yourself to a product from 2009 is ... limiting?

CeeKay
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
          « Reply #1468 on: November 13, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 13, 2013, 04:06:34 PM

Yeah, I'm in same boat as Purge. I have no doubt the PS4 will have some kick ass exclusives down the line, and with all that power to run them we should see some fantastic looking games. Hoping there are some good game announcements tomorrow that will make picking one up in the spring worthwhile.

ditto, but it wouldn't surprise me if most announcements made tomorrow won't be for fall 2014 titles.  I think I'll probably be waiting until 2015 at this point.

Because I can,
          CeeKay
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
          « Reply #1469 on: November 13, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 13, 2013, 04:09:22 PM

Resogun looks absolutely magnificent though "levels" means "green dystopian city" vs "blue dystopian city".

that does look cool, but I got Super Stardust and haven't really touched it, I think twin stick shooters aren't my thing.

Because I can,
          TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
          « Reply #1470 on: November 13, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 13, 2013, 04:16:41 PM

Quote from: Purge on November 13, 2013, 04:09:22 PM

that does look cool, but I got Super Stardust and haven't really touched it, I think twin stick shooters aren't my thing.

You need to be ready to get into "the zone" to really enjoy this kind of game. If you've got distractions around you, or limited time, you're not going to really get what the game is about. Give Super Stardust a chance if you can. It's an awesome game.
          wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
          « Reply #1471 on: November 13, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »

PA Report Writeup on the PS4
          Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
          « Reply #1472 on: November 13, 2013, 04:35:19 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 13, 2013, 04:06:34 PM

Yeah, I'm in same boat as [insert console supporter here]. I have no doubt the [Insert Console name here] will have some kick ass exclusives down the line, and with all that power to run them we should see some fantastic looking games. Hoping there are some good game announcements [Insert console makers next announcement date] that will make picking one up in the [date in future] worthwhile.

this works for both sides right now.  sadly, this message 'the best is yet to come' gets drowned out in the ever popular message of 'crap on the other guy'.

Purge
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
          « Reply #1473 on: November 13, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »

Absolutely. I'm not talking XB1 in the PS4 thread though. slywink

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/think-the-ps4-reviews-are-bullshit-not-so-fast

People are trying to hold onto the idea that the experience is going to be different from what they're reading for PS4 game reviews and impressions, and it doesn't look like that's the case - final code, no PR leading. Reviewers had complete control of the system.

Mike Dunn was there (IIRC) and he enjoyed himself.
          « Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:44:23 PM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
          « Reply #1474 on: November 13, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 13, 2013, 04:42:41 PM

Mike Dunn was there (IIRC) and he enjoyed himself.

Mike was crapping on another guy?

Because I can,
          farley2k

View Profile
          « Reply #1475 on: November 13, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 13, 2013, 04:33:36 PM

If found this to be the best quote.

This is the trend when it comes to the PlayStation 4: It doesnít do as much as the Xbox One, but who said it had to? Itís a well-designed, often elegant piece of hardware with more power than its competitor while still costing $100 less. The experience out of the box is simple and easy to understand. It's a system that wants to be plugged in and played. It doesn't want to drive your entire home theater, it just wants to let you play some games.

Punisher

View Profile
          « Reply #1476 on: November 13, 2013, 04:58:26 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 13, 2013, 11:47:00 AM

I'm surprised at how slow they pack... I always thought Amazon had groups of overseers with whips yelling "faster, faster".. I am kind of glad they let them go at a decent pace and not run the employees ragged..
          CeeKay
          Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
          « Reply #1477 on: November 13, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 13, 2013, 04:58:26 PM

I'm surprised at how slow they pack... I always thought Amazon had groups of overseers with whips yelling "faster, faster".. I am kind of glad they let them go at a decent pace and not run the employees ragged..

those are the PR employees, the whipped ones are kept out of sight.

Because I can,
          Dante Rising

View Profile
          « Reply #1478 on: November 13, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »

I just order a new GTX 780ti graphics card for the gaming rig I'm building. My fiancee was LESS than pleased to see me spending $730 on a video card, but she finally calmed down.

Today I suddenly remembered that a couple months ago i had ordered a Day 1 PS4 Killzone bundle. I had completely forgotten about it, and the reason I was able to appease her on the video card was because that was my final big gaming purchase of the year. If that $500 Amazon box had shown up on our door, I'd probably be looking for a new woman. Lol.

So, I cancelled the system a few minutes ago. I know I'll eventually grab the PS4 and XB1, but for the first time in three (?) different console launches I've decided to sit this one out. Best luck to all of you that are excited about release day! I hope everything meets your expectations!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
          « Reply #1479 on: November 13, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

PA Report Impressions of the PS4 Controller

It continues to get universal acclaim, and "having used both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 controllers for a significant amount of time, I find the PlayStation 4 option much better. This is the best next-generation controller on the market."

But I am definitely annoyed to see there's currently no way to disable the glowy part of the controller.  I'll have to see in person how bright it is, but I'm usually annoyed by this sort of thing.
          Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 66   Go Up
            Print  

Jump to: